Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:51 am 

What the hell is wrong with y'all? Stalker is fantastic and will be admired long after the latest action flick out-actions Fury Road.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:32 am 

Stalker's a weird movie. It's not good, but over time people completely forgot the faults and only remembered the successes - effectively turning a fairly mediocre movie into a "classic".

Regardless, I doubt that Fury Road will be forgotten, considering how people still talk about Road Warrior thirty years later.

Last edited by The Red Snifit on Sun May 24, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:42 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Saw Poltergeist last night. Scariest moment was the price of my nachos and vitamin water.

My friend really wants to see it, since he loves the original, but I pretty much have none, as I hate remakes(with TCM and Hills Have Eyes being a few exceptions) and Im sick of haunted house movies.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:54 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
Regardless, I doubt that Fury Road will be forgotten, considering how people still talk about Road Warrior thirty years later.
Exactly. Sounds like a typical shit on the parade comment by any holier-than-thou who thinks action movies are all mindless, disposable, Neanderthal garbage-can banging churned out for profit and little else. No one could possibly like them for more than 'splosions.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:32 am 

The Road Warrior was kind of groundbreaking which is why it's still talked about. Fury Road might have more crazy stunts but it's going to be outdone in that aspect sooner or later.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:15 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Why watch The Babadook I say when you can watch this instead?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/what_we ... e_shadows/

For some reason it gets the same score (96%) as It Follows, but It Follows is not very good while What We Do In The Shadows is, so you really have to take these scores with a drain of malt.

thank you so much for reminding me of what we do in the shadows. Been meaning to watch for a while. I loved it. 10/10. Its on Amazon prime for those interested.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:41 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
Stalker's a weird movie. It's not good, but over time people completely forgot the faults and only remembered the successes - effectively turning a fairly mediocre movie into a "classic".

What the fuck are you talking about? I mean Stalker isn't for everyone, it's got a very slow pace and not a whole lot happens outside of the dialog, but it's still an amazing movie from one of the greatest directors of all time. Tarkovsky was even Ingmar Bergman's favorite director. The atmosphere, the cinematography, the story, the fascinating concept, I loved it all the first time I saw it as a teenager, and I love it now.

Stalker is possibly a unique franchise, in that the book, the movie, and the video game series are all really really good. I can't think of anything that hits all three like that - LOTR *maybe*, but of course there are tons of shitty games based on it too.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:07 am 

Stalker sounds like an interesting movie, not at all what I was expecting from the title, I think I'll look for it on Amazon. Is it subtitles or what?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Movies I watched today...

Metalhead

An Icelandic movie about a female metalhead. It gets a decent score on IMDB but man this movie was poo. The first 45 minutes dragged, it picked up briefly, then it got ridiculous. The near-ending was downright silly, with quasi-Mayhem members going to Iceland because they heard her demo tape. I had to pause the damn thing to facepalm myself. The ending where her family all of a sudden gets along and starts dancing to a crap Megadeth song was the final straw; of course it was right at the end of the movie so final straw or not the finality was there. Better to watch Hesher or something for a 'metalhead' movie.

Watched (rented) this on amazon last week. I enjoyed this, despite some turns that seemed strange at best. It's possible I was reading subtleties and subtextual things into it that weren't actually there, but overall I was glad I had rented it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:50 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Stalker sounds like an interesting movie, not at all what I was expecting from the title, I think I'll look for it on Amazon. Is it subtitles or what?

Yeah it's in Russian.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:44 pm 

For what it's worth, Stalker also happens to be Varg Vikernes's favorite movie. :p

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:48 pm 

Expedience wrote:
The Road Warrior was kind of groundbreaking which is why it's still talked about. Fury Road might have more crazy stunts but it's going to be outdone in that aspect sooner or later.

People still talk about Road Warrior because it's one of the greatest action movies of all time. I'm reminded of people who think that the only reason people play Doom is because of its historical importance.

failsafeman wrote:
The Red Snifit wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about? I mean Stalker isn't for everyone, it's got a very slow pace and not a whole lot happens outside of the dialog, but it's still an amazing movie from one of the greatest directors of all time. Tarkovsky was even Ingmar Bergman's favorite director. The atmosphere, the cinematography, the story, the fascinating concept, I loved it all the first time I saw it as a teenager, and I love it now.

Stalker is possibly a unique franchise, in that the book, the movie, and the video game series are all really really good. I can't think of anything that hits all three like that - LOTR *maybe*, but of course there are tons of shitty games based on it too.

It's a solid movie, but the reception when it came out wouldn't give you the impression that it would be regarded as a brilliant classic. Most of the acclaim it's gotten has been in retrospect. Take from that what you will.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 am 

A little late to join the Mad Max party but yeah, the movie ruled. I honestly felt the Road Warrior storyline was better than Fury Road's but who cares, the high octane action and the desert setting made up for everything. It was easily my most anticipated movie of the summer and it didn't disappoint. Watch it in IMAX and you won't be let down.

Btw, here's some trivia on Coma the Doof warrior (flame-throwing guitar dude).
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/05/c ... story.html

I watched 'Lazarus Effect' yesterday (because, Olivia Wilde). A group of medical researchers develop a serum that can bring animals back to life. Long story short, they try the serum out on a human (Olivia who dies) and she's gets possessed. It isn't that scary, a few jump-scares thrown into the mix. I wouldn't recommend watching this but if you have a lot of time to kill, you could.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:49 pm 

Yeah, I'm also a tad late, but Fury Road was bloody amazing. Amazingly shot, full of well done, relentless high-octane action, strong characterization..... No complaints, really.

In particular, I really liked how good of a job they did of introducing the world of Mad Max to newcomers in the first 20 minutes or so. I went to see the movie with a friend who never watched the original trilogy, and she herself told me that it was all quite easy to follow. Oh, and Immortan Joe is fucking awesome. I don't care that he barely does anything during the course of the movie; just his presence was enough. And his voice, of course. Goddamn, that voice.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:56 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
Saw Poltergeist last night. Scariest moment was the price of my nachos and vitamin water.

My friend really wants to see it, since he loves the original, but I pretty much have none, as I hate remakes(with TCM and Hills Have Eyes being a few exceptions) and Im sick of haunted house movies.

The 1982 Poltergeist would be embarrassed to wipe its ass with the 2015 version. For the sake of forum etiquette, I'll put a spoiler round my thoughts, but honestly I'd be doing you a favour by spoiling this piece of shit.

Spoiler: show
1) The "they're here" scene. The original was an iconic moment of the horror genre. Spirits bursting out from the TV, while the little girl says the line, kind of talking to herself in that perfectly innocent-yet-ominous way that only young children can. The new one is boring-ass crap! I get that a flat-screen can't hold as many spirits as a big ol' cathode ray tube, but goddamn it. You hardly notice the arrival, then the girl just blandly states "they're here".

2) The spirit medium. That woman Tangina was appropriately ethereal and weird. The dude they call in the new movie is some quack TV star ghost hunting huckster. He's kinda bad-ass, but still completely derails the mood of a haunting.

3) The misplaced remains rising from the ground and the closet-portal look like rejects from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wouldn't complain about effects in a 1982 film, but this is 2015. No bullshit, please.

I haven't seen a worse failure of a horror movie since the straight-up waste of 83 minutes that was The Devil Inside
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:42 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Yeah, I'm also a tad late, but Fury Road was bloody amazing. Amazingly shot, full of well done, relentless high-octane action, strong characterization..... No complaints, really.

In particular, I really liked how good of a job they did of introducing the world of Mad Max to newcomers in the first 20 minutes or so. I went to see the movie with a friend who never watched the original trilogy, and she herself told me that it was all quite easy to follow. Oh, and Immortan Joe is fucking awesome. I don't care that he barely does anything during the course of the movie; just his presence was enough. And his voice, of course. Goddamn, that voice.

As much as I really enjoyed the movie, my only problem is I still have no fucking idea who Max is. I haven't seen any of the other movies, and he barely talks at all in the film. I have the few lines of background at the beginning to go off of, but besides that I felt as if new viewers were not given much insight to his character.

I still loved the movie, but now I will have to go back and watch the others to get a better idea of the character.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:06 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

As much as I really enjoyed the movie, my only problem is I still have no fucking idea who Max is. I haven't seen any of the other movies, and he barely talks at all in the film. I have the few lines of background at the beginning to go off of, but besides that I felt as if new viewers were not given much insight to his character.

I still loved the movie, but now I will have to go back and watch the others to get a better idea of the character.

You aren't really going to learn much. Max is basically a living device that ties a bunch of disconnected wasteland adventure stories together. He's the common element. He doesn't really have much character outside of that; he's just kind of there.

All you really need to know is that he's an ex-cop who's wandering the wasteland in search of purpose after his family was killed, and he periodically stumbles across societies who's leaders order him around and have him fix whatever problems they have.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:19 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
People still talk about Road Warrior because it's one of the greatest action movies of all time. I'm reminded of people who think that the only reason people play Doom is because of its historical importance.

I've found that greatness and originality tend to go hand in hand. You won't find many masterpieces which don't do anything new, and that's not to say Fury Road doesn't.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:53 am 

Expedience wrote:
The Red Snifit wrote:

I've found that greatness and originality tend to go hand in hand. You won't find many masterpieces which don't do anything new, and that's not to say Fury Road doesn't.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what did Road Warrior do that was original? Remember, it was the second movie in the franchise, and despite the original being aesthetically similar it never took off.

Road Warrior was influential because it was - and still is - one of the greatest action movies of all time.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:54 am 

Well Tom Hardy has signed up for three Mad Max sequels, so chances are good that we can expect a Beyond Thunderdome quality film down the line, especially if they bring in a new director or any of the other wise moves Hollywood likes to do. I wonder if the sequels will also be filmed in Namibia, I thought that the landscape looked really good but what the hell do I know, I'm the guy at the supermarket staring at the raw meat thinking that the chicken breasts look like works of art.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:36 pm 

Why is everyone jizzing over Mad Max so much? Pretty much everything about the movie apart from the stunts and cinematography was mediocre as hell.

First of all the script and dialogue were just fucking terrible. Ok so basically the whole movie is to escape the prison that they were confined in for their entire lives, almost get killed in horrific ways multiple times, only to . . . go back to where they were in the first place? I don't even care if that made sense plot wise, it was still lame as hell. I also know there was this whole uproar about this being feminist propaganda or something, and Max being a side character in his own movie. I didn't really get that (I mean Max had basically the same amount of screen time as Charlize Theron), but even so the movie didn't really have any main character. If anything, Nux should have been the main character. He was the only character who had any sort of arc. Even so, that whole romance between him and the redhead sucked. It didn't go anywhere, so I really wonder why they even included it at all. His transition from crazed fanatical war boy to helping them happened way too quick though. I dunno, despite the fact that the movie was basically one long car chase, I still felt the relentless action kinda made the movie drag, and no matter how well the action may have been executed, for me a movie needs more than just cool stunts and explosions if I want to enjoy it, or even remember much of it a week later.

All that said, it was a cool movie, but really not much more.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:52 pm 

People complaining about the "feminist propaganda" thing in that movie are unmitigated weenies of a magnitude I never could have fathomed. I really can't think of a more worthless, whiny, crybaby argument than that one, and anyone who uses it is basically just telling you they cannot be taken seriously as an adult at all. Oh boo hoo, there were women in an action movie actually doing cool stuff, fuck off.

But I dunno, as to your actual complaints - seems an exaggeration to say anything about it actually sucked or was "fucking terrible" - it had everything put together in a way that made sense and, while it didn't have any particular depth or nuance to its characters, had the basic, raw, human emotions needed for the story. It was just fine by me. The fact that there was "no main character" didn't bother me either as they were all fun to watch, and the romances were pretty much just fine.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
Why is everyone jizzing over Mad Max so much? Pretty much everything about the movie apart from the stunts and cinematography was mediocre as hell.

First of all the script and dialogue were just fucking terrible. Ok so basically the whole movie is to escape the prison that they were confined in for their entire lives, almost get killed in horrific ways multiple times, only to . . . go back to where they were in the first place? I don't even care if that made sense plot wise, it was still lame as hell. I also know there was this whole uproar about this being feminist propaganda or something, and Max being a side character in his own movie. I didn't really get that (I mean Max had basically the same amount of screen time as Charlize Theron), but even so the movie didn't really have any main character. If anything, Nux should have been the main character. He was the only character who had any sort of arc. Even so, that whole romance between him and the redhead sucked. It didn't go anywhere, so I really wonder why they even included it at all. His transition from crazed fanatical war boy to helping them happened way too quick though. I dunno, despite the fact that the movie was basically one long car chase, I still felt the relentless action kinda made the movie drag, and no matter how well the action may have been executed, for me a movie needs more than just cool stunts and explosions if I want to enjoy it, or even remember much of it a week later.

These complaints could be applied to any of the Mad Max movies. I don't really know what you expected.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:27 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:

Your complaints sound like you're looking for a "traditional" movie wherein Mad Max: Fury Road had no intention of being.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
for me a movie needs more than just cool stunts and explosions if I want to enjoy it

I prescribe two weeks of Bolt Thrower to fix this issue. Do NOT skip a day or you will wind up liking Wintersun and thinking The Hunger Games are a modern day masterpiece.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:03 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:

Your complaints sound like you're looking for a "traditional" movie wherein Mad Max: Fury Road had no intention of being.

I mean I love testosterone fueled balls to the wall action movies as much as the next guy, but like I said, other than the stunts and cinematography this one really didn't have a whole lot else to set it apart from the rest. I guess you could argue that the stunts and cinematography are the whole point of movies like this to begin with, and it's not like I was expecting an Academy Award winning human centered drama, but I just wish the script had been a little better than it was. Different strokes, I guess.

@Batman, actually spinning Realm of Chaos now. :np:
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:14 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
I mean I love testosterone fueled balls to the wall action movies as much as the next guy,

This isn't what I meant. George Miller story-boarded the movie with something like 3500 panes. There was no script written. His intent was to direct a movie in which you didn't need dialogue to understand what was happening, hence the lack of script and story-boarding, and which is why there is little to no dialogue. Most of the intent and characterization happens through what people do, not what they say.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
But I dunno, as to your actual complaints - seems an exaggeration to say anything about it actually sucked or was "fucking terrible"
Yep. Yet another shit on the parade comment from someone I've never seen in this thread before.

@Rhaegar, you're welcome to dislike Fury Road, but you're condescending attitude, confusion and serious questioning of 'why do people like this?!" (when you seem to not grasp the fundamentals of a good action movie and assume every character needs an arc, or some profound deeper meaning with regards to a 'Mad Max film'), makes me think you don't know your arse from a hole in the ground.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:24 am 

Almost the entirety of Fury Road lives and dies by "show, don't tell". The movie has barely any dialogue because it doesn't need a whole lot of it to convey what it wants to, and pretty much every single scene that isn't packed with action tells you something about its world or the people that live in it. For instance, the part where we are introduced to the Citadel in full tells us that Immortan Joe is (ironically enough) near death, that his warboys are just as much of a cult as they are an army, and that his control over the populace is near absolute. All of that in just a couple of minutes, and with nary a word being thrown around. World-building at its finest.

But on a less pretentious note, the movie has, at the same time, barely any plot. It can be easily summed up as "Max begrudgingly teams up with unlikely allies to save a few women from an awful cunt". And you know what? That's perfectly fine.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 am 

Complaining about the lack or quality of the dialogue in Fury Road is like complaining that the plot of a porn movie makes no sense.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:48 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:

The muddy swamp that they went through was The Green Place. They go back to the Citadel, since there's water and plants, and it was unguarded, while trying to trap Joe in the canyon.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:22 am 

I've always wondered how some people would have preferred it.

Quote:
FURIOSA: Oh Max what is this place?
MAX: The radiation covered the Earth. It changed these people... and their swamp. I'd been here once before. They were... hostile. Barely escaped with my life and a can of Fosters. Me car saved the day, like a shrimp on the Barrie. I swore I'd never go back. Time makes fools of us all mate.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:28 am 

I'm trying to figure out what other Australian tropes you could throw into that, haha.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what other Australian tropes you could throw into that, haha.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:34 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:
I mean I love testosterone fueled balls to the wall action movies as much as the next guy,

This isn't what I meant. George Miller story-boarded the movie with something like 3500 panes. There was no script written. His intent was to direct a movie in which you didn't need dialogue to understand what was happening, hence the lack of script and story-boarding, and which is why there is little to no dialogue. Most of the intent and characterization happens through what people do, not what they say.

I didn't know that, but I did notice that was the effect the movie had. That's why it was so cool. People are weaned on way too much shitty exposition and backstory in movies these days. Fury Road didn't waste a fucking second, and I loved it for that.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:12 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't know that, but I did notice that was the effect the movie had. That's why it was so cool. People are weaned on way too much shitty exposition and backstory in movies these days. Fury Road didn't waste a fucking second, and I loved it for that.

Reading this made me think that it would be nice seeing a superhero movie in the vein of Fury Road, maybe an X-Men movie like that, of course with characters that actually resemble the goddamn X-Men so that's two things right there Hollywood would never do. One thought led to another though, and I realized that Patrick Stewart is actually a terrible actor.

Think about it: Jean-Luc Picard is French, but he doesn't sound French in ST:TNG. Added to this is the fact that Professor X is not a pom, he's American. In the X-Men movies that's a pom accent though and not an American one that Stewart has. So just like Keanu Reeves and Kevin Costner (Dracula and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves) who couldn't pull off a Brit accent, it seems Stewart can't pull off a French OR an American one. Has anyone seen anything with Stewart in it where he actually pulls off the accent of his character? Because from where I'm sitting (my couch in my living room in case you really care), this dude looks like a one-accent pony. I demand to hear Stewart speaking Australian or I'm boycotting him for a total of two weeks (give or take an hour or two because sometimes I oversleep).

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:06 pm 

Xlxlx, the world building actually was really well done. I guess I forgot to mention that part in my original post, so my bad on that one. And while I definitely don't think the movie needed any unnecessary exposition and appreciated the whole "show don't tell" thing the movie was going for, I just don't think that what little dialogue there was was that well done, and I still stand by that them just going back to the citadel at the end was anticlimactic, even if it made sense from a plot standpoint why they had to do that. Like I said before, I appreciated the positive things that the movie did well (and there was a lot of that), but I still think the script could have been better. It was by no means a bad movie, but I just didn't think it was the greatest thing I ever saw on the big screen like so many other people seem to have made it out to be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 pm 

Well, one reason people are so excited about it is because there aren't really any other action movies this good out right now. Even ones like Kingsmen and Pacific Rim have very different feels to them and don't provide the kind of unabashed, chaotic carnage we wanted. The Marvel movies, even when they're good, are rather sterile feeling and formulaic, and rely too much on backstories, connecting to other movies, etc - it's just not the same. Not to speak of other ones like the Taken series, The Expendables, The Last Stand, World War Z, The Equalizer and other invincible-badass revenge flicks...there are just so few good action flicks out, and Fury Road was a huge breath of fresh air. I could also mention the remakes of movies like Total Recall, but I haven't seen them, so I'll let someone else talk about those.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:11 pm 

Fair enough. And with all the success that R rated action movies like this and John Wick have had lately, I'm certainly optimistic that we'll be seeing a new trend of movies in this same vein. Maybe even the Mad Max sequels they already have planned will tighten up the screenplay too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 pm 

Hopefully more Fury Road and less John Wick.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539 ... 818  Next