Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Joshulus
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:32 am 
 

So I'm a thief? Yet in the past week and a half I have spend $80+ on music (Australian dollars of course). Go figure.

If downloading a song is stealing, is trying to force people to pay $1.99 for it robbery? It wouldn't be half as bad if the songs for sale were at an awesome bitrate.

I haven't heard of any infringement cases in Australia. I guess that's because the powers that be might be too busy trying to get people to buy music, rather than sue a few individuals for money they don't have.
_________________
ThrashingMad wrote:
WarriorsDawn wrote:
I was at the chiropractor's a couple days ago. We're talking, and he asks me what kind of music I listen to. Turns out my chiropractor is a huge Overkill fan.

Hopefully he won't wreck your neck.

Top
 Profile  
Leify
A Whisper of Death

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am
Posts: 744
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:07 pm 
 

I like how Manowar offers all their albums online. They download about as fast (if not faster) than rapidshare, and the proceeds go directly to them.

I think if a band was forced to just write off the cost of an album, they would be much less apt to put out crap upon crap (Jeff Waters, I'm talking to you) in order to get fans sufficiently excited/willing to see them on tour.
_________________
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel. The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel.
Stab! Bawl! Punch! Crawl!

Top
 Profile  
The_Count
Village Idiot

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:04 pm
Posts: 407
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:26 pm 
 

http://w2.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaa_at_four.pdf

Interesting read about how the RIAA is winning the lawsuit battles but not the war against file sharing.
_________________
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
I'd be more than welcome to take on the jihadists. If they think they are the only ones who know how to make home made bombs and use guns... well they know nothing about redneck America.

Top
 Profile  
MattFrost
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 186
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:46 pm 
 

Quote:
I would buy a cd from you instead of downloading just because of your attitude on the entire situation :headbang:

Enjoyed that read quite a bit.


Thanks, now I just have to get one pressed. And, I know the post was really long, I just get caught up in a rant sometimes. My apologies to anyone who got carpal tunnel scrolling past my windy post.

Top
 Profile  
MattFrost
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 186
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 pm 
 

Silencia wrote:
The RIAA probably doesn't care too much about the money. It just looks as if they wanted to make an example of her.


If they wanted to they could sue everyone. Most people don't take steps to hide their filesharing, it would be easy to launch massive lawsuits, but they don't for two reasons- one, it would tie up the court system and probably cause judges to toss the lawsuits, and two, it would be a public relations flop, causing a consumer backlash that may hurt record label profits more than downloading does.

So, their answer is to target certain people. They go after the people who are unlikely to defend against the lawsuit. College students, housewives, people who don't have a lot of extra cash on hand, basically. They figure these people will settle for a few thousand dollars each rather than risk getting a big judgment against them. The woman in the OP here did defend, but lost. The labels didn't really win, though, because it's likely this woman and her family will have to declare bankruptcy.

Look at it from a battle mindset. The army is charging, overwhelming numbers. The RIAA is defending the walls, they're firing arrows and picking off people here and there, and the occasional court decision knocks down a ladder or a tower, but eventually, the army is going to win the siege, break down the gates, slay the enemy, and loot the entire village. It's just a matter of time. As artists, or label owners, we have to find a way to adapt to the new paradigm, or we will end up trampled in the dust.

Top
 Profile  
MattFrost
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 186
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:59 pm 
 

Leify wrote:
I like how Manowar offers all their albums online. They download about as fast (if not faster) than rapidshare, and the proceeds go directly to them.

I think if a band was forced to just write off the cost of an album, they would be much less apt to put out crap upon crap (Jeff Waters, I'm talking to you) in order to get fans sufficiently excited/willing to see them on tour.


That's great for Manowar, more power to them. Perfect example of rolling with the times.

Another thing to consider is that, though pressing and distributing a CD may seem expensive to an indie label or artist, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't cost that much, and it costs even less to distribute digitally. The major labels, however, don't get to reap their obscene profit margin with digital distro. A CD they can charge $20 for at the store and you HAVE to pay for the whole thing even if 12 out of the 15 songs suck. Digital distribution, the marketplace won't support more than $2 per song (at the most) and you can pick and choose which songs to buy from the album. The majors HATE iTunes and Rhapsody and all the other pay per song sites because it's forcing them to put out albums that have more than two or three good songs.

Top
 Profile  
Serpenthrone777
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:02 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:00 pm 
 

Fuck copyright infringement laws. The only reason they're their is cause we have mallcore kids downloading and not buying anything. I download to see what I like and then I buy what I like. Fuck people who don't. The music industry isn't loosing money on me anyways, if anything they're gaining money on me. Since I started downloading I've bought over triple the amount of albums that I did before and I've actualy started going to concerts.

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:14 pm 
 

Serpenthrone777 wrote:
Fuck copyright infringement laws. The only reason they're their is cause we have mallcore kids downloading and not buying anything.


:lol: How incredibly wrong you are.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:32 pm 
 

So what if the major labels aren't making their big-ass profit, more cocaine for the average American than the average CEO and his party!

Honestly, it'd make a lot more sense selling albums digitally as whole albums without any label whatsoever. All the money goes to the artist, who could work out with their manager and co. to do tours and such. I can't think of any way off the top of my head how the planning works, but it can be pulled off if implemented correctly and efficiently.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
reconcile
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Posts: 37
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:23 pm 
 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
Serpenthrone777 wrote:
Fuck copyright infringement laws. The only reason they're their is cause we have mallcore kids downloading and not buying anything.


:lol: How incredibly wrong you are.


Which part is he wrong on? Copyright infringement laws ARE terrible and horribly outdated. They need to reduce the time frame from "forever" to a few years. Let the band gather their profits, then remove the copyright laws. That way I'm not funding the bands (and the labels, for that matter) retirement and numerous trips to Cuba for cigars and cheap women.

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:26 pm 
 

How about all of it?
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
Leify
A Whisper of Death

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am
Posts: 744
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 pm 
 

reconcile wrote:
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
Serpenthrone777 wrote:
Fuck copyright infringement laws. The only reason they're their is cause we have mallcore kids downloading and not buying anything.


:lol: How incredibly wrong you are.


Which part is he wrong on? Copyright infringement laws ARE terrible and horribly outdated. They need to reduce the time frame from "forever" to a few years. Let the band gather their profits, then remove the copyright laws. That way I'm not funding the bands (and the labels, for that matter) retirement and numerous trips to Cuba for cigars and cheap women.


So, in summary, you think copyright laws are crap because they allow artists to make a comfortable living off of their own material.
_________________
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel. The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel.
Stab! Bawl! Punch! Crawl!

Top
 Profile  
reconcile
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Posts: 37
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 pm 
 

Leify wrote:
reconcile wrote:
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
Serpenthrone777 wrote:
Fuck copyright infringement laws. The only reason they're their is cause we have mallcore kids downloading and not buying anything.


:lol: How incredibly wrong you are.


Which part is he wrong on? Copyright infringement laws ARE terrible and horribly outdated. They need to reduce the time frame from "forever" to a few years. Let the band gather their profits, then remove the copyright laws. That way I'm not funding the bands (and the labels, for that matter) retirement and numerous trips to Cuba for cigars and cheap women.


So, in summary, you think copyright laws are crap because they allow artists to make a comfortable living off of their own material.


Have you ever watched MTV or VH1? Have you seen MTV Cribs? You call that merely "comfortable"?

What I'm saying is artists deserve compensation for the amount of work and effort they put into their albums and thats it. We don't need to continue feeding them millions of dollars 10-20 years down the line. There is no need for $60 million dollar homes and 15 Corvettes in their garage. That's greed, not comfort.

Top
 Profile  
mrchris
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:32 pm
Posts: 950
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:02 pm 
 

What is wrong is the labels have the copyright to the songs of artists, which should RIGHTFULLY be the latter, not the lazyass execs doing jack shit while the artist/band works their ass off to make new songs.

Fucking roaches.
_________________
The Brutal Video Vault

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:05 pm 
 

mrchris wrote:
What is wrong is the labels have the copyright to the songs of artists


Wrong. Record labels own the copyright to the specific recordings, not the songs themselves.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1206
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 pm 
 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
wight_ghoul wrote:
Warning to people who think they're safe if they stay away from top 40 stuff: the lady who got fined big time was sharing, among others:

Opeth
VNV Nation
Chevelle


She was probably caught for the top 40 shit, though. Not to say Opeth and VNV Nation and Chevelle aren't popular, however.


I remember I was at a university library once, searching the cd's. I found Blackwater Park by Opeth, and got it. It's not safe on there, but should the library be sued?

Buncha fuckin' hypocritial ass people.

Top
 Profile  
Ash90
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 5:38 am
Posts: 98
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 pm 
 

I just want to be 100% on this. If you live in another country can you be caught by the RIAA? May sound stupid but i just want to know my safety level...

Top
 Profile  
Leify
A Whisper of Death

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am
Posts: 744
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 pm 
 

reconcile wrote:
Leify wrote:
reconcile wrote:
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
Serpenthrone777 wrote:
Fuck copyright infringement laws. The only reason they're their is cause we have mallcore kids downloading and not buying anything.


:lol: How incredibly wrong you are.


Which part is he wrong on? Copyright infringement laws ARE terrible and horribly outdated. They need to reduce the time frame from "forever" to a few years. Let the band gather their profits, then remove the copyright laws. That way I'm not funding the bands (and the labels, for that matter) retirement and numerous trips to Cuba for cigars and cheap women.


So, in summary, you think copyright laws are crap because they allow artists to make a comfortable living off of their own material.


Have you ever watched MTV or VH1? Have you seen MTV Cribs? You call that merely "comfortable"?

What I'm saying is artists deserve compensation for the amount of work and effort they put into their albums and thats it. We don't need to continue feeding them millions of dollars 10-20 years down the line. There is no need for $60 million dollar homes and 15 Corvettes in their garage. That's greed, not comfort.


And how much of the musical population (% wise) do you think makes up that upper echelon.

The only thing what you are talking about would do is fuck over smaller, long standing bands, while the MTV/VH1 artists still make all their money in the first few years as they ride a fad.

Point blank, you don't have a problem with copyrights, you have a problem with capitalism.
_________________
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel. The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel.
Stab! Bawl! Punch! Crawl!

Top
 Profile  
The_Count
Village Idiot

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:04 pm
Posts: 407
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:41 pm 
 

Leify wrote:
Point blank, you don't have a problem with copyrights, you have a problem with capitalism.


http://yayforcommunism.ytmnd.com/


I have been waiting so long for the perfect time to use it in this thread...
_________________
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
I'd be more than welcome to take on the jihadists. If they think they are the only ones who know how to make home made bombs and use guns... well they know nothing about redneck America.

Top
 Profile  
SigurdOrSiegfried
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:53 pm 
 

The_Count wrote:
Just do not use p2p programs would be the safest way I would say. So far no one has produced a story where people have been caught using rapidshare or megaupload and that is where all the full albums are to be had anyway.


Soulseek is a P2P program and thus you may be more prone to being caught downloading?
_________________
LOLWUT


Last edited by SigurdOrSiegfried on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
mpawluk
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 59
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:05 am 
 

SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
The_Count wrote:
Just do not use p2p programs would be the safest way I would say. So far no one has produced a story where people have been caught using rapidshare or megaupload and that is where all the full albums are to be had anyway.


Soulseek is a P2P program and thus you may be prone to being caught downloading?

If that was a question, your answer would be yes.
_________________
Gaahl wrote:
Seeing ugly people puts me in a terrible mood.

Top
 Profile  
SigurdOrSiegfried
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:11 am 
 

Aussie_Ash666 wrote:
I just want to be 100% on this. If you live in another country can you be caught by the RIAA? May sound stupid but i just want to know my safety level...


Mpawluk answer this question, please.
_________________
LOLWUT

Top
 Profile  
The_Count
Village Idiot

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:04 pm
Posts: 407
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:18 am 
 

SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
Aussie_Ash666 wrote:
I just want to be 100% on this. If you live in another country can you be caught by the RIAA? May sound stupid but i just want to know my safety level...


Mpawluk answer this question, please.


Recording Industry Association of AMERICA being the key word there.


That is not to say there is not other groups similar to that in your said country so your best bet would be to do a little foot work via google.
_________________
Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
I'd be more than welcome to take on the jihadists. If they think they are the only ones who know how to make home made bombs and use guns... well they know nothing about redneck America.

Top
 Profile  
SigurdOrSiegfried
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:32 am 
 

The_Count wrote:
SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
Aussie_Ash666 wrote:
I just want to be 100% on this. If you live in another country can you be caught by the RIAA? May sound stupid but i just want to know my safety level...


Mpawluk answer this question, please.


Recording Industry Association of AMERICA being the key word there.


That is not to say there is not other groups similar to that in your said country so your best bet would be to do a little foot work via google.


Yes, I just thought the RIAA may even stretch its power to other countries. There is an Singaporean version of the RIAA, it is named the RIAS( Recording Industry Association of Singapore ). If I'm not wrong it has prosecuted and fined like 5 or less people.
_________________
LOLWUT

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:36 am 
 

the RIAA, along with all of the other national recording industry representatives belongs to the IFPI which represents the interests of recording artists worldwide. It's more than just the RIAA.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
ebulus
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:46 am
Posts: 841
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 am 
 

I think im pretty safe here, never heard of anybody getting caught for downloading, and also the fact that we have had ipods since they came out.. but only recently got an ipod music store that we could use go figure...

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 am 
 

Would the R + I + A + A be out of business of their artists dropped from their labels and released songs / albums online?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39 am 
 

Most certainly. They only exist to protect the interest of their clients. IF they had none, they would have zero business. Quite an obvious answer... why would you have to ask? :lol:
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:41 am 
 

Because usually someone would bring up an alternate argument that I clearly didn't think about because I'm the dumbest teen on here. I can't argue myself out of a wet paper back, and I'm the worst guy to ever put faith in a comeback line... ever.

So why DON'T artists just ditch their labels, record songs and put them online for a price, leading to the getting more money and working out something with their managers, stuff, or themselves on touring and doing their own routine?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:43 am 
 

The record labels offer physical distribution, which artists can never match in the scale that they can provide. And seeing as how cd sales still outweight digital sales by far, that is why.

I'm not arguing against the idea, in fact it is what I'll be doing as soon as I can get my act together and complete something. But in the bigger picture, CD sales are still king, and distribution is required.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9702
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:48 am 
 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
The record labels offer physical distribution, which artists can never match in the scale that they can provide. And seeing as how cd sales still outweight digital sales by far, that is why.

I'm not arguing against the idea, in fact it is what I'll be doing as soon as I can get my act together and complete something. But in the bigger picture, CD sales are still king, and distribution is required.

See that could have been your argument in the other post - we aren't ready for mass, legal digital release.

:(

So WE have to live in the period of transition where we get fucked, but generations later on will be able to get what we strive for, legally.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 am 
 

Well it's not an arguement against the fact, it's just the situation as it stands now. The RIAA most certainly would vanish if there were zero artist producing labels affiliated with it. But right now that isn't going to happen.

I personally do not think physical mediums of music distribution will ever fade. People like having something tangible.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
ebulus
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:46 am
Posts: 841
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:57 am 
 

I like the tangible, but the fact i have to buy online to even buy something as simple as anything apart from st anger by metallica annoys me..

Top
 Profile  
orionmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 2457
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:44 am 
 

Matt, my good friend, I will respond at some point when I have, well, a good time to respond. I don't want to give some half assed answer when you've taken, what seems to be, a lot of time to respond.

but...

i hope this doesnt become long cat.... I hate just scrolling past that thing....
_________________
CONTAMINATED TONES - BLOG/LABEL/DISTRO
Facebook

Top
 Profile  
Catastrophic
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:40 am
Posts: 138
Location: Malaysia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:38 am 
 

Image
_________________
"No matter how beautiful a girl is, they still shit"
-Dave Mustaine-
Bezerko wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
I wonder if this would help me get more pussy.

No. Studies show that Manowar related penile products reduce attraction rates by 57%.

Top
 Profile  
Vlachos
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:11 am
Posts: 1405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 am 
 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

If I'm unable to download albums, I'm going to purchase the same number of CDs as I would anyway, whether that be five, ten or twenty a year. For all the albums I've downloaded for free, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay for them.

For metal music particularly, it's one more step towards more potential 'tr00' metalheads going "oh yay, the new Machine Head album is out! They're heavy as fuck" instead of actually finding bands you hadn't heard of that are better. Last year I bought Mastodon's Blood Mountain after hearing one song and reading rave reviews - and on a whim - only to be disappointed. This year I downloaded Gorgoroth's Under The Sign of Hell.

If there were some kind of system where I could say "fuck you, Mastodon" and take back 95% of the cash I paid for their album and send it Gorgoroth's way, I'd be that much more content with what I have.
_________________
TheRealThing wrote:
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

Top
 Profile  
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm
Posts: 2903
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39 pm 
 

While pretty funny, that comic was very inaccurate. If you're going to use satire, at least make sure you're going to get it right.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston

Strange Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
MattFrost
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 186
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 pm 
 

Leify wrote:
you think copyright laws are crap because they allow artists to make a comfortable living off of their own material.


No, copyright laws were put on the books years ago before digital sharing was available, and they were made to address a SPECIFIC problem of a non-copyright holder profiting off of the intellectual property of the copyright holder. Making copies of cassettes and VHS videos and selling them for example. The problem those laws run into with digital sharing is that nobody is making a profit from sharing them- but the labels aren't either. And, again, please- this is not and never was about the artists, it's about the labels.

reconcile wrote:
Have you ever watched MTV or VH1? Have you seen MTV Cribs? You call that merely "comfortable"?

What I'm saying is artists deserve compensation for the amount of work and effort they put into their albums and thats it. We don't need to continue feeding them millions of dollars 10-20 years down the line. There is no need for $60 million dollar homes and 15 Corvettes in their garage. That's greed, not comfort.


Again, allow me to correct the misinformation here. This is not about supporting the lavish lifestyle of rock stars. Most musicians who are against downloading believe that it's not right to disseminate their music without being paid for it, but it's the principle they object to, not the loss of money. The idea that they should work hard and break their asses for years before getting a record deal, and then what, they should just give away their music? It's a concept that is alien to them, but I think a lot of them react in a knee-jerk manner and don't think things through. Lars Ulrich is a perfect case in point, especially given that Metallica owes a lot of it's early success to bootleg tape trading. These artists then get duped by record company execs into doing their anti-filesharing PR, and in some cases I would even wager that they're forced into it. You go out and speak out against downloads or we won't push your album. This is entirely about the big labels, not the artists. The artist, if they have an audience, can go on tour and easily make a living, and more access to their music via downloading only helps that artist.

Top
 Profile  
MattFrost
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 186
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:26 pm 
 

Leify wrote:
Point blank, you don't have a problem with copyrights, you have a problem with capitalism.


I would say the recording industry has a problem with capitalism. They don't want competition, they want complete and utter totalitarian control over the music industry. A capitalist would embrace downloading, and realize that while it may put a dent in short-term profits, the opportunities to make more money down the line are staggering. Steve Jobs did just that when he launched iTunes, created the iPod, and revolutionized the industry. He pissed off a lot of labels at first, but even they couldn't say no to customer demands, and now, only a handful of copyright holders are resisting iTunes.

There's an upside and a downside to downloading. The downside is that yeah, you're going to get people who will download everything and never pay for it. The upside is, you can still make owning the actual product, be it a CD or a digital file, more marketable than a bootleg. All it takes is a little ingenuity and business savvy. You can make a hell of a lot more money by embracing the future, whether you're an artist or a record label, and the large labels are just too big and cumbersome to make the transition.

The asteroid has hit, the dinosaurs are already dying.

Top
 Profile  
Leify
A Whisper of Death

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am
Posts: 744
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:31 pm 
 

You've taken my statements out of context.

None of what I said is regarding labels, only with reconcile's problem with artists getting profits X amount of years into the future from their work.
_________________
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel. The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel.
Stab! Bawl! Punch! Crawl!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BloodSacrificeShaman, darkeningday and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group