Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:02 pm 

I'm sure there's a thread looming around somewhere on here, but I can't seem to find it through the search option or anything.
I've been into a ton of east coast stuff lately. Big Pun and Kool G Rap's first albums. And this guy called Viro the Virus (who apparently died mysteriously a couple years ago), a lot of his songs sound really introspective and dark, sorta like Reef the Lost Cauze's early stuff.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:33 pm 

Cannot say I'm a huge fan of the genre, but I absolutely love early Cypress Hill. After IV they really lost me tho. I also like the sounds of early Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre as well as N.W.A and early Beastie Boys

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:47 pm 

For me there is absolutely nothing better than The Coup. Although I do enjoy some early N.W.A. and all the standard stuff as well. I also listen to some horrorcore although sadly most of it sucks ass. Brotha Lynch Hung is one of the only horrorcore rappers that can actually rap.

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:03 pm 

I usually get stuck in the 90s stuff because that's when I was young and absorbed in the music.: Mobb Deep, Gang Starr, Scarface and Nas being ones that come to mind immediately. I think that almost any Wu related LP up until Supreme Clientele was pretty astonishing. Especially Only Built 4 Cuban Linkz, Iron Man, RZA as Bobby Digital in Stereo.

There's still some great stuff out there, but I'm tending to hear records with great beats and shit MCs as opposed to records with high standards of both. Tree from Chicago and his 'soul trap' albums are pretty great, beats being of a higher standard than the MCing though.

Jay Electronica's stuff from a few years back was the last stuff that had me excited lyrically.

I'm glad to see this thread on here, but I'm realising that I'm just about to list records and artists that I like and I don't think anyone needs that.

One thing I find really interesting about Hip Hop is that it's still embraced by young people as their own. It doesn't matter that it's actually quite old now and many of the legendary artists are in their 50s, it's still seen as a 'youth' movement. That, along with the 20 + year struggle to have itself taken seriously in media coverage makes it an interesting phenomenon whether or not you like the music or not.

Hip Hop has been one of the greatest loves in my life along with other music, and it's made me feel very powerful, inspired and awe struck many times! Perhaps a bit too earnest for an internet post but what the hell.
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

Mairon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:19 pm 

Is hiphop and rap the same thing? Never cared much about it, but most that made it into the mainstream in a big way that even I (as a complete genre-foreigner) took note, was incredibly bad. I don't think it reflects an entire genre, but my experiences have been overwhelmingly bad. Surprisingly there have been a few good songs from Germany in roughly that genre. While often musically repetitive, I feel that it's a mostly lyric-based genre anyways, so that's okay.

Last edited by Mairon on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:30 pm 

Mairon wrote:
Is hiphop and rap the same thing?

I think the names can be used interchangeably. Some people would say that Hip Hop is the 'culture' or lifestyle. People talk about Hip Hop consisting of breakdancing, DJing and graffiti writing, with Rap being one 'element'. That's the received definition you'll hear in documentaries, read in books and hear fans and certain artists say.

I think if you're talking about music though, everyone knows what you mean when you say Hip Hop.
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

Mairon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:41 pm 

Dhranna wrote:
I think if you're talking about music though, everyone knows what you mean when you say Hip Hop.

Comforting, actually.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:50 pm 

Rapping is more like the name for the technique. Calling it "rap" is a bit like calling death metal "growl" :lol:

This thread also needs some Gravediggaz:

Spoiler: show

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:56 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Rapping is more like the name for the technique. Calling it "rap" is a bit like calling death metal "growl" :lol:

This thread also needs some Gravediggaz:

Not quite. A lot of people call the music itself 'rap'. Rappers included.

Such a good choice with Gravediggaz! I-800 Suicide is a giant of a song.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:10 pm 

Yeah it's more of an old-school thing. I don't remember anyone calling it hip-hop until the mid-90s or so. It's kind of interchangable now really.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:12 pm 

Dhranna wrote:

I sincerely doubt that.

Q Tip vs. Iggy Azalea wrote:
"Hiphop is a creative artistic and socio-political movement/culture that sprang from the disparate ghettos of NY in the early 1970s. Coming off the heels of the CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT and approaching the end of the Vietnam war it was a crossroads 4 America. Specially for blacks in the US our neighborhoods were PROLIFERATED w/a rush of HEROIN. Our school systems here in NY dungeon traps with light for learning. Blk men some of whom didn't return from tours of duty n the ones who did came w/war baggage (Agent Orange, addiction etc...) These men had families but due to these events and throw into the mix the public emasculation...they proved to be handicapped parents. The surrogate parents? THE STREETS.

The streets of gangs, crimes, and the hustlers coddled us and swept us up. But! Being a spirited, rhythmic and expressive people, music art dance outlined our existence. It proved a way for us to exalt to scream to dance to laugh and find OUR VOICE. We weren't at the time skilled musicians as kids. We had records, turntables, ideas and INGENUITY. Being natural chemists we took from whatever was availed to us and we created something mighty and special. We cut breakbeats back n forth, we took a hybrid of Jamaican toasting along w/ radio jock rap (Hank Spann, Gary Byrd etc) and we put our rap down...It was a neighborhood thing really. Black and Latino kids were carving out their space and it became infectious. Eventually Keith Cowboy coined the phrase hiphop. Yrs later the first rap record was recorded and now we r moving.

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:47 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Dhranna wrote:

I sincerely doubt that.

Well you're deluded then. Are you trying to say that if someone says 'I listen to Hip Hop' you don't have fairly safe assumptions about what that means that's shared with most people? It could be a spectrum from KRS One to Gucci Mane sure, but it's well understood.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:28 pm 

Been getting into it lately, seems its quite hard to find good hip hop, mostly been listening to Beasties and Public Enemy, got Illmatic but haven't got into it yet, seems quite repetitive and the lyrics are hard to follow.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:40 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Been getting into it lately, seems its quite hard to find good hip hop, mostly been listening to Beasties and Public Enemy, got Illmatic but haven't got into it yet, seems quite repetitive and the lyrics are hard to follow.

Maybe you need something a bit more straightforward:

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:49 pm 

Not a follower of many recent artists, but I still keep some classic stuff from the 90's on rotation in the car during long commutes. Some of my favorites are early albums from Onyx, Mobb Deep, Ice Cube, Three 6 Mafia, Geto Boys, Das EFX, etc.

I have to say I do enjoy some of Necro's work, as far as newer stuff goes.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:03 am 

That AOTP album is definitely my favorite of all their releases. I kinda wish Chief Kamachi was still in the group. Paz is an alright rapper at best, but celph titled and even apathy are better (to me, at least).
Germany does have some really sick groups, snow goons in particular, they have some awesome bombastic and orchestral sounding tracks.

East coast rap/hip hop (I always used the terms interchangeably) just feels colder and grittier than western or Deep South hip hop. The lyrics (especially in illmatic and wu-tang's and all wu tang affiliate's discography) seem more cryptic, like I need a New York to english dictionary for some of Raekwon's lines in Cuban Linx. I started out with a lot of east coat stuff and some NWA and Eazy E but eventually gravitated towards stuff like early snoop dogg, dr Dre, the D.O.C. And RBX. West coast hip hop just seems so much more laid back - most of the time.

Chavaluria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:32 am 

I've listened to more Hip Hop stuff lately, past and recent, Run The Jewels is cool to hear, specially the second album, their sophomore album is pretty heavy stuff. Death Grips is also a band that I'm very into, I recommend all of their record, but if you want heavy stuff, «No Love Deep Web» is your choice.

Classic things like «Liquid Swords» of GZA is pretty awesome, tho.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:16 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Yeah it's more of an old-school thing. I don't remember anyone calling it hip-hop until the mid-90s or so. It's kind of interchangable now really.

given that there's rap in all kinds of genres, and there's hip-hop with melodic vocals*, 'rap music' doesn't seem all that appropriate to me. others can do what they like, but it doesn't work for me.

*and I suppose there's a debate to be made about whether or not 'key rap' is singing or rapping or both, whether or not those are mutually exclusive.
e.g., Gravediggaz' Nightmare in A-Minor
http://youtu.be/2wwlw8BhaaM?t=2m12s

chaossphere wrote:

that may be apt: just recently I've met some youngen's who categorize anything less than melodic as "screamo" (so, if you put on black metal or death metal, they'll say 'that's screamo'...they have no concept of extreme metal genres, just the category of 'coarse vocal styles that I don't like')

Last edited by Erotetic on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:19 am 

personally my tastes seem pretty arbitrary, I'm a fan of darker west coasty stuff like C-Bo and Brotha Lynch, wacky east coast shit like Aesop and El-P, soft Canadian white boy rap like Buck 65 and Josh Martinez, and more obscure stuff like the Russian ?band? Mnogotochie and Finnish pop rapper Cheek, and some hip-hop with singing instead of rapping (though I hate RnB), stuff like Lovage/HBMS/Morcheeba. Cypress Hill is one of the few 'big names' in hip-hop I'm very familiar with (Gravediggaz, too, if they count, oh and House of Pain, I suppose--still enjoy stuff on Everlast's solo albums), others like Snoop Dogg and DMX I could scarcely name 5 songs of, even though they have a couple songs I really dig.

Chavaluria wrote:
Classic things like «Liquid Swords» of GZA is pretty awesome, tho.

hell yea. love 'I Gotcha Back'.

a lot of Wu just doesn't do it for me, melodically (though I do appreciate most of 36 Chambers) -- the samples they use, the rawness of the music. whereas their 'Gravel Pit' is exactly what I like.

Folkemon_ wrote:
seems quite repetitive and the lyrics are hard to follow.

s'one of the things I like about hip-hop -- a song is pretty much hit or miss within the first 30 seconds of hearing it.
I don't really like the whole 'here's an awesome riff -- ok now here's a couple more that aren't as good.... ok now we're back to the awesome one!' structure... sure, some metal has several riffs all of which I love, but so often it can make for songs I just want to chop down a lot shorter 'to hear the good part', especially if we're talking something over 7 minutes. ...maybe because I was raised on hip-hop :(

Drowned wrote:
I have to say I do enjoy some of Necro's work, as far as newer stuff goes.

oh god, that "metal" rap album was a fucking abortion.

personally I prefer Ill Bill's later work (solo and collabs) to Necros'.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 pm 

Necro makes some good beats but his voice is kinda grating. I wish he only did the production on the collaborative album with Kool G Rap.

I'm a hip hop head and my favorite Era of hip hop remains the late 80's to mid 90's. It's something I can't quite leave alone. As much as I love Metal, I take short breaks away from it once in a while but I rarely ever do that with hip hop. Despite how much the genre is becoming saturated with wack shit, there's some very talented mc's out.

The past week, I've been listening to a lot of Planet Asia. Ridiculously hard and tight lyricist.

Last edited by Beer Baron on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 pm 

Why do people insist on trying to bring threads like this around? The whole MA was designed to be an establishment for metal. Are there no hip hop forums to go and post topics about hip hop on?

The entire genre of hip hop could disappear over night as well as all their fans and I would not notice, nor care I suppose. I just do not understand why there is this urge to have to bring it into this place when I am most absolutely certain there are better and more welcoming places for it?

I don't go to a bar to pray.
I don't go to a church to drink.

I don't go to work to play.

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:09 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
Why do people insist on trying to bring threads like this around? The whole MA was designed to be an establishment for metal. Are there no hip hop forums to go and post topics about hip hop on?

The entire genre of hip hop could disappear over night as well as all their fans and I would not notice, nor care I suppose. I just do not understand why there is this urge to have to bring it into this place when I am most absolutely certain there are better and more welcoming places for it?

You know, that's absolutely impossible to argue with. I've reevaluated the whole notion of an off topic section on a metal forum. I'm truly sorry for even participating in this.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:12 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

Most active topic: Game of Thrones season 4 - The thread
[ 10 Posts / 4.44% of user’s posts ]

No Game of Thrones forums to go post on? why do people keep bringing it here? I just do not understand why there is this urge to have to bring it into this place when I am most absolutely certain there are better and more welcoming places for it?

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:35 pm 

Swords, leather, and sorcery is directly more in line with metal than low riders, sideways hats, ridiculous gold chains and chrome teeth.

If it wasn't for Lord of the Rings half of the original black metal bands would still be trying to think of a band name for themselves.

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:04 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
Swords, leather, and sorcery is directly more in line with metal than low riders, sideways hats, ridiculous gold chains and chrome teeth.

If it wasn't for Lord of the Rings half of the original black metal bands would still be trying to think of a band name for themselves.

You should be set loose naked on the tundra for that.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:25 pm 

:lol: He does kinda have a point about LOTR though... People complain about what Tolkein would think of the films but that's nothing compared to the heart-attack he would have if he heard Gorgoroth or Cirith Gorgor.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:02 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

Yeah! People shouldn't post off-topic threads in an off-topic subforum! They need to go somewhere else! :roll:

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:05 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

Just throwing this out here.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:12 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
The entire genre of hip hop could disappear over night as well as all their fans and I would not notice, nor care I suppose.

You wouldn't notice or care if a huge portion of Black history and Black people went missing? Want to rephrase?

Dhranna wrote:

Dhranna wrote:
Well you're deluded then.

I see you aren't shy when it comes to hasty generalization.

If you're talking strictly about the superficial fact that both artists fall into the general category of hip hop, then you have a point. Your point ends there, but the conversation continues far beyond it. This is precisely the intention of both Q Tip's responses and my quote of them. While it goes without saying that people will know the genre, my point is that there's more than one sense to the term. The historical sense is not as automatic or as widely accepted as even relevant these days. So .. no. Not everyone will automatically know what you mean when you say "hip hop." History-blindness/unawareness is strong particularly among Whites.

KRS ONE does not reduce to Gucci Mane. When it comes to the phrase "hip hop artist" the sense of the term "hip hop" is very different with respect to each man. One's an activist, speaker, pioneer, and self-styled educator, the other is far from that while still being a successful Black recording artist. Chuck D vs. Lil Wayne are a similar comparison. Saying "hip hop" in reference to either one of these artists means significantly different things .. if you think about it. I encourage you to do so.

KRS ONE vs. 50 Cent wrote:
Now every time we talk about the history of hip hop, we gotta talk about this muthafucka."

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:49 pm 

I'm just gonna ignore the off-topic pandering here..
I keep seeing people mention brotha lynch hung, I was over at a friend's house yesterday and he brought that name up (first time I'd heard of him) and just now checked out some of his stuff, season of da siccness is pretty cool so far, wasn't expecting him to have a flow like this. I guess this is that "horrorcore" stuff I've been hearing so much about (ICP aside, because.. they're rapping clowns)? I knew three six mafia was considered pretty influential in the whole sub-genre, but apparently geto boys were too? Maybe like the early stuff where bushwick bill did that song about Jeffrey Dahmer and shit, but I can't see stuff like the Resurrection being horrocore at all.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:55 pm 

I just came here to post Killer Mike...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:59 pm 

<3 Killer Mike
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:31 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
DennisDemoniarch wrote:
The entire genre of hip hop could disappear over night as well as all their fans and I would not notice, nor care I suppose.

You wouldn't notice or care if a huge portion of Black history and Black people went missing? Want to rephrase?

A rephrase? Okay how about...
Hip Hop sucks and can fuck off.

Mystifier and Blasphemy, I would certainly never notice the absence of hip hop or it's fan base vanished with these two powerful acts and their members ruling the metal realm!

Any further idiotic accusations to try and level?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 pm 

Gr8 post m8

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:41 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Gr8 post m8

81 is more my number.

Strictly speaking of 80's that is.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:43 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Gr8 post m8

81 is more my number.

Strictly speaking of 80's that is.

nobody cares m8

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

Why are you here then? A fan made a thread for other fans to discuss a music genre and you come in here expressing your uninformed distaste like an ass? Get the fuck out with that shit man.

Also, Killer Mike is awesome.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:

That's all well and good, but I have a feeling your argument is going to break down the instant we ask you precisely "why" you think Hip Hop 1) sucks and 2) should not be discussed on a Heavy Metal off-topic forum, especially if your charge that "low riders, sideways hats, ridiculous gold chains and chrome teeth" lay the pillars of Hip Hop is any indication.

Personally, I think metal sucks and can fuck off, especially because everyone knows metal is all about stretched earlobes, baggy cargo pants and suburban angst.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 pm 

Actually my first post in this thread was quite polite and a fair point.
This site was built as a metal support system. Is there hip hop or even fringe bands permitted in the archives?

Clearly there is not. I assume there are other forums other than this one on the vast reaches of the web, and somewhere out there I would assume some hip hop fanatics have built their own construct to express how amazing their art is and what they are buying next and how large their collections of spinning rims has grown etc etc
Why not join another forum if you wish to discuss such affairs?
Why drag it in here?

All fair points.
However one can clearly see the baby basis that makes up a large population of the posters here. One person hates hip hop and a bunch of threatened and pathetic clowns all get their panties in a twist over it.

In the end, pointless and ridiculous... much like hip hop I guess.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:36 pm 

DennisDemoniarch: no more posting in this thread. First and final warning.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next