* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:49 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
rexxz wrote:
The Hexenkraft debut self-titled EP is out now! 4 tracks of high-energy, laser blasting Satanic darksynth. Check it:

https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com/album/hexenkraft

So, months ago I paid for the preorder and just waited patiently. Today I see this post to go and get it, and I'm only getting options to buy it again. I figure "oh, it's because I'm not logged in". I sat there for ten minutes, trying every username I use all over the internet, nothing is working. Neither of my emails are being recognized either. I'm sitting here screaming horseshit because I know I've bought plenty of shit on bandcamp and it always shows me my damn collection whenever I purchase something, so something is clearly wrong and I can't figure out what the fuck it is.

Those ten minutes pass before I realize "oh wait, maybe you can buy shit without an account and that "collection" is just the recent purchases from my paypal". So I go check my email and sure enough, there it is, waiting for me.

I'm listening to it now and I'm a much happier man.

Glad you got it sorted out, I would have been pissed as well. If you weren't able to get the download I definitely would have sent you a code for it. Thanks again for your support!

BTW if anyone has twitter, follow me https://twitter.com/Hexenkraft

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:59 pm 

Yeah no worries, it was my own fault. Good stuff though! Like I mentioned on the previous page it's the exact kind of synthwave I tend to prefer, what with the generally heightened pace and throbbing adrenaline. It's not quite the constant outrun themes of something like Vector Hold that I love so much, but it's really dark and even manages to portray genuine filth which is impressive so I definitely like it a lot.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:02 pm 

I know what you mean. I wanted to showcase a little bit of everything for this debut, and sort of see what works and what doesn't. The closest to an outrun style track I have on here is #2 which is the most straightforward and blunt piece in the collection. I'll be doing something cool for Halloween next month and after that I'll start work on the first full length album.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:04 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I'll be doing something cool for Halloween next month

Monster Mash cover or I demand a refund.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:41 am 

How come I haven't posted in this thread yet?! Really?!

What can I say that hasn't been said already? I'm really in love with this genre/movement because of the 80s vibe it has to it. I really like 80s synthesizers. This sort of music makes me travel to Mega Man levels and episodes of 80s anime such as Kimagure Orange Road and Bubblegum Crisis.

Favorites? Miami Nights 1984, Lazer Hawk, Mitch Murder, Lueur Verte, Maethelvin, Perturbator, Burgeoisie. Arcade High seems pretty good as well as does Timecop1983.

I'm gonna leave a personal favorite of mine:

TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:47 am 

I haven't gone too deep into it but damnit I love this one!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:41 pm 

I posted this in the FFA already a couple days ago but if you're interested, I made a Facebook page. Like me and keep up with all the random BS and news I'll be posting: https://www.facebook.com/HexenkraftMusic/

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm 

Yo, just posted this. Download my heavy, diabolic industrial remix of Raining Blood by legendary thrash metal band Slayer! https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com/track/s ... raft-remix

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:56 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Monster Mash cover or I demand a refund.

Pay up.

Anyway, it's fine I guess, but I'm learning the more I listen to these things that I just don't care for synthwave covers of metal songs all that much. The part at 0:43 sounds super awkward, like the drums and riff are totally off sync. Otherwise I like it well enough, the repeated intro works really well but the fast riffs just don't mesh right to me. Oh well, gotta chalk that one up to personal preference.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:50 am 

I'd call it more industrial/techno than anything else. The drums and guitars definitely are in synch, that's unusual you'd think that it doesn't. Thanks for listening!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:19 am 

BastardHead wrote:
The part at 0:43 sounds super awkward, like the drums and riff are totally off sync.

No off-sync there, but I sort of get what you meant by that statement though I don't hear it. Personally I think it's a badass beat, and gives the riff a new dimension to its infectiousness. Techno artists and metal bands alike should have that shit more often.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 pm 

Wasn't aware of the genre before, thanks everyone for posting all the awesome stuff. I'll definitely explore this more, it's right up my alley.

Edit: someone mentioned the Tron Legacy soundtrack. After listening to some of this stuff, it seems to me that that one would belong in this genre, too, right? The Dance With The Dead stuff in particular reminded me a lot of it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm 

No, Tron Legacy would not be synthwave. It's a hybrid orchestral-electronic score that doesn't neatly fit into any genre. You're just hearing some classic analog synth sounds which the genre uses a lot.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:55 pm 

rexxz wrote:
No, Tron Legacy would not be synthwave. It's a hybrid orchestral-electronic score that doesn't neatly fit into any genre. You're just hearing some classic analog synth sounds which the genre uses a lot.

Ah, OK. Kinda forgot about the orchestral elements. I still don't think the similarity is just in the synth sounds. Some of the stuff I heard here makes use of that same sidechained compression trick that Daft Punk is so fond of, for example.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 pm 

Yeah but sidechain compression on the kick has been ubiquitous in just about every genre of electronic music since the 2000s... Trance, house, EBM, you name it, they use it.

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:16 pm 

I really want to get into synthwave but i don't know where to start,anybody got an idea on whats a good band to start with?
(looking for some heavy stuff)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:19 pm 

For heavier synthwave, or as many people like to call it, "darksynth", there's only a handful of acts that do anything convincingly dark, heavy and good.

By far the most popular is Perturbator, but his label-mates GosT and Dan Terminus both do great work as well in that subgenre. You might also like Carpenter Brut, Waveshaper and Megadrive.

I also happen to have my own little project which you might like. It leans heavily on Satanic imagery and themes, with a fusion of cyberpunk occultism.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 pm 

Everything rexxz said plus Vector Hold, who isn't quite as dark or evil as Perturbator as GosT, but he lays on super chunky synths and keeps it really heavy most of the time.

stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:57 am 

rexxz wrote:
For heavier synthwave, or as many people like to call it, "darksynth", there's only a handful of acts that do anything convincingly dark, heavy and good.

By far the most popular is Perturbator, but his label-mates GosT and Dan Terminus both do great work as well in that subgenre. You might also like Carpenter Brut, Waveshaper and Megadrive.

I also happen to have my own little project which you might like. It leans heavily on Satanic imagery and themes, with a fusion of cyberpunk occultism.

i forgot to add that i can also dig some atmosheric and spacey stuff too :)

Secret Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:44 pm 

Really love Perturbator and some GosT, Mega Drive and Magic Sword.

Anyone know of any more chill or upbeat stuff in this genre?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:02 am 

Secret Glory wrote:
Anyone know of any more chill or upbeat stuff in this genre?

Dreamwave. [linkylink]

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:29 am 

Tommy 86!

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:50 am 

i love synthwave. perturbator's sexualizer ep has got to be up there with my favourite albums, it's just so buzzing and full of energy

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:46 pm 

Check this out.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:44 pm 

Retro SovietWave. Just finished this game and it has a ridiculously solid OST from Fixions.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:44 pm 

Some John Carpenter inspired goodness for anyone who is into his music:

https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com/track/p ... f-darkness

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 am 

I hardly know anything about these genres, and I'm very well aware that genre tags are often used too generously. But since this album sounds great and has both synthwave and retrowave in its tags, I'll post it here:

https://confrontational.bandcamp.com/al ... m-of-night

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:51 am 

Holy shit, rexxz, this is my favorite you've done so far. When things kick into gear around 1:40 is just perfect. Congrats on NewRetroWave pimping your shit!

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Holy shit, rexxz, this is my favorite you've done so far. When things kick into gear around 1:40 is just perfect. Congrats on NewRetroWave pimping your shit!

Ha, pretty cool this made its way on the forum before I even had a chance to post about it. Thanks for listening! They might be posting some more soon from my EP coming out next month.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:49 am 

how y'all feel on Electric Dragon?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 am 

He's pretty cool. I linked up with him on twitter before he even put out his first release, too. Might do a collab in the future at some point! You might dig Volkor X as well.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 pm 

Lately I've been spinning a shitload of Robert Parker. Pretty much every album he's done has a lot to offer, but in general he excels at really funky bass and an overall strong groove. What's even crazier is he's apparently a doctor IRL, yet still finds time to kill it at synthwave.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 pm 

Ah I've seen him floating around too, but haven't listened much yet. That is incredibly cool that he's a a doctor. I'd call myself Doctor Synth or something cheesy-cool like that, lol.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:42 am 

Lazerhawk is my guilty secret. So good for driving to!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am 

Lazerhawk is one of the best in the genre, though it seems the new album is going in a more generic, mellow dreamwave-y direction.

Cheers for that Electric Dragon rec. Shit's fucking badass.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:40 pm 

LazerHawk has always been of the more dreamy variety of synthwave, (I guess the subgenre would be dreamwave).

I've basically bought like $200 of synthwave stuff in the last several weeks from BandCamp. One of them was Glitch Black, which is like some sort of techno hardstyle synthwave that's absolute bonkers and high energy. It's similar to Rexxz's project.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:50 pm 

Nah, his earlier stuff like Visitors was much less so. I still think Visitors is his best album and I'd like it if he returned to that space-y, almost Mike Oldfield-minimalist-prog sound, but I think the latest album is still very cool. I definitely like it better than Redline, which is mediocre to my ears.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:37 pm 

Man I love Visitors. That Glitch Black stuff sounds interesting, very big rave techno influence for sure.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm 

Visitors did very little for me. I haven't heard Redline, yet. I'm more partial to Skull & Shark.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:18 pm 

Huge fan of the genre, from the darker stuff like Perturbator to the more relaxed 80's Miami stuff. My favorites are VHS Glitch, Dynatron, Miami Nights 1984, Perturbator, Mega Drive, Carpenter Brut.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next