Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:49 am 
 

I'm trying to finish Cormack Macarthy's "Blood Meridian". Struggling. Its relatively short but of such unconventional language that I can only read a maximum of about 7 pages in a row. Beautifully written though and unspeakably violent and hopeless, quite nihillstic in a way. I've been reading it for the last 6 weeks or so. I loved his style in The Road, which blew me away, but Blood Meridian is just difficult.
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:10 pm
Posts: 2169
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm 
 

Quote:
I'm trying to finish Cormack Macarthy's "Blood Meridian". Struggling. Its relatively short but of such unconventional language that I can only read a maximum of about 7 pages in a row. Beautifully written though and unspeakably violent and hopeless, quite nihillstic in a way. I've been reading it for the last 6 weeks or so. I loved his style in The Road, which blew me away, but Blood Meridian is just difficult.


That always happens to me when I try to read book-length poetic stuff; I sit down with it going "ah, this'll be finished in a day or two" and then three hours later look at the clock and go "oh god, I've read four pages".
_________________
Heavy-Metal Spotlight: Reviews of the renowned and the obscure. Most Recently: Nunslaughter - Hell's Unholy Fire
I drum haphazardly in: Nolti Nan Gana Nan Nolta -- "Death By The Venomhammer" EP available on Bandcamp

Top
 Profile  
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:53 pm
Posts: 1939
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm 
 

Keep at it Goblin. "Blood Meridian" is probably my favorite book of all time and you'll definitely feel like you accomplished something after you're done with it, even if you don't fully understand it. I'll admit it took me a second read through to truly grasp the Old Testament style feel/violence and McCarthy's staggering vocabulary, but it was worth my time. The Judge's "War is God" speech is worth the price of the book.
_________________
Bezerko, on Vader's 'Freezing Moon' cover wrote:
FREEZING MOON DOES NOT HAVE CHUGS VADER. DO NOT CHUG IN FREEZING MOON.
rexxz wrote:
Death metal is eternal.

Top
 Profile  
InvalidPacket
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:35 pm
Posts: 78
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:29 pm 
 

I just recently purchased The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft and I've been working my way through that. Prior to my purchase I had only read The Call of Cthulhu so I figured it was about time I dive into his other stories. And for $20 I couldn't pass it up!
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 pm 
 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Keep at it Goblin. "Blood Meridian" is probably my favorite book of all time and you'll definitely feel like you accomplished something after you're done with it, even if you don't fully understand it. I'll admit it took me a second read through to truly grasp the Old Testament style feel/violence and McCarthy's staggering vocabulary, but it was worth my time. The Judge's "War is God" speech is worth the price of the book.


Oh yeah, definitely going to stick it out. I do feel that it is a great book; so evocative and bleak and scarily realistic. The 'war is god' speech is fantastic; the concept of morality as a human construct and the further notion that good and evil's non-existence is extremely important to grasp.

I found the chapter where Tobin (the 'ex-priest') discusses his first encounter with the Judge to be the first point where I was completely pulled into the book and lost in it to an extent. There is just too many parts where I feel that I am suddenly pushed out of the word Mcarthy has created by the odd syntax and description he employs. Are all his books written this way?

But yeah- got about 30 pages to go, so another week and I should be done....
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 151
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 am 
 

Hello all,

I need a novel to read for the final project in my English class. I need to be able to do a literary review of it, so it needs to be of some 'literary merit' and contain archetypes, symbolism, or plot elements that I can analyze. I want it to be dark, possibly dark sci-fi with political overtones, or possibly an epic fantasy. Thanks in advance.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 am 
 

Solaris!
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 am 
 

The Dark Tower!

Top
 Profile  
FlaPack
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am
Posts: 104
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 am 
 

Megadeth wrote:
If you're interested in romance then there's a book and a film called The Notebook where one character has Alzheimer's disease.


A Nicholas Sparks rec on MA? Now I've seen it all.

Slaytanic55 wrote:
I need a novel to read for the final project in my English class. I need to be able to do a literary review of it, so it needs to be of some 'literary merit' and contain archetypes, symbolism, or plot elements that I can analyze. I want it to be dark, possibly dark sci-fi with political overtones, or possibly an epic fantasy. Thanks in advance.


How about Roadside Picnic? It's a short but really good read and anything written by Russians is automatically more literary in the eyes of English teachers.

Top
 Profile  
MazeofTorment
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 2039
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 pm 
 

Question for those of you who may have some experience with publishing fiction, short stories in particular. I'm currently working on a couple and once I'm finished I'll have, what I feel, are 3 fairly strong stories that are more or less of the horror genre but also deal with the fantastical, psychological, and existential. Any ideas on what publishers I should contact? I think the length of each will make them a pretty good collection and would like to have them published together or even separately as part of some compilation of stories, perhaps, even though that would be something of a special circumstance, I suppose. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
_________________
Sokaris wrote:
I love this board but I'm fucking tired of everyone ejaculating every time someone puts a tree on an album cover.

Top
 Profile  
Reid
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 308
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 am 
 

I haven't had any luck/acceptances so far (though I haven't sent in much of my work), but have you looked into submitting to a magazine, whether print or online?

http://www.ralan.com/ is a great resource for looking up various titles, mostly dealing with sci-fi, fantasy, and horror, so it should be right up your alley. The magazines range from well-known titles (Asimov's, Analog, et cetera) that are verrrrrry selective to smaller semi-pro and e-zine publications that are less so.

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2537
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:07 pm 
 

So, I'm on the sixth book of The Dark Tower. I was warned it gets really stupid 'round those parts. It's been getting pretty stupid.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:22 pm 
 

^The Song of Susannah is probably the least enjoyable of the series, but stick it out and read the eponymous final book- it could very well blow your mind (well, it did mine, but my mind is easily blown...). Revel in the atmosphere...:)
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2537
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 pm 
 

Acidgobblin wrote:
^The Song of Susannah is probably the least enjoyable of the series, but stick it out and read the eponymous final book- it could very well blow your mind (well, it did mine, but my mind is easily blown...). Revel in the atmosphere...:)

I intend to finish the series, for sure. It's been very good until The Song of Susannah; I'm just a little stunned at the BIG revelation.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 am 
 

I love that Stephen King
Spoiler: show
writes himself into the story as a god.

THAT is going full retard.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:41 am 
 

He's god of the majestic realm called Stephen King's Imaginationland.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 pm 
 

Reading "Escape from Freedom" by Erich Fromm. It's a pretty badass look at the development of capitalism and coinciding individual responsibility/freedom which began in the Middle Ages. Later goes on to address its current state, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

He's basically an existentialist psychologist so his premise is that people need to move from "negative freedom" to "positive freedom." Echoes Nietzsche in some ways. He's a really insightful and intelligent guy with far-reaching knowledge, enjoying it.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1464
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:49 am 
 

Can anyone recommend horror authors similar to Algernon Blackwood? The Willows was paralyzing.
_________________
last fm
"Beauty is the substance distilled
The rest of what you could not hold
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Top
 Profile  
Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 am
Posts: 523
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:15 am 
 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Question for those of you who may have some experience with publishing fiction, short stories in particular. I'm currently working on a couple and once I'm finished I'll have, what I feel, are 3 fairly strong stories that are more or less of the horror genre but also deal with the fantastical, psychological, and existential. Any ideas on what publishers I should contact? I think the length of each will make them a pretty good collection and would like to have them published together or even separately as part of some compilation of stories, perhaps, even though that would be something of a special circumstance, I suppose. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Well, your best bet is to look around with smaller niche publishers who specialise in either short stories or in genre fiction. There are plenty around that do lots of short-run printing and compilations, that type of thing, although it'd be pretty unlikely to have a compilation published straight away. Pan MacMillan's online imprint, http://momentumbooks.com.au/about/, for example, who specialise in digital-only publishing, that kind of thing.

Other than that, you'd probably just want to look at publishers of short story compilations, something like http://www.thefictiondesk.com, or even short story competitions that offer publication as a prize (again, plenty of these, just google around for genre specific ones that apply to you). And if all else fails, you can always self-publish. But unless you know what you're doing, probably best to try to go through a publisher/competition.

Top
 Profile  
andersbang
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 666
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:40 pm 
 

Acidgobblin wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:
Keep at it Goblin. "Blood Meridian" is probably my favorite book of all time and you'll definitely feel like you accomplished something after you're done with it, even if you don't fully understand it. I'll admit it took me a second read through to truly grasp the Old Testament style feel/violence and McCarthy's staggering vocabulary, but it was worth my time. The Judge's "War is God" speech is worth the price of the book.


Oh yeah, definitely going to stick it out. I do feel that it is a great book; so evocative and bleak and scarily realistic. The 'war is god' speech is fantastic; the concept of morality as a human construct and the further notion that good and evil's non-existence is extremely important to grasp.

I found the chapter where Tobin (the 'ex-priest') discusses his first encounter with the Judge to be the first point where I was completely pulled into the book and lost in it to an extent. There is just too many parts where I feel that I am suddenly pushed out of the word Mcarthy has created by the odd syntax and description he employs. Are all his books written this way?

But yeah- got about 30 pages to go, so another week and I should be done....


So, did you finish it? It's my favorite book, and I've read it many times, definitely worth repeated readings too. I'm travelling at the moment and miss my copy, I'm generally 'always' either rereading it at full attention or reading it on the side of whatever else, ultimately inferior, book I'm reading.
_________________
That god lives in silence who has scoured the following land with salt and ash.
ralfikk123 wrote:
Music is like a blowjob. Just shut up and enjoy it. However metal is the blowjob given by a hot model.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1882
Location: Forgotten In Space
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm 
 

Finally getting to In Search of Lost Time now, and, contrary to what I've long heard, it reads effortlessly. I'm surprised that so many claimed that they gave up on it after a few pages or that they couldn't read it until they were older...

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 am 
 

What's everyone's favourite Clive Barker book? I'm picking some up this week/next week.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9547
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am 
 

Nochielo wrote:
Can anyone recommend horror authors similar to Algernon Blackwood? The Willows was paralyzing.

From the same era, try Arthur Machen. He's less about setting than Blackwood, but the atmosphere is very similar sometimes and he was also a big influence on Lovecraft. For a more recent example, try Karl Edward Wagner. He's comparable to Blackwood in terms of crafting atmospheric settings.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1464
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm 
 

failsafeman wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
Can anyone recommend horror authors similar to Algernon Blackwood? The Willows was paralyzing.

From the same era, try Arthur Machen. He's less about setting than Blackwood, but the atmosphere is very similar sometimes and he was also a big influence on Lovecraft. For a more recent example, try Karl Edward Wagner. He's comparable to Blackwood in terms of crafting atmospheric settings.

Machen's The Great God Pan has been in my queue for months now as has been The Three Impostors, I've heard great things about his work. Haven't heard of Karl Edward Kagner though, will check it out. Thanks failsafe.
_________________
last fm
"Beauty is the substance distilled
The rest of what you could not hold
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1464
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
 

Found something. While looking around for Across Tundras music I stumbled upon this: a musical interpretation of the entire Blood Meridian story. Maybe someone will get a kick out of this.
_________________
last fm
"Beauty is the substance distilled
The rest of what you could not hold
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 pm 
 

MARSDUDE wrote:
What's everyone's favourite Clive Barker book? I'm picking some up this week/next week.


Anyone? I'll probably just start from the beginning. Books Of Blood and The Damnation Game. Though I'd really love something thematically similar to Undying-- the family-curse type shit.

Top
 Profile  
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:53 pm
Posts: 1939
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:23 pm 
 

MARSDUDE wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
What's everyone's favourite Clive Barker book? I'm picking some up this week/next week.


Anyone? I'll probably just start from the beginning. Books Of Blood and The Damnation Game. Though I'd really love something thematically similar to Undying-- the family-curse type shit.


Definitely "Weaveworld".
_________________
Bezerko, on Vader's 'Freezing Moon' cover wrote:
FREEZING MOON DOES NOT HAVE CHUGS VADER. DO NOT CHUG IN FREEZING MOON.
rexxz wrote:
Death metal is eternal.

Top
 Profile  
MARSDUDE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:17 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Canardia
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 pm 
 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Definitely "Weaveworld".


Thanks-- I'll add that and The Hellbound Heart to the list.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm 
 

Barker's Imajica is quite a ride. I read it in high school, left a strong impression.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 4876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 am 
 

aye, definitely start with Weaveworld.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 am 
 

Nochielo wrote:
Can anyone recommend horror authors similar to Algernon Blackwood? The Willows was paralyzing.



I read "the willows" for the first time on sunday night - gave me terrible nightmares! such a beautifully written story.

As well as the aforementioned Machen, you might like M.R.James, who wrote some very eerie ghost stories and was an exact contemporary of Blackwood.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 am 
 

Just ordered - The Other God: Dualist Religions from Antiquity to the Cathar Heresy by Yuri Stoyanov.



Looks very interesting. The thread about religion got me thinking and someone in a review for another book recommended this. Anyone else read it?
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
Disinterested Handjob
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 am
Posts: 50
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 am 
 

I finished the much hyped first book by Patrick Rothfuss not that long ago; The Name of the Wind. Pretty good up until the last third then it all came crashing down as the lead character started mooning about after a girl in a decidedly Robert Jordanian fashion and it ruined the book for me. I promptly started the sequel with some hope and it's more of the same tripe the second half of the first book offered up. 80 pages in and it's not not much more but the main character worrying about money and the tedious dancing around his feeling about a girl. Although the explanations of magic and such are pretty novel and thus pretty good. I turfed it anyway.

Instead I decided to read The first book of the Mongoliad by a horde of noted writers working in concert. It's not great. Time to hit something non fiction I think.
_________________
"music" by Disinterested Handjob.

http://disinterestedhandjob.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 pm 
 

Started Do Androids Dream... last night. Loving it so far. Only other Dick I've read is Man in the High Castle, which was decent but I'm liking this a lot better. I'll get around to reading most of his works eventually, I'm pretty sure we're a good author/reader fit.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
bodomlord
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 pm
Posts: 50
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:29 pm 
 

Just finished reading Melmoth The Wanderer, pretty cool book.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9547
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:33 pm 
 

I just finished Ringworld. Won the Hugo and Nebula awards back in 1970, but aside from the titular Big Idea it was pretty mediocre. Cool setting, boring characters, nothing much in terms of plot. It blatantly sets up sequels, but it does very little on its own. Set in this fantastic setting it really begged to be written by someone who could really paint vivid pictures with words, an M John Harrison or a China Mieville, and someone with a bizarre imagination like Jack Vance or Gene Wolfe to describe all the weird stuff the Ringworlders have gotten up to. Unfortunately we're stuck with pedestrian prose and workmanlike explanations behind the setting. Still quite readable, but just rather underwhelming overall. Sci-fi has come a long way since 1970.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5679
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:20 pm 
 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Niven's writing. Ringworld was an irritating waste of a great concept.
_________________
theunrelentingattack wrote:
i've whitelisted Whores

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2027
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 am 
 

Just finished Danielewski's "House Of Leaves". I would write something more about it but I think words cannot do it justice. If more post-modern novels were structured in this way and being so adventurous and challenging without being artsy I would read much more modern authors. Great premise, very clever in execution while still maintaining elements of dread and horror. I reccomend it to anyone interesed in a challenging read.

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1464
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:37 pm 
 

House of Leaves is fantastic, one of the best books I've ever read by a long shot. I read it like a year ago and I haven't (not once) left the closet door open since. I have my own theory for what happened but I'm guessing everyone does. Deserves all the praise it gets.

EDIT: Didn't see this:
Scorntyrant wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
Can anyone recommend horror authors similar to Algernon Blackwood? The Willows was paralyzing.

I read "the willows" for the first time on sunday night - gave me terrible nightmares! such a beautifully written story.

As well as the aforementioned Machen, you might like M.R.James, who wrote some very eerie ghost stories and was an exact contemporary of Blackwood.

Is he the guy that wrote "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary"? I didn't like "Ghost Stories...", it failed to "grab" me. His style I do enjoy but the stories themselves were underwhelming. Should I read any other of his works?
_________________
last fm
"Beauty is the substance distilled
The rest of what you could not hold
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:56 pm 
 

Nochielo wrote:
Is he the guy that wrote "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary"? I didn't like "Ghost Stories...", it failed to "grab" me. His style I do enjoy but the stories themselves were underwhelming. Should I read any other of his works?



Well, they are quite subtle. Depends what you are looking for I guess. I find their quaintness quite intriguing and interesting. If you liked them more I would 100% reccomend tracking down an album by The Triple Tree (ie Tony Wakeford and Andrew King) called "Ghosts". Which is entirely comprised of adaptations of James' work. It's on youtube if you are interested.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 100  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CF_Mono, IanThrash, LlamaTrainer, zahgurim and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group