Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 pm 

After re-watching Paranormal Activity at home last year I have a new appreciation for it, but eh, no real desire to see the later sequels...last one I saw was the second one after it came out.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:21 pm 

The most jarring thing about Paranormal Activity is how quickly and suddenly it turned to abject shit. First one, great. Second one, great. Third one, my favorite in the series. Fourth one, huge pile of shit. Marked Ones, slightly smaller pile of shit. Number five? We'll see. But probably going to be shit.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:55 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Annabelle (October)

Oh that's right, I almost forgot they were doing a Conjuring spin-off. I wonder who's starring in that?

[looks it up]

So they cast an actress named Annabelle (Wallis) to star in Annabelle? Come on, they did that on purpose! :tinfoil:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:06 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Being a horror / anything supernatural junkie....and since the quality of those films have significantly gone up since James Wan & the Blumhouse Co. have been bringing the heat the last few years....I'm stoked for a few:

-Annabelle (October)
-Housebound (October)
-Ouija (October)
-The Pyramid (As Above, So Below kinda stole it's thunder though) (December)
-Demonic (December)
-Insidious 3 (May)
-Poltergeist (July)
-Sinister 2
-The Conjuring 2
-Paranormal Activity V

Can't wait!

Every single one of these movies will be a 0/10. You couldn't pay me to go see any of those. So here Exigence proves that not only can he not music, he can't movie.
Also "the quality of these movies went up since James Wan?" are you fucking kidding me? Like Empyreal said, Wan is a god damn hack. All his movies are the same weaksauce bullshit.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 pm 

Yup, same one-dimensional characters, same jump scares, same big fancy houses where everything is as neat and tidy and can be, same boring-looking, magazine-cover-esque heroes and heroines...there's just nothing interesting or thought provoking about the guy's movies. They're empty and bland. There's really no humanity or drama in them at all, just haunted house-style scares dressed up with lots of exposition that's supposed to try and make the audience invested...but really just makes them fall asleep. Explaining things isn't scary.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:56 pm 

I thought Death Sentence had a cool retro Death Wish exploitation flavor goin' for it, as well as a surprisingly gritty performance by John Goodman. Soundtrack was pretty boss too. Not a great movie by any stretch, but it set simple goals for itself and reached them all. I'd watch it ANY DAY over your average Jack Hill joint.

Other than that, though. Yeah, James Wan sucks.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yup, same one-dimensional characters, same jump scares, same big fancy houses where everything is as neat and tidy and can be, same boring-looking, magazine-cover-esque heroes and heroines...there's just nothing interesting or thought provoking about the guy's movies. They're empty and bland. There's really no humanity or drama in them at all, just haunted house-style scares dressed up with lots of exposition that's supposed to try and make the audience invested...but really just makes them fall asleep. Explaining things isn't scary.

That's every haunted house movie. I can't help that, you have to be introduced to bland characters. You can't make an interesting haunted house movie if you like the characters. You're watching the movie for the haunted house.

I just like how James Wan shoots empty rooms and long hallways. If you've ever grown up in a haunted house, then you understand exactly where he is coming from. He's not perfect but I appreciate his angle. I was in the theater for 'Dead Silence' in 2007. I knew by the way he dropped out the sound when things would happen that this dude was special.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:37 pm 

Interesting characters are necessary for most movies, including haunted house ones. I'm really not sure how you came to the conclusion that interesting characters aren't needed for haunted house movies...even so, the films still aren't good based on the houses, as they all have the exact same look and style to them - it gets ridiculously old after two of his films, let alone five or six different franchises like we have going now.

Dropping out the sound before a jump scare is one of the cheapest, laziest tricks in a horror movie ever, by the way. Total sloth.

Speaking of Wan I just did a review for Dead Silence.

Last edited by Empyreal on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm 

James Wan is revolutionary. That time the sound dropped out and a cat jumped at the screen, I knew I was in for something special. For a much needed horror revolution. Except no, and nobody cares that you believe in ghosts, Exigence.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:43 pm 

Can't be bothered quoting every thing here.

Exigence, I agree with Empyreal, all those films look bad but The Pyramid might have potential because it's got the writer who worked with Alexandre Aja on his best films, that being said he's a first time director so it could either way. Not sure what to make of your supposed good points about Wan's directing.

Darkeninday, Death Sentence should be forgotten to the dustbin of history, perhaps one of the dumbest revenge flicks ever made and lets not even mention Death Wish in the same sentence. While everything is executed poorly by Wan with an abundance of crap teen-angst editing, from lack of reasoning and questioning, one dimensional characters, the gas station scene is shot well and is all the movie is worth.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:22 pm 

I dunno. I watched it on a road trip when I was really bored and really high. That may have had something to do with it.

I also quite like The Baconator and the rather indefinable 'atmosphere' the film constantly emanated. Obvz, ymmv. But I'd watch it again ANY DAY over trash like Dredd.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:55 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
But I'd watch it again ANY DAY over trash like Dredd.

:lol: Rule of thumb for those unacquainted, anything Darkeningday doesn't like is usually awesome.

BEANED_HUMAN
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:26 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
trash like Dredd.

no truer words have ever been uttered

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:46 pm 

Insidious 2 didn't really need to be made and I think The Conjuring is overrated, but I will go into James Wan defense mode for a moment and say I like Insidious 1 and the first Saw movie.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:29 am 

BEANED_HUMAN wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
trash like Dredd.

no truer words have ever been uttered
:lol: 3 post mallcore kid.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:46 am 

Despite the fact his username implies he's been here for way longer than you ;) .

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:09 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Insidious 2 didn't really need to be made and I think The Conjuring is overrated, but I will go into James Wan defense mode for a moment and say I like Insidious 1 and the first Saw movie.

I wouldn't call him a bad director either, he's like those 5-books-a-year thriller writers: he knows how to execute a formula and use the tricks for building tension.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:44 pm 

Dredd was my favorite movie of 2012, but Judge Dredd is also my favorite comic book character. It could have been more colorful with the futuristic, cynical humor but I'll take it.

I worked for one of the producers of the Pyramid, I have a script for it in my email back when it was called "Site 146". Funny that it got made.

Please, everyone, feel free to suggest better haunted house movies in that last 10 years. I'll wait.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:12 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
I wouldn't call him a bad director either, he's like those 5-books-a-year thriller writers: he knows how to execute a formula and use the tricks for building tension.

I also think Saw and Insidious are different enough that the "all his films are the same shit" complaint doesn't accurately describe his career as a whole. With Insidious 2 and The Conjuring released in the same year, though, he probably brought some of that criticism on himself. Maybe that's why he's branching out with Fast & Furious 7, but I'm not really into that franchise.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:32 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Please, everyone, feel free to suggest better haunted house movies in that last 10 years. I'll wait.

There haven't really been many good ones at all. Oculus sort of was a haunted house thing, so there's that. House of the Devil was set IN a house. The Others had a few things in common with that trope. But yeah, just because Wan's movies are examples of that genre, doesn't make them good.

Eh, guess I've never been a huge fan of haunted house films anyway. They don't really scare me on the whole. Probably a few real old ones I ought to see sometime though, like The Haunting and such.

Saw and the first Insidious weren't dog shit like the rest of his movies, no, but those are exceptions to the rule.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:47 pm 

I'm thinking of a horror film that came out within the last four or five years. Ambient/noise/electronic soundtrack, widely regarded as excellent and creepy (and way better than the movie itself). Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:52 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I'm thinking of a horror film that came out within the last four or five years. Ambient/noise/electronic soundtrack, widely regarded as excellent and creepy (and way better than the movie itself). Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?

Sinister? It featured Ulver, a Sunn O))) and boris collab, and a Boards of Canada track in the credits.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:44 pm 

Having a hard time to find the incentive to watch films or think about them enough to actually do any sort of mock-up of a write-up even. And it's been a very long time since I've found anything really inspiring - from older or newer movies. Anyway, here goes:

The Ambassador: A documentary by a Danish film maker about his proper attempt at impersonating a Liberian ambassador to illustrate how colonialism is still very present in Africa today. Not only as the after effects and massive shock of the abuse (to put it mildly) that the continent suffered under the colonial power of European countries or as the playing grounds for multinational companies, but as people of European countries with their governments' silent blessing, taking advantage of the countries' mineral riches. The film itself is an absurd trod through the film maker's and his secretary's attempts at securing proper accreditation from Monrovia to acts as Liberian ambassadors to Central African Republic so they can take part in a diamond mine without actually being liable for any crimes or costs accrued to them due to diplomatic immunity. It's all rather hectic and chaotic as well as nauseating, but worth a watch. While the filmmaker - as the opportunist he plays - spreads a LOT of cash around, it seems not a lot was spent on post-production as the cutting, editing and writing really needed some work.

Cromwell: An old flick about Oliver Cromwell with Richard Harris playing him and Alec Guinness as Charles I. An alright romp that gets some of the historical stuff right, but the way it portrays Cromwell as a democratic man seeking to have the parliament represent the people (the free MEN) is rather... Preachy. How all the violence he degrades to is only under duress as induced upon him by the king and his catholic allies as well as his own, good-for-nothing allies, that are only vying for their own power. But not Cromwell, oh no. He only wants to live in peace at his farm. He has no ambition except for a free country represented by a democratically elected parliament. It is a tad overpowering.

Toy Story 3: All about growing up, discarding your childhood and what not. Pretty predictable, but an alright romp, I guess.

The Woman in Black: That's the 2012... Well, I probably shouldn't call it a re-make though a lot of it reminds me of the old TV film from the 80s, but I guess a lot of the material was dictated in the book, which I should probably read. The old TV film is superbly atmospheric and scary without resorting to jumpscares. Unfortunately this one is mostly about that. There are some creepy moments, but it's all rather too modern horror.

Extreme Prejudice: An action thriller from the 80s with all the vices from the time. No-nonsense violent and misogynistic sheriff as a lead who we are supposed to identify with, I suppose? A similarly feeling antagonist, who is just a bit more unscrupulous regarding his view on the law - He smuggles drugs over the border for a living. Old pals and a woman they're fighting over who is mostly an extra on the side and is a tour prize rather than a proper person. There's a side story of an elite group of military personnel after the druglord and they have their own grudges to deal with, but it is rather superfluous and feels like an afterthought, especially considering how it is all wrapped up in the end in what amounts to two lines and half a minute of screentime. The action is pretty slick with that 80s feel, though it's funny how many hits a person can take into the sides of his body and apparently still fight. The 80s electrosynth music is a very nice touch though and it has its own "Fuck you, this is how things are" appeal to it, if you can disregard the absolute adoration of violence, chauvinism and misogyny. Which I guess is rather difficult.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:50 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Sinister? It featured Ulver, a Sunn O))) and boris collab, and a Boards of Canada track in the credits.

Sinister was decent except for the ending's reveal. Never noticed the music. That would be the last thing I'd even be thinking about ina haunted house/demon scenario. OOOOHH!! AMBIENT!!!!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:07 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Toy Story 3: All about growing up, discarding your childhood and what not. Pretty predictable, but an alright romp, I guess.

Disliked this one a helluva lot. Replaced all the subtle wit and charm of the first (and to a lesser degree, the second) film, and replaced it with disingenuous sap, lame word plays and a re-hash of The Great Escape that was so exact, so on the nose, Steve McQueen's estate should've sued for copyright infringement.

Also, why did they feel the need to repeat the EXACT SAME plot twist as the second film (Stinky Pete = Lotso the Bear)?? C'mon Pixar. You're better than this. At least you were, until you lost Brad Bird.

Doesn't give me much hope for Star Wars VII, which will also be written by the consistently shitty Michael Arndt.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm 

You know what was actually a disappointing Disney film? Monsters University.
Honestly felt like I was watching a direct-to Disney Chanel throwaway plot, of all the directions they could have taken, 'how'd they grow into monsters?!' was probably the least interesting route possible. The new director 'Dan Scanlon' really screwed up.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:53 pm 

Maleficent was enjoyable but disappointing. I really enjoy the original Sleeping Beauty, and this definitely fell short.
Spoiler: show
For starters, both action scenes were fairly direct imitations of Terabithia which was a rip-off of Lion.... Also, they really didn't belong in the film from a logical standpoint. Most of the characters are weak and pointless. Stephen's character had potential, but his turn is really left unstated and seems random. It also seemed a little short, and they definitely could have taken time to flesh out Stephen's rationale. Maleficent's occasional grins and pranks really bring down the established mood after the curse scene. Lastly, she seems to forget she has powers; in the original she got to the castle at the end in five seconds but here she needed a horse.

Having said that, there were a few great spots. Jolie did a fantastic job; I'd actually consider it the best I've seen her in. When Stephen mutilates her, it was surprising that Disney went there, and it did have some power. For about fifteen minutes after that, the film is fantastic, including the curse scene which rivals that of the original.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:22 am 

I actually thought that Monsters University was one of the better pixar movies. I still haven't seen Toy Story 3, but I thought that Monsters University was the best pixar film since the Incredibles. Maybe I found it a lot funnier because I'm in college, but it is way better than most movies where Disney portrays of college/high school.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:41 am 

The humour would be Monsters University's only saving grave but that fell flat 90% of the time. All the sight gags were really poor and groan worthy. I'd say it's certainly not the worst Disney film but it's in no league with Monsters Inc.

Wall-E is the best pixar film since The Incredibles.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:33 pm 

Saw Kevin Smith's Tusk earlier. What a bizarre and and fairly enjoyable little movie. Silly, disturbing and kinda gross. I liked it.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 pm 

Has anyone bought the Halloween boxset from Scream Factory yet? I'm not the biggest Halloween fan but I found it for a great price and couldn't help myself.

untappd: patrick_g

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:35 pm 

How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?

I almost did the same thing with that new Saw collection they made (bought the set even though I don't like the series that much). But then I remember Saw 1 is the only one I really enjoyed, and I never even bothered to watch 5, 6, or 7.

Would You Rather - This happens sometimes. Two movies with a similar premise, but I end up seeing the later movie first, then go back and watch the earlier one. In this case, Would You Rather is from 2012 and Cheap Thrills is from 2013; both follow the general setup of "eccentric rich people convince non-rich people to play a game in hopes of winning money, and during the game the players are likely to get seriously injured, or worse." I thought Cheap Thrills worked better because it used fewer characters, and the game was more voluntary. (In Would You Rather, the people are kept in the house at gunpoint.)

I don't know, maybe if I'd seen these in chronological order I'd be saying Would You Rather is better, but having seen Cheap Thrills first the best thing I can say for WYR is I liked Jeffrey Combs' performance. Oh, and the ending was pretty bold.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:35 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

Beyond the Black Rainbow? It’s notable for being intensely slow paced, feels more like a bad acid trip than a movie at times.

As far as recent haunted house movies go, I think the best one I’ve seen in the past few years was Lake Mungo. It’s got some flaws but it works because of human elements, it’s more about this family and ideas of grief and mortality rather than just a bunch of cheap scares.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:57 pm 

EARTHCUBED:

It's Sinister.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?

I almost did the same thing with that new Saw collection they made (bought the set even though I don't like the series that much). But then I remember Saw 1 is the only one I really enjoyed, and I never even bothered to watch 5, 6, or 7.

I don't know, maybe if I'd seen these in chronological order I'd be saying Would You Rather is better, but having seen Cheap Thrills first the best thing I can say for WYR is I liked Jeffrey Combs' performance. Oh, and the ending was pretty bold.

Turner Classic Movies fucked up big time and priced it at $19.99 and now they're playing it off like it was a sale. They priced some new horror movie with Halloween in the title at $129.99 and last I checked they haven't fixed it yet.

untappd: patrick_g

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:08 pm 

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie (2014) - 1/5

Unlike most on MA I'm actually a fan of most of AVGN's content but no amount of fondness can disguise what's clearly apparent; this is bad film. The two main ingredients that let this film down is the comedy by and large isn't funny and the editing is almost not existent. It was a plain chore to sit through and I became distracted easily, often taking breaks and reading reviews to understand how it generated such positively during it's short cinema run.
If James Rolfe scrapped the new characters and went with his usual band maybe it would have the wit and kick it needed, maybe if it was more low key and not so grandiose for the sake of 'movie', maybe if he passed around the script and got honest feedback and found what comedy worked maybe these new characters would have saved the movie. The film isn't completely without a chuckle though, the crazy boss the nerd has to work with and the really wacky stuff in general is genuinely good, but then there's long sections of plodding dialogue and plodding plot progression which will bore you to tears. AVGN the movie could have been somewhat salvageable had it been 60 minutes and not an excruciating 115 minutes.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:17 pm 

Yeah I knew that was going to be horrible the minute I saw the first teaser trailer. I really hate the childish humor he uses so flagrantly in many of the episodes too. Oh, and Mike Matei is the biggest shitweasel I have ever come across on Youtube, fucker banned me from the AVGN page for saying one of the recent videos wasn't quite up to par. He is like that annoying friend everybody has that tries to one-up you in everything but you wish would just go away.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:23 pm 

I wish he'd just go back to making fucking AVGN episodes and without stupid skits.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Yeah I knew that was going to be horrible the minute I saw the first teaser trailer. I really hate the childish humor he uses so flagrantly in many of the episodes too. Oh, and Mike Matei is the biggest shitweasel I have ever come across on Youtube, fucker banned me from the AVGN page for saying one of the recent videos wasn't quite up to par. He is like that annoying friend everybody has that tries to one-up you in everything but you wish would just go away.
I could do without his abundance of swearing but I do enjoy him picking apart the minutest of details of a shitty NES game. That's probably why I prefer the later episodes, they feel more like a humorous review about it's faults and badly constructed gameplay than simply childish hissy fits with gross-out humour.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 pm 

No I see what you are saying, but i don't really group that under the 'childish' part. Anyway, that whole nitpicky thing is what kind of made the character, and yeah that is a huge part of the appeal. The later episodes just seemed phoned in honestly, I think one of the recent ones he did was quite decent, but everything past...oh what was it...Action 52 just hasn't cut it for me.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 818  Next