Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:16 pm 

I think Oppenheimer is the only major Oscar winner I saw. Still debating whether to watch Poor Things on Hulu.

Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire - A Zack Snyder movie that's nice to look at but needed a stronger script. Might not even bother with part 2. 5 / 10

Thanksgiving - Amusing expansion of the Grindhouse trailer. 6 / 10

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:05 pm 

Poor Things is 100% worth seeing.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:20 pm 

The Devils - a story that is relevant today.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 pm 

Just watched Dune part 2, even more epic and stunning than the first one, Villeneuve setting the bar super high and continues to outdo itself

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:05 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
Just watched Dune part 2, even more epic and stunning than the first one, Villeneuve setting the bar super high and continues to outdo itself

I wanna see it again, I loved every minute of it.
Spoiler: show
The visuals and general aesthetic are magnificent. The visual FX are incredible. The action and suspense are great. I loved seeing Paul ascending, there is definitely something sinister about him gaining power; I don't know the books, so I don't know how it turns out, but the vision where lots and lots of people die because of him doesn't seem like a good omen. The sudden change when he embraces being Lisan Al-Gaib and his cold calculation dropping Chani over a marriage of convenience, it makes him a really interesting and layered protagonist. I'm not sure if he's the ultimate hero or villain of the story, and that's exciting. The visuals of the Harkonnen's home planet, the scene where Paul rides a worm, the final assault on the city, everything was amazing. The first one was good, but there was a lot of setup, it moved slowly, contemplating, this one is much more explosive. 10/10.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 pm 

The Lair of the White Worm - Bram Stoker's other vampire story. I love this movie, it's brilliant horror. Has a perfect amount of mystery, humor and history/legend.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:39 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:

Bronze Age wrote:
The Lair of the White Worm - Bram Stoker's other vampire story. I love this movie, it's brilliant horror. Has a perfect amount of mystery, humor and history/legend.

Seems like you're on a Ken Russell kick. I remember enjoying both when I saw them. My Mom (who is not a horror fan) saw Lair of the White Worm when it was released and was unable to see any Hugh Grant film afterwards without thinking of Lair....

Speaking of director kicks, I'm doing a Werner Herzog project and I just got done revisiting Fata Morgana, which I remember having a hard time enjoying when I first watched it over ten years ago. I enjoyed it significantly more this time around and was able to get on its wavelength of presenting footage of the Sahara and Sahel deserts and making them look like a foreign planet. It's a very "trippy" movie (for wont of a better term), and you kind of have to know what you're getting into in order to get any enjoyment out of it, but I felt I was well prepared this time around.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:45 pm 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:

Bronze Age wrote:

Seems like you're on a Ken Russell kick. I remember enjoying both when I saw them. My Mom (who is not a horror fan) saw Lair of the White Worm when it was released and was unable to see any Hugh Grant film afterwards without thinking of Lair....

Speaking of director kicks, I'm doing a Werner Herzog project and I just got done revisiting Fata Morgana, which I remember having a hard time enjoying when I first watched it over ten years ago. I enjoyed it significantly more this time around and was able to get on its wavelength of presenting footage of the Sahara and Sahel deserts and making them look like a foreign planet. It's a very "trippy" movie (for wont of a better term), and you kind of have to know what you're getting into in order to get any enjoyment out of it, but I felt I was well prepared this time around.

Yep, just saw Whore and now on to Altered States.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:37 pm 

Just saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire- Id say its about the same as the last one.
I really wish they wouldve done a third one say, 30 years ago.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:15 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Just saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire- Id say its about the same as the last one.
I really wish they wouldve done a third one say, 30 years ago.

I'll be going to see this at some point.

Ghostbusters was everything when I was a kid and the nostalgia is too strong no matter how bad reviews say it was.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:31 am 

Wonka - Ehhh.... Not everything needs a prequel/origin story. Whole movie felt like a fanfic of the Wonka character. Look how quirky and weird Wonka is in this musical where he takes on the chocolate mafia. I found him always being happy and full of life annoying I would have preferred if he was more of a sociopath. Key & Peele guy and Mr. Bean were pretty good in it though. 2/5
Daughter didn't understand any of it but liked the songs she gives it 3/5

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:55 pm 

The new Ghostbusters felt like an eternity. I was clawing my eyes out. It was terrible.

I gave Afterlife a 5/10 for having its heart in the right place and doing what was possible given the circumstance of having one of the most important parts of the Ghostbuster team being dead.

How do special effects from 40 years ago look better than today?! - me screaming into the void

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm 

Sexy Beast - this is pretty entertaining. Ben Kingsley is great but so is everyone else really. I had not seen this in over 15 years but it held up.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:45 pm 

Portrait of God (Short Horror Film): seven and a half minutes of your life well spent.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:21 am 

Little Odessa - pretty good.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 pm 

Heat - a good movie and cast, I had not seen this since its release. I like Pacino but there are times where he is a little over the top.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:57 pm 

Nearly finished watching all the Saw movies, just X to go. They've been to put it bluntly all shit, but once I started I was committed to the end.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:37 am 

You Hurt My Feelings - eh, it was alright. The premise was at least relatable, but the different threads of the movie made it seem both rushed and compressed. It was slated as a comedy/drama, and that feels right. I laughed a couple of times. 6/10.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 am 

MikeyC wrote:
You Hurt My Feelings - eh, it was alright. The premise was at least relatable, but the different threads of the movie made it seem both rushed and compressed. It was slated as a comedy/drama, and that feels right. I laughed a couple of times. 6/10.

Wonderfully done movie.

Some stuff I've seen lately...

Love Lies Bleeding - really excellent new movie by Rose Glass, who also did the awesome Saint Maud back in 2019... this is a shift to a kind of period piece, crime story, a bit of romance. It's gritty, wild, fun. Propulsive and violent and just a great time. Loved it.

You'll Never Find Me - minimalist horror movie focused mostly on two people stuck in a house in a rainstorm - one of them a mysterious young woman who says she was vacationing, the other an old recluse hermit guy. Gets pretty trippy. Paranoid, surreal - I dug it.

Baghead - classic-style folk horror - an English pub with a secret underneath. Old school tale of giving into temptation. Pretty interesting, a well done movie overall.

Immaculate - religious nun-horror... not really anything you've not seen before, but some spooky directing chops and cool visuals make it worthwhile enough.

The First Omen - another religious nun horror movie. Prequel to the classic Omen from the 70s I guess; not really something I'd normally like, but it was better than any of the sequels anyway. Mature, took itself seriously and a nice sense of paranoia lurking. Some more good imagery. Not essential viewing but it was good for what it was.

Satanic Hispanics - anthology horror with a lot of comedy... the first story is by the great Demian Rugna who did Terrified and When Evil Lurks, and it's cool. After that it gets a bit weird tonally and the comedy doesn't work.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:33 pm 

Deal of the Century - This was hilarious. 80's satire of defense industry.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:36 am 

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire - I have a soft spot for these MonsterVerse movies, and this one is very good, too. Your mileage may vary depending on how you view the series as a whole, and if you're even into kaijus, but I quite enjoyed it. Like the other movies in the franchise, it's not perfect (needed more Godzilla in the movie overall, for example), but it's big dumb CGI fun and I think that's why people see it. Accounting for recency bias, this could be the best one in the series so far, but we'll see. 8/10

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:

It's pretty shocking to me there's an 80's Chevy Chase movie I hadn't even heard of till now.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:37 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:

It's pretty shocking to me there's an 80's Chevy Chase movie I hadn't even heard of till now.

There is always something else out there, CoconutBackwards.

Starman - Somehow I made it through the 80's without seeing this. Pretty sappy and corny but had a few laughs. I never realized this was a John Carpenter movie.

Afire - Good movie about a hypersensitive, insecure writer who is a bit of a jerk but just can't help himself and also some tragic events.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 pm 

Inferno - the sequel to Suspiria. I think it is the better movie of the two. I love how nutty and over the top these movies are. A continuation of the story, all new characters, but structured similarly.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:
Inferno - the sequel to Suspiria. I think it is the better movie of the two. I love how nutty and over the top these movies are. A continuation of the story, all new characters, but structured similarly.

The only thing about Inferno that I can't get into is Keith Emerson's score, but apart from that, I think it's pretty good stuff. Deep Red is probably my favorite Argento, but Inferno and Tenebre compete for second place.

It was my birthday yesterday and I decided I'd binge on Eastern European folk films so I decided to rewatch Jiří Barta's Pied Piper which aesthetically is like the meeting point between Jan Švankmajer and the Brothers Quay. It's really creepy looking and all the dialogue is gibberish, so there's no subtitles required.

I then rewatched Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors which I love, and then I watched for the first time a more recent film called November, which is bizarre and fascinating. It has the aesthetics of a gritty, dirty medieval film à la Andrei Rublev but it also introduces some magical elements like a servant who's made entirely out of sticks and bones that can walk and talk. It's very beautiful but I'd be lying if I said that I entirely understood everything that happened in the film. Its style was so engrossing though that I pretty much didn't care about that and I'll definitely be revisiting it.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:57 pm 

Emerson's score works well with the movie and it is so wild it kind of provides comic relief.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 814, 815, 816, 817, 818