Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Svartalf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 pm 

Osmium wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
I quite agree with your assessment of his post with the following caveats:

I'm not familiar with the incident mentioned (and it was probably a poorly worded reference to the indiscriminate "collateral damage" carnage that often typifies Israeli airstrikes into Palestinian territory), but if you think there aren't Jewish extremists, I think your own understanding of world religions might be one sided.

I was mostly pointing out that Jews bombing Israelis makes little sense, and most certainly is not a widespread phenomenon. It was not my intent to moralize, merely deride for lack of understanding.

Quote:
The Israeli state practices such a widespread and endemic system of bigotry against non-Jews both in its own territory and the territories it occupies that this might well be true. The first mass-scale terrorist bombing of the modern era was perpetrated by the Irgun at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem in 1946; almost one hundred people died. The head of the Irgun was Menachem Begin.

I'm sure as hell not saying that they're any worse than Hamas or Hezbollah, but I'm not so sure they're a whole lot better, either. If you read my previous posts you'll see I'm pretty much equal in my condemnation of extremism and ignorance (and the latter includes the self-imposed form of ignorance that calls itself "political correctness") no matter what religion or culture it cynically exploits.

I'm fully aware that Israel is not angelic. I also understand that Hamas and similar groups have no other methods of fighting an asymmetrical conflict than through means that are indiscriminate, and that Israeli casualties are much lower than Palestinian ones. Israel's use of cluster munitions (hundreds of thousands of which remain unexploded) during the war with Hizbollah, for example, is utterly reprehensible.

Quote:
Also, the PKK is a nationalist/separatist movement (named the Kurdish Worker's Party), not a religious one, but please don't let facts stand in the way of idealism.

I am aware. I merely stuck them in the list as a generic terrorist entity. I also don't see exactly where I displayed idealism. I don't view Islam as a monolithic block of terrorists waiting to destroy the West though I am wary of the influence of radical Islam.

You're right. I guess what I wrote comes across more ad hominem than I meant it. I don't think the PKK have anything do to with Islamist terrorism, so it just seemed bizarre lumping them in with Hizballah and AQ. You're clearly a pretty thoughtful person; these discussions about politics definitely get me a little fired up ...

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:13 am 

caspian wrote:
Sir_General_Flashman wrote:
There were those christians that bombed abortion clinics in the 90's.

You're an idiot. That's nowhere near on the same level as 9/11, the bali bombings, the many suicide bombings in Iraq etc.

The point is that they were still making bombs that they used on innocents. If you've seen Jesus camp then you'll see that many Christian extremists are willing to kill, it's that the majority of countries that christians are in have a strong government in charge to keep them in check.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm 

Nah, that's just tough talk. They aren't really willing to kill.

Strange Death Metal

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:54 pm 

Yeah I did not take the Jesus Camp stuff to seriously, looked like a lot of talk and marching around with duct tape on their mouths like a bunch of hippies.

On a side note I would love to see that fat bitch who was leading them get in camo fatigues and run into combat with an assault rifle.

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:11 pm 

Yes, I can see that fat bitch attacking innocent muslim children with an ak

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 am 

You should really just stop.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 am 

Sir_General_Flashman wrote:
Yes, I can see that fat bitch attacking innocent muslim children with an ak

I was actually just messing around, The most I could see her do is maybe take one back to her house for a midnight snack while she touches her self to old Billy Graham recordings.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4