Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 pm 

I believe greysnow is right in that present circumstance makes a fairer determinant than ancient claims, at least in this context.

greysnow wrote:
the English demanding a piece of Schleswig-Holstein

I tell you, on a natural/geographic level, when I'm in Wacken I feel like I could easily still be in England :D Just a trivial sidenote.

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:28 pm 

If Iran gets nuclear weapons and a nuclear war ensues between them and Israel, it will be a great day for Palestinian-Israeli peace, since there will be no Israel (and via fallout, probably no Palestine) anymore. And much less of Iran, too.

Of course, the rest of the oil-driven world will fall into economic chaos. No easy solutions, only quick and painful ones.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:54 am 

NeglectedField wrote:
I tell you, on a natural/geographic level, when I'm in Wacken I feel like I could easily still be in England :D Just a trivial sidenote.

Okay, let's do a deal, you can have Wacken, and we'll have the Channel Islands. :D

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:19 pm 

Nobody has commented on this yet?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=5364719
http://my.earthlink.net/article/int?gui ... 7774416494

Swapping a child murderer in exchange for... two dead bodies. What is Israel thinking? :nono: Worth mentioning that Kantar received a hero's welcome in Lebanon...

Fungicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:47 pm 

I suppose it's much easier to motivate troops, especially ones who are as concerned about what happens to their dead bodies as many orthodox jews are, if they are confident their bodies will be properly buried after they are killed in the line of duty. Still, seems odd.
You often say 'I would give, but only to the deserving'. The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your field... And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves to fill his cup from your little stream.
Kahlil Gibran

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:13 pm 

It is less about burial or motivation, more about doing what's right. There have been petitions floating around by soldiers and officers demanding the government not to return any prisoners for their bodies, dead of alive, if they are captured by the enemy. But almost every Israeli war prisoner, or captured soldier/civilian, was eventually returned in some sort of a deal. It's the right thing to do, and I think the price on this deal was not that horrible - two hundred bodies and five living prisoners, for two bodies to be returned to their families... Even if it is Kuntar to be released. Kuntar and the other four are nothing in the big game, even if it hurts to release a child murderer and other terrorists. It's not fair, but it's the right thing to do.
The price for Gilad Shalit will be much higher, with atleast a hundred terrorists being released back to Hamas hands.. Most of them with blood on their hands, who committed hideous acts of murder and terror not much better than Kuntar. But still, he has to come home.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:17 pm 

Explain why releasing a murderer in exchange for dead bodies is "the right thing to do"?

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Explain why releasing a murderer in exchange for dead bodies is "the right thing to do"?

Because the government "cares" for its people, and there was a HUGE campaign in the country requesting to bring them back.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:40 am 

Sickening to read and something that imo should have never even been considered. Of course if I also had my way they would have planted some type of tracking device inside him and after the exchange was made drop enough cluster bombs in the area to obliterate him and the ilk who were throwing a heroes welcome for the sob.

And yes before anyone else says it clearly it is a good thing I will never lead a country.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 am 

The_Count wrote:
Sickening to read and something that imo should have never even been considered. Of course if I also had my way they would have planted some type of tracking device inside him and after the exchange was made drop enough cluster bombs in the area to obliterate him and the ilk who were throwing a heroes welcome for the sob.

And yes before anyone else says it clearly it is a good thing I will never lead a country.

He went straight into Hizballa HQ, which is located in a neigborhood with children and hospitals. Do you now understand how hard it is for Israel to attack?

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:02 am 

aChapo wrote:
The_Count wrote:

He went straight into Hizballa HQ, which is located in a neigborhood with children and hospitals. Do you now understand how hard it is for Israel to attack?

I understand it perfectly, I have nothing but full support for Israel and the constant war they are in. I do not agree with letting go fighters who tomorrow for all we know will pick up a rifle again but as I said I am not in charge so I will leave it to people wiser than myself.

All the same if they could get a few dozen kills on potential violent terrorist a hospital would not stop me from bombing the hell out of the area. The terrorist would have brought that upon themselves when they decided the little war they are fighting is worth risking the well being of their families.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4