Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:57 am 

Dredd rules. The slo-mo scenes were gorgeous. Karl Urban made me forgive him for DooM. Look at that fucking scowl and tell me the movie sucks one more time.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I think plenty of the action scenes were good. It's only "weird" that people like it because you seem to think your opinion on what constitutes a good action scene is universal.

No, it's weird because compared to other high-profile action flicks, Dredd has stilted, boring pacing; dull kills; dull choreography; unimaginative faceoffs; bland use of environment; characters with no fucking personality; and overall just tons of wasted setups. I can't think of many other action movies that seemed to so consistently find the dullest way possible through any given scenario. The villain was completely flaccid and impossible to buy into, and the piddling non-conflict at the final confrontation between her and Dredd was just the icing on the cake. Total anticlimax. Dredd SHOULD have been awesome, it had all the pieces in place to set up a nail-biting, high-tension, fucking razor's edge survival marathon, but utterly failed in bringing that experience onto the screen. It's like the directors/writers had never done an action film before, they seemed so clueless as to how to make the best of their scenarios. What the hell.

The slo-mo was definitely cool, yeah, but it wasn't much more than a gimmick.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:59 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
I think plenty of the action scenes were good. It's only "weird" that people like it because you seem to think your opinion on what constitutes a good action scene is universal.

No, it's weird because compared to other high-profile action flicks, Dredd has stilted, boring pacing; dull kills; dull choreography; unimaginative faceoffs; bland use of environment; characters with no fucking personality;

I'll give you that the characters weren't exactly anything great, but really the rest of what you said just proves Failsafe's point, most of the rest of that stuff was actually not true of the movie at all.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:10 pm 

Gangsters, Guns and Zombies-Having finished a bank robbery and on the run in the countryside, a group of robbers find that the area is overrun by the victims of a deadly zombie virus and have to fight off the creatures in order to get away safely. As far as zombie films go, this one was quite decent enough and certainly has enough going for it. One of the better elements is the fact that the running zombies are utilized right in here for one of the only times in their existence, for they still shuffle about with lethargy at times and really seem to be outmaneuvered with ease if the situation was enabling them to hide away from the creatures, yet whenever they spotted their victims the zombies were able to run them down and overwhelm them with their numbers. This is what makes them quite effective, when there's a way out yet they can overpower to generate the kill. There's also some rather fine action scenes that come from these encounters, with a forest encounter with live-action role players in medieval knight-gear, a gas station ambush and an assault on a small house in the countryside being the biggest scenes to make for some fine action moments here and there, while the finale at the dockyard is good if quite brief and could've been stretched out a little more. There's still some flaws here, as a running gag with the group finding passers-by on the roads and keep going only to see them get fed to zombies just after doing so get old after the fourth time it happens as the gag doesn't go anywhere, the make-up effects in general look really bad as the zombies are just outfitted with fangs and blood-shot eyes to denote their zombie-ness and as a comedy, this really fails since it constitutes everyone cursing at one another for it's jokes, which is just lame. Overall, though, there's enough here to like to outweigh the negatives.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Last edited by slayrrr666 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:11 pm 

White House Down: I can't believe so much money was spent on a film so dumb.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:48 pm 

If that movie were just an hour long version of the scene where Channing Tatum talks to the squirrel, but from the squirrel's perspective - I would've loved the shit out of that.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:39 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
I agree though, Pandorum was a neat concept but was just super, super sloppy in its execution.

Pandorum reminds me of Repo Men, a pretty cool sci-fi concept with loads of potential but a lousy half-baked script took away it's legs.
Oh well, at least it wasn't pretentious and self-righteous like Daybreakers or The Adjustment Bureau.

I was really into Repo Men, even though it's a fairly generic science fiction thriller. I liked the oppressive/repressive atmosphere of it, and the mix between future landscapes and modern landscapes. That ending though... I can't tell if it's awesome or terrible. I both hated and loved it at the same.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm 

I re-watched From Beyond and god damn, what a bizarre movie. Barbara Crampton though :love:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I re-watched From Beyond and god damn, what a bizarre movie. Barbara Crampton though :love:

Yeah...it definitely isn't a classic, but it has its charms. Her being one...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm 

Re Animator however IS a classic - bona fide. Love that one...it's my favorite of all those shlocky 80s gore/comedy films. Just tons of fun. It's due for a rewatch come October for sure...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:37 pm 

I still like it a lot. Love all the excuses to get her into skimpy outfits. Everybody knows Jeffrey Combs is the man. But yeah, Re-Animator is just way better. One of my favourite movies ever.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 pm 

From Beyond and Re-Animator rule. Not sure which one I prefer. Have you guys seen Dagon? I thought that movie was pretty good too, despite not at all being about the story it's named after. It's also the wettest movie I've ever seen. Seriously, I'm not sure there was a single scene in that whole movie in which there was no water or moisture of some kind. Kind of a strange comment to make about a movie, I'll grant you, but in this case it added a lot to the atmosphere.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
No, it's weird because compared to other high-profile action flicks, Dredd has stilted, boring pacing; dull kills; dull choreography; unimaginative faceoffs; bland use of environment; characters with no fucking personality;

I'll give you that the characters weren't exactly anything great, but really the rest of what you said just proves Failsafe's point, most of the rest of that stuff was actually not true of the movie at all.

:lol: Alrighty then. We're probably done here. I'll just pretend that all you guys saw some awesome director's cut that I didn't know about that totally rules and doesn't suck.

Re: Re-Animator and From Beyond - I was just thinking yesterday I should put these on my October viewing queue. Could be cool to revisit them. Also need to catch up on the few vintage Carpenter and Cronenberg flicks I haven't yet seen, like The Fog and whatnot. Saw Prince of Darkness for the first time last fall and that was pretty fun. It's no The Thing, but it was cool.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 am 

I love Prince of Darkness. One of my favorite Carpenter films.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:32 am 

I have yet to watch Into the Mouth of Madness from Carpenter's apocalyptic trilogy. Is it comparable to the other two in quality?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:51 am 

Solomon Kane - Nobody talked about this movie, and I don't know why. Another one of Robert E. Howard's characters, Solomon Kane is quite different from Conan. On a quest to save his soul from hell, Solomon Kane agrees to rescue a dying man's daughter; if successful, he will have saved his soul and hers. I really enjoyed this movie, partially because I was happy to see one of Howard's lesser-known characters get some recognition. All of the actors did a really good job, it was action-packed without being stupid, and just in general it was a good hour and forty-five minutes of escapism.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I have yet to watch Into the Mouth of Madness from Carpenter's apocalyptic trilogy. Is it comparable to the other two in quality?

Well it was released nearly a decade after the second installment, so it definitely is the odd one out of the three. The concept is spectacular, as is the climax at the end. Cool flick, all in all.

Last.fm

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 am 

Well I haven't seen Price of Darkness but In the Mouth of Madness is good, not as high quality as The Thing though as that would be his peak along with Halloween. It's a good mysterious all-round hell ride with some crazy visuals and solid dialogue. Very nightmarish in story and execution, and quite unpredictable compared to your average horror. Sam Neil delivers another seemingly effortless superb performance.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 pm 

Age of Dinosaurs-When a biogenetics company announces they have recreated dinosaurs and brought them back to life, their escape into Los Angeles forces a firefighter to race to save both his daughter and the city from the rampaging beasts. This here turned out to be quite a fun if typical Sci-Fi Channel creature feature which means that a lot of the issues present are quite familiar to those with experience in this field. As expected, the CGI is pretty terrible with the usual inconsistencies present where creatures appear to shrink and grow in scale depending on the sequence provided and really don't have too many scenes where it's all consistent with everything else around them. As well, the fact that the misappropriation of size between the different creatures is another factor to deal with, as the film doesn't make any sort of historical accuracies to the different species, mangling the statistics among the different creatures and getting them wrong all-to-frequently. On top of that is the traditional stand-by of looking way too fake and generated outside the set, with their pixelated appearance and design looking none-to-real and being way too obvious about the computerized necessity for their input into the story. That aside, this one wasn't too bad, as there's a lot of fast and quite vicious dinosaur attack scenes that run the range from one-on-one confrontations to being overwhelmed by the size or numbers of the other species and even including a full-scale assault with a military helicopter firing away at the creatures which is quite exciting. The fact that the majority of those scenes are done with realistic-looking puppets or props makes it all the more interesting since they look like they're interacting with the cast for once and it manages to look rather nicely on it's own being so close to the true being. This factor alone saves the film tremendously, and in conduction with the fine action on display makes it really worthwhile.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm 

Huh, I saw that listed on Netflix. Sounds pretty fun. I might have to give it a watch sometime.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:38 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Solomon Kane - Nobody talked about this movie, and I don't know why.

They did. It's just that it's a couple of years old and wasn't really a top-notch flick nor did it really do justice at all to Solomon Kane the character. The flailings, wanings and waxings and whinings of Mark Anthony (who does bring in a good performance) are not what Kane (or any of Howard's characters) were about. It's entertaining - though the dirt and grime can be rather overdone - but I like Kane (as in the Howard character) quite a bit as well as Howard's style of short story-writing - a short adventure with assumption that the reader is aware of the character and the theme being more general atmosphere rather than the more poignant and really driven-home that is more the norm in films such as this one.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:36 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Well it was released nearly a decade after the second installment, so it definitely is the odd one out of the three. The concept is spectacular, as is the climax at the end. Cool flick, all in all.

I thought 'Into the Mouth of Madness' was a Overcast adaptation?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 pm 

Can anyone recommend any good thrillers/horror films set in the Victorian era? Just today I was thinking how awesome a really well-done film on Jack the Ripper or something along those lines would be (think shadowy '70s cinema vibe), sort of a grisly Sherlock Holmes thriller or something with very naturalistic lighting and atmosphere. Ring any bells?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:52 pm 

Don't know if you've seen these or not, but they might be close to what you are looking for.

From Hell
(trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL2NizCjGxo )

Mary Reilly
( trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jb87JTGoMg )

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Can anyone recommend any good thrillers/horror films set in the Victorian era?

The only one I can think of is The Asphyx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6R1Mz9FdA
I can't verify if it's good because I've yet to see it but I've heard nothing but good things.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:04 pm 

The Woman in Black is pretty good. It's not Victorian (to be exact, it's set in Edwardian times), but that general vibe is still there.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:57 pm 

Vidocq

It isn't a great film, but it IS an interesting one. But yeah, watch korgull's recommendation of From Hell first. It's pretty great, and almost exactly what you're looking for.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 am 

Amazeunt! Thanks, people. Will enjoy digging into some of these. '80s Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett was (blessedly) a memorable part of my childhood and I was always pretty fucking into the rich atmosphere of fog-shrouded and gaslit London, with the rattle of carriages over cobbles echoing through its alleyways and caped silhouettes receding into the shadows at every turn. Awesomeness!

I also happened across the 1988 Jack the Ripper miniseries starring Michael Caine while looking into all this, sounds like a winner as well...

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:02 am 

Victorian-era England (and why not the rest of the islands of the time as well, considering Ireland was part of the empire back then - in fact, if anyone can come up with good films set in 18th or 19th century Ireland, would be nice to hear) is a good setting for any kind of film, but I tend to agree. There's a certain atmosphere of horror that it rends itself to very well. I suppose a lot of it comes from the gothic fiction being fairly big around the time.

I'd definitely second the From Hell recommendation. It's a favorite of mine with excellent performances from all four in the center of it as well as the cinematography catching the feeling and atmosphere of Victorian-era Whitechapel.

The Asphyx! Man, I remember seeing that film when I was very young and being dreadfully scared by it. I've been trying to find out a few times what the movie was (the title was translated into Finnish and I can't remember that one either), but never could find it until now. Cheers. I remember it being pretty dramatic and very Victorian gothic in its storytelling and theme though I'd have to re-watch it to make sure. Gonna have to find that one.

Subrick wrote:
The Woman in Black is pretty good. It's not Victorian (to be exact, it's set in Edwardian times), but that general vibe is still there.

Can't remember the era, but you are probably right. However, which one do you mean? The first film made in the late 80s is superb. The atmosphere of mystery and dread is very permeable and it is definitely a film that is spine-chilling. Haven't gotten around to seeing the new one.

Aside from those, there's The Hound of the Baskervilles by Hammer Horror, which sees Lee and Cushing starring in the same film. Not exactly the best of Hammer films, but an entertaining one. And of course, the whole bunch of Dracula films taking place in that era. Hammer Horrors come into mind first of course. Another Hammer Horror in Victorian Cornwall is Plague of the Zombies. A rather simplistic flick, but very atmospheric and entertaining and another one is The Haunted Palace, a mash-up of Lovecraft and Poe. Neither really deal that much with the Victorian side of things. It's mostly in the background with the supernatural on the forefront. Horror Express is another one to fall into that category.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:45 am 

The new one with Daniel Radcliffe. Didn't even know there was an 80s one, but now I'm obligated to find it and watch it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:10 pm 

So...does anyone else think the zombies in the original Dawn of the Dead look like shit? Most of them are straight up just regular people with a bit of white make up. Some dont even look like they're wearing makeup at all. Oh, and I remember that movie being much better. Every character is super bland and boring except the black guy, the soundtrack is lame, and it just generally goes nowhere and takes forever to end.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:19 pm 

I think Dawn of the Dead is overrated, it has it's charm for sure but it's very dated, not enough happens and it's far from being scary. I can't see the utter classic most claim it to be, I'd give it three out of five stars because it's still entertaining and it's fun in most sections and the gore is good. The remake I felt was a huge step in the right direction with much better character development, realism, striking visuals and it has a timeless quality. That would be a four out of five because I think there's room for improvement (jump scares grow dull on repeat viewings).

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 am 

(John Carpenter's) Vampires - This was well under 2 hours but still felt long, because it really dragged in the middle. James Woods was OK as the main vampire hunter, but, ehhhhhh....... I think it's safe to say at this point I'm not much of a Carpenter fan. Of the approximately half dozen of his directorial efforts I've watched (yes, that includes the supposedly classic Halloween), Big Trouble in Little China is my favorite, and that's largely because of sentimental value since I liked it as a kid.

[edit]I forgot to mention, I wouldn't watch a movie called 'Vampires' expecting great dialogue, but there was a line in here that went something like "he'll be unstoppable....... unless we stop him!" Did George Lucas do some uncredited script polishing?[/edit]

caligulasremains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm 

Last movie I liked enough to watch it over and over again was Cloud Atlas. I tend to do that with movies I really like, watch them on repeat for at least a full week.
Anyway the last movie I rented was Bullet To The Head, which I had been looking forward to for literally years, and it didn't disappoint. Not movie of the year but a solid Walter Hill action flick.
The last movie I bought was both Dredd 3D and Total Recall 2012 (the latter of which I had seen in theatres). The last movie I really didn't like was Lords Of Salem, god that was horrible. I'm not a big Rob Zombie as-director fan anyway... I found The Devils Rejects to be the only watchable movie by him and even then it was just not something I'd watch again, strange to say it's watchable and then say I wouldn't watch it again but there it is.

The next movies I plan on renting are Oblivion, Star Trek Into Darkness, and possibly To The Wonder cause I love Terrence Malick (The Thin Red Line is my favorite movie).
I also have Now You See Me, Iron Man 3, Pacific Rim, The Conjuring, RED 2, and World War Z on my to-rent list. after I see all those I might even see The Bling Ring cause... Emma Watson, :love:

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:07 pm 

You liked Bullet to the Head? I couldn't wait til it was over. Just felt like a really bland lazy effort.

caligulasremains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 am 

loved it. i don't take movies like that seriously. its a throwback to classic walter hill, sly, and 80s actioners. they even had exploding cars at one point. lots of fun. were you also disappointed by the awesome Expendables? something tells me you wouldnt like that either cause you just miss the point of those movies!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:39 am 

I tried to watch Cloud Atlas (got a download) but I stopped it after 1hour30, maybe I should finish it but it was utterly boring and painful to watch.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm 

Still waiting for Netflix to get them so I can double feature "The Last Stand" and "Bullet to the Head".

Fuck the Expendables though. Terrible movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I tried to watch Cloud Atlas (got a download) but I stopped it after 1hour30, maybe I should finish it but it was utterly boring and painful to watch.

No, you should not finish it. In fact go back and erase the parts you already saw from your memory. ;)

The Virgin Spring - 4/5

Haunting and somber - this is sort of like Last House on the Left except it actually has some very good drama and character building, whereas Last House just has sleazy nonsense. This has a lot of understated social commentary about religious upbringings and youthful innocence. And later, about revenge. It's a very subtle film and also very direct and to the point, it doesn't meander around or wallow in too much misery or pretension. I like it for that. Mostly what I liked though was the cinematography, just rife with excellent eerie images of nighttime medieval Sweden - luscious, memorable, epochal. This isn't something that will necessarily blow you away, but it's a powerful and important film.

Bad Kids Go to Hell - 0/5

An unwatchable film that I think should result in jail time for whoever made it. Seriously just a mess and I couldn't tell what the fuck the plot was supposed to be at any point. A mish mash of horror cliches ranging from I Know What You Did Last Summer to various 'ghost' movies, this doesn't do any cliche well and comes off as tasteless, vulgar, annoying and boorish. A horrible movie I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies, probably among the worst I have ever seen.

Oldboy - 5/5

I didn't remember how great this movie was. Just a kick ass whirlwind blending the action and violence of a revenge thriller with an almost Shakespearean kind of drama in how over the top and tragic it becomes at the end. This is a complex film, with a lot going on plot-wise and both Dae-Su and his enemy having their own sides and you can see why they're doing what they do. They're very well done characters, and I like how we don't stop learning things about them once the climax hits. They still keep the character development coming even through all the blood and action.

The action is intense and gritty, and this contains some incredibly memorable scenes - iconoclastic I dare say. Just a high water mark. The mystery is also very good, although I have to admit the only reason we'd never figure it out is because it's so insanely bat-shit specific - seriously, the villain's plan is a little TOO far fetched at times. Maybe a little bit of a simpler plan on the villain's part would have made the movie more grounded. But I don't know if I wanted a more grounded film. Part of the reason this is so good is because, despite the horrific violence and gritty themes in it, it has a lot of fantastical, larger-than-life things in it too, and becomes addictive and inimical because of it. Otherwise it might just be suffocatingly dark. Either way this is a great film and I will enjoy watching it again sometime soon.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:05 pm 

Emp, I don't think I even need to ask you how you think the remake's gonna go.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428 ... 818  Next