Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Recommended only for completionists and huge fans of the series. Are those a thing?

I don't own any of them on DVD, but I have seen every Chucky movie so I am a completionist in that sense. I'd even say that whichever Child's Play movie is my least favorite, it isn't as bad as my least favorite Freddy or Texas Chainsaw or Halloween (sorry to keep mentioning this!) installment.

Spawn - On paper, this should be my favorite movie ever. It's about a guy with a dangerous job who dies in the line of duty, then is brought back to life and given a cool suit so he can kick even more ass than he did in his first incarnation. Like RoboCop! There's also an evil obese clown, Melinda / Mindy Clarke from Return of the Living Dead III, and the kid from Kindergarten Cop who says "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina." Sounds like it can't miss, right?

But it does. And not just because of some seriously dated special effects, although of course those don't help. The tone of the movie felt "off" much of the time - never as serious as a Nolan Batman movie but never as fun as, say, the scene from Spider-Man 1 when Peter discovers his powers. The plot generally made sense, I guess, but it all led to a pretty weak climax. When it ended, all I could give it was my most generic film compliment: "At least it was only about 90 minutes!"

IMDB actually has a page for a reboot of this, but there's not much info. I hope it happens. The Hulk franchise was rebooted after only five years, so I think Spawn deserves another chance. If nothing else, the CG in the new one should be a lot better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:42 am 

You forgot to mention what's clearly the worst part of Spawn: John Leguizamo. If you want a movie to be as atrociously shitty as possible, a good start is to put John Leguizamo in it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:43 am 

Captain America 9 out of 10.

Damn......just damn. This movie worked and it worked well. For one, it wasn't a CGI fest, yeah it had some computer affects and stuff but damn.....we have old school car chases, explosions, up close and physical hand fights, this was a throw back to how action movies used to be. This also was a brilliant examination of someone from one generation being in a whole different one, Cap. A in the 21st century is played very well with him truly struggling to accept the changes he has endured. Also, the film brilliantly manages to connect the story back to the first Captain America film in a way that truly works and gives the story some global scale. Scarlett Johanson also proves she's not just a hot chick who kicks ass, she works as a character and really progresses the character. Winter Soilder was handled very well and is a believable threat to Cap. Falcon wasn't built that well, but he worked for what he was and honestly, future films could explore him more. And finally......stay for the after credit's scene, both of them, the mid one is one of the best since Avengers and the second one isn't just a throw away joke. In other words.....this movie was awesome.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 am 

Leguizamo's performance contributed to the weird tone problems I mentioned. The Dark Knight proved that you can make a serious, gritty comic book movie with a character who looks like a demented clown, but Mark A. Z. Dippe (who?) is no Christopher Nolan.

I still think the CG deserves to be singled out for its awfulness. You'd expect a movie from 1997 to look dated, but "Hell" looked like a level from a PlayStation game.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 pm 

I hope you mean Captain America 2. :p

I thought the first one from 2011 wasn't terrible but it still was pretty weak.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:37 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Anchorman 2 - I'm not the biggest fan of the first movie. I thought it had a few funny, quotable parts (mainly Sex Panther and the prank calls), and plenty of stretches that were just tedious or annoying. The sequel is amusing at times, but despite being quite a bit longer, it actually has fewer memorable moments than Anchorman 1. The worst bits are probably the ones that directly reference the original. There's basically a rehash of Sex Panther that isn't nearly as good, and a scene with way too many major star cameos.

Spoiler: show
I just watched this and I agree with you. The brawl scene was funny in the first one but it felt like they were just paying homage to that scene and felt tacked in and didn't really fit. And like you said all the cameos was silly. They seemed to feel the need to outdo the original brawl scene and it went overboard this time, and I didn't like the whole mind powers thing with Gary. I also disliked the scene at the end with the dog and the shark. They just tacked this on at the end to copy another one of the more iconic scenes from the first movie.

There were less memorable quotes this time around and many of the jokes and autistic humour just wasn't funny. I didn't like the scene at the dinner table personally either as all the racism there was kind of awkward and unnecessary. I did like how they made fun of the news in general and how real news is sacrificed for useless trash to get more ratings, and the way they poked fun at CNN, and Richard Branson. The way they had him connecting with his son was great too. I got a little confused when Brick was humming the Ghost Busters theme song since this movie is supposedly set in the 1970s, and the scene of Jean Claude Van Damme getting enraged when he gets blinded in Bloodsport was from the 80s but still pretty funny.

Overall I'd give it a 3/5, so good but not great. The first one was better.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 am 

I'm planning to go see Captain Murica tomorrow since a bunch of work colleagues are going for it. And since the post-movie reaction here is favorably towards 'yeh' as opposed to 'nah', so I'll give it a shot.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 am 

Aurone wrote:
Captain America 9 out of 10.

Damn......just damn. This movie worked and it worked well. For one, it wasn't a CGI fest, yeah it had some computer affects and stuff but damn.....we have old school car chases, explosions, up close and physical hand fights, this was a throw back to how action movies used to be. This also was a brilliant examination of someone from one generation being in a whole different one, Cap. A in the 21st century is played very well with him truly struggling to accept the changes he has endured. Also, the film brilliantly manages to connect the story back to the first Captain America film in a way that truly works and gives the story some global scale. Scarlett Johanson also proves she's not just a hot chick who kicks ass, she works as a character and really progresses the character. Winter Soilder was handled very well and is a believable threat to Cap. Falcon wasn't built that well, but he worked for what he was and honestly, future films could explore him more. And finally......stay for the after credit's scene, both of them, the mid one is one of the best since Avengers and the second one isn't just a throw away joke. In other words.....this movie was awesome.

Couldnt have said it better myself. The only "con, if you will, is to avoid the 3d, since there really wasnt anything noticable and it apparently made the fight scenes blurry.
The post credits- first one, huge reaction.
second one- worth it, and it didnt take long.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:21 pm 

The Lords of Salem: This movie was a piece of shit.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 pm 

Yeah for people who didn't like Rob Zombie before, The Lords of Salem isn't going to convert anybody. It's not a good sign when there's a horror movie I know I've seen, but the main parts that still stick with me are the humorous bits. For some reason, I was amused by the wacky radio sound effects at Mrs. Zombie's job.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:57 pm 

Yeah, so I watched Capt 'Murica: Winter Soldier and I quite enjoyed it. It's probably 100x better than the first movie. I loved the action sequences, the hand-to-hand combat scenes and the car chases. It's what these Marvel movies ought to be about - good no-frills action with a straightforward plot (all of them are predictable anyway) to hold the entire film together.

Regarding the post-credits scene:

I saw the 1st scene with Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch. But unfortunately, I had to rush before the 2nd scene and at that time, I thought what the heck, I'll see it on youtube anyway. Unfortunately, I can only find videos of people explaining the 2nd scene and not the actual footage. Does anyone know where I can find it?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:03 pm 

You guys are making a strong case for CA2:WS. I liked the first movie but it did feel ham-handed at times.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:11 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Yeah, so I watched Capt 'Murica: Winter Soldier and I quite enjoyed it. It's probably 100x better than the first movie. I loved the action sequences, the hand-to-hand combat scenes and the car chases. It's what these Marvel movies ought to be about - good no-frills action with a straightforward plot (all of them are predictable anyway) to hold the entire film together.

I saw the 1st scene with Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch. But unfortunately, I had to rush before the 2nd scene and at that time, I thought what the heck, I'll see it on youtube anyway. Unfortunately, I can only find videos of people explaining the 2nd scene and not the actual footage. Does anyone know where I can find it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJWR7FwQjE. Not worth waiting through the credits to be honest.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 pm 

I tried to watch the first Captain America but couldn't sit through even the first 20 minutes.

Recently saw Frozen and Brave. Both were good enough stuff, technically impressive of course, but not anything particularly wonderful. The music bits in Frozen felt really uninspired and dull for the most part. At least one thing that was great about these was their focus on willful/independent female characters, which is really nice to see, only why do they always have to be fucking princesses? If anything it kinda makes the story less interesting, but...eh, provides ample excuse for there to be castles and pretty things and dresses all the time.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:29 pm 

I recently saw Frozen and had similar feelings. A return to the musical style Disney is known for, but I don't think the songs stack up against Aladdin or The Lion King, etc. Maybe I just can't handle Disney princesses singing about their feelings for 90 minutes. Also the antagonist was weak and the whole plot twist seemed pretty forced and poorly written. Like you though, I appreciated some other key points of the story.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 am 

Fatal Games (1984)

Who remembers this craptacular Friday The 13th imposter? Hey, it wasn't half bad - lots of nudity and the main girl was really cute. The ending sort of reminded me of
Sleepaway Camp
...but wasn't as well executed (I know, really?) Oh well.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:06 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Yeah for people who didn't like Rob Zombie before, The Lords of Salem isn't going to convert anybody. It's not a good sign when there's a horror movie I know I've seen, but the main parts that still stick with me are the humorous bits. For some reason, I was amused by the wacky radio sound effects at Mrs. Zombie's job.

I liked House of 1000 Corpses and the Devil's rejects as well as his remake of Halloween 1. Some really good material there. His remake of Halloween 2 was horrible though. Hard to see how it was so much worse than the remake of the 1st one. Haven't heard of the Lords of Salem though. Sounds like I would be disappointed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 am 

House of 1000 Corpses was easy, it didn't take any real talent at all - it was fun though. Devils Rejects was a fluke I'm thinking, as it was actually really good. The Halloween remakes were absolute dog shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 am 

House of 1000 Corpses was easy, it didn't take any real talent at all - it was fun though. Devils Rejects was a fluke I'm thinking, as it was actually really good. The Halloween remakes were absolute dog shit.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:17 am 

The first Halloween remake was alright, and at least he took it in his own direction for the most part. The second was indeed total garbage though. The director's cut was even worse than the theatrical version, what with blatant close ups of Michael's uncovered face, every single character that wasn't Brad Dourif being totally unlikable and bitchy, and adult Michael talking.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 am 

shouvince wrote:

The second scene wasnt anything huge, to the point where you have to search all over for it.
It literally just shows the Capt america mannequins at the museum, pans down to a photo of Bucky, then turns and you see the winter soldier in regular street clothes and zooms to his face.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am 

Yeah, I can't really fault House of 1000 Corpses at all, decent movie. The Devil's Rejects was much more enjoyable than I was expecting. Agreed on Lords of Salem though - utter crap movie. Rob Zombie's wife just ain't that great in it at all, kind of grating actually, and it just dragged and dragged despite not even being very long.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:12 am 

Like with The Lords of Salem, if I had to say something positive about Zombie's Halloween II, the comedic parts were the highlight of the movie. The scene with Chris Hardwick and Weird Al had some amusing dialogue, at least.

Just about everything else sucked though: the pretentious imagery of Michael's mother dressed in all white, the debates over the ethical considerations of writing a book to capitalize on a tragedy (this is supposed to be a slasher movie, not Capote), the fact that Loomis was only present at the final showdown because he saw it on TV, the very end with Laurie

wearing the mask.

I appreciate Zombie's first Halloween movie, but the sequel is completely misguided. I think I need to watch his first two movies again. Especially Devil's Rejects, it's been years since I saw that one.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:56 am 

House of 1000 Corpses is indeed quality but a lot of that can be attributed to it being an almost direct rip of the best things from TCM 2.

I liked Devil's Rejects even though it wasn't a horror movie. What I though it did exceptionally well, especially as a sequel to "House...", was make you like and root for the family to escape the police. The notion that you end up genuinely liking and rooting for these sadistic murderers who tortured and killed innocent people to escape justice by the end of the film is pretty profound.

I haven't seen the Halloween remake since it came out but I remember it having potential. Iirc the parts of it that were original were cool (the beginning where he actually escapes the mental hospital and the stuff when he was a kid was ok) but the actual "remake" aspects of it were just as shitty as every other remake. One of the things I liked about the original is that there's no explanation. There's no personality. There's no logical reason this maniac is murdering people left and right. He just is. The unknown is a powerful thing and is far scarier than any sort of "monster" and I think trying to personify Michael and give an explanation of his motives only cheapens the impact the character has.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:03 am 

The Halloween remake wasn't as bad as Halloween II, but c'mon - it completely ruins the premise of the original. If it was really well written as a dramatic/self parodic sort of horror film, like TDR was, it would be one thing. But it explained too much and wasn't very well written at all - please, give us more white trash characters, and make us feel sorry for Michael Myers as a child, that's the fucking essence of terror.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:28 am 

I don't like how Rob Zombie turned Halloween into hillbilly trailer trash. This was particularly bad in the second movie, where every other word was profanity. Every character was pretty much just a foul mouthed, loser who looked like they hadn't groomed themselves in over a month. Rob Zombie has some weird obsession with these kinds of people.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:13 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
I don't like how Rob Zombie turned Halloween into hillbilly trailer trash. This was particularly bad in the second movie, where every other word was profanity. Every character was pretty much just a foul mouthed, loser who looked like they hadn't groomed themselves in over a month. Rob Zombie has some weird obsession with these kinds of people.

It's because they're his biggest fans.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
I don't like how Rob Zombie turned Halloween into hillbilly trailer trash. Rob Zombie has some weird obsession with these kinds of people.
I don't understand Rob Zombie's fetish for wearing petite sized ill-fitting 70's clothing.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm 

I was in the mood for something low budget, and I almost watched a 1990 movie called Nightwish purely because of the title. Instead, I went with Love Object, a psychological horror type thing about Quinn from Dexter buying a $10,000 sex doll off the Internet. Does he want the doll to be more like the young woman who works at his office? Or does he want the woman to be more like the doll?

I guess this was intended as an examination of the effect of sexually explicit material on men's attitudes toward women. But when I selected it from the horror menu, I was expecting "Child's Play, but with a taller, female killer doll!" Oops.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 pm 

I've yet to see Lords of Salem, but judging from here and other reviews I've read of it, Sherri Zombie is a major hindrance to the movie. It seems like a younger, newer actress should have been in that role, really; Jocelin Donahue from The House of the Devil in particular comes to mind.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 pm 

It wouldn't have made it better, trust me. The writing is something I could have come up with at the age of 12 after first listening to black metal.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:13 pm 

Which do I watch first: Primer or Upstream Color?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 am 

Doesn't really matter as they're unrelated. I would just go chronological.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:41 am 

What he said. Keep in mind that Primer is more hard sci-fi and Upstream Colour is much more hazy, dreamy, and with an insanely amazing soundtrack. I much prefer Upstream Colour, but Primer is solid.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm 

Got a $25 AMC gift card from my boss. Already saw Cap 2 last week so I'm not sure what to do....hopeful about Oculus and Haunted House 2 (loved the first one, like all Wayans' comedies) and still haven't seen Sabotage. Hmm...

Might just hold on until May when the new Seth MacFarlane movie drops.

Back to Captain America 2. It was pretty decent but I'm getting pretty tired of the rampant skyscraper property damage in super hero movies. It's like they have to destroy a new city every movie to justify the danger everyone is in. It's all overwhelming and boring after a while. Winter Soldier was cool.

I just keep watching these Cap films hoping they'll drop a cameo or easter egg of my favorite Marvel hero: US AGENT!

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 pm 

"The Raid 2". Just...just fucking see it. I might see the fucker again, partly to absorb the plot and the mixture of characters again, but mostly to bathe in the glory of ripped cheeks, slashed bodies, busted skulls, broken arms and exploding faces once more. This fucker is worth ANY admission price for the kitchen fight alone.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 pm 

Kiwion wrote:
Watched Snowpiercer yesterday. I'll tell you, I figured this was more or less your basic post-apocalyptic movie. Humanity has pretty much died out after a "solution" to global warming has frozen over earth. The only ones who survived were the ones aboard a train which basically has been going around the earth for the last 17 years. Everything is class orientated. Rich folks in the front. Poor people in the back.

See the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dd4pogcc4Y

Definitely worth your time

I just finished watching it. Definitely one of the more interesting movies I've seen as of late and not just a basic post-apocalypse flick. Everything has a bit of a dreamlike, symbolic quality and I don't think it's meant to be taken that seriously/literally. I was surprised by the pretty high production values. Also nice, distinct performances from the (surprisingly all-star-y) cast (Tilda Swinton! <3) and good pacing with a good number of effective twists and turns. High-quality stuff.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 am 

@Metal_Jaw - :o I haven't seen it yet but I'm so excited for it!

I watched 'Out of the Furnace' yesterday. It dragged on for sometime but my love for the individual characters helped me sustain my interest. I've never seen Woody Harrelson in a villainous role before, hard to believe at first but as the movie went on, I could see the evil in his eyes (well somewhat). Bale did well in his space too. The other characters were meh, especially Casey's because of him overacting. Perhaps, one reason why the movie isn't rated highly is because of its slow pacing and lack of a big climax.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
"The Raid 2". Just...just fucking see it. I might see the fucker again, partly to absorb the plot and the mixture of characters again, but mostly to bathe in the glory of ripped cheeks, slashed bodies, busted skulls, broken arms and exploding faces once more. This fucker is worth ANY admission price for the kitchen fight alone.

Of all movies, I wish this would get a wide release

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:29 pm 

Well I finally got around to watching Nightwish.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as Wishmaster.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 818  Next