Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:56 pm 

Well now, this trailer looks promising.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:42 pm 

Yeah definitely looks better than the miniseries, although that was kind of implied by it having a real budget, not being from 1990, and being among the 99% of things that aren't the miniseries. I'm looking forward to it. Have been ever since they announced it last summer or so.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah definitely looks better than the miniseries, although that was kind of implied by it having a real budget, not being from 1990, and being among the 99% of things that aren't the miniseries. I'm looking forward to it. Have been ever since they announced it last summer or so.

Man, this and the upcoming Dark Tower movie might be added to the formerly-microscopic list of "Stephen King adaptations that don't suck ass."

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:06 pm 

Yeah, the It trailer has me pretty stoked. The actors look a tad wooden, but they're kids and it's just a trailer, so I can let that slide for now. And Gnu's on the money about King adaptations seemingly breaking free of their curse :lol: We're yet to see how they actually fare, but I'm quite hopeful, myself.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:17 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Quote:
It's even more prevalent than you might think, ADR is everywhere in film, it's just usually really well done. I think I read 98% of the dialog in the LotR series was actually dubbed (well, ADR'd) but it was extremely well done, unlike many Leone or Argento movies.

Leone used to have actors read their lines in their own primary language and dub everything later. Since the cast was primarily Italian (and a few other nationalities besides), most non-Eastwood/Van Cleef/Wallach dialogue in those movies is dubbed-over Italian.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 pm 

I think added to that is the director; Andrés Muschietti, really really liked and has been inspired by Stranger Things. You can see the influence from the 80's setting to the way things are shot similar with wide, very landscape driven cinematography, the icing being 'Mike' from Stranger Things is in the cast. Here's hoping it doesn't feature those bad elements of modern horror that Blumhouse usually has.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:26 pm 

A History of Violence was a really good Cronenberg flick I seen recently. Brings up a whole bunch of issues with violence, love, and so many human emotions. Probably Viggos best role, Steve from Brickleberry has a huge boner for this movie so you should watch it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I think added to that is the director; Andrés Muschietti, really really liked and has been inspired by Stranger Things. You can see the influence from the 80's setting to the way things are shot similar with wide, very landscape driven cinematography, the icing being 'Mike' from Stranger Things is in the cast. Here's hoping it doesn't feature those bad elements of modern horror that Blumhouse usually has.

And thus the influence circle is complete! Really cool to see stuff like this happen, actually.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:33 pm 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
A History of Violence was a really good Cronenberg flick I seen recently. Brings up a whole bunch of issues with violence, love, and so many human emotions. Probably Viggos best role, Steve from Brickleberry has a huge boner for this movie so you should watch it.

It was a decent movie though I felt it to be pretty generic/typical in plot, characters, and such (especially compared to the majority of Cronenberg's other films). Still well done.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:22 pm 

Yeah, I'm probably the biggest Cronenberg fanboy here and I thought AHoV was insanely mediocre, probably one of Cronenberg's least interesting movies of his career. Eastern Promises was way better.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:52 pm 

I watched ''Life'' last week and ''Get Out'' earlier this week. Both movies were above average to good but the scripts were extremely predictable. I also realized that the trailers really give too much away from the movies. I was lucky that I only watched them after when I put my reviews online but it's a shame that those trailers iclude massive spoilers. Here are my detailed reviews.

Get Out: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/fighting-st ... a129358042
Life: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/life-2017-p ... a129310580

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Every nation remakes foreign language films. Turkey is notorious for having low-budget remakes of blockbusters (notably Star Wars, Superman, and Batman), Japan has a remake of Unforgiven that trades cowboy hats for samurai attire and one of Ghost, Korea regularly remakes Chinese/Japanese films, half of Bollywood may as well be musical remakes of American cinema, etc.

Movies get remade in foreign markets for many reasons, with the biggest being cultural differences. It's a one-way argument where Hollywood gets shat on for daring to Americanize Seven Samurai with cowboys in place of ronin but nobody bats an eye at a middle-aged Japanese man coming of age on a wine tour in Saidoweizu.

Hollywood gets a lot more crap for this than other countries, yes, but this is mostly because their versions get a lot wider release than the other countries' versions. It's a bit more complex than that, of course, because Hollywood (and American mainstream film in general) is, to an extent, seen as shared cultural heritage of the Western civilization. I can easily imagine people being more familiar with the cinema of Hollywood than with the cinema of their respective countries. So people feel much more at ease at leveling criticisms of such kind at Hollywood films than at films coming from other countries. And well, even though Hollywood has done some great remakes - the unnamed The Magnificent Seven comes to mind as an example, I've never heard anyone throw shit at it for being a remake, some reviews from way back aside - more often than not, the fact that the film has already been done once, seems to give the producers an out for not really putting a lot of effort into finding an atmosphere of its own for the film and an excuse for the director to phone it in. With remakes like Magnificent Seven or Insomnia or The Departed, you can see that no one was slacking at the set due to the films' remake statuses.

Regarding their subtitles and their distraction factor, I suppose it is the fact of having had to read them ever since I learned to read, it's easy enough to follow the visuals while also taking in the subtitles. They've never bothered me. There is of course the fact of how much of meaning is lost in the translation.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah, I'm probably the biggest Cronenberg fanboy here and I thought AHoV was insanely mediocre, probably one of Cronenberg's least interesting movies of his career. Eastern Promises was way better.

I wouldn't say it was mediocre, but it's more a movie directed by Cronenberg than a Cronenberg film. Cronenberg films have a certain focus on body horror and sex, making one uncomfortable in their own skin, but a movie directed by Cronenberg is a movie with a great director at the helm. He has his vision and AHOV doesn't fit it, but I wouldn't say it's mediocre because of it, just not what one would expect. Solid movie that's carried hard by Viggo Mortensen, not dissimilar from Road to Perdition in being comic book movies that don't feel like comic book movies.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Doors of Stone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:59 pm 

What I find interesting about the subtitle debate is that I differentiate between languages I understand and languages that I don't understand. I live Denmark where everything in a foreign language has subtitles, so I don't have much of a choice.
If the dialogue is in a language that I understand and the subtitles are also in a language I can understand, then I get confused and try to keep up with both. I usually end up focusing on the subtitles and sort of forgetting about the visuals. Then the subtitles take the focus away. I really have to remind myself not to look at the subtitles but to focus on the dialogue instead. However, if the dialogue is in a language I don't speak but the subtitles are, then I have no trouble reading them without losing focus on the visuals.
It depends on how well I speak the languages as well. German is my mother tongue while my English is a bit better than my Danish. In most films that I watch the combination is English: dialogue and Danish: subtitles, then I go through the process I just described and end up focusing on the dialogue. If the combination is German: dialogue and Danish: subtitles, I have no problem at all. I focus on the dialogue instantly.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I wouldn't say it was mediocre, but it's more a movie directed by Cronenberg than a Cronenberg film. Cronenberg films have a certain focus on body horror and sex, making one uncomfortable in their own skin, but a movie directed by Cronenberg is a movie with a great director at the helm. He has his vision and AHOV doesn't fit it, but I wouldn't say it's mediocre because of it, just not what one would expect. Solid movie that's carried hard by Viggo Mortensen, not dissimilar from Road to Perdition in being comic book movies that don't feel like comic book movies.

Spider wasn't written by him but it wasn't milquetoast or bland, and reminded me a lot of movies like Dead Ringers and Crash which were written by him. A History of Violence just felt phoned-in and workmanlike, with only the graphic sex scenes and impressive gore FX reminding you it isn't a made for TV movie.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 pm 

A History of Violence works in the body-horror aspect if you think of it as Viggo's character essentially being two people inhabiting one body.. it's about the struggle between the family man and the brutal gangster, and the impact it has on those around him (especially the sex-on-the-stairs bit). Sure, it's far more subtle than exploding heads or a stomach with a mouth in it, but it's still there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:25 pm 

There was something likable about History of Violence, though it wasn't a great movie by any stretch. Eastern Promises is better. And his 70s and 80s classics are even better than that.

I remember Cosmopolis being pretty bad though, I didn't even finish that one.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:56 pm 

Cronenberg has never and will never do anything better than Videodrome. It's one of the greatest movies of all time.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:25 pm 

"A History of Violence" is one of my favorite movies. Christ, if I am in a parking lot with people I can't help but say "Get in the car, Joey." When Viggo finally snaps "Yeah I should've killed you" fuck what a great movie moment. The stairway sex is a bit odd but everything else is psycho intense.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm 

Darkingday u can't say anything to change my mind bro. Eastern Promises is a fantastic film in it's own right but for some reason you're too much of a snob to appreciate raw human emotion. Just my two cents.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 pm 

That IT trailer and new poster blew my mind. It's my one of my favourite books of all time (depending on when you ask me, it could very well be #1) and they look like they're actually doing it properly. I was trying to not let myself get too hyped, and the promotional material they released a while ago wasn't getting me excited, but fuck if that trailer didn't make me giddy. Plus, they're splitting it into two movies, which is great. Stuff will get cut, for sure, but there's a lot in that book that's either not necessary (sewer orgy) or a bit much (Patrick Hocksetter with Henry Bowers).

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm 

It should be good to have at least one good IT movie finally.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:20 pm 

Yeah, they can definitely skip some of the most WTF moments of the book and still come out with a pretty solid adaptation. No one wants to see little kids having sex in a sewer, Stephen!

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
No one wants to see little kids having sex in a sewer, Stephen!

You know better than that. There's certainly an audience for it.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:33 pm 

Spider - telemovie nonsense with a frustrating protagonist who is as compelling as paint drying. It reeks of arthouse, unconventional for the sake of unconventional.

A History of Violence - It's good but a pretty barebones story which makes sense given it's from a rudimentary comic. It suffers from not enough action honestly, the couple ones that are in there are good and certainly shocking but the movie is 80% lead up. Ed Harris wasn't foreboding enough in all honesty, he should have been terrifying but came off as just a hindrance to Viggo. Also the ending was stupid - Coen Brothers did it better in No Country For Old Men. I personally found Eastern Promises a bit better, less Hollywood - far more a non-uniform entry, Cronenberg was restricted on AHOV by following the first part of the book. You can see his wings spread in rare instances throughout but the source material handicapped him.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:51 pm 

Cary Fukunaga apparently wanted to keep the orgy scene so probably for the best he left. It would have been highly distasteful. Most of King's novels feature some weird far too descriptive unnecessary kids peeing or using the toilet parts but IT was him writing without restraint and clear substance abuse.

The book is probably a lot of people's favourite because it was him writing without restraint but personally I find the book mean-spirited with needlessly shocking language and behavior. The movie adaptations seem to be opting out of the hyper homophobic nature of the novel so that's probably why I enjoy them more.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:12 pm 

Doors of Stone wrote:
What I find interesting about the subtitle debate is that I differentiate between languages I understand and languages that I don't understand. I live Denmark where everything in a foreign language has subtitles, so I don't have much of a choice.
If the dialogue is in a language that I understand and the subtitles are also in a language I can understand, then I get confused and try to keep up with both. I usually end up focusing on the subtitles and sort of forgetting about the visuals. Then the subtitles take the focus away. I really have to remind myself not to look at the subtitles but to focus on the dialogue instead. However, if the dialogue is in a language I don't speak but the subtitles are, then I have no trouble reading them without losing focus on the visuals.
It depends on how well I speak the languages as well. German is my mother tongue while my English is a bit better than my Danish. In most films that I watch the combination is English: dialogue and Danish: subtitles, then I go through the process I just described and end up focusing on the dialogue. If the combination is German: dialogue and Danish: subtitles, I have no problem at all. I focus on the dialogue instantly.

That's interesting to read. Actually I really hate watching movies with spoken English and English subtitles. I do the same thing - wind up reading the damn subtitles because I've been trained to do so - and miss what's on the screen. Not everything of course, but details.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:49 pm 

I feel y'all, but I feel that watching subbed anime has taught me the proper balance between reading and what's happening on screen. Then again, I should probably stop being a pussy and just learn Japanese.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:20 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Spider - telemovie nonsense with a frustrating protagonist who is as compelling as paint drying. It reeks of arthouse, unconventional for the sake of unconventional.

Yeah, nothin' more mundane than those arthouse telemovies, amirite?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:22 am 

Sorry I bagged your fav movie, DD. You'll live.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:22 am 

How the hell can something be "telemovie nonsense" and "reek of arthouse" at the same time :lol:

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:22 am 

failsafeman wrote:
How the hell can something be "telemovie nonsense" and "reek of arthouse" at the same time :lol:

It makes sense when you come from Australia.

kittensofdoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:45 am 

Telemovies can be cool. Lonesome Dove is a telemovie and just about the best western ever.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:10 pm 

Patriots Day - This is about the sometimes uneasy cooperation between local police and the FBI to catch the 2013 Boston Marathon bombers. It's the type of movie there's almost no way I could dislike, unless the filmmakers went out of their way to screw it up. My only minor complaint is that some characters who seemed like they should be important would disappear for long stretches of the movie, but other than that I thought it was well done. I confess to especially liking the part where

Spoiler: show
the older terrorist brother got run over by the car.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:24 pm 

I can't believe they had the gall to make an action movie about the fucking Boston Marathon bombing so soon after it happened. Just seems tasteless to me. Exploitative.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Quality of a telemovie; pretentiousness of an arthouse movie.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 pm 

Name a movie that actually combines those qualities.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:14 pm 

Begotten, maybe? Unless by telemovie you mean shit like the stuff they put out on A&E. Maybe I've got the wrong definition of that word.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:18 pm 

Throw as much shade as you want at Spider's story, you can't possibly say the performances (esp. Fiennes), cinematography and Howard Shore's haunting score are even remotely "telemovie." Good grief.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 pm 

again you lot reading way too much into a two word remark, the movie has many similar visual characteristics of a substandard telemovie. But yes, "telemovie nonsense" must be taken exactly literally because that autism is running in overdrive. Kind of figured you'd all rush off to defend Darkeningday, the same film snob who rates The Thing (2011) better than The Thing (1982), thinks Christian Bale is the worst actor and thinks "all Oliver Stone's films are awful". Yep, his view on Spider must be sound.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653 ... 818  Next