Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
Musick wrote:
As an American (by birth, not mentality) I would like to present this point-of-view:

I am generalizing here, but our national obsession with "me." Nobody ever thinks about "us" anymore. It's all about "me". "You" are on your own. "We" is a convenient umbrella for a collection of like minded "me's".

Were just spoiled little kids who never learned to share our toys and see nothing wrong with going to another kid on the block and taking their toys.

Get out.

Youre not contributing anything with your ignorance. Please, lets work to dispel the myths about North America, not propagate them.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:56 pm 

Kraehe wrote:
It does seem like Americans are more used to fund-raising, but the problem is, a lot of the donated cash goes to things that European model governments would fund anyway (eg. the arts, social welfare).

Actually, I think most of it goes to countries that are beyond saving and not really worth the bother when there's domestic issues that could be solved within a decade if people didn't send their money overseas or to their boyraping priests.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:04 pm 

OP here, wow guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm still curious about users from all other parts of the world -- even if your country has nothing to do with the current situation in the Mid-East, I'd still like to hear and know about you and your country's opinion.

I got a long list of replies, so, here it goes.

incarcerated_demon wrote:
Simplistically, I'd say my home country Malaysia doesn't think much of you. There's always a bit of the anti-American sentiment there, more to do with your (perceived?) support of Israel more than anything else. Muslim Brotherhood 4eva and all that sort of thing. Also, we kinda bear a grudge against Mr George Soros for causing the 1997 economic crisis, but that's nothing to do with the government of the US.

I can understand how many countries would dislike us due to our support for Israel, and while I am in no way Anti-Semetiic, I do think that the first step to at least getting on neutral terms with many Middle Eastern countries would to back away from Israel. We've funded them, given them money, trained their military and many other things for decades and I think now's the time to let them go on their own. No hand-holding. If Israel's such an issue, let them handle it; They kicked ass in the Six Days War, and which current technology, I'm sure they can handle themselves. Americans have no business in Israel anymore.

Geeks wrote:
I think Australia is much the same as UK in being that people here get sick of the 'little brother' thing and the general populace question the need to continually follow the US on most subjects.

I tend to look at it more realistically (as opposed to Idealistically), fact of the matter is that a trillion dollar economy with such vast resources is always going to be a (if not The) leader of the Western world so any g'ment who doesn't fall in line to some degree would eventually do their own people a disservice.

I have never looked at Britain or Australia as being 'siblings' to the US; I've always known that England's our greatest ally -- and forgive me for being ignorant, but I've always assumed you Aussies didn't like us. Dunno why, no real reason, Australia just -- to me -- seemed like one of those countries who didn't have us too high on your friendship list.

Geeks wrote:
Back on topic, I do worry about how heavily the USA seems from an outsiders point of view to be weighing in so heavily on the zealous side of Religion....is it an exaggeration that "the bible belt" is becoming "the bible country?"
I really hope so.

America is supposed to be a Christian nation, no doubt. And the fact that our leaders and government will constantly look to religion as a means of .. hell, I can't think of a word. But I'm sure you get my idea. In any case, it's a fallacy. Just because the Bible says one thing, it doesn't make it right. It's make it THE right decision or THE best decision; This is all bias on part of the believer -- who may very well be one of our leaders, unfortunately.

I think religions hould be left out of Government. here in America, we have what we call "Separation Of Church And State", or, well.. we're supposed to have that.

Imperium_X wrote:
Nightgaunt has a new target.

What? What did I do?

Musick wrote:
As an American (by birth, not mentality) I would like to present this point-of-view:

I am generalizing here, but our national obsession with "me." Nobody ever thinks about "us" anymore. It's all about "me". "You" are on your own. "We" is a convenient umbrella for a collection of like minded "me's".

Were just spoiled little kids who never learned to share our toys and see nothing wrong with going to another kid on the block and taking their toys.

This doesn't provide anything to the topic of this thread. Quit trying to sound philosophical and actually contribute something to this thread. Otherwise, please don't post here.

Napero wrote:
long ass post

Yeah, our president certainly lost alot of support from the other countries that hopped on the bandwagon when we announced our "War On Terror" -- I probably shouldn't use the words 'we' and 'our', since alot of people here are opposed to the war (NOT ALL OF US ARE BAD!!).

In any case, on the subject of Afghanistan, the main reason -- or at least what WE as a NATION were told -- for that attack was because Osama Bin Laden was said to be hiding in the country. Only later -- like a year or so, guys? -- was it confirmed that he had corssed the border into our friendly neighborhood nuclearly-unstable-government'd Pakistan. Apparently, that when our leaders went "Ooh, this bush has thorns!" and we backed away. As for Iraq, I dunno. It was said that Saddam had chemical weapons and we went and searched for them -- mainly due to all his campaigns against the Kurds -- who are indigenous to the area, I might add. They are basically being forced out of their lands -- there're two sides to every coin. Apparently, the Kurds are also rebels of some kind, and have been assaulting Villages in Syria, Turkey, etc. So now they've basically lost all sympathy we had for them (Ironic.)

But yeah, Saddam needed to go anyway. As for Saudi Arabia, from what I understand, despite the backstabbing shit-talk that is spawned from that nation and their government, we are -- apparently -- are good terms them, politically speaking. This is why we're not look at them. They're under our radar because they have -- million dollar question -- Oil. Everyone here -- especially at my High School (Where, surprisingly, even the muscle-bound Jocks know foreign politics) -- that Arabia funds the terrorist groups around the world, and the proof lies in the giant ass Mosques that are constantly being built here.

I don't see how our financial issues would affect you all the way over in Finland. of course, my American History teacher from last semester told us that if America should collapse today, there would be a global economic depression. If this is true, I don't know either way.

What SHOULD concern you is if we fall tomorrow, who will be the country to have the balls to step up and start slapping Nuclear Weapons restrictions in our place? I know Finland told Muslims politicians to basically 'fuck off' when they came to all these european countries asking for a voice in their governments (Go Finland! And Sweden, I'm rather disappointed in you.). Perhaps Finland should step up after we're gone and create the first Finnish Empire! (Finlandia, Napero? :P)

DGYDP wrote:
Here in Belgium most people consider the Americans ignorant and extremely stupid. The law suits and all that get ridiculised very often and whenever somebody says something stupid about geography or culture, jokes about Americans are bound to happen. I hear jokes about how Americans are so chauvinistic at least once every day ("God bless America." "This is why this country is so great." "Freedom." etc.). Another issue that gets laughed at a lot is that Americans don't know any other languages, think they own the world.

I know all about you Belgians and how much you dislike us (I partly think it's because Belgium's mostly French, and we openly told the French to suck cock when they -- and I can agree with them for doing so -- denied to help us in the Middle East?). I, however, don't have any issues with you or your countrymen. And btw, we don't crack jokes about Waffles everytime someone says their Belgian.

As for Americans not knowing other languages .. wrong. Many Americans today are either the offspring of immigrants or are immigrants themselves and speak another language besides English in their homes, as well as at school. And it's also a graduation/college requirement over here to have taken two years of a foreign language class in High School. I know that here in Florida, in my county and in neighboring counties, the languages that are offered are French, Spanish, Greek, Latin, German and Dutch.

I took two years of Spanish, and I've signed up for German as an elective next year. You cannot say I belong to that group of people who 'do not know a second language'. I may not be fluent (YET), but I know enough to make conversation in your country (Assuming you're from the French quarter of Belgium -- I'm sure you may not be, though.).

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

Kraehe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:12 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Kraehe wrote:
It does seem like Americans are more used to fund-raising, but the problem is, a lot of the donated cash goes to things that European model governments would fund anyway (eg. the arts, social welfare).

Actually, I think most of it goes to countries that are beyond saving and not really worth the bother when there's domestic issues that could be solved within a decade if people didn't send their money overseas or to their boyraping priests.

Meh, don't worry, peak oil will end civilisation within a few decades anyway ;)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:18 pm 

Kraehe wrote:
Meh, don't worry, peak oil will end civilisation within a few decades anyway ;)

I have news for you: peak oil was three years ago. Now that the long slide down has begun, I suggest that the last person remaining will turn off the lights before dying. ;)

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:21 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Another issue that gets laughed at a lot is that Americans don't know any other languages

I don't see why this is that big of a deal. The nation stemmed from English-speaking British colonies. Legal immigrants from other countries typically try to learn English, and most of the U.S. does not border any other country. You live on the border of France, the Netherlands and Germany, it would make sense and be practical for you to learn at least one other language in addition to your native tongue. My state has no borders with another country, and none of the bordering states have are next to another country. Realistically, if I am going to enter into the business world (most do) almost everyone I will work with in future employments will be fluent in English and probably have little grasp of any other languages. We pay for our college education here (either the students or their parents), it would be a waste of our tuition money to learn something we'll never use. It's understandable for high schools and lower to mandate secondary language classes---lower education is free. College is expensive.

I more or less agree with most of the criticism of my country's foreign policy. Domestic policy is another issue. As far as social issues and "the people," having not been to other countries to compare with I can't really say anything.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:46 pm 

Jumping on the hating US of A-oline!!! WEEEEEEE

Of course there are things that I don't like about the country but for the most part, I am glad that I ended up here and not somewhere else. I don't have to get worried about being shot or killed or bombed and I can go do my own thing. I think a lot of people expect too much of their country.

To expand what I dislike, I am fed up with the completely liberal take on a lot of issues and the yearly (it seems) descent into a miasma of overblown political correctness that the country suffers from. We have too many people who expect that they should be given the right to partake in their own culture but get offended when someone else does. As an example, I heard that minority groups are offended by Christmas decorations and pressured their towns to remove them. What would happen if we told them to remove their religious holiday decorations? There is a definite double standard that exists in our (USA) overall culture. This also extends to something that also bothers me - the loss of a national language. There are more and more people who can't speak English who live here and who I have to deal with on a daily level. If I am graded on being able to speak a different language in school, why aren't these people graded the same way when it comes to speaking English? I can't graduate college without a foreign language... why can they live in this country when they can't speak the language that this country is founded on? This could tie in with political correctness also - we are forced to sacrifice our way of life for the "good of the stew."

EDIT: To the above post about American's not speaking another language... That is a total crock of crap. Many have parents from other countries and speak native languages in their house and English in public - something I have no issue with and would actually promote. I completely agree with everything that Earthcubed wrote in his reply. We are a country with no reason other than cultural traditions, to learn multiple languages.

For the people who live in Europe and are saying that they hate the USA getting involved in world conflicts, I am pretty sure that we had a major role in making sure that you weren't being shot in the back of the head and laying in a ditch about 60 years ago.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:57 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
For the people who live in Europe and are saying that they hate the USA getting involved in world conflicts, I am pretty sure that we had a major role in making sure that you weren't being shot in the back of the head and laying in a ditch about 60 years ago.

So did the Soviet Union. And anyway, almost none of the people who did that are alive. The nation's leaders are no more deserving of gratitude for what their grandparents did than they are deserving of having their money stolen by the state and given to slave descendants for what their great-grandparents did.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:58 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:

America is supposed to be a Christian nation, no doubt...

No, North America is NOT a christian nation. The US Constitution is a secular document. It begins, "We the people," and contains no mention of "God" or "Christianity." Its only references to religion are exclusionary, such as, "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust" (Art. VI), and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" (First Amendment). The presidential oath of office, the only oath detailed in the Constitution, does not contain the phrase "so help me God" or any requirement to swear on a bible (Art. II, Sec. 1, Clause 8).

In 1797 America made a treaty with Tripoli, declaring that "the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." This was written under Washington's presidency, and approved by the Senate under John Adams.

Lunar_Strain wrote:
This doesn't provide anything to the topic of this thread. Quit trying to sound philosophical and actually contribute something to this thread. Otherwise, please don't post here.

I disagree. So do a few others, if you read their comments.

By seeing the mentality of the hated you begin to understand.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:02 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:

So did the Soviet Union. And anyway, almost none of the people who did that are alive. The nation's leaders are no more deserving of gratitude for what their grandparents did than they are deserving of having their money stolen by the state and given to slave descendants for what their great-grandparents did.

Touche. Though there would be far less countries if we didn't step in and half of the users would on this website, probably, wouldn't exist. I agree with your sentiments though.

greysnow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 pm 

In German cliché, the archetypal American drives his SUV through congested highways in the morning, shooting at competing SUVs with the gun he has on him at all times. When he has arrived at work he will immediately be fired for being late just once. Distraught, he drives ten yards to the nearest hamburger restaurant to stuff his already comically obese frame with burgers the size of dinner plates and liters of cola. Coming home, he sits down in front of the TV (no need to switch it on, it has been running all day) to consume a TV dinner and a six-pack and watch the baseball world series or whatever it's called (we don't care). On Sunday, he will attend service in a church where it is preached that the world was created in 4,004 BC and that all fossils were put in the ground to fool the unbelievers; afterwards, he will perhaps go to a meeting of the NRA. Asked about the capitals of three South American countries, he will say: "Buenos Aires, Rio, Portugal". He saves money all his life to let his kids go to college where they will learn stuff that is taught at basic school level in Germany. Now that he is unemployed he will end on the street in a year and look for food in dumpsters if he doesn't get killed by a sadistic corrupt policeman first. If he manages to get on his feet again and registers to vote, he will vote for the candidate with the cleanest record in terms of sexual morality and the best record for prisoners executed during his term as governor, no matter what else is at stake. If his country should go to war, he will happily wave a little paper flag and cheer the troops from the sidewalk no matter why they're fighting - after all, he's used to that through annual attendance of ridiculous parades for something or other. He believes in UFOs and Elvis' eventual return in one.

Okay, I exaggerate, but just a little. That is how many Germans think about the US, at least when you don't confront them about it.

Personally, I share the contempt for the current administration; for its unsocial policy of giving to the rich and letting the poor fend for themselves; for its bible-bashing and its use of torture; for its imperialist war mongering veiled by thin excuses; for its Orwellian hunger for the personal data of its citizens; for its environmental irresponsibility.

Most American people I have met, online or otherwise, were polite, intelligent, often very cultured people, and the only explanation I have for the German cliché ridiculed above is sheer ignorance and an unwarranted European feeling of cultural superiority.

Still, advocation of the death penalty and a high degree of racism is something that I find sours my appreciation of America a bit. On the other hand, the culture of debate is developed further than in Germany - funny how that doesn't transfer to TV debates in national elections.

Oh, and I really love cheeseburgers and cola. :)

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:24 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:

To expand what I dislike, I am fed up with the completely liberal take on a lot of issues and the yearly (it seems) descent into a miasma of overblown political correctness that the country suffers from. We have too many people who expect that they should be given the right to partake in their own culture but get offended when someone else does. As an example, I heard that minority groups are offended by Christmas decorations and pressured their towns to remove them. What would happen if we told them to remove their religious holiday decorations? There is a definite double standard that exists in our (USA) overall culture. This also extends to something that also bothers me - the loss of a national language. There are more and more people who can't speak English who live here and who I have to deal with on a daily level. If I am graded on being able to speak a different language in school, why aren't these people graded the same way when it comes to speaking English? I can't graduate college without a foreign language... why can they live in this country when they can't speak the language that this country is founded on? This could tie in with political correctness also - we are forced to sacrifice our way of life for the "good of the stew."

PCness is taken to ridiculous levels here in the UK. I feel for you. I suppose the Brits are overcompensating for years of calling people nignogs, chinks, wogs, micks, krauts, frogs, towelheads and pakis. I agree PCness can be taken to extreme levels and it gets quite annoying. However, in some weird way, it's now even funnier when Jimmy Carr says "cunt" in a live performance. The PC brigade have spawned the anti-PC brigade, which is brilliant. See Boris Johnson and "watermelon smiles".
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you didn't come to help us out for any altruistic reasons in WWII. Anyway, your involvement in Iraq would've gained much more public support if (a) the PR had been spun better - come on, who believed you were actually going in there for anything other than economic reasons and (b) if some WMD had actually been found. If I remember correctly, your Afghanistan campaign was widely supported, whereas in a few short years, the tide turned with your invasion in Iraq. Funny ol' world eh.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:14 pm 

Musick wrote:
Lunar_Strain wrote:

No, North America is NOT a christian nation. The US Constitution is a secular document. It begins, "We the people," and contains no mention of "God" or "Christianity." Its only references to religion are exclusionary, such as, "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust" (Art. VI), and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" (First Amendment). The presidential oath of office, the only oath detailed in the Constitution, does not contain the phrase "so help me God" or any requirement to swear on a bible (Art. II, Sec. 1, Clause 8).

In 1797 America made a treaty with Tripoli, declaring that "the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." This was written under Washington's presidency, and approved by the Senate under John Adams.

It depends on what "supposed" means in this case. USA was certainly not a religious nation at its beginning, and people like Washington and Jefferson were known to be deists, or possibly atheists. But religion gained more power afterward, and its now one of the most, if not the most religious nation in the western world. So, the "supposed" could be interpreted as "Europeans suppose USA to be a religious (though not formally)country."
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:34 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Musick wrote:
Lunar_Strain wrote:

It depends on what "supposed" means in this case. USA was certainly not a religious nation at its beginning, and people like Washington and Jefferson were known to be deists, or possibly atheists. But religion gained more power afterward, and its now one of the most, if not the most religious nation in the western world. So, the "supposed" could be interpreted as "Europeans suppose USA to be a religious (though not formally)country."

Oi, oi. Many of the "founding fathers" were deists, if not atheists or agnostics. Novus ordo seclorum. But after they died, there was little opposition against the Christians. Luckily, us American atheists are making a come back.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:37 am 

incarcerated_demon wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:

I'm pretty sure you didn't come to help us out for any altruistic reasons in WWII. Anyway, your involvement in Iraq would've gained much more public support if (a) the PR had been spun better - come on, who believed you were actually going in there for anything other than economic reasons and (b) if some WMD had actually been found. If I remember correctly, your Afghanistan campaign was widely supported, whereas in a few short years, the tide turned with your invasion in Iraq. Funny ol' world eh.

I think that we should have finished with Afghanistan before even attempting to do anything else in the region. We could have placed more soldiers and more pressure on Al Qaida and we might have been able to find Osama Bin Laden by now.

We did the wrong thing by going into Iraq as quickly as we did. I don't entirely disagree with being there, but the way that the whole war has been carried out has been a great shamble.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:03 am 

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone played the WWII card. :lol:

America seems to have something of a fascination with that war, probably because it was the last clear victory over an unambiguously evil regime. Bringing it up in the context of modern military actions is illogical, though, as most of them consist of stomping all over poor countries and turning them into shelled-out wastelands.

NotUnlikeTheWaves
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:09 am 

I moved to the USA from Belgium 8 years ago. I have lived in Scotland, England, Switzerland, and mostly Belgium. I have to say...I prefer Europe than this country. I mean, every country has its ups and downs...but I found people to be more materialistic here, among many other things. I prefer the Belgian wilderness, where it is very rural compared to the rural places here and there people don't care as much for material possessions, status, or looks. It's less civilized there...in a way I love.

I have many more reasons why I don't like it as much here...I just don't feel up to posting them all. Besides, I should get to bed.

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:16 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
America seems to have something of a fascination with that war, probably because it was the last clear victory over an unambiguously evil regime. Bringing it up in the context of modern military actions is illogical, though, as most of them consist of stomping all over poor countries and turning them into shelled-out wastelands.

That's actually a brilliant way of putting it.

Andar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:56 am 

What's even funnier is they adopted a lot of that evil empire's battle tactics, dress, and that's not even getting into the SS/Marines comparisons.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:00 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

I know all about you Belgians and how much you dislike us (I partly think it's because Belgium's mostly French,

I should stop reading here, because most of Belgium is not French. You know, it's statements like these that make my fellow Belgians have a wrong perception on US citizens. Only about 30% of the population is Walloon (NOT French) and the only thing they have in common with France is that they speak the same language.

This is exactly why people think Americans don't know of anything outside of their own country. Trying to refute silly stereotypes by doing the same thing is sort of ironic. Sort of.

Quote:
And btw, we don't crack jokes about Waffles everytime someone says their Belgian.

Well I'm not sure why you're getting defensive here because I explicitly said I don't agree with the jokes.

Quote:
As for Americans not knowing other languages .. wrong. Many Americans today are either the offspring of immigrants or are immigrants themselves and speak another language besides English in their homes, as well as at school. And it's also a graduation/college requirement over here to have taken two years of a foreign language class in High School. I know that here in Florida, in my county and in neighboring counties, the languages that are offered are French, Spanish, Greek, Latin, German and Dutch.

Uh yes they teach you that in school, but has it ever occured to you that this means exactly shit? About 99% of the Americans I've talked to that claimed to speak another language turned out to not know anything other than "je suis Peter", "bonjour, comment t'appele tu?" or "où sont les toilettes?" ... let alone have a fluent informal conversation in a foreign language (or read a book in that language).

Quote:
I took two years of Spanish, and I've signed up for German as an elective next year. You cannot say I belong to that group of people who 'do not know a second language'. I may not be fluent (YET), but I know enough to make conversation in your country (Assuming you're from the French quarter of Belgium -- I'm sure you may not be, though.).

You took two years of Spanish in school? And you think you know Spanish? That's hilarious ... if you follow this logic, the whole of Belgium would speak perfect Dutch, French, English, German and a good portion Latin and Greek. They don't, believe me. I'm just trying to clarify that even though people learn French for 8 years in school (which is the case for all Dutch-speaking students in Belgium), you still don't "know" the language.

Also, why would you be able to make conversation in Belgium if you know English and (a bit of) Spanish? You do realize these are not official languages here, right?

Earthcubed wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

I don't see why this is that big of a deal.

It's not, I was just saying what the general opinion is in my country (that's what the OP asked for).

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:54 pm 

Andar wrote:

What's even funnier is they adopted a lot of that evil empire's battle tactics, dress, and that's not even getting into the SS/Marines comparisons.

Ok wow please I really want you to expand on this one, Give me some examples of all you are talking about. Especially that Waffen-SS/United States Marines comparison.

And hopefully for both our sake your going to play something a bit wiser then "har har har they both shoot innocent people" because then I will just be sad I wasted this much time even paying attention to you.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:06 pm 

I don't understand how adopting battle tactics that work from an enemy is a bad thing? In fact, its an important aspect to winning wars - being able to utilize whatever tactics you need to reach your goal. If your suggesting that countries shouldn't adopt new and better battle tactics, we would still be lining up like tin cans at a carnival, there would be no USA since the Native Americans would have killed us all, and French generals would still be spreading their supply routes too thin trying to take over Russia.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
I don't understand how adopting battle tactics that work from an enemy is a bad thing? In fact, its an important aspect to winning wars - being able to utilize whatever tactics you need to reach your goal. If your suggesting that countries shouldn't adopt new and better battle tactics, we would still be lining up like tin cans at a carnival, there would be no USA since the Native Americans would have killed us all, and French generals would still be spreading their supply routes too thin trying to take over Russia.

I am going to assume hes going to pull something out like the use of terror tactics, even then until I hear about that Waffen-SS/Marines comparison I am not going to put much stock into that post :lol:

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:26 pm 

The_Count wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:

I am going to assume hes going to pull something out like the use of terror tactics, even then until I hear about that Waffen-SS/Marines comparison I am not going to put much stock into that post :lol:

Hah, I wasn't even thinking about terror tactics... but now that you mention it He may bring out the US firebombing of japan or something also.. its always easy to find exceptions to the rule.

I too want to hear how we are raising an army of super soldiers.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:22 pm 

NotUnlikeTheWaves wrote:
I have to say...I prefer Europe than this country. I mean, every country has its ups and downs...but I found people to be more materialistic here, among many other things. I prefer the Belgian wilderness, where it is very rural compared to the rural places here and there people don't care as much for material possessions, status, or looks. It's less civilized there...in a way I love.

In no way I'm a United States fanboy, and I dislike most of it as much as the next guy, but I'm sure that the entire US isn't only the materialistic and vain side of it, namely what we see exemplified in places like New York, California and Florida and what the mass media tries to force-feed us (I admit, this image may be 90% of the US, but still). I'm sure there are places, specially in the Northern, lesser known and ethnically homogenous areas of the country, that still hold a lot of that "uncivilized", European feel. I mean, when I lived in the US I used to make a lot of trips to the Northeastern side of the country and more than once I saw towns that, while definitively American, still felt not as "polluted" as the rest of the country, scarce as they were.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:31 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Lunar_Strain wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

I know all about you Belgians and how much you dislike us (I partly think it's because Belgium's mostly French,

I should stop reading here, because most of Belgium is not French. You know, it's statements like these that make my fellow Belgians have a wrong perception on US citizens. Only about 30% of the population is Walloon (NOT French) and the only thing they have in common with France is that they speak the same language.

This is exactly why people think Americans don't know of anything outside of their own country. Trying to refute silly stereotypes by doing the same thing is sort of ironic. Sort of.

You took two years of Spanish in school? And you think you know Spanish? That's hilarious ... if you follow this logic, the whole of Belgium would speak perfect Dutch, French, English, German and a good portion Latin and Greek. They don't, believe me. I'm just trying to clarify that even though people learn French for 8 years in school (which is the case for all Dutch-speaking students in Belgium), you still don't "know" the language.

Also, why would you be able to make conversation in Belgium if you know English and (a bit of) Spanish? You do realize these are not official languages here, right?

First off, I'll point out that this is MY knowledge. Pardon me for not knowing alot about Belgium. Never been there, never much cared for it aside from the Belgae peoples that were said to have lived in the area millenia ago. Don't attack Americans as a whole for my shortcomings -- put it on me, asshole.

Secondly, I don't think I ever said my knowledge of Spanish would get me anywhere in your country -- I don't think I even said I COULD get through a conversation with my knowledge in Belgium. Your country does not apply to my statement. I was speaking out of my knowledge for A) French. I know enough to get around, get it in France, your French part of Belgium, or even Switzerland.

B) Two years of Spanish where I live IS hard. These were college level classes due to mine being dually enrolled in both, High School classes and classes at a University. The High School curriculum may be different and even easier, but the classes I've taken were fucking raw; I don't expect German should be any easier, either.

In fact, I read this post in the library just before I left campus, and I'll tell you know, I've looked at our county's Spanish books, and they're certainly not baby steps. And yes, I'm aware that this has nothing to do with one's knwoledge of the said language (Because it IS the person's choice as to whether or not they are going to remember and put to use what they've learned, and gradually BECOME fluent with the language. I may just be one of those few special cases that choose to do just that, especially for the career I want to go into.

Edit: Looks like I'll have to drop German classes and begin taking a class in either Swedish or Norwegian. I'm taking summer classes for my major in Scandinavian Studies, and may enroll in a study abroad program. Woo!

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

Last edited by Lunar_Strain on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:49 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
First off, I'll point out that this is MY knowledge. Pardon me for not knowing alot about Belgium. Never been there, never much cared for it aside from the Belgae peoples that were said to have lived in the area millenia ago. Don't attack Americans as a whole for my shortcomings -- put it on me, asshole.

I know, it's just that you probably shouldn't try to defend something if all you're doing is, well, what you did. :lol:

You took classes. See what I mean? It doesn't apply to concrete situations whatsoever, but I'm glad you realize that. At least you're not the typical idiot who claims to know Spanish after taking two years of classes.

Oh and the Belgae were bad-ass!

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Lunar_Strain wrote:

I know, it's just that you probably shouldn't try to defend something if all you're doing is, well, what you did. :lol:

You took classes. See what I mean? It doesn't apply to concrete situations whatsoever, but I'm glad you realize that. At least you're not the typical idiot who claims to know Spanish after taking two years of classes.

Oh and the Belgae were bad-ass!

The reson for my 'defense' was because you outrighted attacked Americans altogether when it was me who made the mistake. I may be hypocritical for my openly stated disagreements and disappointments with my government at the moment, but I still am proud to be an American. I'm not the stereotypical 'Yankee' with red, white and blue everywhere, and I certainly don't wave flags or go to parades and consider myself 'patriotic'. The most 'patriotic' thing I've ever done, I think, was lay this kid out for cursing at my mother (And then my brother laid HIS brother out when I got my ass kicked :lol:).

I don't say stupid shit like "God Bless America", "This Is God's Country" (I'm an atheist, k?), "Freedom." Our Independence Day? July 4th? I don't celebrate it the way most people look at it as, especially outside countries. Independence Day, for me and alot of other people across the country, is a free ticket to get Drunk, since everyone else is and no one gives a shit.

Alot of the American stereotypes we get portrayed as are bullshit. No one does any of them. Unless you go to Tennesse, where every son of a farmer thinks he's the next Davy Crockett (Also, Kentucky and Tennesse are the most redneck states you'll ever go to. Friend of mine from Lexington told me that they are so hick, guys fucked their girlfriends on tractors -- I shit you not.)

Back on Spanish, again man, I never said I was fluent. I said I knew enough to get around.

And yes, the Belgae WERE fucking badass.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm 

Lunar_Strain wrote:
Friend of mine from Lexington told me that they are so hick, guys fucked their girlfriends on tractors -- I shit you not.)

What is wrong with having sex on a tractor? Yeah, owning a tractor makes you hick but having sex on one? Its basically like, someone who owns their own airplane having sex on it. If I had the chance to have sex on a tractor I wouldn't hesitate because I would be worried about it being a "hick" thing to do.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:48 pm 

Musick wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
Musick wrote:

Get out.

Youre not contributing anything with your ignorance. Please, lets work to dispel the myths about North America, not propagate them.

And what are you contributing? Trying to act like your better than the rest of Americans. America already gets shit for showing that kind of mentality to other nations and you just do it to the rest of your own. Your the worst of the worst it would seem.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:53 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
Musick wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
Musick wrote:

Get out.

And what are you contributing? Trying to act like your better than the rest of Americans. America already gets shit for showing that kind of mentality to other nations and you just do it to the rest of your own. Your the worst of the worst it would seem.

Hey, if it makes people feel better to insult others that have different views then have at it. That, and read my sig.

Andar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 pm 

The_Count wrote:
Andar wrote:

Ok wow please I really want you to expand on this one, Give me some examples of all you are talking about. Especially that Waffen-SS/United States Marines comparison.

And hopefully for both our sake your going to play something a bit wiser then "har har har they both shoot innocent people" because then I will just be sad I wasted this much time even paying attention to you.

The psychological and social reprogramming that Marines go through. The Marine Scout Snipers have used the SS bolts as markings. And I know this is anecdotal but according to friends and relatives of mine who are either active or inactive in various branches they have stated they didn't like dealing with Marines mostly because of their general attitude that stank of "ubermensch" mentality.

And for fucks sake look at this new marine ad

*Do not stretch the screen without very good reason.*

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:43 pm 

Gee willikers lets just go and see any military with harsh training standards are really Nazis in disguise. I have many Marine friends and yes they are a bit cocky but honestly what do you expect? They are Marines, they have been built up to see them selfs as the few and the proud. Sure they know how to fight wars but honestly if you are going to blame strict military training for us creating a Neo-Waffen SS then there are many many other countries you should look at that has even harsher training.

I am assuming your problem with that picture is the eagle? Yes clearly all countries who use an eagle are fascist as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle,_Globe,_and_Anchor

That symbol was around way before the Nazis were buddy.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Andar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm 

I know what the eagle and the anchor is. But the way it is stylized in that new ad is really creepy.

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 pm 

Musick wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
Musick wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
Musick wrote:

Get out.

Hey, if it makes people feel better to insult others that have different views then have at it. That, and read my sig.

I might be interrupting the flow of things, but there's clearly something you don't understand. There is no human collective, as there is no hive mind or global central power through which all initiative flows. Humanity is not an ant colony or a bee hive. The closest thing to a collective, of course, is the societal generalization, which still is (thankfully) no uniform or homogenous mass, but a congregate; a heterogenous combination of individuals indentified by commonalities.

Giftschlange_Krieg
Gomer Pyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 pm 

NotUnlikeTheWaves wrote:
I moved to the USA from Belgium 8 years ago. I have lived in Scotland, England, Switzerland, and mostly Belgium. I have to say...I prefer Europe than this country. I mean, every country has its ups and downs...but I found people to be more materialistic here, among many other things. I prefer the Belgian wilderness, where it is very rural compared to the rural places here and there people don't care as much for material possessions, status, or looks. It's less civilized there...in a way I love.

I have many more reasons why I don't like it as much here...I just don't feel up to posting them all. Besides, I should get to bed.

Have you lived on the west coast? The east coast sucks in all facets of existence. Washington is the best state in the union.

Giftschlange_Krieg
Gomer Pyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:44 pm 

Andar wrote:
And I know this is anecdotal but according to friends and relatives of mine who are either active or inactive in various branches they have stated they didn't like dealing with Marines mostly because of their general attitude that stank of "ubermensch" mentality.

We ARE Ubermenschen. ;)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:03 pm 

Giftschlange_Krieg wrote:
Washington is the best state in the union.

I thought you told me you hated Washington?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:08 am 

The West Coast is fine if you stay out of LA and San Francisco. Oregon is a really neat place nowadays. It's like Colorado, Montana, and the small coastal towns of California wrapped up in one state. Mountains, deserts, volcanoes, big cities (well, one or two), California-style beaches and rocky New England-style beaches. Mind you I've only been there once, but the people were nicer than California, and not anywhere near as stuck-up.

And yeah, to those of you making one overarching judgement of the whole country based on your experiences in one or two cities in one region of the land, the U.S. is a big country compared to most other Western countries. Accents can change over the coarse of a two-hour drive, and with them the people---and the country is over a thousand miles wide. I feel extraordinarily sorry for anyone making a judgement call based on New York City, practically all the Americans I've talked to who've been there agreed the people were rude. Of course, most of them were from the Chicago area, and we don't like New York so much. ;)

Svartalf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 am 

greysnow wrote:
In German cliché, the archetypal American drives his SUV through congested highways in the morning, shooting at competing SUVs with the gun he has on him at all times. When he has arrived at work he will immediately be fired for being late just once. Distraught, he drives ten yards to the nearest hamburger restaurant to stuff his already comically obese frame with burgers the size of dinner plates and liters of cola. Coming home, he sits down in front of the TV (no need to switch it on, it has been running all day) to consume a TV dinner and a six-pack and watch the baseball world series or whatever it's called (we don't care). On Sunday, he will attend service in a church where it is preached that the world was created in 4,004 BC and that all fossils were put in the ground to fool the unbelievers; afterwards, he will perhaps go to a meeting of the NRA. Asked about the capitals of three South American countries, he will say: "Buenos Aires, Rio, Portugal". He saves money all his life to let his kids go to college where they will learn stuff that is taught at basic school level in Germany. Now that he is unemployed he will end on the street in a year and look for food in dumpsters if he doesn't get killed by a sadistic corrupt policeman first. If he manages to get on his feet again and registers to vote, he will vote for the candidate with the cleanest record in terms of sexual morality and the best record for prisoners executed during his term as governor, no matter what else is at stake. If his country should go to war, he will happily wave a little paper flag and cheer the troops from the sidewalk no matter why they're fighting - after all, he's used to that through annual attendance of ridiculous parades for something or other. He believes in UFOs and Elvis' eventual return in one.

Okay, I exaggerate, but just a little. That is how many Germans think about the US, at least when you don't confront them about it.

Personally, I share the contempt for the current administration; for its unsocial policy of giving to the rich and letting the poor fend for themselves; for its bible-bashing and its use of torture; for its imperialist war mongering veiled by thin excuses; for its Orwellian hunger for the personal data of its citizens; for its environmental irresponsibility.

Most American people I have met, online or otherwise, were polite, intelligent, often very cultured people, and the only explanation I have for the German cliché ridiculed above is sheer ignorance and an unwarranted European feeling of cultural superiority.

Still, advocation of the death penalty and a high degree of racism is something that I find sours my appreciation of America a bit. On the other hand, the culture of debate is developed further than in Germany - funny how that doesn't transfer to TV debates in national elections.

Oh, and I really love cheeseburgers and cola. :)

I love you. ;)

Greysnow--you've been my very favorite poster for a long time, and even as a confirmed Germanophile, I must say that if the average German thinks as you say, it's out of total ignorance of what educated Americans have to deal with every day. You think that stereotype is annoying? Let me tell you about how living with the people who produce it feels: YOU'RE RIGHT; every single extreme you've mentioned is correct, and it pisses the educated American off as much as it pisses off the people whose stereotypes about us you have mocked.

However, as for our racism; I agree--I lie awake nights thinking about the fact that I am moving to the South of our country with a wife who is from N. India. I have begun taking pistol classes, because I feel the same as you. Your country is the best example I know of what unchecked racism can produce. I wish I were talking about the 1940s, but I'm not. I would certainly feel more comfortable in Berlin than in Baton Rouge, but I'd pick Jena, Louisiana any day over Jena, Deutschland.

The death penalty is ridiculous, unless it's administered on the spot in self defense, in which case I think it's totally reasonable. Once the dipshit's in custody, it's up to the state to peacefully neutralize them.

But you're right about the current administration; if I didn't KNOW he'd used deceitful and criminal means to win, BOTH times, I'd be deeply humiliated about what the fact that Dubya had won twice said about my people.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next