Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:07 pm 

Milas Kunis is hot, as in super hawt. I always hated her on that 70's show though.

Also, the entire Matrix trilogy is severely undeserving of the attention it got, including the first film. Bunch of people dispassionately arguing about choice (because sophisticated) while chop sueying their way through a 6-hour version of the "Freak on a Leash" music video.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:18 pm 

She never did much for me. I like "exotic/ethnic" looks but rarely in the Slavic sense. Also, her voice is fucking gross. Tera Reid's voice on the other hand... :love:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:34 pm 

volute reminds me of that time I watched Army of Darkness and complained that it was too silly.

Sometimes people just say dumb things that completely miss the point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 pm 

Subrick wrote:
There's always that one scene in Black Swan you can go back to for reference.

That back tattoo, though.

Kingsman: The Secret Service looks awesome, though, to bring up a movie that doesn't look all poopy.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:16 pm 

It looks bad.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
It looks bad.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:20 pm 

Yeah it looks pretty shitty. Not as shitty as Mortdecai, but that isn't really saying much.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:44 am 

BastardHead wrote:
volute reminds me of that time I watched Army of Darkness and complained that it was too silly.

Sometimes people just say dumb things that completely miss the point.

Yeah but I really like Army of Darkness though. That's the kind of silly Big Trouble should have been.

I don't think it's a bad film I just think it's overrated, especially compared to Carpenter's other films. They Live in my opinion is better, it get's the dumb fun cinema perfectly, that long ass fight scene in the alleyway that South Park parodied, Rowdy Roddy Piper is quoteable from start to finish: "You, you're okay. This one: real fuckin' ugly!" I could go on but you get the picture.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:50 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Army of Darkness

Man, I haven't seen this movie in years.

"This...is my BOOM STICK!!"

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that!?

:lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:20 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Man, I haven't seen this movie in years.
They're making a tv series called Ash vs Evil Dead so it might be worth rewatching. That, and any excuse is a good excuse for Army of Darkness.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:18 am 

They're also making Army of Darkness 2. Then they're making a sequel to the remake, and then Sam Raimi's doing a crossover between the original and remake Evil Dead universes. Considering the remake was actually pretty good, that I'm looking forward to.

Army of Darkness 2 on the other hand I'm crazy skeptical about. The first one was practically perfect, and even though Sam and Bruce still have it 25 years later, it's gonna be basically impossible to replicate what made the original so great.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:01 am 

Let's hope the quality is consistent, last thing anyone needs is the Evil Dead name being tarnished by half-assed cash grabs.

Universe crossovers can be fun though. I recently discovered that Travis Van Winkle's annoying jock douchebag character from Transformers is the exact same character in the Friday the 13th remake.

TheAgeOfTheAtheist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:02 am 

The new Evil Dead movie turned out just fine, but I don't think it's a good idea to come up with an Army of Darkness sequel in 2015. Army of Darkness 2 would have worked in the mid-nineties. Look at Re-Animator and how the sequel from the new millennium turned out. Seriously, if anything, make a reboot.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:56 pm 

I thought the Evil Dead remake was atrocious. It had the same level of acting as the original with some of the worst Kevin Smith-wannabe dialogue imaginable (Diablo Cody is a horrible writer) and the characters were somehow even dumber than the original. The special effects were okay, especially given the use of practical over CG, but the result is one of the most intelligence insulting pieces of shit I've ever had the displeasure of watching in a movie theater.

Spoiler: show
Look, we found this book in a room full of hanging dead animals that have been here for a while and are pretty much mummified. The book is wrapped in a trash bag and covered in barbed wire. Let's cut the barbed wire off and unwrap the trash bag and oh, look, every page is blackened out with the words "DO NOT READ" scribbled into the margins of every single fucking page. You know what we should do? Let's read it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:56 pm 

Yes, Diablo Cody is a terrible writer. What the fuck does that have to do with the Evil Dead remake? :scratch:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:03 pm 

Saw Grand Budapest Hotel. It was gud.

Basically died laughing during Adrien Brody's introduction and Willem Dafoe's demise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Yes, Diablo Cody is a terrible writer. What the fuck does that have to do with the Evil Dead remake? :scratch:

Apparently she did an uncredited script revision for it, but it's unclear how much she actually contributed.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:32 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
chaossphere wrote:

Apparently she did an uncredited script revision for it, but it's unclear how much she actually contributed.

Probably bugger all. The stupidity is realistic anyway, people in general are idiots and will let curiosity get the better of them, especially teenagers. I really don't get why people get upset over such quibbles, if everyone in a horror movie just said "okay this is weird let's go home while we still can" there would be no movie...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:38 pm 

I think the problem is more with a lack of originality - of course the characters are going to put themselves into danger somehow, and their escape attempts will fail (until the very end), but the ways in which they take risks and fail have to be interesting and at least somewhat believable or the viewers will be bored and/or not relate to them. The key in (serious) horror movies is the viewer has to be rooting for them - like Ripley in Alien. If it's just a silly Friday the 13th sequel where the only draw is seeing Jason kill people in ridiculous ways, then of course it doesn't matter.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:45 pm 

The Matrix movies have not aged very well at all haha.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:29 pm 

The Evil Dead remake was okay but it really dropped the ball at the end. And the bloody moments felt forced for the sake of fan service.

I'm not sure if making it an intense drama was the greatest idea, it certainly added some realism but I often wondered 'why' a majority of the time, why'd they pick that spot, why aren't they more watchful, why not have a structured plan, etc.

The new Evil Dead series/AoD 2 with Bruce Campbell should be several times better. As long as they keep the wacky humour and don't force it like Dumber and Dumber To did, the age is a matter to be addressed but if the story is engrossing enough it shouldn't be a problem.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:57 pm 

Bruce Campbell isn't exactly getting any younger... maybe he'll put his back out and end up fighting the Deadites from an armed & armoured wheelchair :P

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Bruce Campbell isn't exactly getting any younger... maybe he'll put his back out and end up fighting the Deadites from an armed & armoured wheelchair :P

That would actually be acceptable in the Army of Darkness realm of comedy. Maybe it's a semi-parody of The Dark Knight Rises and he gets injected with a new speed-like drug back to his springy self, and in a montage rearranges his wheelchair into an elaborate killing tool attachment for his non-hand. War paint, dune buggy and holsters for several boomsticks, Deadites don't stand a chance.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:14 am 

John Wick was alright. I enjoyed it somewhat more than The Raid, a lot more than than Dredd and a whole helluva lot more than The Raid 2. I can definitely see how someone might not like it, though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:00 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
The Evil Dead remake was okay but it really dropped the ball at the end. And the bloody moments felt forced for the sake of fan service.

What exactly about the ending was bad? I thought it was a fine ending, helped immensely by
Jane Levy gloriously chainsaw facefucking the Deadite, all while spouting a goofy one liner you'd expect in an Evil Dead movie.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:59 am 

Subrick wrote:
What exactly about the ending was bad? I thought it was a fine ending, helped immensely by
Jane Levy gloriously chainsaw facefucking the Deadite, all while spouting a goofy one liner you'd expect in an Evil Dead movie.
To further explain it wasn't exactly the ending but more so bits and pieces throughout that didn't sit well, the ending itself felt rushed and the gore humour and one liner took me out of the movie which up until that point had me invested, sure there's the vomit scenes but they didn't snap out my concentration entirely. The characters were too disposable and as a result most of the movie was too predictable and not scary, there's a noticeable inconsistency to realism with characters being hurt badly but still beating along unhindered, too Hollywood-ised in terms of characters finally catching on.. As I said before it's a passable horror movie (better than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake) that is serious in tone but it seems weighted due to the source material, the gore humour could have been removed because it feels shoehorned, it's hardly significant or very memorable, either do it or don't. This review explains the rest of thoughts more in depth: http://www.horror-movies.ca/evil-dead-2013-1981/

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:32 am 

That chainsaw to the face is pretty much my favourite thing I've seen in a movie in 5 years, loved that movie. Note that I didn't like the original because of the embarassing cackling through the whole thing, so my opinion sucks.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:14 am 

The remake probably should have just been 100% serious. The original is one of the funniest horror-comedies ever made, but it's a subliminally sick type of humour. The cackling is a big part of that, especially if you watch it in an altered state.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:49 am 

I guess I watched it sober, and needed 2 to make the comedy more overt, the remake was genuinely brutal and serious with violence so amazingly over the top it was purely entertaining, it clicked for me at least.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:36 am 

All the cackling and shit is why the original is good - it's the sheer insanity of it all, the sheer breaking point Ash is pushed to. That's scary as shit. The remake was not bad, but it didn't even really come close to that. An average movie on a good day I thought.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 am 

I do not find obnoxious cackling scary, at all.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:08 pm 

I watched it again last night to see if there were parts I needed a fresher perspective on to appreciate or to see if maybe it was just because of how let down I was on first (and, until now, only) watch in the theater. Raised expectations not being met and whatnot.

No. Still fucking awful.

-We open with a scene that has no effect on the rest of the movie and actively hurts the rest of it. Where were these gypsy types later on? Why would they leave the book unattended? If there were a book capable of unleashing such an evil force that you needed to help a man burn his daughter alive in order to prevent an apocalyptic scenario involving the demon inside of her then why would you leave it where he and his family already found it? Even assuming you did leave it, why leave the fucking cabin standing? Or, better yet, why not keep a close eye on it to make sure nobody else finds the book?

-I appreciated the reason for the group to be at the cabin and how it could have been used to place doubt on what was happening. It's just too bad that this part of the movie lacks any of the suspense and overall feeling of dread that the original had in spades, focusing instead on the character interactions and trying to get us to sympathize with Mia and David. I'm watching a horror film, a remake of an absolute classic to be precise, so I know what's going to happen to them in this cabin. Stop wasting your 90 minutes and start with the actual horror.

-I'd also like to take this time to say that I hate the color draining filter that is placed on every horror movie these days. I'm not asking for a vibrant palette to remind me of Oklahoma, but I'd like to at least be able to see what a well-lit room is supposed to look like.

-Hidden book. Wrapped in barbed wire. Covered in a trash bag. Every page scrawled with "DO NOT READ" or "THIS UNLEASHED HIM" or similar warnings. Important parts blackened out. I'll read it. This is beyond "horror movie stupid" into "how is this douchebag still alive" territory. Does he ignore the "do not swallow" warning on Draino? Does he regularly mix Pop Rocks and silica gel packets because thinks "poisonous, do not eat" is just part of the packaging?

-Mia hauling ass in one of her friend's cars, crashing, and then leading to the modern tree rape was the best part of this movie. It made sense, it was shot properly, it was acted properly...and there's still a really stupid part as we get to see "the force" personified as a demonic Mia. Just like the original series showed what was running through the woods and chasing Ash and his friends and oh wait no we didn't. That addition made it too on-the-nose, like the director and/or writer are force-feeding us plot points because they either don't trust themselves to tell a story with any subtlety or because they don't think their audience will know what's going on. Most of the people seeing this movie will have seen, or at least heard of, the original, so this crap is completely unnecessary.

-I'm so glad that this one kid knows everything that's going and that he's the reason it was unleashed. You know how the original had everybody completely confused as to what was happening until very late into the movie (when Scotty, as he's dying, pieces it together)? And...nope, instead of being Candarian demons, it's all just steeped in Judeo-Christian mythos. Because that makes it scarier somehow. Oh, and it's also some obligatory "he needs 5 souls to bring about the antichrist" goal instead of just letting the insanity continue to mount as the original did perfectly. THIS is the point where this movie delves from generic horror into intelligence-insulting piece of shit, taking a classic property that was seen as high quality in spite of its budgetary setbacks (and embarrassingly bad acting) and just turning it into another piece of garbage meant for a quick weekend spike at the box office by taking away half of what made it special and replacing it with shit that doesn't work for any horror movie. Period.

-Hey, remember that time we got to learn who David's girlfriend was? And saw her interact with the rest of the group? So that anything that would happen to her would carry weight beyond the (admittedly cool) effects used for her eventual possession?

-Okay, how the fuck is this guy (Eric, the one stupid enough to read the book) still alive and able to move around with such ease after being stabbed in the fucking lungs? If you're going to go with some realistic elements then stick to them. If you're going to go splatstick then stick to it. Don't try to have both because you can't do both.

-Burying her alive (which I wouldn't have known to do without the book having "LIVE BURIAL" written underneath it, thanks producers who think I'm mentally deficient!) and then bringing her back was great. No sarcasm. That was legitimately great and maybe the only thing better about this than the original series (since Ash having the possession forced out of him by memories of his dead girlfriend was stupid even for a b-movie). David then getting the death thanks to the FINALLY DEAD AND POSSESSED Eric actually surprised me when I first saw it because I thought his wearing the same clothing as Ash and being the one with a sister (and being one of the least interesting characters on display) was a dead giveaway to him being the survivor.

-Insert "Raining Blood" jokes here (and I tried cuing it up to see how it matched but it's just slightly off). This seemed tacked on and unnecessary but wasn't entirely awful. There are things I would have preferred (maybe making this big antichrist character not such a pussy that Mia can take him out after having to rip her own fucking arm off), but it wasn't too bad. It is, however, too little too late, as the prior hour and a half of bullshit makes this a cherry (a small one with a stem that doesn't want to come off) on top of a trash sundae.

-Post credits. "Groovy." Nevermind, THIS is the best part of the movie.

With all of that said, I really did enjoy the performance of Jane Levy as Mia, and I'd listen to an argument that she's probably given the best overall performance of anybody in this series. If the rumors of them wanting to continue with this series and then eventually have Mia and Ash cross paths are true? I hope she sticks around. I have a feeling her interacting with Bruce could be very, very entertaining.

I also give credit to them for not just casting a new Ash, a new Scotty, and so forth because they know how iconic Ash is as a character, and anybody but Bruce Campbell in that role would be unacceptable. The little nods to the original (the layout of the cabin, the Caddy being there, Mia wearing a Michigan State sweatshirt, what David and Eric are wearing mirroring what Ash and Scotty were wearing in the original, and the electric carver replacing a chainsaw) were welcome and done well, but they stand out as the best parts of the movie, and if the best parts are nods to the original source material and not what you've changed? Then your product isn't good. They took the superficial elements of the original and forgot what actually made it all work (Sam Raimi's utterly brilliant direction and pacing) and then filled in the cracks with generic pop horror clichés, failing on another level most people don't even point out as Sam and Bruce purposefully set out to make The Evil Dead as anti-pop horror as possible (hence the torn poster for The Hills Have Eyes in the basement of the original, explained on DVD commentary by Bruce as their way of giving a jab at Wes Craven and pop horror in general).

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:13 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
The remake probably should have just been 100% serious. The original is one of the funniest horror-comedies ever made, but it's a subliminally sick type of humour. The cackling is a big part of that, especially if you watch it in an altered state.

Uh..... Isn't the original Evil Dead pretty fucking intense and serious? I don't remember it being funny at all. Maybe the rape-trees were supposed to be funny just because of the sheer ridiculousness of the idea, but the way they sold it to you? Yeah..... Quite disturbing, actually.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:19 pm 

Yeah, the original Evil Dead was a straight horror movie, with pretty much none of the humor the series became known for.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:34 pm 

The original is funny if you look at how bad the acting and most of the special effects were. Its tone was absolutely serious outside of one Stooges-inspired scene in the basement (the part where the projector is covered in blood and the record starts playing by itself). The second took the humor up front and Army of Darkness put the humor that everybody believes the series is known for at the forefront (which is party of why it's also the weakest of the series). Most of the humor of the original is dark in tone and, really, comes from behind-the-scenes stories by Bruce and Sam (namely how Sam would torture Bruce whenever he could).

This may be a comparison that Subrick gets (don't know how many others), but the Evil Dead remake was like a bad Davey Richards match: there's plenty of good elements that just don't matter because of an urge to get too cute with extraneous details.

darkeningday wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:45 pm 

I understood that reference!

As said, I enjoyed the remake, but I can completely understand why someone wouldn't. It definitely had a bit of a "Platinum Dunes look" to it, and most of the characters weren't all that compelling. I liked it mainly for Jane Levy's performance and how brutal it was with the violence. I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to splatter films, so I had no real issue with the movie.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:12 pm 

Haha, a few people here seemingly need to go find a dictionary and look up the meaning of "subliminal" :roll:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:13 pm 

I understand that word perfectly. Doesn't make the movie any more humorous though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:17 pm 

No, I get what you were saying, I'm just disagreeing. There is some sadistic humor in there, but most of it doesn't come from the film and more from the making of it.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:18 pm 

I can see what chaossphere means. It isn't made to be a horror comedy like the sequels, but it's funny in that sick, grotesque way that also makes it completely terrifying if that makes sense. There are some very goofy things about it, but they're goofy in a twisted, bizarre way that you kinda laugh uneasily at...though kids brought up on mostly modern remakes may find it passe and dated or something, I guess, and laugh at it in that way. I wouldn't agree with that though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514 ... 818  Next