* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Expedience wrote:
I wasn't, but okay let's talk about Obscura. I find a good test for 'wank' is to see how an album would sound with other instruments. Play Obscura with violins and double bass and I'd bet a good number of its defenders would, if heard for the first time, call it 'arty hipster chamber crap'. Likewise, most music professors would refer to it as simply 'crap'.

Good thing it wasn't written for violins, then. :roll: Or music professors. That's the most absurd criticism of a death metal record, or possibly any piece of music, I've ever heard in my life. :lol:

This is what I was getting at. Music professors would say 95% of the music we talk about here sucks on their criteria.

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:16 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
stevetehgreate wrote:
As for a bnad that i hate but everyone else likes,i would say Slayer.Their music for some odd reason is still held as the fucking Holy Grail of Metal and "THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MEN",when in reallity they just play cookie-thrash metal whith faster tempos.

I can see not liking them, even if they're my favorite metal band (even the recent stuff is alright to me), but to call them "cookie-thrash" is a bit much when you add the views of their contemporaries into the equation.

Seconding Queen. That's a band I liked when I was a little kid but quickly grew out of. I can't fault their songwriting or Freddie's talent/charisma, but they always came across as too "polished," I guess. I like my rock to be a bit dirtier.

Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and all the other arena rock giants of the late 70s/early 80s are terrible. One or two good songs mixed with a bunch of overproduced garbage. The recent (within the last decade) infatuation with them perplexes me.

Yeah i think i went too far with the"cookie-thrash" statement.I mean,we do live in a world where pizza-thrash exists,so i take that back.I also agree about the rock bands you mentioned especialy Journey.I can't tell you how many times i have heard "Don't Stop Believin'" that song drove me nuts!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3