Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:19 pm 

this is a more prickly topic than religion, HB :)

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:09 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Opsius is just jealous because Born Again is better than any Tony Martin album. :D

STOP BREAKING MY HEART!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:

OK here's a question: Why were all the pre-2007 forum posts deleted?

General sentiment, from what I recall, was that the forum was taking up too much server space. Though, in all honesty, I really wish the purge hadn't happened. There's a lot of important information, regarding why some bands were accepted or rejected, or some policies came about, and so on, that are lost to history. We will just never know and now have to try to reverse engineer why something was done.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 pm 

Derigin wrote:
General sentiment, from what I recall, was that the forum was taking up too much server space.

Um no, that would hardly make a significant difference. I don't really remember how the posts were lost, to be honest. Probably some forum update screwed things up, or there was a fuck-up with the database... The hosting at that time was not terribly reliable.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:58 pm 

Remembered it wrong. It was backup size not server space. And, mixed with bugs on that backup, of course. :P

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 pm 

Can we just stop to marvel for a second that this once existed on the Metal Archives? :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 pm 

Man I almost forgot about that shit. Fuck.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 am 

The users who just contribute like crazy to the site and never post in the forum hardly have always intrigued me--Tiaca (username hard to remember to spell--the really long Aztec most badass username fellow who updates like crazy), GVOLTT, Piotr, Carter (former/retired), BlackenedZeroth, Drowned, etc., and several more.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 pm 

Drowned posts a lot here though.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:36 pm 

You're right. I see my clock is just bad.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:39 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

What was the story behind this again? Just a troll submission that slipped through?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 pm 

Nah ShadowOfDeath was a 14 year old bedroom black metal kid that posted on this forum back in the day and was pretty much a proto-Noktorn.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:52 pm 

His Apocalypse stuff is probably some of the worst crap I've ever heard.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:54 pm 

This?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Apocalypse/19770

If so, I can already tell this will be glorious. :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:56 pm 

Yep, that's the one.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:31 pm 

ksevile wrote:
Tiaca (username hard to remember to spell--the really long Aztec most badass username fellow who updates like crazy)

Tlacaxipehualiztli. Really nice fellow. He's from Poland and loves Mexican Death Metal. Which is a wise thing to do, kids.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:35 pm 

in my opinion all custom titles not given by nightgaunt or napero are false and must be burned

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:27 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
in my opinion all custom titles not given by nightgaunt or napero are false and must be burned

Baiting us to get a title are ye? Well I won't bite!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:28 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:

I loved Nightgaunt's play on his title for whiney posters. It was something like "Zinfandel, Moscato" etc. That one, despite it's dry humor always made me laugh.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:14 pm 

How did updates to band pages work pre-V2? I never actually did anything worthwhile here until after V2 went live, so I never had any points, but were updates and additions still allowed by veterans and up? Was there an accessible report queue and the like in V1?

Also, for the staff: Is there a feature you wanted to see in V2 but got left on the cutting room floor?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:20 am 

Updates in Version 1 of the site were slightly more straightforward--this word just does not do it justice and is not meant in any way to evaluate the kind of updates that Version 2 requires. In a number of ways, this description is somewhat misleading, and I wish I could think of a better way to describe it (personally, the way it appears/is experienced by myself, at least). It is hard to pinpoint what I mean with such a word, but there is comparatively lots more information packed into Version 2 to juggle with if that makes any sense, which is what I mean. The report queue was not accessible to all registered users or visitors at all, and the reports were categorized based on their purported prioritization (e.g. "low", "medium" and "high") rather than individual categories, if I recall correctly. It is so strange that, as I sit here tonight, I barely remember what navigating Version One on a day-to-day basis was like. Overall, Version 2 gives users much more options and things to do with the interface than Version 2 did--obviously a result of the overhaul and expansion that Version 2 introduced.

It is so strange to come to a point in using the Archive, that I honestly cannot remember what it was like to navigate Version 1 on a day-to-day basis hardly. Version 1 had 'frames' which made navigating it a little awkward at times, and there was this little 'trick' I discovered (something that someone who enjoys 'watching code' would find amusing, such as myself--can only imagine the sort of things 'Blazer and Morri might have found). I also do not remember the 'metal knight' rank being part of Version One either, incidentally. Overall, I believe Version 2 has done a great job at consolidation and placement of information--its format and template admittedly took a little getting used to, and I initially was in a period of shock at how 'different' it felt overall. Version Two has added so much but it has also done away with a lot of the older ways of doing things on the Archives that I remember used to be truly a pain (a lot of you, especially oneyoudontknow, will remember the "Incorrect split albums" thread!). I want to say that Veterans and higher still had close to the same level of access, except maybe deleting album tracks, deleting cover art/images, and perhaps changing release titles, but I'm probably wrong somewhere.

Honestly, as far as 'updating' band pages in version one (please forgive me, I almost included "artists" and "labels" pages here!), it's almost as if I barely remember what it was like which now that I've stumbled upon this post and starting writing this response, deeply saddens me. Version One of the Archives (not concurrently updated with Version Two, incidentally) can be found here. I really do not know if I have answered your question satisfactorily, of just rambled here, MCH. Now that I think of it, and this is almost inexcusable, I cannot (for the life of me) remember where and what button you pressed to update any information. Goodness. I mean it hasn't been... that long... ago.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:21 am 

How often are 8 points for reviews rewarded? And how many points do scribes get?

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:23 am 

As far as I know, 8 points are granted quite rarely for reviews.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:35 am 

I can't speak for other mods, but I rarely give 8 pointers out. Usually, for me, an 8 pointer is a review that stands out as exceptional.

As for how many points scribes get... that privilege is not point based. It can be given to anyone at any rank. That said, scribe status is normally only given for two reasons: to ease the burden on the queue and because we have trust in the reviewer to produce acceptable material. Thus, it's usually only given to prolific, high-quality reviewers.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:38 am 

So scribes get no points for reviews?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:38 am 

Oh, shit, I read that wrong. Scribes get the default 5 points for each review.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:40 am 

Scribe status? Someone can fill me in on this?

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:41 am 

Scribes get their reviews auto-accepted.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:42 am 

A privilege we hand out to some users (prolific, high quality reviewers) that allows them to bypass the review queue.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:50 pm 

Who is that The_Internet guy? He's a knight with less than 6000 points. o_O

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:07 pm 

Former mod. Better known as Naz. There's a few knights with even fewer points, they're people we know and trust who may not be too active on the site (i.e. Iggnsthe, orion) or who focus more on certain projects (Muhammad). invocator2k was also knighted, as a trade forum enforcer, and he has contributed quite a lot since then while previously only being active on the forums.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:53 pm 

What kind of a poster was Noktorn? His profile says that he 'got banned from the forum for the third or fourth time'. Was he trolling or something? Or would he get involved into arguments?

Also, does anyone know why Perplexed_Sjel stopped submiting reviews in 2011? Can this have anything to do with MA's getting updated to V2?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:58 pm 

I've been wondering about Noktorn as well; what the hell did he do :P

I seem to remember one of his posts being a massive wall of text on why 'getting into metal through the classics is bad' or something like that. It sparked a big debate.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:00 pm 

Noktorn is a complicated beast, and I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

As far as Perplexed_Sjel goes, I don't remember specifically. However, on the greater issue of whether some people gave up when we switched to V2... I think some folks certainly did. The rationale varies but some people just don't like change (even if, from a user's perspective, it really wasn't that crazy and a lot of changes were minor). I still remember the backlash to the color scheme, for example. :P

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:03 pm 

Noktorn was a typical young metalhead that felt a particularly strong urge to prove his sophistication and intellectual prowess whenever possible. He at first liked to appear to others as a stalwart incredibly dedicated to metal, but in his later years he turned to bashing many of aspects of the genre. His musical projects were probably not that great; I can't remember how any of them sounded. Later on all he talked about was caveman slam death and gangster rap, which I guess makes sense for him.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:05 pm 

Instead of darkish red on black it is now a textured reddy brown on black. An enormous change, of course. :P

In fact, V2 just seems better in every way to me. Might be because I'm used to it and not to V1.

rexxz wrote:
Noktorn was a typical young metalhead that felt a particularly strong urge to prove his sophistication and intellectual prowess whenever possible. He at first liked to appear to others as a stalwart incredibly dedicated to metal, but in his later years he turned to bashing many of aspects of the genre. His musical projects were probably not that great; I can't remember how any of them sounded. Later on all he talked about was caveman slam death and gangster rap, which I guess makes sense for him.

He always came across in reviews as 'an outsider', so to speak. One of his projects was infamously terrible, I believe it was called 'Rainfall'.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:07 pm 

I think I remember Perplexed having a couple of blunders with Nightgaunt, if I'm thinking of the right handle.

Noktorn was odd to interact with on the forums at times, I remember one post he would agree with you and almost praise you for it, and then the next time he replied to you it would be as if he forgot that you and him were "cool" (by virtue of his apparent harmony between one another solely, incidentally), and trample you.

As Derigin pointed, complicated... Labyrinthine, at times.

Last edited by ~Guest 193166 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:11 pm 

You mean Derigin.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:13 pm 

Yes sir.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:02 pm 

rexxz wrote:

It appears the board's culture has shifted a bit from those types of guys. The Noktorn or Resident_Hazard types (there were plenty more, however usernames allude me) seem to have dwindled. I'm sure it had something to do with the old serious discussion forum getting canned.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 29  Next