Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 pm 

Who here collects both vinyl records and CDs? I used to strictly collect CDs but now I am interested in vinyl as well.

What determines whether you buy a certain album in vinyl or CD or both? I'm thinking of collecting "classic" albums in vinyl.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:20 pm 

I'm in the same position as you. I used to just do CDs, but I've started branching out into vinyl as well. I've got a record player coming very soon (already have the amp, pre-amp, etc.) and am stoked to get it all set up.

My mentality is if it's an album I like enough to buy but not enough to listen to frequently, I'll get it on CD. If it's more in the cream of the crop territory, then I'll shell out some more dough for the vinyl. Of course, this is flexible. If the album is in on sale I might go for the vinyl.

Also, if an album has some standout tracks and some filler, I'm more likely to buy it on CD, since you have to listen to an entire side of a vinyl record at a time. Album cover quality factors in a little bit, and if it's an album I prefer to listen to working out or something (like beatdown hardcore) I lean more toward CD since I will spend more time listening to it on my digital music player anyway.

Oh, and I try to find out info about whether the mastering of the vinyl (or at least the album in general) was good, the dynamic range, etc. I think there's a reason a lot of brickwalled tech death albums only come out on CD...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:26 pm 

I collected CDs from 1996-2013. I have over 4000 discs. I've never traded or sold one of them.

I started collecting vinyl VERY sparingly in 2002, just buying old used copies of classics by Thin Lizzy, The Scorpions, Van Halen, Metallica. In 2010, i started getting really into it. in 2013, I switched to just LPs. I have a collection of about 1,200. But in mid 2018, I just stopped buying them. It's not that I don't want to support the artists, but I just have TOO much stuff. I have a crazy DVD/Blu Ray collection as well, and it's just a space issue now. I've had to move it a couple times from place to place and it fucking sucks.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:14 am 

I've collected CDs since 2003 but started collecting vinyl last year after my partner got me a record player for my birthday. I've had a pretty huge CD collection that has gone through periodic culling but I've already gotten over a couple hundred records. Here are my purchasing rules, mostly for vinyl but some apply to CDs as well.

1) Try to stay around the price range of $10-15 for CDs, $20-30 for vinyl
2) Only purchase things that I have already heard and rate highly or have accrued enough personal attachment to
3) Don't purchase anything on vinyl that I already have on CD. Exceptions may be made for egregious remasters or CDs that skip excessively. I will also not turn down a vinyl copy of an album I already have if it is a gift
4) Go for the vinyl over the CD unless it is either not available on vinyl or the album length is more than two sides because three-four sided albums are obnoxious

Chinese_Whispers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:05 am 

I'm in a similar position to most above. I started buying/collecting CDs in the mid-90s (a time when that was really your only option, at least as far as new music went) so my collection is quite extensive at this point. I've only ever had a very limited vinyl collection over the years, mostly second hand stuff that you didn't tend to find on CD (eg. some old jazz and blues records from 60s), but it's only recently that I've been buying more records, but the majority is still CDs mainly due to the price. I guess I have to say I have a pretty similar criteria to Twisted_Psychology above. Usually I'll also have a look in record stores and pick up a record or two when I'm in another city as well, as a bit of a memento because I'm weird like that.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:56 am 

If by "collect" you mean, "purchase", then yeah, I collect CDs and vinyl. I went through a brief period of buying different editions of things and stuff like that but stopped because it wasn't financially feasible. I like to own music and admittedly have less of connection to music that I just stream. If I like it, I want a physical copy. I still mostly buy CDs. I remember the days when vinyl was the cheaper alternative but now prices are outrageous. In 2011, we had a bad basement flood (like waist-high water) and I probably had close to 1000 CDs damaged. I am not lying when I say it still haunts me.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 am 

CD, vinyl, tape, everything goes.

For my absolute favorite bands or releases, I want both formats (tape as well if such exists) but most of the time I just go for what is available. When pre-ordering I tend to go with vinyl, no particular reason behind it. When buying on a whim or stacking the shelves I go for CD more often.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm 

I only Buy CD's because I only have CD playing devicess. No pickups and I'm not think about bying ever. I'd rather spent them on CDs. If There is an album that was pressed only on vinyl I will listen it on my phone through youtube at home.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 am 

I buy CDs of new releases - Unless they're specifically remastered, I tend to find it a bit pointless to buy modern releases on vinyl.

Finding original pressings of stuff from the 1970s / 80s, however, is a great sport - I've enjoyed a whole lot more early Priest, NWOBHM, goth music, punk, etc., by finding the original vinyl releases and hearing it 'first hand'.

Reply to topic