Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:42 am 

Since the last response in the old thread was a year ago, I decided to make a new one.

What are some of your favorite conspiracy theories? Please just no political conspiracy theories. There is already a current political thread.

One of my favorites is the Paul is dead. I don't believe it personally, but I find it so interesting the amount of information people have found to support the idea that he died.

Here is the basics from Wikipedia

Quote:
"Paul is dead" is an urban legend and conspiracy theory alleging that English musician Paul McCartney of the Beatles died on 9 November 1966 and was secretly replaced by a look-alike. The rumour began circulating around 1967, but grew in popularity after being reported on American college campuses in late 1969. Proponents based the theory on perceived clues found in Beatles songs and album covers. Clue-hunting proved infectious, and within a few weeks had become an international phenomenon.

According to the theory, McCartney died in a car crash and to spare the public from grief, the surviving Beatles replaced him with the winner of a McCartney look-alike contest, sometimes identified as "William Campbell" or "Billy Shears". Afterwards, the band left messages in their music and album artwork to communicate the truth to their fans. These include the 1968 song "Glass Onion", in which Lennon sings "here's another clue for you all / the walrus was Paul", and the cover photo of their album Abbey Road, in which McCartney is shown barefoot and walking out of step with his bandmates.

Rumours declined after an interview with McCartney, who had been secluded with his family in Scotland, was published in Life magazine in November 1969. During the 1970s, the phenomenon was the subject of analysis in the fields of sociology, psychology and communications. McCartney parodied the hoax with the title and cover art of his 1993 live album, Paul Is Live. In 2009, Time magazine included "Paul is dead" in its feature on ten of "the world's most enduring conspiracy theories".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 am 

As a lifelong wrestling fan, I've always LOVED the idea that Vince McMahon has intentionally sabotaged two of his competitors using the same person, Vince Russo.

A quick bit of backstory: Russo was the head writer for the WWF from mid 1997 until late 1999, and it was his ideas (of copying Paul Heyman's ECW) that helped the WWF go from the brink of bankruptcy to becoming a billion dollar company. He was the one who wanted to push Steve Austin, who wanted DX front and center, who was all-in on the Rock going from a blue chipper to a fast-talking narcissist, etc. His ideas for wrestling programming coild be boiled down to "Jerry Springer but with a wrestling ring." They worked, for a time, but it was mostly hinging on the incredible talent that he was pushing forward (Austin, Rock, Foley) and less on the "throw everything at the wall" mentality.

The theory goes that, seeing how WCW was starting to splinter as the nWo storyline was running on fumes (and a plethora of talent was beginning to talk with the WWF), McMahon released Russo so that he could write for WCW, and just ruin everything on their shows to the point where nobody would watch. Unstoppable beast Goldberg? He's losing to people every few weeks. The high-flying, super athletic cruiserweight division? Now they're losing to a fat guy doing a bad Jim Ross impression. Legendary wrestler (and former WWF World champion) Bret Hart? He's jumping between hero and villain every other week. Mainstays like Sting and DDP and Ric Flair, who the fans adored? Make them look like complete buffoons and get rid of what worked.

From April to September of 2000, WCW saw its TV ratings, PPV buys, and love attendance plummet. Time Warner, who owned the company, sold its assets to McMahon in March 2001 for a rumored $6 million (well under what the company was making in profit just a few years earlier).

Come 2002, there's a new challenger in Total Nonstop Action Wrestling, and McMahon tells Russo to get in there (as he was friends with company founder Jeff Jarrett) and go crazy. He's involved with the company off/on for the next 9 years, to the point where SpikeTV (where TNA was broadcasted) mandated to the company president Dixie Carter that his involvement would not be tolerated, and Dixie hires him under the table anyway. This backfires, TNA is removed from SpikeTV, and the company is in virtual freefall for most of the 2010s until Anthem Sports & Entertainment purchases it (rebranding it as Impact Wrestling).

While this is some serious stupidity, if you follow the business, the rumor has enough meat to it that it still persists to this day. It helps that McMahon has a history of underhanded attacks at his competition, buying up airtime from his rivals back in the 80s and even as recently as renting venues away from current rival AEW (not to mention counter programming his shows against theirs), but the truth of the matter is that Russo had one good idea 20something years ago and continued to weasel his way into the good graces of corporate executives that didn't know any better for years after the fact.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 pm 

Finland doesn't exist.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comm ... text=10000

Quote:
My parents never believed in Finland, I grew up to never believe in Finland until I researched it further.

It's a pretty heated topic in my family.

Quote:
Oh God here goes.

Well firstly they say that the actual 'place of Finland' is just Eastern Sweden. Helsinki is in Eastern Sweden and when people fly there it's not like they would notice.

World maps are altered as it's a U.N conspiracy to keep people believing in Finland. And the idea that an entire country is made up seems so bizarre that nobody would ever believe it, making it easy to do.

Finland's main company, Nokia, is apparently owned by the Japanese and they're a main player in this.

Now as for 'why' people would want to invent Finland as a country that's a bit more in depth and there's a few reasons as to why Sweden and Russia go along with it but it's mostly to do with Japanese fishing rights.

You see the Japanese love their sushi but tight fishing regulations and public outcry mean they can't fish as much as they want. So after the Cold War they agreed with Russia to create a 'landmass' called Finland where they could fish. After all, if people thought there was a country there nobody would expect the Japanese to be harpooning whales would they?

The fish is then transported through Russia where a small percentage of the food is given to the population, (they were of course starving at the time of Finland being invented), and then is shipped to Japan under the disguise of 'Nokia' products. Japan is apparently one of the worlds largest importers of Nokia products despite the fact that 'nobody there owns a Nokia phone' apparently.

The crux of all this however, and my favourite part, is the homage that the Japanese gave to this entire conspiracy theory.

What do fish have? Fins. Therefore they named their imaginary country Finland.

There are loads more that they go on about but I can't remember it all at the moment.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Finland doesn't exist.

Quote:
My parents never believed in Finland, I grew up to never believe in Finland until I researched it further.

Quote:
Oh God here goes.

Well firstly they say that the actual 'place of Finland' is just Eastern Sweden. Helsinki is in Eastern Sweden and when people fly there it's not like they would notice.

World maps are altered as it's a U.N conspiracy to keep people believing in Finland. And the idea that an entire country is made up seems so bizarre that nobody would ever believe it, making it easy to do.

Finland's main company, Nokia, is apparently owned by the Japanese and they're a main player in this.

Now as for 'why' people would want to invent Finland as a country that's a bit more in depth and there's a few reasons as to why Sweden and Russia go along with it but it's mostly to do with Japanese fishing rights.

You see the Japanese love their sushi but tight fishing regulations and public outcry mean they can't fish as much as they want. So after the Cold War they agreed with Russia to create a 'landmass' called Finland where they could fish. After all, if people thought there was a country there nobody would expect the Japanese to be harpooning whales would they?

The fish is then transported through Russia where a small percentage of the food is given to the population, (they were of course starving at the time of Finland being invented), and then is shipped to Japan under the disguise of 'Nokia' products. Japan is apparently one of the worlds largest importers of Nokia products despite the fact that 'nobody there owns a Nokia phone' apparently.

The crux of all this however, and my favourite part, is the homage that the Japanese gave to this entire conspiracy theory.

There are loads more that they go on about but I can't remember it all at the moment.

Guessing that was made up for that post. Finland only has a coast line to the baltic so it doesn't even make sense from the fishing standpoint. It would make more sense to be Norway, that has a huge coastline, and exports most of their fish to Russia and Japan.

Favourite one is the Andrew W.K. one, other that that I don't follow any conspiracies.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:33 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Finland doesn't exist.

Quote:

Quote:
Oh God here goes.

Hmm, I've always thought Finnish and Japanese sound oddly similar when being sung, too....

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:56 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
As a lifelong wrestling fan, I've always LOVED the idea that Vince McMahon has intentionally sabotaged two of his competitors using the same person, Vince Russo.

A quick bit of backstory: Russo was the head writer for the WWF from mid 1997 until late 1999, and it was his ideas (of copying Paul Heyman's ECW) that helped the WWF go from the brink of bankruptcy to becoming a billion dollar company. He was the one who wanted to push Steve Austin, who wanted DX front and center, who was all-in on the Rock going from a blue chipper to a fast-talking narcissist, etc. His ideas for wrestling programming coild be boiled down to "Jerry Springer but with a wrestling ring." They worked, for a time, but it was mostly hinging on the incredible talent that he was pushing forward (Austin, Rock, Foley) and less on the "throw everything at the wall" mentality.

The theory goes that, seeing how WCW was starting to splinter as the nWo storyline was running on fumes (and a plethora of talent was beginning to talk with the WWF), McMahon released Russo so that he could write for WCW, and just ruin everything on their shows to the point where nobody would watch. Unstoppable beast Goldberg? He's losing to people every few weeks. The high-flying, super athletic cruiserweight division? Now they're losing to a fat guy doing a bad Jim Ross impression. Legendary wrestler (and former WWF World champion) Bret Hart? He's jumping between hero and villain every other week. Mainstays like Sting and DDP and Ric Flair, who the fans adored? Make them look like complete buffoons and get rid of what worked.

From April to September of 2000, WCW saw its TV ratings, PPV buys, and love attendance plummet. Time Warner, who owned the company, sold its assets to McMahon in March 2001 for a rumored $6 million (well under what the company was making in profit just a few years earlier).

Come 2002, there's a new challenger in Total Nonstop Action Wrestling, and McMahon tells Russo to get in there (as he was friends with company founder Jeff Jarrett) and go crazy. He's involved with the company off/on for the next 9 years, to the point where SpikeTV (where TNA was broadcasted) mandated to the company president Dixie Carter that his involvement would not be tolerated, and Dixie hires him under the table anyway. This backfires, TNA is removed from SpikeTV, and the company is in virtual freefall for most of the 2010s until Anthem Sports & Entertainment purchases it (rebranding it as Impact Wrestling).

While this is some serious stupidity, if you follow the business, the rumor has enough meat to it that it still persists to this day. It helps that McMahon has a history of underhanded attacks at his competition, buying up airtime from his rivals back in the 80s and even as recently as renting venues away from current rival AEW (not to mention counter programming his shows against theirs), but the truth of the matter is that Russo had one good idea 20something years ago and continued to weasel his way into the good graces of corporate executives that didn't know any better for years after the fact.

The Dixie Carter Q and A from years ago is pretty hilarious when Jim Cornette asked why she employees him. She pretty much says that he had nothing to do with the stuff when people shouted "Fire Russo", when everyone else has contradicted her. She looked pretty dumb.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:33 pm 

In terms of wrestling ones, one of my favorites in recent memory would be the theory that WWE pushed Daniel Bryan into retirement in 2016 partially so that he would be out of the way of Roman Reigns as they attempted to make him the face of the promotion. Much like the theory that Russo was planted into WCW by Vince to take them down, this too is just plausible enough to possibly be real despite it obviously not being real, as Bryan's return from a neck injury in late 2014 and the subsequent fiasco that was the 2015 Royal Rumble (Bryan entered the Rumble super early and was eliminated only 10 minutes after entering, thus leading to the fans in attendance completely and utterly shitting on the rest of the match to the point that they booed The Rock when he came out to help Roman win the match at the end) had already kickstarted the "fuck Roman Reigns" train that derailed WWE's intentions for him to be THE guy over the next three years.

As for other conspiracy theories, my two favorite ones ever are "Trees and forests don't exist" (Flat Earthers say that what we see as trees now are just the remnants of "real" trees from ancient times, which were 20 miles tall and covered the entire planet before being destroyed in an ecological disaster several millennia ago), and one that claims that whenever humans create a fictional story, God creates a parallel universe where those fictional characters live as sentient beings. I WISH I could find the link for the latter, but I read it years ago and haven't been able to find it since.

Also, Avril Lavigne and Steve from Blue's Clues both died and were secretly replaced by clones.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 pm 

Subrick wrote:
one that claims that whenever humans create a fictional story, God creates a parallel universe where those fictional characters live as sentient beings.

Kinda reminds me of Robert Heinlein's book The Number of the Beast.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 am 

Subrick wrote:
As for other conspiracy theories, my two favorite ones ever are "Trees and forests don't exist" (Flat Earthers say that what we see as trees now are just the remnants of "real" trees from ancient times, which were 20 miles tall and covered the entire planet before being destroyed in an ecological disaster several millennia ago).

Oh wtf.

I know I haven't "done the research", but where the hell is this coming from?

What does the size of trees "now" disprove about a flat earth?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Sebastian14
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:55 pm 

My favorite conspiracy theory of all time, has to be THE TIMECUBE. A crotchety old crank named Gene Ray made a lengthy and rambling webpage (not a site, a page) back in the day where he tried to explain that there are "four simultaneous days taking place on the Earth at any point in time" and as a result, "time is actually a cube". He was very angry at what he called "the educated-stupid" (people who were brainwashed by universities into not accepting his theory) and he ran I think it was a $100k challenge to anyone who could definitely disprove his theory that "time was a cube".

My fellow schizophrenic spent an entire day reading the long and rambling TIMECUBE webpage in it's entirety with me and we got a lot of lulz out of it.

My second favorite "conspiracy theory" (conspiracy) is the assassination of JFK. We all know pretty damn well that the CIA did that shit and covered it up, because it was easier to get away with something like that in 1963 when there was no internet, no cell phones, no devices capable of recording video, and the entire governmental structure could have been in on it along with the media. The reason I believe that the CIA did it is because of the quote from shitbag J. Edgar Hoover that "The public must believe that Oswald acted alone". That right there lets me know that pretty much everyone in the entire government was in on it.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm 

The Jews! The Jews!
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:44 pm 

I'm still waiting for my invitation to an Elizabeth Bathory style virgin bloodbath, courtesy of Hillary and Obama, at a local pizza joint.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:10 am 

Sebastian14 wrote:
My favorite conspiracy theory of all time, has to be THE TIMECUBE. A crotchety old crank named Gene Ray made a lengthy and rambling webpage (not a site, a page) back in the day where he tried to explain that there are "four simultaneous days taking place on the Earth at any point in time" and as a result, "time is actually a cube". He was very angry at what he called "the educated-stupid" (people who were brainwashed by universities into not accepting his theory) and he ran I think it was a $100k challenge to anyone who could definitely disprove his theory that "time was a cube".

My fellow schizophrenic spent an entire day reading the long and rambling TIMECUBE webpage in it's entirety with me and we got a lot of lulz out of it.

Holy Crap, I remember that site. I can't believe anyone read that entire site. The ramblings went on and on. I mean really on and on. I read the first few paragraphs and I stopped. What a chaotic mess.

Another favorite of mine is Flat Earthers. I had read in Scientific American, that something like only 65 percentage of Millennials believe the Earth is round. I saw it scientifically explained in simplistic terms in my childhood by Carl Sagan. I was in the US Navy. To top it off I was in Navigation. I saw all of the charts and have been around the world a few times. It really amazes me that someone with even minor intelligence would believe the Earth is flat. At first you would think, this is a joke. This person is just fucking around. They aren't. Its really entertaining to hear or read someone's explanation of why they believe the Earth is flat.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:46 am 

"Only 65% of millennials"?

That can't be right.

I was born in '81 which makes me a millennial and I can't remember ever meeting someone that actually believed in a flat earth until a couple years ago.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:10 am 

Think of it this way.

If the Earth was indeed flat how come apples and oranges aren't?

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:35 am 

Subrick wrote:
one that claims that whenever humans create a fictional story, God creates a parallel universe where those fictional characters live as sentient beings.

Also, Avril Lavigne and Steve from Blue's Clues both died and were secretly replaced by clones.

Imagine being a sentient being in a Stephen King novel.

Also, Steve from Blue's Clues HAS been replaced, it's now a dude named Josh. I'm pretty sure it's not a clone.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:19 pm 

Sebastian14 wrote:
My second favorite "conspiracy theory" (conspiracy) is the assassination of JFK. We all know pretty damn well that the CIA did that shit and covered it up, because it was easier to get away with something like that in 1963 when there was no internet, no cell phones, no devices capable of recording video, and the entire governmental structure could have been in on it along with the media. The reason I believe that the CIA did it is because of the quote from shitbag J. Edgar Hoover that "The public must believe that Oswald acted alone". That right there lets me know that pretty much everyone in the entire government was in on it.

So a shitty lawman makes one comment and you're willing to ignore ballistics evidence? Last Podcast on the Left did a lengthy series on on Kennedy assassination, and they came to a great conclusion: Oswald did it, but the shot to JFK's head came was an accidental discharge from one of the several severely hungover Secret Service agents protecting the motorcade. Then, to make a point to the various counter culture groups gaining steam (mostly the civil rights movement, but also various socialist/communist groups), the CIA allowed the conspiracy theories to rise to prominence during the Reagan 80s as a means of PR control and maintaining interest in the Vietnam War.

A lot of their take holds water, too. Oswald's sniper training, the modifications to the car that Kennedy was in, and the fact that Oswald had made numerous threats against Texas Governor John Connally (who was also in the very car as JFK, and is believed to have been Oswald's intended target).

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:35 pm 

693 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Finland doesn't exist.

Quote:

Quote:
Oh God here goes.

Guessing that was made up for that post. Finland only has a coast line to the baltic so it doesn't even make sense from the fishing standpoint. It would make more sense to be Norway, that has a huge coastline, and exports most of their fish to Russia and Japan.

Favourite one is the Andrew W.K. one, other that that I don't follow any conspiracies.

It's not even the craziest theory in this post. I firmly believe there are people out there who don't believe in Finland. We have volcano deniers FFS...

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:21 am 

Stanley Kubrick was asked to produce the fake moonlanding footage, and in order to create as realistic footage as possible, being the non-compromising artist that he was, he filmed it on the Moon.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:33 am 

My favorite: The Black Knight. In the 1960s the US discovered a mysterious satellite in orbit and asked the Russians about it. Russia said "We thought it was yours." No other nation was capable of putting a satellite in orbit at that time and both the US and Russia denied ownership. Far as I know it's still there.

This is more of a sci fi trope but I love it. There is a twin Earth on the opposite side of the Sun in the exact same orbit so we can never see it. We only learned of its existence due to satellite launches that used the Sun's gravity to slingshot them deep into space.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:34 am 

traxan wrote:
My favorite: The Black Knight. In the 1960s the US discovered a mysterious satellite in orbit and asked the Russians about it. Russia said "We thought it was yours." No other nation was capable of putting a satellite in orbit at that time and both the US and Russia denied ownership. Far as I know it's still there.

The Black Knight story is amazing. Some really interesting analyzations of it, with people even pointing out "windows." I think its really funny NASA, has come out and said its a thermal blanket.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:14 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Stanley Kubrick was asked to produce the fake moonlanding footage, and in order to create as realistic footage as possible, being the non-compromising artist that he was, he filmed it on the Moon.

Look where you claim you're from! How are we supposed to believe a word you say?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:30 am 

traxan wrote:

This is more of a sci fi trope but I love it. There is a twin Earth on the opposite side of the Sun in the exact same orbit so we can never see it. We only learned of its existence due to satellite launches that used the Sun's gravity to slingshot them deep into space.

Whoa, I'm really liking all of this.

The twin Earth on the opposite side of the sun is a real thing?

We've located the exact spot where our hated doppelgangers live?

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:13 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Look where you claim you're from! How are we supposed to believe a word you say?

It's a joke, actually I'm from Bulgaria.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:37 pm 

Did anyone ever watch any of the in depth analysis of the Shining, by Collative Learning on Youtube? He has quite a few videos and according to him there are a lot of hidden meanings in the Shining. It follows along the lines of this thread. Danny is holding a teddy bear, there is a guy in a bear suit. They are connected. Jack is reading Playgirl in the beginning. The main story in the issue is Fathers who abuse their children. He does a much better job, than I am doing here. Below is just one of his videos, but he has many on the topic.

https://youtu.be/RyqQHhPedc8

ThrashSupremacist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 am 

My all-time favorite conspiracy theory is the theory that Jews faked the entire holocaust, the whole thing. It's so obviously false but damn is it funny seeing the mental gymnastics and bullcrap "reasons" holocaust deniers come up to prove it.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:32 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
It's not even the craziest theory in this post. I firmly believe there are people out there who don't believe in Finland. We have volcano deniers FFS...

Why? It falls apart in every way before it even starts. Of course there are crazier ones, but it's not even believable to the most feeble mind on the planet when there is nothing remotely believable about it in the first place. Makes more sense that volcanoes are fake, atleast it's possible to fabricate some wacky "proof".

CorpseHammer999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:09 am 

I'm pretty sure that Call of Duty: Warzone, is training a highly sophisticated combat A. I. Think about it. It processes every players game. Analyzing the battlefield tactics, calculates the best weapons, scans the diverse environments. Learns. Grows. Kills. It's also free.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:29 am 

Love this shit!

My fav is 'the moon landing was fake'. I have some other ones too but that is by far the best. I've had people get so mad whilst talking about that before.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:40 am 

The Flat Earth conspiracy never fails to grow wackier as the years go on. I've been enjoying watching SciManDan's YouTube videos about that lately.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:34 pm 

I never met anyone growing up that believed the Earth was flat.

I don't know if it's because it was such a radical idea and you would get mocked mercilessly for saying it (especially in grade school), or if more people believe it now and people don't feel as insecure for saying they believe in it. It's probably a little of both.

Either way, I've met two actual living, breathing people in the last 3 years that believe the earth is flat.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:21 pm 

Subrick wrote:
...whenever humans create a fictional story, God creates a parallel universe where those fictional characters live as sentient beings. I WISH I could find the link for the latter, but I read it years ago and haven't been able to find it since.

Holy shit.

I don't have any favorite conspiracy theories per se, but I'm dimly aware of some outlandish (?) metaphysical hypotheses that sound too spooky to investigate further (on the off chance that they might be more plausible than I tend to think).

Eternal recurrence is one. I'm not aware of too many people who take (or have taken) it seriously, other than Nietzsche, and maybe it figures into some non-Western religions/mythologies I can't quite remember. Here's Nietzsche laying it out:

Nietzsche, in The Gay Science, wrote:
What if some day or night a demon were to steal into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it you will have to live once again and innumerable times again; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unspeakably small or great in your life must return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned over again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!' Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god, and never have I heard anything more divine.'

Another one, from philosopher David Lewis, is called modal realism. (It seems to have a sort of counterpart in quantum theory called, I think, the Everett or "many worlds" interpretation.) I haven't actually read Lewis, let alone whatever cousins there might be in quantum theory, but I think the upshot is: There are no unactualized possibles, but every possible state of affairs is actual - if not in the world we inhabit, then in some other possible (but no less actual) world, some other system of spatiotemporally extended matter which is every bit as concrete and tangible as our universe, but causally isolated from it. And "possible" (on one interpretation) simply means "imaginable" or "non-self-contradictory" - as in, indeed, fictional stories.

Just about every time I have an intrusive thought, it occurs to me (both to my annoyance and to my horror) that there might well be another world in which "I myself" - or that world's otherwise-exact duplicate of me - am undertaking the very action that's envisioned just then. Like, if I happen to be feeling weirdly anxious at a party or church service or something and think to myself, "What if I simply threw off all my clothes on a whim and ran around screaming obscenities?", then I'll tend to follow it up with, "For all I know, that's exactly what I'm doing in some parallel reality." (Because my brain apparently likes to torment me for fun.)

Subrick wrote:

This just reminds me of a certain actual psychiatric disorder - again, terrifying:

Wikipedia wrote:
Capgras delusion or Capgras syndrome is a psychiatric disorder in which a person holds a delusion that a friend, spouse, parent, another close family member, or pet has been replaced by an identical impostor. It is named after Joseph Capgras (1873–1950), the French psychiatrist who first described the disorder.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:25 pm 

For me, it's hard to top the Phantom History Theory. States that a large portion of the Dark Ages (spec. the 7th-9th centuries), never happened. About 300 years of history were made up just so the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III and Pope Sylvester II would have their reigns coincide with the religiously-significant date of AD 1000. Therefore we are really living in 1726.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:36 pm 

Flay earth is fucking hilarious and I love it. It provides endless content cause no matter what you refute, they'll just move the goalposts and make some new stuff up.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:12 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
For me, it's hard to top the Phantom History Theory. States that a large portion of the Dark Ages (spec. the 7th-9th centuries), never happened. About 300 years of history were made up just so the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III and Pope Sylvester II would have their reigns coincide with the religiously-significant date of AD 1000. Therefore we are really living in 1726.

Wow, that just blew my mind haha! Going to go dig around youtube for some more of this content :-D

duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:19 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Flay earth is fucking hilarious and I love it. It provides endless content cause no matter what you refute, they'll just move the goalposts and make some new stuff up.

They would kill someone to have the answer if the planet is flat or anything that has a pose. (e.g. Fiat Uno) :-P

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

chicken4war
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:23 pm 

My favourite conspiracy theory is a satirical one, and it's that birds aren't real.
The theory states that between the 1950s to the 2000s the US government killed every bird and replaced them with surveillance drones. It's obviously making fun of the lunatic 5G conspiracy theorists and I love satirical humour :D

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:14 am 

Chem trails.

I've seen some insane trails in sky, that just do not vanish for hours and spread into extremely wide ones (as I worked outside on sunny days, these were rather frequent, say 4-8 years ago during summers mostly). Okay, human have sprayed the sky to make rain. But those mind control and population control theories are more "hmmmmm". Another one is HAARP + chem trails theory.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:30 am 

Lane wrote:
Chem trails.

I've seen some insane trails in sky, that just do not vanish for hours and spread into extremely wide ones (as I worked outside on sunny days, these were rather frequent, say 4-8 years ago during summers mostly). Okay, human have sprayed the sky to make rain. But those mind control and population control theories are more "hmmmmm". Another one is HAARP + chem trails theory.

You ever heard of Hypocrisy?

magate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:20 am 

My favourite conspiracy theory is that all conspiracy theories are invented and propagated by governments. The intention is to make normal people think everyone else is a lunatic.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next