* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:51 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:
There was also very little advertising. This is anecdotal, but I mostly knew about the movie from people talking about it online, having seen maybe 1-2 trailers for it (and they didn't make it look very good). This is Andy Samberg post-Sandler movies and it's not like Hot Rod did great business (or was even watchable as a whole).

Meh, I'd rather just watch This is Spinal Tap for the 40th time.

Of course it's no Spinal Tap, but it's not a bad use of like ~75 minutes of your time either. It's of a faaaaaar higher standard than almost the entirety of The Lonely Island's release catalogue, so don't expect it to be "I'm On A Boat" or "Threw It On The Ground" or "Jizzed In My Pants" 'catchphrase' bullshit, that existed only to clog up social media feeds with their sheer ridiculous names. Naw, Popstar is just a good 'ol lighthearted mockumentary that pokes fun at the very industry that paradoxically, the movie leans on for most of its cameos and literally all of its inspiration.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:59 am 

^I'm probably being too harsh on Popstar tbh, but I'm always skeptical of modern Funny or Die-esque parodies that might embellish than legitimately mock and the music videos released were annoying more than anything. If there's meat to the comedy beyond just imitation then I'll give it watch.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:35 am 

The Shallows

This would have been 45 mins long if they had not padded the beginning with glamour shots of Blake Lively surfing. They kept the shark hidden enough not to ruin the film with 'bad fake shark cgi' so props for that. Glad it exists as maybe someone can one up it eventually with a found footage shark movie.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:50 pm 

Jumper - During a near-death experience, Dylan from Bates Motel finds out he has teleportation powers. His home life is pretty rough, so he uses this new ability to make a fresh start, financed by robbing a bank. A few years later, and now played by Anakin Skywalker, he's still not easy to root for. He finds out Samuel L Jackson wants to kill him, reconnects with his old girlfriend, and meets another young jumper who seems to act mysterious for its own sake.

If this had dragged on for two hours it might have really annoyed me, but at 88 minutes it at least went by fast. None of the characters were appealing though, and while I admit I'm biased against romantic stuff in movies, I thought the love story subplot was weak. The main character only became slightly more likeable compared to Jumper #2 in the second half, but by the finale I was just thinking about how teleporting looked cooler in the second X-Men movie.

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 pm 

Edit 2: I talked about disturbing movies and it made me look like a creepy asshole. Making that post was a poor decision on my part and I deeply regret it. I apologize for the discomfort.

Last edited by S9NE on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:01 pm 

S9NE wrote:
Lolita Vibrator Torture

:|

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 pm 

Wonder if I'm now on a list somewhere for googling that. Well, another list after probably getting added to one when I googled The Maiden Rape Assault – Violent Semen Inferno.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:28 pm 

I misread that as "The Maiden Rap Assault" at first, which made me think of this:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:44 pm 

Easily the most disturbing thing on this page.

"LOOK AT HOW FUNKY HE IS"

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm 

S9NE wrote:
I doubt they would have been able to pull off the infamous baby blender scene. Nonetheless, it was still a faithful adaptation.
Oh drats, I was really hoping they could pull off the baby blender scene. o_O :ugh:

I would not type lolita into anything google related, dd. You've probably got at least an hour head start though.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 pm 

On a different non-disturbing S9NE post note I started watching Tupac Shakur films. I don't think Tupac films have ever been discussed on here, what's everyone's thoughts on Gang Related, Gridlock'd, Juice, Bullet, the Janet Jackson one and Above the Rim?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:54 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
S9NE wrote:
I doubt they would have been able to pull off the infamous baby blender scene. Nonetheless, it was still a faithful adaptation.
Oh drats, I was really hoping they could pull off the baby blender scene. o_O :ugh:

I would not type lolita into anything google related, dd. You've probably got at least an hour head start though.

Nabokov is like in my top ten though....

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:09 am 

Tis a shame. Kubrick's film remains a mystery to me.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:57 am 

If you type Lolita 5 times on the internet, Chris Hansen will appear in your bathroom mirror.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:03 am 

Liar. Didn't work.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:09 am 

Budget cuts...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:26 am 

And I brought out tea and biscuits and one of S9NE's box sets and everything :(.

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:15 am 

To be fair, I was planning on posting that in the "extreme horror" thread, but that one has been inactive for five years. Then again, I'm pretty sure other people have talked about disturbing movies of that caliber here.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:10 am 

^ Sure, A Serbian Film, Martyrs, Funny Games and various foundfootage crap routinely gets mentioned but certainly not to the enthusiastic, salivating extent your post seemed to exude. Maybe a little more description or dark humour regarding 'infamous baby blender' and 'Lolita Vibrator whatever' than saying how happy you are to own it and that it is a prized possession, might have made it seem less potential serial killer material is all.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:33 am 

Watched a newer horror flick called The Honeymoon last night, about a guy and a girl just married and hanging out at this idyllic beach house for a honeymoon. Things get pretty weird early on as she starts sleepwalking, and they don't get better. I found this kinda annoying at first, with the two characters' bantering getting to cloying levels and I wasn't sure where the story was going. But it gets better later on and becomes legitimately uncomfortable and creepy and weird. I couldn't stop watching it and I wanted to see what happened. The payoff wasn't brilliant but it did work and was serviceable enough. I didn't think this was stellar but it worked as a solid entry to the genre.

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:37 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
^ Sure, A Serbian Film, Martyrs, Funny Games and various foundfootage crap routinely gets mentioned but certainly not to the enthusiastic, salivating extent your post seemed to exude. Maybe a little more description or dark humour regarding 'infamous baby blender' and 'Lolita Vibrator whatever' than saying how happy you are to own it and that it is a prized possession, might have made it seem less potential serial killer material is all.

I made an edit to the post. Is it any better now?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:31 am 

Watched a couple of movies:

Train to Busan: this was a *huge* hit here in Korea. Would've liked to see it in theaters but unfortunately none in town showed it with English subs and my Korean ain't that good yet. Basically it's a neat zombie movie with a solid flow, i.e. well-written, but the super hammy acting and often kind of bad CGI kept this from really being a must-see. Basically the same overall impression as The Admiral: Raging Sea Water Swirlies of Anti-Japanese Glory or whatever it's called in English. That one had a lot of potential to be a really cool huge historical war epic but was just so ridiculous in the acting and effects departments that I couldn't really enjoy it too much. Same with Train to Busan.

Star Trek: Beyond: One thing this movie did succeed in doing was making me feel like the cast they chose to play these iconic characters really does give a shit about the characters they're playing and the spirit of Star Trek as a whole. While there were a few pretty action scenes in this one, this was the first nu-Trek movie I'll say definitely sucked. Fuck man, there's basically nothing Trek about this at all except the characters. Like, "oh hey, aliens....shoot them without even attempting to hail them!" The fuck was that? Basically the whole thing unfolds with total disregard for how a Star Trek story should play out, and having a villain whose entire motivation for his villainy was not made apparent until the twist at the very end of the movie just made all the stuff leading up to that seem utterly pointless.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:15 pm 

Cop Car - Sleazy Sheriff Kevin Bacon leaves his car unattended with the keys inside, and two boys who can barely see over the steering wheel decide to take it for a joy ride. Not a totally fair comparison, but this sort of reminded me of a nastier version of Stranger Things, in the way it blended childhood shenanigans with real danger. I just didn't think it worked as well here. The kids go from mischievous to downright reckless and stupid, and the ending wasn't all that satisfying.

This movie must have impressed somebody important though, because its director is doing the Spider-Man re-reboot. Or maybe it was his previous film Clown that won him the job?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Star Trek: Beyond: One thing this movie did succeed in doing was making me feel like the cast they chose to play these iconic characters really does give a shit about the characters they're playing and the spirit of Star Trek as a whole. While there were a few pretty action scenes in this one, this was the first nu-Trek movie I'll say definitely sucked. Fuck man, there's basically nothing Trek about this at all except the characters. Like, "oh hey, aliens....shoot them without even attempting to hail them!" The fuck was that? Basically the whole thing unfolds with total disregard for how a Star Trek story should play out, and having a villain whose entire motivation for his villainy was not made apparent until the twist at the very end of the movie just made all the stuff leading up to that seem utterly pointless.

Well, at least the teaser trailer proved refreshingly representative of the movie. That doesn't happen too often.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:16 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Cop Car - Sleazy Sheriff Kevin Bacon leaves his car unattended with the keys inside, and two boys who can barely see over the steering wheel decide to take it for a joy ride. Not a totally fair comparison, but this sort of reminded me of a nastier version of Stranger Things, in the way it blended childhood shenanigans with real danger. I just didn't think it worked as well here. The kids go from mischievous to downright reckless and stupid, and the ending wasn't all that satisfying.This movie must have impressed somebody important though, because its director is doing the Spider-Man re-reboot. Or maybe it was his previous film Clown that won him the job?
I'm betting it's Clown, that movie was actually good or at least 90% on point. The dark humour was hilarious. It was like a Bobcat Goldthwait directing style of tone only done right.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:15 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Well, at least the teaser trailer proved refreshingly representative of the movie. That doesn't happen too often.

They might as well have just shown Star Trek: Renegades in theaters if that trailer is representative of the film. :ugh:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:37 am 

Star Trek: Beyond had better bluescreening, though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:56 pm 

I thought Clown was pretty bad. Not the worst ever, and maybe a few parts were OK, but I never think the whole 'let's parody a bad trope by just DOING that same bad trope' thing is very funny - comes off as lazy to me.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:59 pm 

^ Yeah I didn't get that all. To me it was pretty funny and underrated/

The Hateful Eight has to be my favourite Tarantino effort since Inglorious Basterds and before that Jackie Brown, just everything about it was exceptional and very Tarantino (despite hearing otherwise). Samuel L Jackson of course steals the show with his effortless acting but Kurt Russell a strong contender for second place. It's a long movie but at no point was I bored, it's the perfect thing to put on when the weather outside is shit and storming.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:23 pm 

^I thought The Hateful Eight was pretty good though didn't measure up to some of Tarantino's past work. It's very Tarantino indeed though by the end of it, I didn't really care anymore who lives or dies (which is perhaps why they made clear in the title of the movie that none are too lovable haha). I still think Basterds is his best (or at least my favorite). The way it's structured with a handful of long scenes instead of a bunch of short scenes is relatively unique - or at least rare - and the suspense that was built and developed with each scene was spectacular.

I recently watched the documentary Citizen Four which is about Edward Snowden. It's pretty good though as with many documentaries, it's very one-sided and doesn't even begin to look at any negative effects Snowden's choices may have brought. But the level of government spying - both within and outside the boundaries of the US - is terrifying and the film did a relatively good job of bring much of that to light I thought.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:07 pm 

The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)
Dealing with an elderly relative that's slowly losing their mind is a heartbreaking thing. An ex's grandfather, a kind old man with a quick wit, suffered from Alzheimer's for the last few years of his life. My mother, via the various drugs she needed to take to sustain life and the emotional toll of her imminent death, was not the same person in the last year that she was for the previous 54. Sarah Logan (Anne Ramsay) has been trying to aid her mother for the last year, sacrificing her job and her relationship(s) in order to do so, so when college student Mia (Michelle Ang) inquires about filming a documentary on Alzheimer's patient Deborah Logan (Jill Larson) with monetary compensation, what choice does she have? Things start to turn when they arrive, however, and old truths begin to emerge.

I'm partial to degenerative neurological diseases when used appropriately, my grandmother having suffered from Parkinson's for all of my life until her death. Jill Larson absolutely nails it out of the park here, and Anne Ramsay gives the performance of her career. Their relationship suffered strain for all of her life, with Sarah being a lesbian and Deborah widowed in the early 1970s, and their detached compassion for each other shines so brightly that any moment they're together is, in a word, perfect. Proper respect must also be paid to the supporting cast, Mia's film crew of Luis (Jeremy DeCarlos) and Gavin (Brett Gentile), as their reactions come off as sincere given their occupation and the situation they find themselves in. Gavin, in particular, does something beyond the norm for a horror movie: he makes the choice to leave as things become too crazy.

If there is a fault here, beyond the use of shakycam during "found footage" style segments (where the bulk of the scares come from), it's in the complete turn once the sinister force is acknowledged. No longer is there mystery regarding Deborah's history or where things will go, and the movie turns into every "we must fight the demon" horror tale you've already seen. It's a real pity, too, as a slower unraveling of the mystery would have done the film wonders. The tension escalates perfectly throughout, too, leaving the final act as little more than a generic blur.

I recommend seeing this, at least once. If Jill Larson's amazing performance doesn't have you wanting more by the 30-minute mark then I don't know what to tell you. 6.5/10

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:07 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
^I thought The Hateful Eight was pretty good though didn't measure up to some of Tarantino's past work. It's very Tarantino indeed though by the end of it, I didn't really care anymore who lives or dies (which is perhaps why they made clear in the title of the movie that none are too lovable haha). I still think Basterds is his best (or at least my favorite). The way it's structured with a handful of long scenes instead of a bunch of short scenes is relatively unique - or at least rare - and the suspense that was built and developed with each scene was spectacular.
I need to rewatch IB but my only downgrade is the scenes concerning the cinema could have been executed better. Yes, they were indeed The Hateful Eight but I still managed to kindof root for Major Marquis Warren in a slew of ulgy minded characters. And with no question I wanted
Spoiler: show
Daisy to die and was relieved she did - glad they didn't Rob Zombie it: Daisy lives, cuts up the last characters to pieces and spits on their body parts. There was enough violence and ulgy without getting dour.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:17 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Star Trek: Beyond had better bluescreening, though.

:lol:
Yeah, the effects in Renegades are quite wack, like they did them with iphone apps. But the plot, one of the most retarded ever put to film, was still better than the first Jar Jar Abrams movie because it was a least amusing in its retardation. Since this new fake trek film is the third in its series I have to assume the plots have gotten even more retarded.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:30 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I need to rewatch IB but my only downgrade is the scenes concerning the cinema could have been executed better. Yes, they were indeed The Hateful Eight but I still managed to kindof root for Major Marquis Warren in a slew of ulgy minded characters. And with no question I wanted
Spoiler: show
Daisy to die and was relieved she did - glad they didn't Rob Zombie it: Daisy lives, cuts up the last characters to pieces and spits on their body parts. There was enough violence and ulgy without getting dour.

Agreed on the IB theater scene; as I was typing my above post I was thinking about maybe mentioning that but didn't. Dang though, the opening scene and then the underground bar scene... amazing.

Agreed on HE too. The ending was fairly satisfying and as the movie progressed, I did start to like Goggins' character the most probably. And despite how terrible the characters all were, you did feel sorry for some with the fates they were served...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Agreed on the IB theater scene; as I was typing my above post I was thinking about maybe mentioning that but didn't. Dang though, the opening scene and then the underground bar scene... amazing.
Yes, without question Christoph Waltz' scenes were sublime. His quirky mannerisms were so effective in creating a charismatic yet highly menacing foe. Like a coin thrown in the air and caught, it's side undermined until the final reveal. IB put Quentin Tarantino back on the map of 'great directors with their own unmistakable style' as far as I'm concerned.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:07 pm 

Even though I didn't really like Django Unchained as a whole, it's impossible to argue that Christoph Waltz wasn't great in that one as well. He just utterly inhabits every role I've seen him in. Like the characters he plays, as quirky as they can be, seem more real than a lot of actual people I know in real life.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:40 pm 

Yeah, that's a solid appraisal of the guy, but you've also gotta give credit to lines he's given to work with. Just a fantastic meeting of acting talent, writing and directing. He's just ludicrously likable in his performances.

I thought The Hateful Eight was pretty meh though, to be honest. It was basically just Reservoir Dogs reskinned as Django, and while the ending part was exciting the buildup at the beginning just felt tedious and kind of annoyingly self-aware. The acting performances also didn't really feel right for the time period the movie takes place in, either. Big step down from IB and Django for me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 am 

So it looks like the next (and final?) Wolverine movie, entitled "Logan" will introduce X-23 as Wolverine's replacement. Super stoked to see a frenzied lady-Wolverine. I hope Logan is as dark and violent as it absolutely must be, Old Man Logan is super fucking violent and gritty.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:02 pm 

Saw F for Fake, Orson Welles' last film. As a "film essay", the movie, in a way, is really just a kind of general rambling on subjects such as the paradox of being an "art expert", artists' copyrights and, above all, the fascinating aspects of being a forger. Like, generally, a forger.
I have to watch this again, as the frantic and jazz-like tempo of this movie is quite overwhelming (especially without subtitles). However the cinematography and the sudden, unpredictable cuts switching between the "actors'" faces is super interesting. Like the visual equivalent of free jazz. I don't think you even need to understand jack shit about the topic or whatever they're talking about, you can really just bask in the images' ever-changing tempo.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:06 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I thought The Hateful Eight was pretty meh though, to be honest. It was basically just Reservoir Dogs reskinned as Django, and while the ending part was exciting the buildup at the beginning just felt tedious and kind of annoyingly self-aware.

Yeah, I'd say that about pretty much all of Tarantino's recent movies to varying degrees, with the latest two being the worst offenders. It's not funny or cool, it's just annoying and takes you out of it. Seriously, when is that kind of wink-wink self-awareness ever appropriate outside of the comedy genre?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 818  Next