Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:55 pm 

You mean candid shots of hot actresses without makeup from certain angles can look bad????????????

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 pm 

Who said anything about bad? Kuato is hawt.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:06 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
I have, admittedly, not seen a single thing about it whatsoever other than the fact that Wood is playing Frank.There is only one Frank Zito and it is Joe Spinell. If it's a different take on the story (a "reimagining" or whatever they're calling Evil Dead) and isn't a true remake I might give it a chance... but probably not, I like the first one too much to really give it a chance.

I gathered as much from your first statement. It is a re imagining but the core elements are still there. I'm a massive fan of the first Maniac, I bought a copy early on in high school when they first released it on DVD though Umbrella, I was apprehensive of the casting of Elijah Wood just like every one and felt a remake was unnecessary. I've yet to actually watch the entirety of the remake because it hasn't been released on DVD (probably won't ever be released in Australia), but from all the things I've read and heard and watched, a wide coverage with just enough not to spoil it, I'm positive it's good and ranks with the best. If you don't believe me go navigate to the any horror movie website and read up on it's highly positive reviews, in some instances voted the best movie of 2012. It truly deserves to live on side by side with the original as paying homage while delivering something more violent and more disturbing. Not to mention the soundtrack is all synth based and exceptional.

Well shit, looks like I'll have to watch it after all.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 pm 

It wouldn't hurt. Unlike the large amount of mediocre to awful isolated-location thrillers I've sat through recently.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm 

Holy Shit does this look funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24fo2W5 ... r_embedded

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:15 pm 

Yeah, no.

I was hoping it was just an April Fools gag. Sad.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 pm 

That plot summary doesn't sound bad but the cast is pretty dire...I'm listening to Helstar right now so I didn't bother playing the actual trailer, though.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm 

Have you no soul, darkeningday? They just said "titty fuck"...and it was in reference to a man.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah, no.

I was hoping it was just an April Fools gag. Sad.

Agreed. I'd rather stab my eyes out than watch 2 hours of Danny McBride and Seth Rogen.
The who's who of offensive language and insults masquerading as comedy.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:35 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Have you no soul, darkeningday? They just said "titty fuck"...and it was in reference to a man.

2 Chainz wrote:
Wood grain, chestnut, titty fuck, chest nut!!!!

Funnier than that entire movie.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm 

You probably looked away from the screen when Michael Cera slapped Rihanna's booty. That explains it. That was the shit when that happened.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 pm 

Fuck you pretentious fucks. That movie looks awesome and you know it.
Just like Pinneaple Express and Superbad were awesome.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 pm 

In my growing anticipation to see the Evil Dead remake, I'm delighted it's getting better and better reviews the more I check Rotten Tomatoes. The rating's gone up from a 78% to an 81% in just two or three days.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am 

I feel rather conflicted about that remake. I'll see it of course, but... No Bruce. I just know I'll be laughing at inappropriate moments because I'll keep expecting funny moments where there aren't any. Though I am curious about that tree scene.

Norain Today
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 pm 

"Per qualche dollaro in più". Good movie about real strong brave men :guns:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:47 pm 

Calusari wrote:
I feel rather conflicted about that remake. I'll see it of course, but... No Bruce. I just know I'll be laughing at inappropriate moments because I'll keep expecting funny moments where there aren't any. Though I am curious about that tree scene.

Well the original didn't have too many funny moments in it either as that was played as a straight horror film. Plus in that one Ash was pretty much completely unremarkable as a character; it wasn't until the 2nd movie where all the humor and badassery came into play.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm 

Diablo Cody has never, ever written anything good so why should she start here?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm 

8mm: Nicolas Cage tries to find out if a snuff film is real. Totally engrossing movie, great atmosphere, blaring soudtrack (there's even some Aphex Twin at some point), compelling themes, and entertaining acting over all. I love every performance except the wife's (only cause she isn't given much to do). It really made me think and was one of the better noirs I've seen in a long time. It wasn't well received and I fail to understand why.

Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV: So this movie gave the least amount of fucks of any Troma movie I've ever seen, which is saying a lot. The jokes are reaaaally juvenile and fucked (rape jokes, naming fun of cripples and retards, abortion, ridiculous violence) and it has no pacing to speak of. Ron Jeremy and Lemmy are in it, and there is a retarded character named Tito who does heroin that's the best part of the movie. Really it was pretty entertaining in it's own way, and much better than the tedious second one, but the first still reigns supreme. I miss Toxie's silly voice too, in this one he sounds all manly.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Diablo Cody has never, ever written anything good so why should she start here?

Because she wasn't the sole writer. Fede Alvarez and Rodo Sayagues wrote it too, and I'm sure Raimi, Campbell, and Tapert were more hands on with things like dialogue and whatnot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

:lol: I forgot Diablo Cody was involved. I'm seeing it with a friend on Friday; will be interesting to see how her "wonderful" contributions affect the film...I think it's pointless to remake a movie like Evil Dead, but eh, I also like to stay current with what's in theaters and the trailer didn't look too bad. So we'll see I guess.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm 

The reviews it's getting are making me very optimistic about it. It's now at an 82% on RT, and an 82% for a horror film means nothing but good.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:11 pm 

Diablo Cody (stupid name) wrote Young Adult, which I thought was an alright movie.

Also, like has been said, she didn't write it by herself and it looks promising as hell. I'm rarely optimistic about something like this, but this is one of the rare cases.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
pretentious fucks.

Do you really expect anything less in this thread? A thread where darkeningday posts almost exclusively.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
pretentious fucks.

Do you really expect anything less in this thread? A thread where darkeningday posts almost exclusively.

Oh come on, the movie looks terrible. In no way shape of form will it be anything other than trash and rightly deserves all the negativity it receives. Hardly pretentious which it's the lowest form of comedy, resorting to cheap blows and overly foul language to produce a chuckle, it's below sight gags and slapstick and as such makes Black Sheep with Chris Farley seem outrageously funny in comparison.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
pretentious fucks.

I just noticed that. He's either in this thread, the tv thread, or the FFA.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Oh come on, the movie looks terrible.

Nope. It looks like lot of fun, and I like the majority of these actors, can't wait to see it.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Nope. It looks like lot of fun, and I like the majority of these actors, can't wait to see it.

You know what else had a majority of actors people liked, Movie 43, and that was complete ass.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:43 pm 

Yes, except this movie has actors that generally do this kind of thing while Movie 43 had a variety of actors known for different things. Also if you're seriously comparing those two movies, I don't know what to say to you.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:50 pm 

It's hardly an argument to unwaveringly see a movie based on liking the actors involved.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm 

Except when it totally is. I've seen movies with premises that didn't seem great based on a favourite actor being in them and been entertained.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 pm 

Case in point: anything Nicolas Cage does.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm 

Nah, nobody could have saved Season of the Witch and The Wicker Man. But he did make Vampire's Kiss hilarious.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

He made The Wicker Man hilarious.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

Would The Wicker Man have been as entertainingly bad as it was with someone other than Nicolas Cage doing some of the shit he does in that movie?

Didn't think so.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 am 

Subrick wrote:
Would The Wicker Man have been as entertainingly bad as it was with someone other than Nicolas Cage doing some of the shit he does in that movie? Didn't think so.

Yes, Gary Busey.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:19 am 

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:47 am 

I had linked the teaser poster to "Only God Forgives" when it came out. It had a Gosling's mangled face on it if I remember correctly.
Well, the trailer for the movie is out. Still not sure what to think of it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAgirTtfobk

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 pm 

Continuing my Nicolas Cage quest.

Bringing Out The Dead: This was a really weird, atmospheric movie about A few nights in an ambulance driver's life as he rapidly approaches nervous breakdown. The character study was compelling, and Cage gives one of his better performances, only going over the top a few times. Every other paramedic he works with is a colourful
character, but also a huge dick. The price to pay to deal with death on such a regular basis. The cinematography has a dreamy, almost surreal flair to it and it's quite a lethargic movie. Spending all
of it's time on character development. There is a plot, and yes some love, but it's very much not in the foreground and it really feels like a few days in this man's life.

The Rock: popcorn blockbuster. Michael Bay's best movie probably. It's pre-2000's too. I wasn't crazy about the look of this movie, again it's Michael Bay, but the action is satisfying and has less of an abuse of quick cut bullshit I'm used to from him. Oh, it's still there, just less. And with a movie that has Nic Cage AND Sean Connery, you can imagine the sheer charisma emanating from
the screen. It makes some of the super lame and trite action movie puns and "jokes" passable. "It seems like you're stuck in between...The Rock and a hard place" God damn it, Sean Connery.
Also interesting is that the villain is an even more compelling character than the good guys, with good motivation, and you find yourself rooting for him. There's some almost Call of Duty-esque sequences near the hour mark which left a sour taste in my mouth, but the movie make up for it with it's car chase.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 pm 

Watched The Tenant last night, really cool film. The scene with the tooth creeped the fuck out of me.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:42 am 

Spoiler: show
Ash is in the Evil Dead remake as a cameo.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399 ... 818  Next