Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diego_DAR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:00 pm 

I think there's no need for a description.

Ok... Considering
-Food (I really like all kinds of meat, except dogs and cats, I would not eat that) I also love spicy (I'm mexican, you know)
-Nice architecture (Palaces castles, churches)
-Nature, well this one just if possible, not that necessary, I know that in big cities there is not much of that.

I have been already in Magdeburg, Dresden, Berlin, Munich, Dresden Hannover and Leipzig.

Last edited by Diego_DAR on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:47 pm 

I'll let you know if you can tell me the best cities in Mexico to visit (considering Canada, the United States and Rotherham as Mexico, too).

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:04 pm 

Diego_DAR wrote:

I think there's. What are you looking for / interested in? :scratch:

Diego_DAR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:25 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I'll let you know if you can tell me the best cities in Mexico to visit (considering Canada, the United States and Rotherham as Mexico, too).

You're not funny man, those countries that I mentioned can be actually considered part of Europe.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

All the countries he mentioned are part of Europe by many very well-established standards.

For example: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... en.svg.png

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:24 pm 

What are you looking for? Nice architecture? What kind of architecture do you like? Good food? What kind of food do you usually like?

Nature? Well cities aren't much for nature, unless you wanna visit big parks and such. London has loads of them.

Dembo wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

All the countries he mentioned are part of Europe by many very well-established standards.

For example: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... en.svg.png

Yeah, not mention they're also Europe in terms of football... as are Kazakhstan and Israel for that matter :-p

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 am 

Food, architecture, nature... gotta go with Al Andulus: Cordoba, Seville, Granada, etc. Best part of Europe.

Diego_DAR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:36 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Food, architecture, nature... gotta go with Al Andulus: Cordoba, Seville, Granada, etc. Best part of Europe.

Thank you so much! I was actually considering that part of Spain

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:00 am 

For kind of a "best of" classic architecture, I recommend Cambridge. Since it's in England it obviously loses on the food point.

Amsterdam is a lot of fun, lots of things to see and do even - or especially - if like me you don't care about weed, it's a must-see place. Also very beautiful cities for architecture, nature, people, everything, are Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger etc, the bigger cities of Norway.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 am 

if you want nice nature I recommend Norway. The fjords are amazing. That country is insanely expensive, however.

Cities? Vienna and Innsbrück in Austria.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:29 am 

As a European, I think that "Europe" is just a huge bracket, and one that's kinda hard to generalize. There are way too many worthwhile places to visit in Europe and they are often really different from each other.

Given your preferences, I would also consider Prague, a city I visit often and gladly. Some awesome churches/castles/buildings to be found there, there's plenty to see and do, the food is good there (meat and beer galore - though not necessarily spicy). And if you know where to look, it doesn't have to be too expensive, either. There was a guy doing a youtube channel about Prague where he points out the tourist traps and gives good value-for-money suggestions. Just search for "honest Prague guide" if you're interested.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:04 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:

Given your preferences, I would also consider Prague, a city I visit often and gladly. Some awesome churches/castles/buildings to be found there, there's plenty to see and do, the food is good there (meat and beer galore - though not necessarily spicy).

Seconding Prague. I haven't been to the city since forever :(

And if that Central European vibe is what suits you, there are other candidates. Vienna should be great as well, though I suspect it's more pricey. If a lesser Prague is not a problem, you can consider Zagreb (Croatia) as well. The spicy + meat combo can be easily satisfied here and there's a nice, old part of the city showing that kind of architecture.

Diego_DAR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 am 

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 am 

Visit the Basque Country and more specifically Donostia(San Sebastian in Spanish) a beautiful and small city, elegant, with great food and nice landscapes. Our province is very small so you can enjoy our mountainous landscapes withoug moving too much.

www.sansebastianturismo.com/
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/arag ... -sebastian
http://www.sansebastianregion.com/

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Diego_DAR wrote:

I think there's. What are you looking for / interested in? :scratch:

Fuck! I NOW see you edited your post for you interests:
Diego_DAR wrote:
Ok... Considering
-Food (I really like all kinds of meat, except dogs and cats, I would not eat that) I also love spicy (I'm mexican, you know)
-Nice architecture (Palaces castles, churches)
-Nature, well this one just if possible, not that necessary, I know that in big cities there is not much of that.
I have been already in Magdeburg, Dresden, Berlin, Munich, Dresden Hannover and Leipzig.

Ok, I have traveled almost all Europe by car:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/planificar-viaje.html
How many time do you plan to be on holidays? Will you be able to move around?

Paganbasque wrote:
Visit the Basque Country and more specifically Donostia(San Sebastian in Spanish) a beautiful and small city, elegant, with great food and nice landscapes. Our province is very small so you can enjoy our mountainous landscapes withoug moving too much.
http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/arag ... -sebastian
http://www.sansebastianregion.com/

Could be (food, architecture and nature) but I think it depends on my last questions.

Baba Luma
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 am 

Belgrade. Beautiful place with an amazing history and all kinds of crazy architecture, it has it all. If you've never been there you are missing out!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm 

Pretty much every capital is worth seeing.
The most memorable cities/regions to me would be north Italy in general, Istanbul, London (for the museums only tbh), Berlin. I've travelled a lot through europe and i quite enjoyed a few regions which i directly wouldnt recommend to somebody who would come over for the first time like Sarajevo or even the balkans in general, Belgium comes to mind here too.
in my opinion overrated are: Paris, Rome, Amsterdam and Athens. The rest of Greece is however very nice.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

I can highly recommend Saint Petersburg, Russia. It's the most beautiful city I have ever visited and I have visited quite a lot in Europe and I'm not Russian and trying to tell you how great my country is. The city has some truly splendid architecture including castles, churches and metro stations. If you like arts and history, you will adore the numerous expositions and museums. It has nice natural spots along the river Newa and is close to the Gulf of Finland. The food is often spicy and very different from what one gets in Western Europe. Local people tend to be very friendly. There aren't too many tourists as in other important European cities. The only downsides are that there are a lot of beggars following tourists in certain public places and that there is a lot of corruption regarding security services and police officers who are trying to get some extra money from tourists.

A place you won't need to visit is Brussels which is among the worst cities I have ever visited. The so-called monuments are not only rather limited but often very similar to famous monuments in France and Germany. There is an elevated amount of beggars who are following you everywhere. Aside of chocolate, fries and mussels, there isn't anything interesting to eat. Nature is rather boring around there since there are neither mountains nor oceans nearby and the main river looks more like a tiny creek. Avoid.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:25 am 

There are so many beautiful and interesting cities that we should recommend to visit in Europe…
However, I should recommend London, Paris, Budapest, Prague.
Switzerland is also a beautiful country to visit with beautiful cities.

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:33 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Pretty much every capital is worth seeing.
The most memorable cities/regions to me would be north Italy in general, Istanbul, London (for the museums only tbh), Berlin. I've travelled a lot through europe and i quite enjoyed a few regions which i directly wouldnt recommend to somebody who would come over for the first time like Sarajevo or even the balkans in general, Belgium comes to mind here too.
in my opinion overrated are: Paris, Rome, Amsterdam and Athens. The rest of Greece is however very nice.

I don't agree about Paris being overrated. Ofc many parts of it are shitty and not shown on postcards since that city is marketed as "the city of love", but the worthy parts of it to see are quite worth it, imo.

Amsterdam... well it's both overrated and underrated. I don't care about weed or seeing hookers at the Red Light District which are the two main reasons people go to Amsterdam. I find Dutch architecture interesting and there's also the van Gogh museum. But ofc most people don't visit Holland for that. It's kinda sad how Holland is mostly known worldwide for weed and hookers. No one wants to go there to see windmills and visit museums, it seems.

Most people dislike Athens, from what I gather. But they all say the Greek islands are very nice.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

The cities I've been to that I've always remembered:

Cologne/Koln (Germany): Amazing Cathedral and some great shops
Laon (France): One of the most beautiful Cathedrals I've seen, on top of a hill that looks over miles and miles of the Northern France. Great Castle Walls too.
York (England): The capital of Viking England, most important historic city of the North of England, one of the most impressive Cathedrals in the world.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:16 am 

kluseba wrote:
I can highly recommend Saint Petersburg, Russia. It's the most beautiful city I have ever visited and I have visited quite a lot in Europe and I'm not Russian and trying to tell you how great my country is. The city has some truly splendid architecture including castles, churches and metro stations. If you like arts and history, you will adore the numerous expositions and museums. It has nice natural spots along the river Newa and is close to the Gulf of Finland. The food is often spicy and very different from what one gets in Western Europe. Local people tend to be very friendly. There aren't too many tourists as in other important European cities. The only downsides are that there are a lot of beggars following tourists in certain public places and that there is a lot of corruption regarding security services and police officers who are trying to get some extra money from tourists.

Uff, you were lucky man, I can´t say the same. Obviously I met some nice people and our guide was very friendly but in general people were rude. Apart from this the city was wonderful, elegant and with many great places to visit.

And probably you can find the most beautiful girls I have ever seen, my godness. :D

Stockholm is another beautiful city, elegant, clean and easy to visit. The sorrounding area is marvellous and I highly recommend a day-trip through Södertörn.

The Baltic capitals(Tallin,Riga,Vilnius) also deserve a visit.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:40 am 

The problem with Athens is that its grimy and smelly. The necropolis is famous and all but tbh there are more interesting classic greek ruins out there most notably in western Turkey like Ephesus and Aphrodisias.

Budapest and Prague are indeed very nice. I also forgot about Vienna. Thats something special as well.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:11 pm 

Reykjavik, Innsbruck, and Halden(nor) are places I visited for both the musical cultures aswell as the scenery and historical backgrounds, either or all 3 i'd recommend to anyone wanting a culturalized trip within Europe outside of the usual norms of Paris, Rome, and Amsterdam.

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:11 pm 

Diego_DAR wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Thank you so much! I was actually considering that part of Spain

In summer those cities are way too hot, I'd rather visit that part of Spain in spring or autumn. Feria de Abril or Semana Santa may be interesting to experience.

Galicia is also worth a visit. Nice landscapes, beautiful cities, excellent food (seafood or meat, it doesn't matter) and wines, and it's really cheap.

From other countries, I'd say Copenhagen, the north of Scotland, maybe Finland around Kuopio in winter, Bavaria, Prague, Vienna, any part of Italy, Transilvania... I don't know, it depends on your personal preferences.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:27 pm 

Here's a vote for Venice.

So many travellers say it's "dirty" or it smells, but I didn't think either of those things. I was there in the spring of 2013, and it was awesome. Food was amazing. Touring the alleys and canals is incredible. It's really a trip to be there. I also got to see a Mozart opera performed in La Fenice.

Spoiler: show

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm 

I'll second the city of Budapest! Magnificent architecture like that awesome parliament building or Matthias church, beautiful metro stations (I love riding the metro!) and great scenery with the city nestled along the Danube. And there's a Manowar themed café/pub/whatever. Didn't have time for a visit though. :annoyed:

For Germany I'd also recommend Potsdam. Rather small but with loads of Prussian culture to explore, most notably palaces like Sanssouci.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:18 pm 

Budapest is great, though it gets more expensive/touristy by the year. the metros are known to catch fire http://budapestbeacon.com/featured-arti ... ares/43053 :D the Manowar "bar" has a great hall of fame and Manowar merch \m/

steer clear of central europe (and scandinavia) from january to april, tho. unless you have a frost fetish.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:55 am 

Torghest666 wrote:

In summer those cities are way too hot, I'd rather visit that part of Spain in spring or autumn. Feria de Abril or Semana Santa may be interesting to experience.

Galicia is also worth a visit. Nice landscapes, beautiful cities, excellent food (seafood or meat, it doesn't matter) and wines, and it's really cheap.

From other countries, I'd say Copenhagen, the north of Scotland, maybe Finland around Kuopio in winter, Bavaria, Prague, Vienna, any part of Italy, Transilvania... I don't know, it depends on your personal preferences.

Spring is the beast season to visit almost every part of Spain. Castile(cities like León, Salamanca and Segovia) is a nice combination of culture, food and architecture. The temperaturas are good in Spring and the landscape is greener than in Summer.

To visit the norther part of Spain(Galicia, Basque Country, Asturias and Cantabria) I would recommend september and october. They are usually drier months with beautiful sunny days. Summer is usualy warm and sticky. Avoid it.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:35 pm 

I just mentioned this on another thread, but I recently visited Lisbon, Portugal. I have visited 13 other countries all over the world, some multiple times, but Lisbon is probably my favorite place I have visited. Cool architecture, delicious food, its right on the water, and the McDonalds sell beer!! :lol: They have a couple record stores there, and metal seems pretty popular there, too.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I just mentioned this on another thread, but I recently visited Lisbon, Portugal. I have visited 13 other countries all over the world, some multiple times, but Lisbon is probably my favorite place I have visited. Cool architecture, delicious food, its right on the water, and the McDonalds sell beer!! :lol: They have a couple record stores there, and metal seems pretty popular there, too.

I thought McD selling beer was common throughout Europe? I guess it's kinda mindblowing that you can drink beer from a plastic cup on the street as well.

You didn't think many buildings were poorly maintained and looekd a tad decadent? That's a common negative point people say about this city.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:40 pm 

aloof wrote:
steer clear of central europe (and scandinavia) from january to april, tho. unless you have a frost fetish

I find it rather funny how many people assume that most everyone's keen on hot weather. I, for one, feel much better during the cooler seasons. Lately, temperatures have been around -5°C around here, and going for nocturnal walks is just fine for me when it's that cold.
On the other hand, when temps rise above 20°C in late spring, it's getting too warm for me. 25°C is a threshold for proto-pain...two summers ago, we've had a summer period of 35°C here, and I felt like dying, liquefied in everflowing sweat.

I'd hate everyone who recommended me to "go there when it's summer and warm blabla..", for that is the very opposite of joy to me. These winters I welcome, and frost makes for nice landscapes and less humans crossing my paths.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:

I thought McD selling beer was common throughout Europe? I guess it's kinda mindblowing that you can drink beer from a plastic cup on the street as well.

You didn't think many buildings were poorly maintained and looekd a tad decadent? That's a common negative point people say about this city.
I'm not too sure about the beer at McD in Europe thing. Of all the places I have been, I've seen very little Europe. But you guys have Super Bock EVERYWHERE. :lol: It's like the Bud Light of Portugal. Except it tastes better.

Maybe some of the buildings looked a little run down, but it felt like it was part of the city's charm, in my eyes. You have to think, some of the buildings there are older than my country. I thought it was a beautiful place, and I would really like to come back one day.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:04 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I'm not too sure about the beer at McD in Europe thing. Of all the places I have been, I've seen very little Europe. But you guys have Super Bock EVERYWHERE. :lol: It's like the Bud Light of Portugal. Except it tastes better.

Maybe some of the buildings looked a little run down, but it felt like it was part of the city's charm, in my eyes. You have to think, some of the buildings there are older than my country. I thought it was a beautiful place, and I would really like to come back one day.

Eh I'm not so sure about that. Sagres is just as popular as Super Bock is. Not sure which one is more popular. Cafés and restaurants only have one of them, kinda like the Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi rivalry. I'm not a big fan of Sagres myself. It's a bit too bland and bitter for my taste. I prefer Bock myself, but it doesn't hold a candle to the best Belgian and German beers I've had. We're not a beer country. Super Bock is OK for what it is(a cheap over commercialised lager). Btw, I've always found Bock a bit strong for a lager even though it's only about 5% ABV. But I dunno, when I have Carlsberg or Heineken it's almost like I'm drinking juice. I can have a few Carlsbergs or Heinekens and feel normal the next morning, but a few Super Bocks get me drunk. Maybe it's the different amount of barley and malt in it in comparison to other lagers?

And btw, a beer called Super Bock being only about 5,2% or so in ABV sounds silly if you speak German.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
aloof wrote:
steer clear of central europe (and scandinavia) from january to april, tho. unless you have a frost fetish

I find it rather funny how many people assume that most everyone's keen on hot weather. I, for one, feel much better during the cooler seasons. Lately, temperatures have been around -5°C around here, and going for nocturnal walks is just fine for me when it's that cold.
On the other hand, when temps rise above 20°C in late spring, it's getting too warm for me. 25°C is a threshold for proto-pain...two summers ago, we've had a summer period of 35°C here, and I felt like dying, liquefied in everflowing sweat.

I'd hate everyone who recommended me to "go there when it's summer and warm blabla..", for that is the very opposite of joy to me. These winters I welcome, and frost makes for nice landscapes and less humans crossing my paths.

you'd fall under the "frost fetish" exception that I made sure to note :) the average traveller will end up staying in their hotel room watching tv and ordering room service and complain that they didn't get to see the sights...

on a sidenote, I did not mention anything about summer. I also dislike temps over 25oC...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:27 pm 

Why travel Y'r'p and eat at McDonalds? It's really not that cheap here.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Why travel Y'r'p and eat at McDonalds? It's really not that cheap here.

I've had McDonalds in a few of my travels. Sometimes it's just way more affordable than the other eating places in the area you are at the moment.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

Rome. There are bigger cities, there are more vibrant cities, and there are cities with more drinking options than just coffee bars and restaurants, but there is no other city where you can just turn the corner and see Trajan's Column, the Forum, the Pantheon, the Baths Of Caracalla, the Claudian Aqueduct, innumerable temple remains, the Imperial Palace, the Colosseum, the huge space where the Circus Maximus was, etc. etc. etc. There is no other city where you can go into the basement level of a restaurant and find you're standing in the vaults of the Theatre of Pompey, or where you can go into a 9th Century church and go down a level into a 4th Century church, then go down another level and you're in a Roman street [complete with a Mithraeum]. You turn a corner and some random fragment of a building from the 1st Century AD or older is just there, incorporated into the daily life of the city.

And then there's also the amount of architecture and art the churches have. One relatively small church has a Van Dyck painting of the crucifixion just propped on a table in the vestry. There is nowhere else like Rome. Visit at least once.

Other places I can recommend - Hamburg, York, London, Salisbury, some of the old Bavarian walled towns/cities are nice too.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm 

Some of us are lucky enough to live in York. :) Even if we have to work in Doncaster. :(

McDonalds might be significantly cheaper than a restaurant in, say, Scandinavia (where a coffee and a rutabaga sandwich might cost you what would be a week's wages in Southern Europe) but here a McDonalds meal would probably set you back at least £5 for which price I could get a lunch at a restaurant (one course at lunch) for £6 or so.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:01 pm 

id like to add that any reasonable traveller would want to try to eat local food.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next