Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:47 pm 

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy speaks at U.N. General Assembly. Full video. "Evil cannot be trusted."

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:54 pm 

The Democrats really suck at the PR game. They don't talk enough about 1) a lot of those billions of dollars go to US contractors and is spent in-country, keeping people working and funding city economies. Red states likely benefiting the most. They should be hammering this, hopefuly affecting the dense R citizens' support for Ukraine. 2) we're sending old equipment that would otherwise go unused, cost lots of money to keep in storage on moth balls, and then lots more money to destroy. Example: 1991 Bradley vehicles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those haven't been used since the Gulf War? We're never going to use them. And then we place a value on them by current standards, which is obviously inflated. 60 Minutes said they were $2M each. First, why would any land vehicle cost $2M to make once in production, other than US contractors sucking tax payers dry. Second, they certainly did not cost $2M in 1991. So, again, Ukraine is doing us a favor by taking and using these vehicles. Biden should be doing press conferences with this kind of information on posters. Ukraine gets what it needs, and we get rid of stuff we'll never use again. The US public thinks we're sending new gear and making our military less prepared. It's all a PR war that we're losing and could potentially affect Ukraine more than it already does. Yeah, the liberal media. What a bunch of halfwits and asshats.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:50 pm 

It's been a problem for the entirety of the Biden presidency. He's done enough good things that "Can he beat Trump again?" doesn't need to be a question, but he needs to trumpet his victories.

Trump never missed a chance to hammer on his great accomplishments (especially if they were made up!), and people loved it!

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:04 pm 

A recent article on Seymour Hersh's substack is quite fascinating. I'll post it here in it's entirety, and the implications that it reveals, if true, are quite profound:

GENERAL TO GENERAL
A potential peace is being negotiated in Ukraine by military leaders
SEYMOUR HERSH
DEC 1

It’s been a rough couple of months for President Joe Biden and his feckless foreign policy team. Israel is going its own way in its war against Hamas, with renewed bombing in Gaza, and the American public is bitterly divided, all of which is reflected in polls that continue to be unfavorable to the White House.

Meanwhile, the president and his foreign policy aides have also been left on the outside as serious peace talks between Russia and Ukraine have rapidly gained momentum.

“Everyone in Europe is talking about this”—the peace talks—an American businessman who spent years dealing with high-level Ukrainian diplomatic and military issues in the government told me earlier this week. “But there are lots of questions between a ceasefire and a settlement.” The veteran journalist Anataol Lieven wrote this week that the battlefield situation in Ukraine and thus “a ceasefire and negotiations for a peace settlement are becoming more and more necessary for Ukraine.” He said that it was “exceptionally difficult” for the Ukrainian government headed by Volodymyr Zelensky to agree to talks, given its repeated refusal to negotiate with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The driving force of those talks has not been Washington or Moscow, or Biden or Putin, but instead the two high-ranking generals who run the war, Valery Gerasimov of Russia and Valery Zaluzhny of Ukraine.

The ingredient that triggered the private talks is a shared understanding that Putin would not object to a settlement that fixed borders according to where the troops were in place when the peace talks ended. Russia would be left with unchallenged control of Crimea and, pending an election to be held under martial law in March, with essential control of the four provinces, or oblasts, that Russia annexed last year: Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia, and the still embattled Kherson. In return—in a concession not foreseen—Russia, that is, Putin himself, would not object to Ukraine joining NATO.

In a November 1 interview in the Economist: Valery Zaluzhny, commander-in-chief of the Ukraine army, stunned the editors by acknowledging that his war with Russia is “into a stalemate. It would take a massive technological leap to break the deadlock.” The general revealed that his troops had advanced by less than eleven miles since the much advertised Ukrainian counteroffensive against Russia got under way early last summer. “There will be most likely no deep and beautiful breakthrough,” Zaluzhny said. “The simple fact is that we see everything that the enemy is doing and they see everything we are doing. In order for us to break this deadlock we need something new, like the gunpowder which the Chinese invented and which we are still using to kill each other.”

The interview made headlines around the world—it’s news when the general running a war announces the war is deadlocked—and, of course, it enraged Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, and the general publicly apologized for his remarks.

But Zelensky is still running the country, and it is known in some quarters in Europe that Russia and Ukraine are now engaged in serious peace talks. Zelensky is resisting such talks and has announced he will seek re-election on a platform that calls for a full withdrawal of Russia from Ukraine before any peace talks can resume. The country is currently under martial law, so elections cannot take place. Zelensky continues to mobilize troops for the Ukrainian army, with a reported new call-up of those between the ages of seventeen and seventy.

There must be a backstory when a commanding general tells a prominent magazine that his and Russia’s army are locked in a stalemate. And here it is, as told to me by two Americans with direct knowledge of these matters.

The interview with the Economist was arranged, as the editors of the magazine were not aware, after a series of general-to-general communications with Valery Gerasimov, who has been the chief of the general staff of Russia’s military since 2012. He is also Russia’s first deputy minister of defense. Gerasimov was especially close to US Army General Martin Dempsey, who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President Barack Obama from 2011 to 2015. Dempsey and Gerasimov initially met many years earlier at social events when both were captains and commanded opposite tank units in West and East Germany.

One American official involved early on in the general-to-general talks told me: “This was not a spur-of-the-moment event,” he said. “This was carefully orchestrated by Zaluzhny. The message was the war is over and we want out. To continue it would destroy the next generation of the citizens of Ukraine.”

The official acknowledged that “there is no question” that Zaluzhny “had some help in deciding to go public from some key Americans.”

“What was the objective of this amazing story?” the official asked. “To get the Ukraine leadership”—meaning Zelensky and his coterie—“to agree to a settlement and to realize that to continue the war was self-destructive.” He said that there was what he called “a bigger objective”: to get the Ukrainian citizenry “to the point where they would agree to negotiations” to end the war.

Meanwhile, on the Russian side, the official said, “Gerasimov also realized that from a military perspective the war in Ukraine was a destructive stalemate.” The Russian general “finally convinced Putin that there was no victory to be had. The Russian losses were disproportionate.

“But how to convince Zelensky?” the official said. “He is a madman who staked his life upon winning politically and militarily. He is an obstacle to a settlement, and he has many allies in the Ukrainian military. So the message that was sent to Zelensky is that we are going to have talks with the Russians with or without you and they are going to be military to military. Your neighbors are fed up with you, especially Poland and Hungary, and they want their Ukrainian refugees to go back to a peaceful country,”

The other issue facing Zelensky, the official said, is economic: “How do you operate a country with no GNP?”

The deal now on the table for Zelensky, the official said, offers the possibility of Russian support for Ukraine to finally be allowed to join NATO. Crimea would stay in Russian hands, and there would be freely monitored Russian presidential elections in the four partially occupied oblasts claimed by Russia. Two weeks ago Putin signed legislation that allowed voting in those provinces to be held under martial law.

“The White House is totally against the proposed agreement,” the official said. “But it will happen. Putin has not disagreed.” It is thought that Putin will “want to make a deal.”

There is much work left to do on many details of the proposed agreement, the official said. He provided a daunting list: "War criminals on both sides. Citizenship. Compensation. Ordnance disposal. Cross-border economics. Access and, most importantly, the political cover story. Neither side wants to be blamed for a ‘sellout’ and are looking for peace with honor. Trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube won't be easy, but most important to prevent future flare-ups. We have all winter to work it out and some good folks lending a hand.”

The official told of a recent encouraging sign. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov recently asked to be invited to the NATO international security conference that took place this week in Montenegro. “He was extended an invitation and accepted,” the official said. “The United States was informed but not given a veto.”

A second American , whose information comes from overseas, confirmed that Russia might be willing to “allow Ukraine to join NATO,” but he added an important caveat. Under the tentative agreement, NATO would have to commit to “not place NATO troops on Ukrainian soil.” The agreement also would not allow NATO to place offensive weapons in Ukraine, but defensive weapons systems would be permitted.

The American added that Russia would agree, were the proposed peace talks to succeed, to rejoin the Comprehensive Nucear-Test-Ban Treaty from which it recently withdrew. It also would agree to remove its military from areas near the Baltic states and Moldova.

He told me that the proposed settlement has inherent logic because of the on-the-ground military realities. Russia, like Ukraine, he said, has been unable to launch penetration attacks deep across the war’s current front. “They tried but failed. Inefficient and wasteful as its military is, Russia can hold on to territories they have conquered in eastern Ukraine. And we are heading into the winter months, during which the mud and snow make any progress impossible.”

The two generals may continue to talk and Putin may indeed be interested in a settlement that gives him permanent control of Crimea and the four provinces he has claimed, but Zelensky remains the wild card. The American official said that Zelensky has been told that “this is a military-to-military problem to solve and the talks will go on with or without you.” If necessary. the American official told me, “We can finance his voyage to the Caribbean.”

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:06 am 

I forgot there were still people who take Seymour Hersh seriously.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:51 am 

I have no idea who that is. The text above is crap, had to stop reading at "peace talks". What a joke.

Which channels would you guys recommend for news about Ukraine? I used to follow a bunch of journalists on Twitter but I left that platform because it is broken and dying. My two cents:
The Kyiv Independent, Ukraine’s fastest-growing, independent, English-language media outlet. Covers a wide range of topics. Constant updates. https://kyivindependent.com/
The Institute for the Study of War, real-time, independent, and open-source analysis of ongoing military operations. https://www.understandingwar.org/

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:28 pm 

For Ezadara and Mikja:

If there is someone, i.e. Hersh's sources, that is feeding him absolute garbage, well, that's one thing, and certainly not impossible (at least theoretically). But I don't for a minute believe that Hersh made that up out of thin air. This is the guy who exposed the My Lai massacre in Vietnam, extensively covered Watergate when he was with the NYT, and the torture of detainees at Abu Ghraib during the "war on terror". His book is constantly being cited when it comes to Vietnam and most recently I saw it cited in an article in Rolling Stone when they
totally unleashed on Henry Kissinger (and rightfully so) when he died recently. The RS article can be seen below (and I highly recommend it):

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234804748/

I don't think that Hersh is a hack at all. Rather, he is currently opining against some of the sacred cows that are in our conventional media wisdom of today and I know that a lot of people here don't like that.

On his substack he spoke about how the blowing up of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline was definitely not the Russians themselves... something that at first was dismissed by the world at large but then it turned out to be exactly true. More recently, he also spoke about the secret hostage negotiations between Israel and Hamas that were being mediated by Qatar a full 2 weeks before we even heard about it in the regular news cycle.

So anyway, why would a journalist with his background sacrifice his reputation by publishing stuff that is total bunk unless he thought that there was something to it? It just doesn't make sense to me. Someone with his history I trust more than than an ideologically guided pundit with an axe to grind.

As for NEWS about Ukraine, I am not very familiar with the Kyiv Independent, however, I really do have to recommend The Institute for the Study of War (as Miikja linked). I read their updates almost every day. They are extremely well connected, the research is excellent, and the daily updates focus as much on facts as possible, and you really get an insider's window into the whole geopolitical and military situation there, but I wouldn't call them necessarily unbiased. When they do publish the odd op-ed, I find that it is always predicated on money and support from the West to Ukraine being endless and without an upper limit, along with an unrealistic pool of how much personnel Ukraine can mobilize. If you ask me, that's because they are creating an assessment based on what they feel would be an ideal scenario, but real-time scenarios are almost never ideal. Case in point, some new articles that I've seen today that reflect just how razor-wire precarious these resources actually are:

White House warns it is ‘out of money and nearly out of time’ to aid Ukraine:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... id-warning

Ukrainian soldier admits some of the marines trying to defend a key river against Russian attack 'can't even swim'
https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine ... bc-2023-12

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:21 pm 

Just because someone was right in the past doesn't mean they can't be wrong now. Take the Nordstream claims. You left out the part that points the finger directly at the Americans. This recent Guardian article paints a very different story. I don't know that anyone at all can say for sure who did it. So, calling such claims "exactly true" is a bit of a stretch, not to say misleading. Basing high-profile stories on anonymous sources is a very risky thing to do. To illustrate:

Quote:
Blowing Holes in Seymour Hersh's Pipe Dream
On the surface Seymour Hersh's story looks passable, but as you dig deeper it has more holes than the Nord Stream pipeline.

Oliver Alexander Link to article

The funniest claim is about Jens Stoltenberg working with US intel since the Vietnam War. Stoltenberg was sixteen years old when that war ended.

So yeah, no. Not impressed.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:15 am 

Seymour Hersh is completely unreliable. You might as well be posting Alex Jones and pretending it has some kind of bearing on reality.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:09 pm 

i recommend this channel if you want to understand more about whats actually happening militarily, no blind pro Ukrainian optimism here.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:57 pm 

Russia is still throwing bombs on the civilian population in Ukraine. Today's aerial attack is said to be the largest since the start of the war. Among the targets this time were a maternity clinic, a school, water and energy supply. Every major city was hit.
https://kyivindependent.com/russian-str ... o-kharkiv/

My only wish for 2024 is that Russia loses the war and Ukraine gets its territory back. I need that hope to cling on to because the world is becoming increasingly insane. Ukraine is still standing, still fighting, but they need a break. Perhaps the F16's can make a difference in the coming months.

Also, I will make special mention of traitors Viktor Orbán, Robert Fico and Geert Wilders, who will happily side with Putin and endanger European securities any chance they get. To hell with these morons, I'm so sick of their bs.

https://kyivindependent.com/2023-ukraine-in-photos/

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:24 pm 

Is there any estimate of when the Ukraine war will end? It has become probably the bloodiest conflict of the 21st century. The casualties on both sides are nightmarish, so much pain and lives lost over this war. I hope this hell to be over soon, for the best of all the population in both Russia and Ukraine.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:35 pm 

the only signs right now is that it seems like Russia will get comparatively stronger than Ukraine but as they are the invading force they need that to even have any chance of pushing. Unless something weird happens i don't see the war ending next year either.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:33 pm 

There is no winning this war for Russia. Those who insist that Russia's holding of Ukrainian territory constitutes a victory are forgetting (or attempting to erase) that Russia very clearly set out with the intention of effectively reimposing its imperial authority over Ukraine, deposing its democratically elected government, and installing a puppet regime. None of that has happened. Its attempt to do so has embarrassed what was once seen as one of the world's premier military powers. It's clear Russia assumed it could basically accomplish what the US did in Iraq when it dismantled the Iraqi military and government in a couple of weeks; instead, it failed to decisively defeat a vastly numerically, technologically, and logistically inferior adversary, and now that Ukraine is receiving significant military and logistical support from the global community, there is no real pathway to military victory for Russia. In the process, it has lost influence in areas it once operated freely in as essentially a post-colonial power; countries in the Asian parts of the former USSR like the Caucasus and Central Asia are no longer afraid to shirk Russian diktats (even if they won't break decisively with Moscow, and some are even approaching that point) and former European holdings like Moldova are receiving greater attention and assistance as they seek to fight Russian disinformation and agitprop efforts.

Whether victory is possible for Ukraine is a much murkier question and it depends a lot on what you decide victory means. If victory is defined as Ukraine fully liberating occupied territory, I don't think that's possible at this point on a purely military basis. Maybe if domestic changes in Russian politics force a shift in Russia's policy that provides an opening for Ukraine, but that doesn't seem to be around the corner. If victory is the preservation of a truly independent, sovereign Ukraine (that is, not one that's nominally independent but functions as a suzerainty of Russia), then I think victory is all but certain. There is no evidence to indicate Russia is capable of even launching a major offensive to take ground, much less successfully, nor has Russia shown an ability to strike and cripple key power centers in Ukraine beyond just throwing tons of missiles and watching most of them get shot down. On the domestic side, the Ukrainian public (as far as I'm aware, I'll defer to our actual Ukrainian members if they have greater insights) doesn't seem to be wearying on its current leadership or on the war, which makes it unlikely that we'll see a capitulation. Surveys consistently show Zelenskyy remains popular and the portion of the population that wants Ukrainian leaders to negotiate an end (while still sizable at 25-33%) remains a minority.

The war isn't liable to end any time soon unless Russians themselves demand a change... and they won't. The Russian public is pliant and submissive and, barring a few courageous dissidents who should be credited for being brave enough to speak out, will meekly follow the Kremlin's line.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:29 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
There is no winning this war for Russia. Those who insist that Russia's holding of Ukrainian territory constitutes a victory are forgetting (or attempting to erase) that Russia very clearly set out with the intention of effectively reimposing its imperial authority over Ukraine, deposing its democratically elected government, and installing a puppet regime. None of that has happened. Its attempt to do so has embarrassed what was once seen as one of the world's premier military powers. It's clear Russia assumed it could basically accomplish what the US did in Iraq when it dismantled the Iraqi military and government in a couple of weeks; instead, it failed to decisively defeat a vastly numerically, technologically, and logistically inferior adversary, and now that Ukraine is receiving significant military and logistical support from the global community, there is no real pathway to military victory for Russia. In the process, it has lost influence in areas it once operated freely in as essentially a post-colonial power; countries in the Asian parts of the former USSR like the Caucasus and Central Asia are no longer afraid to shirk Russian diktats (even if they won't break decisively with Moscow, and some are even approaching that point) and former European holdings like Moldova are receiving greater attention and assistance as they seek to fight Russian disinformation and agitprop efforts.

Whether victory is possible for Ukraine is a much murkier question and it depends a lot on what you decide victory means. If victory is defined as Ukraine fully liberating occupied territory, I don't think that's possible at this point on a purely military basis. Maybe if domestic changes in Russian politics force a shift in Russia's policy that provides an opening for Ukraine, but that doesn't seem to be around the corner. If victory is the preservation of a truly independent, sovereign Ukraine (that is, not one that's nominally independent but functions as a suzerainty of Russia), then I think victory is all but certain. There is no evidence to indicate Russia is capable of even launching a major offensive to take ground, much less successfully, nor has Russia shown an ability to strike and cripple key power centers in Ukraine beyond just throwing tons of missiles and watching most of them get shot down. On the domestic side, the Ukrainian public (as far as I'm aware, I'll defer to our actual Ukrainian members if they have greater insights) doesn't seem to be wearying on its current leadership or on the war, which makes it unlikely that we'll see a capitulation. Surveys consistently show Zelenskyy remains popular and the portion of the population that wants Ukrainian leaders to negotiate an end (while still sizable at 25-33%) remains a minority.

The war isn't liable to end any time soon unless Russians themselves demand a change... and they won't. The Russian public is pliant and submissive and, barring a few courageous dissidents who should be credited for being brave enough to speak out, will meekly follow the Kremlin's line.

I don't think that this is what people mean by "victory." I think people mean that the sides must declare some type of face saving victory move in order to get on a realistic off-ramp form the war.

What I think will happen is that Russia will use whatever territory is captured (once they realize that they too are in a stalemate - it seems that everyone has realized this except for both Putin and Zelenskyy) and "declare" a "victory" in order to save face. Similarly, the US has been strongly telegraphing that Ukraine should consider it's freedom and independence, and potential accession talks to EU (if not to NATO, although that is still quite thorny), also as a "victory" (similar to what you're saying), some eastern provinces who didn't like Kyiv to begin with be-damned.

And I think that at some point this is what will happen. There won't be some democratic upheaval in Russia that will put in place someone who is more sympathetic to Ukraine, because the people who hold power even now and the movers and shakers aren't any better than Putin. Igor Girkin? This is the guy who wants full mobilization of Russian society for a complete and total victory. Putin is much more risk-averse, which is why he hasn't gone all-in. He has gone in only as much as he can without causing a wider societal backlash while also throwing enough meat to the ultranationlists that they don't actively plot against him.

There also won't be an "as long as it takes" military support from the USA, especially if it starts getting red-hot with the Houthis and possibly Iran, and if Israel gets into their back-up war with Hezbollah that Netenyahu and Ben-Gvir have been pining for. The Ukrainians know this. Yes, Sunak just gave a substantial aid package because it sees itself as muscling into the US' turf and sees an opportunity to expand its influence where the US is distracted, but this is short lived. The UK doesn't have a ton of money.

In the end, the strategic objectives of a weakened Russia have worked and have been achieved, as you say. Their influence in the caucasus is waning fast and they can't sell their arms at inflated prices anymore when the Western tech is so much more advanced.

But Ukraine also is delusional if they think that they will dislodge Russia from what they currently hold, much less Crimea. And that is completely independent of what the public "wants" via surveys. I predict 1.5 years from now, the front will barely have moved an inch. And the US will continue to telegraph to the Urkainians that it's time to hang it up and enter serious negotiations, while they will also be sending private communiques to the Russians telling them the same thing.

And both sides will declare some type of "victory" to sell to their domestic audiences, and the war will hopefully be over before too many more people die

TamunRa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:52 am 

Hi there! I am from Ukraine, and the only I can say: Russia is a country where democracy has long been strangled, and no one is waiting for it in Ukraine. All my friends and relatives who live with me in Kyiv are waiting for the death of Putin and his regime.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:43 pm 

that tweet from the South African medic in Ukraine cryingly calling out bullshit on the West...fucking Johnson and his loser crowd...shameful, and I'm ashamed

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18