Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
So basically you went somewhere to find a job and instead went on vacation.

yes.

Quote:
Christmas is the easiest time to find a job, you're going to have an even harder time in the future.

no it's not, and no it wont.

Quote:
And if you're lazy by your own admission what's going to make you try harder in two months if you weren't even willing to try the first time?

because the next time i'll be ready for dublin. the first time i wasn't.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:22 pm 

It really is the easiest time to find a job. *laughs* Especially in pubs/bars. The holiday season is always busy as hell in the bar industry. It will be harder to find work later in the future because that's when a lot of the construction starts to wind down. Always found that there were a lot more people in bars in the winter, then in the spring/summer. Still plenty of people, but people are more likely to drink on their own patios, or have barbeques at their own homes.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 pm 

@burnyoursins
first of all, thank you for your previous post about canada. i'll get back to it.

as for christmas...yes, there are many jobs to do during xmas holidays, but...the agencies don't work 1 week prior the holidays! :( ...i didn't think of this, and it costed me time and money. ignorance is not an excuse, of course.

some photos of dublin, the things i liked:
1. a random tombstone in glasnevin cemetere. 1.5 million people are buried here. i like the design of the tombstones, and this is by far the most impressive location i've come upon in dublin.

2. it's a couch, but it's not furniture! from hugh lane gallery.

3. "plummet". a painting of icarus. nice painting.

4. museum of modern art was mostly a bore, but this 3m rabbit was interesting.

5. onto the science gallery. "blood" was the name of the exhibition. some performance artist wanted to feel like a horse. so she got a blood transfusion from a horse (only 5ml, though) and prosthetic hoofs.

6. vampire killer's stuff.

7. there's this thing that takes your fingerprint and puts it into a mosaic of thousands of prints, given by previous visitors.

8. this was some seriously trippy shit.

9. like i said, irish people are awesome. they renovated an old church and made a pub there!

10. my favorite painting in dublin. this one is in the national gallery of dublin. i didn't know w.b. yeats had a brother. jack yeats was a famous irish painter. the name of the painting is "about to write a letter". it is about a bloke who doesn't know if he'll write a letter to his loved one, or just go out to drink and maybe find another girl.

despotband
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:41 pm 

Hey, REQUIEM! I'm moving to Dublin in March or April, too! If your plans of going back to Dublin around that time come through, hit me up and let's get some beers!

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm 

The story is interesting but disapointing that you couldnt care enough to treat it seriously.

The comparisons to when I moved to London are interesting. Well, they are for me at least so I thought I'd share if someone would be interested. I to went ahead without anything settled than a room for a few weeks. I however treated it seriously and actually tried to get employed. I had one interview after a few days, one enquiry and still another interview that was booked for the middle/end of March (this was an early February). I felt good about this interview so I went back home to save money, went back for the interview, got the job and started working. At first it was a little bit frustrating since it was three days a week but soon enough I was moved to a 5 days a week rota.

TS said he was amazed by the minimum wage. Well, for me, coming from Sweden, I made half of what I used to back home at my new job. Granted in Sweden Im not on minimum wage but Im also not highly paid. The beer was however loads cheaper. Part of it is that its very expensive in Sweden and parts of it is that we usually went out to a local student typoe pub in London who served cheap alcohol.

I didnt mind the weather. Sure it rained more often but rain in Stockholm usually means a whole day. In London it would blow away quick. So while it rained more often from say March to November Im not sure it actually rained more. The winters were of course lots warmer than what Im used to as well.

The traffic was crazy. So many cars and buses and so few raods made for that heavy traffic. When you get out of the bus from the airport you can actually smell the pollution. At least if you come from a relatively clean country.

The people are awesome. I love english people. The humour, the openedness etc. I worked with people from all over Europe and the latin people felt the opposite. That the english were closed in and bitter. I guess it all depends on what you're used to from your home culture.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:30 pm 

I'm glad you did it, Requiem, had a good time, and came back undeterred... better luck next time :) thanks for the photos.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2