Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:47 am 

For those out of the know "buttrock" is what people call all the late alternative garbage on modern rock radio, though it goes back to describe hair metal and cock rock from the 70s and 80s too. Nickelback are the overlords of buttrock. There's also Creed, Skillet, Shinedown, Hinder, Buckcherry, Puddle of Mudd, Foo Fighters, Halestorm, Popevil, Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Stone Sour, Chevelle, Three Doors Down, Anberlin, Saving Abel, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Theory of a Deadman, Staind, all the "yarl rock" post grunge post-nü metal weak alt-metal bands with whiny vocals, Pearl Jam/Hootie and the Blowfish/Alice in Chains wannabes, sometimes have pseudo death growls and double bass pedals and chugging, few if any guitar solos, anti riffs, things like that. Intro 4 chord chugging "riff", verse, whiny chorus, angry chorus, verse, whiny chorus, angry chorus, breakdown or weak solo, chorus, done. Very pop, very corporate.
That's not forgetting post-Black Album Metallica and Korn of course. Buttrock in the 80s would be Warrant, Kip Winger, Poison, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Bulletboys, mullet biker cock rock back then.

I don't hate buttrock, I'm completely indifferent towards it. Which is probably worse than hating it because it's so bland.

Listen to "We Are One" by 12 Stones. Buttrock. Completely corporate, safe radio rock. As Kurt Cobain called it in Tourette's, "Moderate rock."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4UZhrnzoPM

What are your feelings towards this, and just to give it the botd, what's your favorite buttrock song?
I've always preferred punk rock and post punk and early heavy alternative and grunge and stoner rock and doom metal, so I can see why I wouldn't feel much towards it. So it makes sense that the buttrock track I like more than I should is Seether's "Fine Again." And I never disliked Creed and Puddle of Mudd as much as others.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 am 

Mutterficker wrote:
I don't hate buttrock, I'm completely indifferent towards it. So let's discuss it in this thread I made about it.

:???:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:49 am 

I think you should rethink your entire personality and outlook.
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:01 pm 

Just spent 20 minutes on the ol' throne struggling to pass a butt-rock, so my opinion of it is unfavourable to say the least.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:13 pm 

Butt-rock was originally applied to 1980s glam metal and derives from how they tended to grab butts I guess. Another term was "cock rock" because they sang songs about their penis or something I guess. Eh, you do mention it later on in your OP though.

But I never heard the term applied to post-grunge and modern rock bands. Doesn't really make sense since they don't really sing about or grab butts.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:27 pm 

I thought most metal fans at least had a good opinion of Foo Fighters.

EatenbyWolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:08 pm 

ratedgdr wrote:
I thought most metal fans at least had a good opinion of Foo Fighters.

Dave Grohl recorded a song with Tom G. Warrior. If that isn't metal, then I don't know what is (excluding the list of butt-rock in the OP).

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:22 pm 

..i always wondered if 'cock rock' had something to do with having a super, cocky attitude about everything, and playing it out in a glam like fashion or no?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:29 pm 

This is a silly thread.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.