Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:26 pm 

King Fury has been released on youtube if anyone is interested, they had the premier here tonight but I didn't go because lazy. I remember last year when they were filming it they were looking for extras or something, but again, lazy. Actually I can't even remember, was meant to buy some chili plants from someone and he couldn't make it because he was an extra? Hard to say, the memory is lazy. Someone was an extra, so there is definitely an extra in it.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:49 pm 

Just finished watching it 11/10, everything I'd hoped for.

Now if they would just make a full length.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:28 pm 

Word of mouth convinced me to see Fury Road. It was gud.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:48 pm 

Kung Fury might be the greatest thing I've ever seen. Holy shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:55 pm 

Now they just need to make Kung Fury Road.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:45 pm 

I watched Kung Fury and Fury Road this weekend. Kung Fury I thought was alright but not as good as I was hoping. Didn't really like the dinosaur stuff, but overall it was decent. A bit too much randomness crammed into 30 minutes, but I'd definitely go see a full movie.

Fury Road on the other hand completely surpassed my expectations. I'd heard of Mad Max before but only vaguely knew about it as dystopia+cars. This was that and so much more. The world you get a glimpse of is pretty strange but I liked it. Tons of action, loved the guitar guy (I was so hoping he'd bust out into some Bolt Thrower or something. Maybe next time.), the bosses were a bit of a let down; I was hoping for a showdown between Max and the king mutant, but overall I was really impressed with it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 pm 

Just got back from Mad Max myself, pretty much anything I'd say has already been said in this thread. Lived up to the hype and then some.

And yeah, Guitar Guy stole the show.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:59 pm 

Just saw Mad Max in the theaters. All I can think about is the guitar guy. Maybe I should go back to see the movie again just to see him again.

Oh, and I loved the movie itself.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:29 pm 

It's okay to call him The Doof Warrior and not the "guitar guy", no one will judge you for it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 pm 

Hah, I didn't even know that was his official name till just recently

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:28 pm 

The rapper Esoteric claimed the "Doof Warrior" and "Euphoria" rhyme, that's the only reason I know.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:37 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Hah, I didn't even know that was his official name till just recently

I just found this out. His full name is Coma-Doof Warrior. He even has his own backstory. Check it out right here!
http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Coma-Doof_Warrior

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:12 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Just got back from Mad Max myself, pretty much anything I'd say has already been said in this thread. Lived up to the hype and then some.

And yeah, Guitar Guy stole the show.

Guitar Guy was the only thing about that movie I didn't like.

Still, that movie is an action masterpiece. Disagreement with this is why pirating immersive action epics and watching them on an 11 inch while squeezing that incredible sound design out of lap top speakers is no way to form an opinion.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 am 

Honestly, I think Fury Road accidentally hammered home how bad internet critique culture has gotten to me. I was a big fan of Nostalgia Critic before Channel Awesome went to hell, but I've noticed that he and his ilk have sort of made the norm to be "nitpick everything to death and hate things because of one stupid inconsistency". Because if you think about it, there are TONS of little things in the movie that are silly or don't make sense. Why does Guitar Guy wear red feety pajamas when everybody else is dressed like Quan Chi? Precisely zero of the minibosses actually get a real showdown with the heroes. The Big Emotional Moment in the second act is really forced and corny. How come NOBODY is ever seriously injured after falling out of a car? Tom Hardy changed accents constantly, one time literally within the same sentence.
Spoiler: show
The shot of Max in the Citadel crowd at the end was cringeworthy callback to Bane in the Pit on TDKR
. You could do this forever. But here's the thing, none of that shit matters, and every other nanosecond of the movie was a total blast. I've been trained to look for little shit like that, and I'm just glad that it doesn't ruin shit for me anymore.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Why does Guitar Guy wear red feety pajamas when everybody else is dressed like Quan Chi?

That actually kinda makes sense if Joe wanted him to stand out as a performer (just like metal musicians wearing unusual costumes) amongst all the other whitewashed mooks, and colorful clothing in a post-apocalyptic wasteland is probably hard enough to come by that you have to go with whatever you can find. Which is an equally dumb overanalysis, but eh

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:19 am 

The Nostalgia Critic's style was always just for humor with the nitpicking anyway (with some of it quite funny), but like a lot of things, it caught on and people started doing it way more seriously and annoyingly, to the point where they did it in serious, non-hyperbolic conversations. In reality most movies have some silly, dumb things about them that don't make sense, because a movie is fiction and just a product of the human mind - not everything is going to be perfect all the time. On my own blog I try to make jokes about larger things like plot and meaning, or just random absurdity, rather than nitpicking things these days.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:06 am 

It's tough, because sometimes it's just perfectionist nitpicking that ignores the larger success of the movie, but sometimes movies really are bad because of an overwhelming amount of small, nitpicky issues. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull I'd say is one of them - the plot structure is basically the same as all the other Jones movies, the acting really isn't bad, the production values are quite good - but there are just tons of "nuke the fridge" details which are, in the big picture, totally inconsequential, but are so bad, numerous, and irritating that it just drags the whole thing down.

I mean, take the famous fridge nuke - the plot significance is simply that he narrowly escapes the blast relatively unscathed. The nuke isn't a big important plot element, it's not really important at all, it's just meant to be an exciting bit of action. "How is our intrepid hero going to get out of this one?" But it's such a stupid escape that it's become a big deal, representative of countless details like that which ruin the movie. The monkey swinging scene, the stupid fencing fight on the moving cars, the ridiculous jungle-clearing tanks the Russians use. And they would have been so easy to fix! How simple would it have been to make Indie find a manhole and climb down into the fake town's sewer, then haul ass down the tunnel? Or maybe find a motorcycle and just drive super fast out of there until he can jump down into canyon that shields him from the blast? Probably wouldn't work in real life either, but either of those is way more believable and way less laughable than climbing into a fridge. Heck, maybe one of the fake 50s houses could've had a 50s-style bomb shelter out back. Anyway, the movie really probably could've been saved by just changing a lot of details like that.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:25 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Nostalgia Critic's style was always just for humor with the nitpicking anyway (with some of it quite funny), but like a lot of things, it caught on and people started doing it way more seriously and annoyingly, to the point where they did it in serious, non-hyperbolic conversations. In reality most movies have some silly, dumb things about them that don't make sense, because a movie is fiction and just a product of the human mind - not everything is going to be perfect all the time. On my own blog I try to make jokes about larger things like plot and meaning, or just random absurdity, rather than nitpicking things these days.

And even then, Doug Walker has said time and time again that the Nostalgia Critic is just a character and doesn't really represent his (and his brother's) true feelings all the time. The Critic was furious with Quest for Camelot, but Doug was lukewarm about it. The Critic was furious with Batman & Robin, but Doug just thought it was a silly movie. Same thing goes for James Rolfe and the Angry Video Game Nerd--people for some reason have a hard time separating the character from the person.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:39 am 

failsafeman wrote:
*snip*

(Is this even spoiler-worthy at this point? Eh, may as well).

I'm surprised in all that you didn't mention the aliens, since that's what most everyone seems to jump to after the fridge. I never understood the hate they received given all the supernatural elements that showed up at the climax of the first three movies.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:08 am 

I actually liked that aspect, at least on paper. The execution wasn't great but it was a fairly logical place for Indiana Jones, the globetrotting archaeologist, to go next. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to suddenly switch from the explicitly religious macguffins of the first three movies to something new for the fourth, but the fourth was already the odd man out, so whatever.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I was a big fan of Nostalgia Critic before Channel Awesome went to hell.

I'm a huge fan of the Nostalgia Critic, especially of his earlier works. Things just haven't been as good as they used to be since he sold out. In my personal opinion, his more recent work isn't bad, it's just that they'll never eclipse anything he's done in the past.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:31 pm 

Had a day off today, so I decided to finally watch Dogville. Really impressive, provocative film...it's basically all about the allegory for human herd mentality and corruption, with very little else distracting from that. It was single-minded in its dedication to the premise, and everything it did was just about that. For a three-hour film with such minimal visual adornments, it was impressive that it managed to keep my interest - and not only that, but made me MORE interested as it went on. The plot was cleverly written in and shaded and detailed more as the film went on - all these little details about the people in town welcoming Nicole Kidman's character Grace in hesitantly, and their cruelty towards her increases as she becomes more dependent on them. That's very insightful. It gets more and more over the top and insane as it goes on, but the point is always clear - as a hive mind, people have a capacity for cruelty. I usually don't go for such negative views of human nature, but this was so well articulated and so insightful into the darker side of human nature that I couldn't help but really get into this. It's an engrossing film, smartly made, brilliantly written and plotted out and maybe not one I'd watch over and over - but a powerful one nonetheless.

The ending where she lets her mafia family kill them all was fucking perfect, and the greatest ending a movie like this could have had. Darkly humorous and cathartic after the two and a half hours of grueling suffering we saw beforehand. And I liked the way her character progressed - she was every touchy-feely, liberal-arts-college millennial who wanted to connect with the world and have compassion, and then she just turned coat and tail and had her ruthless killer family slaughter everyone at the end. Fucking hilarious.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:21 am 

I really need to watch the full version of Dogville. The one i've seen was the Australian DVD which, for reasons unknown to anyone except the cum guzzling faggots responsible, is shortened by about 40 minutes. Literally they just cut out random stuff, so the angles kept changing slightly where a chunk of film had been cut out, multiple times throughout the fuckin thing. I now have the US DVD but it's remained unwatched since I got it :oh shit:

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 am 

A shortened version of Dogville sounds like a godsend. The thing droned on forever. The premise was alright but you don't need 3 hours to articulate it, especially in such a dreary stage setting. Imagine a Fassbinder film with everything interesting about it removed and bloated beyond belief.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 am 

chaossphere wrote:
I really need to watch the full version of Dogville. The one i've seen was the Australian DVD which, for reasons unknown to anyone except the cum guzzling faggots responsible, is shortened by about 40 minutes. Literally they just cut out random stuff, so the angles kept changing slightly where a chunk of film had been cut out, multiple times throughout the fuckin thing. I now have the US DVD but it's remained unwatched since I got it :oh shit:

That does sound shitty. :lol: Three hours was certainly pretty cumbersome for this, but I was surprised at how well it kept me hooked in. It started a bit slow, but then, I didn't expect much else.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 am 

Expedience wrote:
A shortened version of Dogville sounds like a godsend. The thing droned on forever. The premise was alright but you don't need 3 hours to articulate it, especially in such a dreary stage setting. Imagine a Fassbinder film with everything interesting about it removed and bloated beyond belief.

It wasn't good. The jump-cuts were extremely irritating and a lot of the dialogue lacked context. If it had been shortened well in a way that wasn't so noticable I may not have minded so much, but it's just a butcher job.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:52 pm 

So Dumber and Dumber To has been dethroned as the worst movie I've ever seen. The crown now belongs to John Wick. What a fucking terrible movie that was, seriously who watched that and said "ok guys good to go, lets share this festering pile of shit with the world". Ughh I can't even begin to describe how awful the last ~hour fourty minutes of my life were.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:22 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
So Dumber and Dumber To has been dethroned as the worst movie I've ever seen. The crown now belongs to John Wick.
You really need to see more movies if that's the worst film you've ever seen.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:27 pm 

No, you've got that backwards. I really need to be far more selective.

Azmodes wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:29 pm 

:lol: Not going to fight you on John Wick, though it really is far from the worst out there. But I'm interested - what did you hate about it?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:30 pm 

I just downloaded that one too since I've heard good things haha...

Anyone think this is entirely legit?
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/1/8700423 ... ion-scenes

It's just so true. Camera work in Nolan stuff and or the Avengers is usually garbage. How about letting us see the action and the actors do the work.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
:lol: Not going to fight you on John Wick, though it really is far from the worst out there. But I'm interested - what did you hate about it?

Well for starters Keanu Reeves. Beyond his horrendous acting 'ability' I found the plot to be generic with sub par writting. The whole sub titles where half of it was written almost comic booky, for lack of a better term, gave me flashbacks to 60's Batman. BLAM, KAPOW, SMASH. I feel like that's what they should have been flashing during the action so it wouldn't have been so painfully obvious that Keanu was only actually in half of his scenes and the rest was done by stunt double.

Umm what else... oh yeah the whole last ten minutes with the car going in circles and him shooting people or when he staples his own stomach srsly? like anyone believes that load of shite. Really all the action in the movie was painful for me to watch. Plus, and I know this is minor, but I can't get over how he held his gun the entire movie. His arms were so bowed out it was laughable. He looked like he'd never held a freaking gun before. And all the violence had a very videogame esque quality to it. Barely any blood considering how many people got shot in the head.

Lastly, what was up with the gold coins? Is this fucking Chucky Cheese's? Are you seriously paying for shit in tokens? C'mon now. And my favorite line in the movie "hey [guy who's name I've already forgotten because my mind is actively trying to wipe all traces of this movie from my memory banks] want to earn a coin"? Yeah man just get the skeet balls in the 100 hole and you'll get your tokens for sure!

Azmodes wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:09 pm 

It was like a cartoon. Not only in that aspect, but morally, too. It's tough to get invested in an action movie where the hero just kills everyone and comes out without a scratch. There was zero danger felt in that movie.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:24 pm 

John Wick is little more than a dumb action movie, but sometimes, all you're really in the mood for is a dumb action movie.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:26 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
John Wick is little more than a dumb action movie, but sometimes, all you're really in the mood for is a dumb action movie is to get unimaginably high and watch Robot Jox.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:16 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
John Wick is little more than a dumb action movie, but sometimes, all you're really in the mood for is a dumb action movie.

Eh, I'll watch the first three Die Hards again.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:01 am 

What is this. John Wick was one of the best movies of last year.

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Plus, and I know this is minor, but I can't get over how he held his gun the entire movie. His arms were so bowed out it was laughable. He looked like he'd never held a freaking gun before. And all the violence had a very videogame esque quality to it. Barely any blood considering how many people got shot in the head.

This doesn't make any sense. For one, that is an actual stance used in real life. Second, getting shot by a 9mm will not cause gore to spray across the room.

Last edited by The Red Snifit on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:03 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Eh, I'll watch the first three Die Hards again.
Second Die Hard is not good. Commando, on the other hand is another dumb action movie that's fun to watch in spades.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 am 

The second Die Hard is a step down from the first and third, but it's still pretty much grade A in everything, and I love it whenever I see it. And to be fair, none of them are exactly dumb action movies, they're all pretty damn well made and smart for the genre.

Commando is fun too though, you're right.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:10 am 

Die Hard 2 is still a fuckload better than the last two attempts.
It's a bit mean-spirited though, killing an entire plane full of innocent people solely to prove a point just destroys any sense of empathy for the villains, and having somewhat sympathetic villains was part of what makes 1 and 3 so great. Sometimes upping the ante can go too far and that's a classic example.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540 ... 818  Next