Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DaLodger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 am 

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/14/europ ... index.html

With this terror attack, plus the attack on november 2015 in Paris....does France should get used to live under the constant threat of barbarian terrorists living within its borders, or is there any chance that France hasn't fallen yet and there is a solution for all of this madness?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 am 

With BBC News proclaiming it a nice attack and asking who the nice attacker was, this attacks the quality of today's journalism in regard of such attacks a hundred times more than any such attack ever did before. They study journalism at university for years and don't even stop a second to think that might be bad wording before they slip on the drool of their sensationalism?

Now after that attack in Florida I made the comparison to the Satan Rides the Media documentary on Norwegian black metal, and how the media was such a major contributing factor to the continuation and escalation of the crimes, and how this is exactly how IS works in Europe these days - our media are their propaganda tool, and it's already been obvious to most people that they delight in being just that (it sells), but now it should be obvious to everyone, or don't you think this is a NICE ATTACK?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:27 am 

DaLodger wrote:
With this terror attack, plus the attack on november 2015 in Paris....does France should get used to live under the constant threat of barbarian terrorists living within its borders, or is there any chance that France hasn't fallen yet and there is a solution for all of this madness?

1. Nothing I've read has confirmed that it's a terror attack, and even your link only mentions that they don't rule out that it was.
2. Constant threat is probably out of the question, since people tend to be able to live their lives after attacks and even long-lasting warfare of the conventional kind.
3. Talking about how France hasn't fallen yet suggests that stuff like that could make France fall... Way to be melodramatic. Do you consider every psycho attack in the US as somethig that motivates a question like "is there any chance that the US hasn't fallen yet?"

Latest info on the guns and grenades that had been found in the truck, they turned out to be fake ones.

Last edited by Dembo on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:27 am 

"Nice" to wake up in these kind of news. Might happen here too sooner than later. They can never know if someone plans these kind of things alone in his mind. No matter how hard they investigate.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 am 

The one who drove the truck was a 31 one year old French-Tunisian male. I have not read a confirmation of his ideological/religious allegiances, but if this is the work of ISIS, then this month has been rather awful for the world. Two horrible attacks.

In Baghdad on the 3rd of July, 300+ civilians were killed by two suicide bombers from ISIS, one killed hundreds by trapping people inside a burning shopping centre.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 am 

raumr wrote:
I have not read a confirmation of his ideological/religious allegiances, but if this is the work of ISIS, then this month has been rather awful for the world.

Does something being awful depend on what organisation, religion or ideology, if any, are connected to it?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:58 am 

Dembo wrote:
raumr wrote:
I have not read a confirmation of his ideological/religious allegiances, but if this is the work of ISIS, then this month has been rather awful for the world.

Does something being awful depend on what organisation, religion or ideology, if any, are connected to it?

Sorry, I worded myself awkwardly. I meant awful things related to ISIS. I know they are in war and things happen all the time, but the Baghdad attacks and this Nice attack has struck me as especially awful.

No, it would be awful not matter who did it, but it if it is ISIS then the accumulated awfulness would be great on such a short time span.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 am 

God damnit. France is getting a lot of shit right now. I wish the attacks would stop.

This terrorist attack proves that everyone can attack with anything, anywhere. Quite a problem they have.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:24 am 

Now terrorists found a new way of committing terrorist acts without using any bombs. How did a big truck manage to go in there and run over dozens of people without anyone stopping it, anyway? Didn't they have a lot of security there at the time?

At this rate, French people will eventually be afraid of stepping outside their homes. What are Hollande and the French intelligence services even doing?

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:37 pm 

Festivus wrote:
At this rate, French people will eventually be afraid of stepping outside their homes.

Not yet...
Festivus wrote:
What are Hollande and the French intelligence services even doing?

Hollande is an awful president, but to be honest, what do you expect him to do exactly?

The country is already in state of emergency, which gives extended power to the police. There are soldiers in many public places (mainly railway and subway stations, and airports though). Some laws have been voted about extended suspect surveillance, both IRL and online. "Radicalized" people are on house arrest with signing 3 times a day at the local police station. And nearly every week, there are arrests or trials, related to islamist terrorism...

As for the truck driver scumbag in Nice, serious media sources have confirmed he is Tunisian, not French-Tunisian. The guy was not known to be an islamist, if he was ever. I don't know exactly what to think about it, but the more time without a Daech revendication, the more I think it might be the act of a lunatic (as in most US shootings).

[ :nazi:] And for the OP, it's Bastille and not Bastile... [ / :nazi:]
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:57 pm 

Normally I just check CNN once or twice a day to see how fucked up the world is, but I happened to see this on the TVs at the gym last night while I was getting ready to leave. All I saw at the time was 'truck driver runs into huge crowd and shoots at police' just shaking my head. This morning the first article I saw about it was talking about how "Nice" the attack was and I was just like are you fucking serious? These mass killings are all too normal all over the world right now. I think many people are starting to purposely avoid large crowded gatherings, celebrations, or anything showing support for any sort of.. well anything. I personally don't really want to go anywhere these days besides work, home, and my little local hang outs (I feel safe enough at most metal shows). I hate to say it, but airports and other places that have massive amounts of people moving through should start having security/xray checks before you even enter the buildings. It's a lot harder (impossible) to prevent someone from just using a car or truck as a weapon though.

jcp54
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:20 pm 

I've read that the reason for these attacks is that the French do no try to include North African/Middle Eastern/SubSaharan citizens. These marginalized minorities are forced to lash out because French society excludes them.

So, I ask those of you who are French or have spent a significant amount of time in France: Are the French hostile to others who are not like them? Do the French marginalize people who are not French (I don't quite know what that would be)?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:30 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
This morning the first article I saw about it was talking about how "Nice" the attack was and I was just like are you fucking serious?

Uh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice#French_Nice

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:01 pm 

You must really think I'm stupid if you think I didn't know the name of the city was Nice.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:14 pm 

No hard feelings but that's definitely how your phrasing came off. :P Did you mean that news stations were making a pun off the name Nice?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:21 pm 

Yessir, that's what I meant. I read an article earlier using Nice as an adjective for everything, it seems to have been taken down.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:27 am 

jcp54 wrote:
I've read that the reason for these attacks is that the French do no try to include North African/Middle Eastern/SubSaharan citizens. These marginalized minorities are forced to lash out because French society excludes them.

So, I ask those of you who are French or have spent a significant amount of time in France: Are the French hostile to others who are not like them? Do the French marginalize people who are not French (I don't quite know what that would be)?

Well, the answer is quite complicated (and far from definitive, that's only how I see things).

North African countries of Algeria, Morroco and Tunisia are former french colonies. They got their independance in the 50's / 60's, the last being Algeria with its independance war (that was far from pretty, let's just say that french veterans later sold their "skills" to South American dictatures). Since then, there have been North African immigration in France. It was (still is) mainly unskilled workers, or as media call them, economic immigrants. Those people ended living in poor/popular urban areas, which were quite mixed (including French, Portuguese, Italians, Polish, etc.). There was some integration in the French society, but all those who "succeeded" left those neighborhood for better places. So, around the '80s / '90s, those poor urban areas turned to some kind of ghettoes and there was a rise of communautarism, mainly in Black and North Africans former citizens (who, for the most part, ARE French, by birth on the French soil).

So to answer your question, no, all French are not hostile, as not every white US citizen is a KKK member. But there are some, and the Front National is using immigration (and mainly the one from North Africa) as a scarecrow. One should remember that Jean-Marie Le Pen is a vet from the Algerian independance war.

But one thing is clear: integration of North African immigration failed in many case, whereas integration from other origins succeeded (hell, I'm half-French half-Italian and consider myself French above all). But it depends of location: I talk to "North Africans" everyday (friends, at work, at my kids school), but those are the integrated ones, the ones who speak French and have a job, not the ones from the ghetto. Most of them are muslims (not all, quite a few atheists among them) and we get along well.

Why did it failed? I'm pretty sure that the French society / governement of the '60s and '70s have a huge responsibility in the situation, as those immigrants were not given the same chance of integration in the society. For instance, according to wikipedia, 43% of Algerians in France in 1964 were living in shantytowns... which were remnants of WW2.

Anyway, this is a complex situation.

Sorry for the wall of text, I let out my inner-Derigin :-D

my trade list

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:37 pm 

France is calling all willing citizens to join the reserve forces?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:17 am 

Festivus wrote:
How did a big truck manage to go in there and run over dozens of people without anyone stopping it, anyway?

A motorcyclist died trying to do just that. Stopping a truck is hard, man.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:34 am 

droneriot wrote:

AFAIK, no.
But reserve forces might be used in surveillance operations.

my trade list

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:08 am 

droneriot wrote:

It is, from what I read in other forums. Former military and former police officers, reserves and voluntaries.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:21 am 

Festivus wrote:
Now terrorists found a new way of committing terrorist acts without using any bombs. How did a big truck manage to go in there and run over dozens of people without anyone stopping it, anyway? Didn't they have a lot of security there at the time?

At this rate, French people will eventually be afraid of stepping outside their homes. What are Hollande and the French intelligence services even doing?

I hope not, I think French are not cowards and they will continue with their normal lifes.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:26 am 

raumr wrote:
The one who drove the truck was a 31 one year old French-Tunisian male. I have not read a confirmation of his ideological/religious allegiances, but if this is the work of ISIS, then this month has been rather awful for the world. Two horrible attacks.

In Baghdad on the 3rd of July, 300+ civilians were killed by two suicide bombers from ISIS, one killed hundreds by trapping people inside a burning shopping centre.

Sadly it seems that (almost) no one gave a shit to those poor civilians in Iraq. They speak everyday about a clash of civilizations but people who belong to chia Islam are the first victims, with hundred of people being killed.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:31 am 

Festivus wrote:

Its totally imposible to control every single person. This is the biggest strenght of DAESH(stop using the term "ISIS" please), they have created the "do it yourself" terrorism where you only need a vehicle or even less to kill a lot people. No fear of dying is the only requirement.

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:45 am 

I think France's government has no balls.
We should fight Daesh in Syria and Iraq, supporting syrian and iraqi troops.
There are a few countries in Middle-East that started double dealing since several years : Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey. We should fuck'em off, politically speaking.
They got oil but we too got economic means of pressure as well ; Qatar has a bunch of economic interests in France.

BUT meanwhile all we are capable of is to whine, to be prostrate with grief, to show support on Facebook with "all our thoughts for [insert a name of a city]", to light up some buildings, to make hearts with our hands, and to make all these fucking tearful drawings.... waiting for the next attack and repeat the process.

The French intelligence is providing a good work, they aborted several attacks, but they cannot do everything by themselves cause the faucet stays open : geopolitically our nation isnt what it used to be, it has become a scared little puppy.

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:55 am 

our nation isnt what it used to be
it has become a scared little puppy

wow, that would make good lyrics for a thrash song, right? :D

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:10 am 

cacaman wrote:
our nation isnt what it used to be
it has become a scared little puppy

wow, that would make good lyrics for a thrash song, right? :D

Absolutely off-topic but do you know that your nickname translates to "shitman" in Spanish? :D

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 am 

That is the case in french as well.

uh... what did i just say? :ugh:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:18 am 

cacaman wrote:
I think France's government has no balls.
We should fight Daesh in Syria and Iraq, supporting syrian and iraqi troops.
There are a few countries in Middle-East that started double dealing since several years : Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey. We should fuck'em off, politically speaking.
They got oil but we too got economic means of pressure as well ; Qatar has a bunch of economic interests in France.

BUT meanwhile all we are capable of is to whine, to be prostrate with grief, to show support on Facebook with "all our thoughts for [insert a name of a city]", to light up some buildings, to make hearts with our hands, and to make all these fucking tearful drawings.... waiting for the next attack and repeat the process.

The French intelligence is providing a good work, they aborted several attacks, but they cannot do everything by themselves cause the faucet stays open : geopolitically our nation isnt what it used to be, it has become a scared little puppy.

Well I dont know, France is suffering those attacks because they have taken a bigger role in the attacks against Daesh. So I wouldnt say that the government has no balls.

And about the countries you mention. Sadly countries like Saudi Arabia(because of oil) and Turkey(because of their geopolitical situation) are very important and I cant see an easy way to "fuck´em off". Saudi Arabia is the biggest problem IMO, because its well known that they support an extreme view of Islam and give money to terrorists groups.

cacaman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:36 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Well I dont know, France is suffering those attacks because they have taken a bigger role in the attacks against Daesh. So I wouldnt say that the government has no balls.

They got no balls cause they just want to involve themselves "a little bit", "just enough to say we are fighting daesh", but man, they just tiptoe in the pediluvium instead of diving into the swimming pool with Iraqis and Syrians. (well, i bet the word "pediluvium" has not been used in ages in this forum, if it has been ever :D that's badass)
And the reason why France is suffering those attacks may be not what you think, i mean, not exactly.

France is a symbol of secularism, of "intellectual enlightment" (with famous 18th century guys like Voltaire, Diderot, Montesquieu, Rousseau - Germany did the same kind of literature work some years earlier) ; the french language and culture seem to be hated by islamists, and if it wasn't for the bombings, France would be affected the same way. Islamists have already threaten us when the french law forbade the wearing of the islamic headscarf in public schools many years ago. We are a target whatever we do. So all in all, let's really get involved into this war against daesh. I mean, really.

Paganbasque wrote:
And about the countries you mention. Sadly countries like Saudi Arabia(because of oil) and Turkey(because of their geopolitical situation) are very important and I cant see an easy way to "fuck´em off"..

No "esay way", sure.
But there's a way. That asks sacrifices from french ppl.
What will it take for us to be ready for it, that's the question.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:22 am 

cacaman wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

They got no balls cause they just want to involve themselves "a little bit", "just enough to say we are fighting daesh", but man, they just tiptoe in the pediluvium instead of diving into the swimming pool with Iraqis and Syrians. (well, i bet the word "pediluvium" has not been used in ages in this forum, if it has been ever :D that's badass)
And the reason why France is suffering those attacks may be not what you think, i mean, not exactly.

France is a symbol of secularism, of "intellectual enlightment" (with famous 18th century guys like Voltaire, Diderot, Montesquieu, Rousseau - Germany did the same kind of literature work some years earlier) ; the french language and culture seem to be hated by islamists, and if it wasn't for the bombings, France would be affected the same way. Islamists have already threaten us when the french law forbade the wearing of the islamic headscarf in public schools many years ago. We are a target whatever we do. So all in all, let's really get involved into this war against daesh. I mean, really.

Paganbasque wrote:
And about the countries you mention. Sadly countries like Saudi Arabia(because of oil) and Turkey(because of their geopolitical situation) are very important and I cant see an easy way to "fuck´em off"..

No "esay way", sure.
But there's a way. That asks sacrifices from french ppl.
What will it take for us to be ready for it, that's the question.

Well, I know that those politics have been severely criticized by radicals and its indeed a good reason to make France a target. But this is not something new so why they have decided to attack your land with a stronger ferocity in recent times?, because of France decided to have more important/active role in Syria and of course, in Libya(in a recent past).

Spain has also been a threaten land during a long time but the land is not taking an active role in Syria(well, no one gives a f*ck about what Spain does haha). I aso think the Spanish intelligence agency and police must be doing a good job too.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
And about the countries you mention. Sadly countries like Saudi Arabia(because of oil) and Turkey(because of their geopolitical situation) are very important and I cant see an easy way to "fuck´em off". Saudi Arabia is the biggest problem IMO, because its well known that they support an extreme view of Islam and give money to terrorists groups.

It would no problem for our (the West's) secret services to install a puppet regime in Venezuela and replace Saudi oil with their much bigger supplies. Unfortunately Saudi Arabia is important for geopolitical reasons as well, 'cause evil Ayatollah and all.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:34 am 

droneriot wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

It would no problem for our (the West's) secret services to install a puppet regime in Venezuela and replace Saudi oil with their much bigger supplies. Unfortunately Saudi Arabia is important for geopolitical reasons as well, 'cause evil Ayatollah and all.

I dont like the Ayatollahs but I ask myself who is worse. At least Iran is battling Daesh.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 am 

Besides, starving Venezuelans would probably appreciate even a puppet regime over Maduro.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 pm 

Or, y'all could just buy Canadian oil. No need for wars, covert ops to install friendly dictators, or any of that shit.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:21 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Or, y'all could just buy Canadian oil. No need for wars, covert ops to install friendly dictators, or any of that shit.

Dude, they are talking about "America, fuck yeah!"
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:45 pm 

"Looks like it's something bigger." -Munich police

Reply to topic