Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
7Halberd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:44 am 

pretty straight forward. whether you're an avid comic book collector or just a casual fan, who's are your favorite super hero(s) and super villain(s) and maybe give an explanation as to why you like them.

My favorite super hero would have to be Spider-man because he's just a broke college kid who just got lucky and got super powers. I can really relate to him, whereas other super heros are gods,millionaires, or not even human. Some other superheros I like are Iron man, thor, and wolverine

My favorite super villain is a tie between Eddie Brock as Venom, and Carnage. I've always liked how Venom was basically just spiderman but much stronger. Also, he looks really cool and I really like the story of why he hates Spider man, whereas other villains just want to kill spiderman just to commit crimes, Venom truly hates spiderman. I really like Carnage because, like with Venom, he's basically just Spiderman but stronger than both Venom and Spiderman combined. Also, he's red and black which are my favorite colors, he's smaller than Venom yet he's stronger, he can turn his hands to long blades, and he kills for no reason other than he's insane.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:43 am 

I agree Venom is a great looking villain. I've never read any comic books but am an avid fan of cartoons. I think I'd have to choose Batman, really enjoyed the Batman Beyond series but also the other adaptions. Of course X-Men is favourite as well. Right now I like Young Justice, to bad there aren't many superhero cartoons like there were anymore, Generator Rex isn't bad either.

For villains I'm in love with Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn ;)

Spiderman is a bit of a wimp in his normal life, there's always too much drama around Wolverine. Batman is very dark, perfect.

They don't show any superhero cartoons on tv in Holland anymore which sucks. South Park, Simpsons, Futurama, American Dad, Brickleberry, all very nice but I miss the good old heroes. When I want to see something now I have to download it, the dvd's are too expensive and I'm not gonna wait 5 years for a decent value pack.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 pm 

My favorite super heroes are U.S. Agent and Judge Dredd. I always liked Agent's loose cannon, violent take on Captain America and Dredd is pure dry, unflinching authoritarian ass kicking. Great dark humor in those 2000 AD comics too.

My favorite villain would be Red Skull. Always a great, German shithead yin to Steve Rogers white bread American yang.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:22 pm 

I've only seen the movies, but I gotta go with Ghost Rider. A demonic motorcycle that comes at my beckoning, punishing people to their very soul, and any kind of flailing weapon that bends to my will. Not to mention I'd be a hit at a halloween party. Like the movies, at least there will be cheese.

I guess this kinda falls under anti-hero? Also, what if I went rider-mode while in bed with a girl? Would my penis shoot coal and mercury instead of human seamen?

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 pm 

Some of my records came to mind, felt like posting them:

The Punisher themed: Frank Castle Gonna Break Your Neck! (FxCxGxBxYxN!)

Transformer themed: Shockwave

Wolverine, not really a theme, just the cover, but a gem nevertheless I suppose for the fans and an awesome demo:

Haha Looney Tunes, is Bugs Bunny a superhero? They got him on the cover a couple of times:

During highschool I always wore my Ryker's t-shirt in black with a white Venom like demon on the back, the design on my shirt was better in my memory but found a pic on the web:

Last edited by Crypt666 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:40 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
I've only seen the movies, but I gotta go with Ghost Rider. A demonic motorcycle that comes at my beckoning, punishing people to their very soul, and any kind of flailing weapon that bends to my will. Not to mention I'd be a hit at a halloween party. Like the movies, at least there will be cheese.

I guess this kinda falls under anti-hero? Also, what if I went rider-mode while in bed with a girl? Would my penis shoot coal and mercury instead of human seamen?

I came in here to say this. Ghost Rider is badass, and I don't care what anyone says I liked that first movie.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 am 

Arkhane wrote:

Firing of a salvo of full-grown sailors out of your cock not already a problem for ya?

For me it'd be Dr fuckin' Manhattan. A living god? yes please. Seriously, this guy's the business. He's blue, can rebuild himself, control multiple copies of himself and has (for all I know) unlimited power and abilities. He's unstoppable.

My collection

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:34 am 

Although he's no more a "superhero" than Batman is*, Grendel wins hands down for me.

* Not that "he" is a single person,more some symptom of demonic possession, having been at various times at least 5 men, a woman and a terminator-style cyborg killing machine.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:51 am 

I only know superheroes from movies and games and not comics. But here's my picks.....

I like Batman since he has no superpowers. He seems to be a testament to what hard work and intelligence can do for someone. Well that and billions of dollars. :-P Gotta love his brand of vigilante justice. In the end, you can relate to him as a human. All the money in the world couldn't save his parents, so even though we don't know what it's like to live as a billionaire, we relate to him in acknowledging that money isn't what matters most.

For supervillains, probably Magneto. It's easily understandable why he hates humans since human intolerance is what caused him to suffer at Auschwitz. The fact that they're doing it again to mutants is good enough reason for his motivation. If you think about his actual power, it's pretty amazing. One of the four fundamental forces of the universe is within his grasp. The electromagnetic force. He controls metal with his magnetism, which is everywhere in human civilization. He's rightfully the biggest threat against humans.

For 2nd favorites, Spiderman is awesome because Peter Parker just seems like a good kid. Joker is fearless and unpredictable which makes him a fun threat.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:57 am 

I would go with Batman as well (not the movies one). He has the exact amount of skill and depth to be perfect. I also love Gotham and all the atmosphere of the comics. Joker comes as an incredible villain as well (again, comic one).

Just as good as Batman (if not better in some aspects) to me is Rorschach. I just love the guy's way of thinking, his uncompromising morale and how consequent is with his own principles. I wish there could be a real Rorschach in real life.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:34 am 

Always been a Marvel guy so favorite heroes are Hulk, Silver Surfer (even though he helps Galactus find planets to munch on sometimes) Deadpool is just hilarious. Always been a fan of the X-men in general, the Xavier/Magneto friendship/enemies relationship is always interesting and they've had some pretty awesome stories. Other than that pretty much all the cosmic heroes and villains in the Marvel Annihilation huge story arc were fucking badasses.

Villains: Thanos obviously, Annihilus, Ultron, Apocalypse.
Edit: Oh yeah, Eternity and The Living Tribunal (Cosmic Judge) because they are too powerful to be bothered with caring about anything

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 am 

As far as comics go I love Daredevil. Originally it was a concept I could not grasp but after seeing the mediocre movie it actually made me suspend my disbelieft about the character traits. Now the movie isn't very good, and isnt at all a good representation of the comics, but for me it did do a great job at this one point and it was to visually explain Murdocks/Daredevils powers (which of course are dependent on the precondition of not having eye-sight). So after seeing the movie I decided to look into the comics and they are absolutely awesome. The Miller origin story is a great start, and his Born Again story as well. The runs of Brubaker/Lark and Bendis/Maleev are amazing as well. Daredevil isnt one of the more common superheroes but I'd strongly recomend anyone to check out some of the stories he's been involved in. And don't get discourage by the bad movie. It isnt significant of anything.

As with Daredevil I also saw the movie Watchmen before I read the comics. This is however the best superhero film I have seen. I love all the charachters, the general retro tone and the more grounded take on superheroes. I actually prefer the movie to the comic even though the comic is amazing as well. As a philosopher and a person interested in religion the chapter with Dr Manhattan on Mars (comic book version) was probably the highlight. Showing how alien he is to everything in this world since he knows everything about it. Classic!

The X-Men movies I also hold dear to my heart. The original trilogy + First class are all amazing in my book. I have yet to read any of the comics however.

And I must name the Batman as well. I have yet to read a comic with Batman as fantastic as the best of Daredevil or the Watchmen album but they are often solid enough. The movies are obviously up and down. Basically I can sit down and enjoy the first two movies in the respective series while what followed wasn't much to remember. My favorite of the movies is Batman Begins. The actual first Batman movie is what it is. I don't really count that as anything but a parody.

I was never much of a villain guy. Never had my clear cut favorites. However the person revealed as the villain in Watchmen gives the story a great bend (can't be said who it is or for the reason that it will spoil the graphic novel). I also love Magneto and how he really isnt portrayed as evil, just as on another side in the same fight (at least in the movie trilogy I think his character is excellent and one to sympathize with alot of the time).

There are a few that tingles my mind like Bullseye, Sandman, Venom, Elektra and perhaps a few others but I'd be har pressed to call them favorites. They at least rise above the rest in some capacity.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:01 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Just as good as Batman (if not better in some aspects) to me is Rorschach. I just love the guy's way of thinking, his uncompromising morale and how consequent is with his own principles. I wish there could be a real Rorschach in real life.

You know, I used to think that way too, until I realized that Rorschach is basically a psychopathic right-wing bigot :ugh: Seeing the world in black and white the way he does is something I've always found to be silly at best and horribly misguided and dangerous at worst. He does have positive qualities (his strong desire for justice, the aforementioned uncompromising morale), but they are heavily tarnished by his unrealistic world view.

I will second all mentions of Batman and Spider-Man, and add Daredevil to the discussion. His powers are subtle, which makes his impressive use of them all the more interesting for me, and he just never. Ever. Backs down. Life has thrown all kinds of shit in his direction, yet he still believes in protecting the innocent at all costs, not only as a vigilante, but also as an actual agent of the law as Matt Murdock.

As for villains, well..... I'd go with Bane. Sure, he suffered a lot from common portrayals in other media as a mindless brute, but we shouldn't forget that this is the man who broke the Bat. The Secret Six series really infused some new life into his character, and you gotta respect a guy who survived his entire life in prison by becoming the fiercest motherfucker around :lol:

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:12 pm 

I`ve always found the villains more interesting than the heroes, to the point where I end up rooting for them instead of the hero. My favorite superhero is probably Professor X. Not only is he ridiculously powerful, but his goal in life for equality and understanding for all is more meaningful to me than the whole "Truth, Justice and American way" thing. I also just read a bunch of comics from Grant Morrison`s run on Animal Man.

My favorite villain is Lex Luthor (what can I say? I like bald people in comics). It`s a cool take on the whole Man Vs. God struggle.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:22 pm 

As a hardcore DC guy, Im all about Superman.

I get so sick of all the dark and gritty bullshit. Superman represents a real hero, an idealized humanity that is the essence of being a hero.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:33 am 

My favorite superhero and supervillain thread is this one.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:47 am 

Isn't this more of a superhero and supervillain thread thread according to that logic?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:23 am 

Although he's more of an anti-hero, I'd say Preacher. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jesse Custer.
And of course Judge Dredd.

For villain...

The Joker. Seriously. One messed up and evil dude.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 am 

I'm going to use the aforementioned Venom as my favorite hero. Granted he does all manner of fucked up shit driven by bloodlust and revenge, he's also got this twisted sense of morality and believes he's acting as a hero. Kind of an interesting take on the anti-hero concept. I also just really like how superpowers similar to Spider-Man's were transferred to this part alien hulking beast of a creature. I'll also second Dr. Manhattan as there's just something super compelling about his powers and character.

Villains...there are just so many good choices! I've liked Apocalypse a lot since I was a kid so he might earn top marks from me. Magneto's also a really good pick, both due to his superpower being both extremely powerful yet limited in important ways and, maybe more importantly, because of his politics and motivations.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:37 am 

My favorite hero would probably have to be Superman. I mean, on earth he's essentially a god, but because he was raised by humans he doesn't see himself as being above them or anything like that. He has the power to kill, but the wisdom not to. On occasion though, he does go "Son of Krypton" on somebody's ass, and it's completely fucking awesome.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:39 am 

Nemesis the Warlock. As both.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 pm 

I have always been a big fan of super heroes and super villains, although I have tended to lean more towards the darker heroes. I really don't like when a hero is too much of a good guy. cyclops and Superman are great examples of that in my opinion. I'm a bit of a superhero geek as well, so I also like some more obscure ones apart from the mandatory ones. Wrote a long post a couple of minutes ago, but I fucked up and decided to omit some of the more mandatory favorites like Punnisher, Wolverine, Iceman, scarecrow, catwoman, emma frost, Apocalypse, Darkseid, Thanos, the Tim Drake version of Robin and Professor x to make way for a little introduction to a character which is a bit unknown, but in my opinion an extremely underrated DC villain. My over all favorite is marvel, but this DC character is ranking quite high at my top 10 villain list. Enough talk.

Superboy/Superman prime. There have been some evil Supermen before, like the warped Bizarro or Earth 3's Ultraman, but this one is certainly diferent in many ways. For those of you who don't know, he is basically Superman, or rather a Superboy from Earth Prime, a representation of our earth where all DC characters are comic book characters. This guy is also from Krypton and is also picked up by a couple in the woods named Kent. They comically decide to name him Clark Kent in honor of Superman due to their simular discovery by humans. His powers eventually manifest during a halloween party when hallys comet is passing by. Hell, he even gets to meat his longtime idol, the actual Superman and they even save Earth Prime together. He even get to fight side by side with the other heroes in DC's largest event at the time, Crisis on infinite earths. A series of unfortunate events happen that causes him to become psychotic, paranoid and filled with an immense hate for every other hero in existance. What I like about him is that his power blows the original Superman's out of the water in all aspects (he even killed earth 2's Superman, the world war II version). He far ekseeds superman's powers to the point where he is virtually unstoppable. Several have managed to immobilise him for a while, but he just bounces back and creates havoc everywhere he goes and kils hero and villain alike. If that wasn't enough, he is totally immune to kryptonite and defeated the combined forces of Justice Society, Teen titans, doom Patrol and Young Justice single handedly. <I also like the fact that his main motivation is that he feels that all other heroes in the DC universe has become more like villains and therefore wish to be the only superman and only hero in the DCU for that matter. He also blames them for all his misery.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

LeonardoS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:57 pm 

Favorite hero: Goku
Favorite villain: Freeza

That episode makes me the most enterteined guy on earth.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:58 am 

I only really like the ones from the Ninja Turtles franchise, but those don't really count except for the 1987 cartoon where they were pretty much superheroes and supervillains. Then again, the Turtles are just mutants and nothing else much. They don't have any superpowers and the Shredder is their natural enemy due to family beef, plain and simple.

Never really cared much for superheroes as a whole and their inconsistent power levels. At least in DBZ, Sailor Moon, etc. the characters remain fairly consistent since the manga have been written by the same author, but characters like Batman and Superman have been written by what? Dozens of different authors? And one of them decided to make the former beat the latter even. That being said, I don't dislike Batman and have a played a couple of his games. And I like how he doesn't need superpowers to defeat his enemies.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:08 am 

Heroes: Deadpool has a pretty cool power set, teleporting and immortality, but I also find his story interesting. He essentially functions as the most messed-up person, but he deals with it humorously. Having said that, I've give anything if they'd tone it back down to 90's level. He's turned into such a pushover, he can't win a fight for all his bad jokes. I'm also fond of Blade, I thought the movies were awesome, and he was wicked cool in them, too bad he's several notches down in the actual comics. In DC, I would say Batman and Flash are fun for me. The former has the best rogues gallery of any hero in either universe, only Spiderman comes close. The Flash, I have no idea why I enjoy him. He has a pitiful rogues gallery, and he under-uses his one power. It may be something to do with the look, it is rather cool.

Villains: I probably have more of these that I enjoy. For Marvel, I think Sabretooth and Venom are excellent. They are both more powerful versions of the heroes, yet they somehow lose. In DC, I would have to go with Two-Face and Mr. Freeze. They both have interesting story-lines in terms of how they relate to Batman. Even in the comics, Batman knew Dent, and somewhat blamed himself for what happened. With Mr. Freeze, Batman had an enemy that he was somewhat sympathetic to, he does all this to bring back his wife.

Warlust666
Some guy who posts sometimes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:22 am 

My pick for my favourite hero is Batman. As stated in one of the aforementioned comments, I really appreciate someone who is nothing more than a mere mortal with no super human powers. However, with his ingenuity and great wealth put into the need for justice.. he prevails!
I also like the fact he is a master martial artist. Watching the Dark Knight movies more has made me appreciate Batman more as he is portrayed as a Ninjutsu master and I am passionate about the art of Ninjutsu.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 pm 

Warlust666 wrote:
My pick for my favourite hero is Batman. As stated in one of the aforementioned comments, I really appreciate someone who is nothing more than a mere mortal with no super human powers. However, with his ingenuity and great wealth put into the need for justice.. he prevails!
I also like the fact he is a master martial artist. Watching the Dark Knight movies more has made me appreciate Batman more as he is portrayed as a Ninjutsu master and I am passionate about the art of Ninjutsu.

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about historical Ninjutsu or Ninjutsu as a martial art?

Warlust666
Some guy who posts sometimes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm 

I was referencing Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.. So yes to the latter as well as the former.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:25 am 

Well if you're talking martial art comic superheroes I'd go for the Manga over western imitatation anyday. My ex interviewed Hatsumi BTW (she was Nihonjin, worked for a TV show over there). If there's an MA thread here somewhere I'd tell a few funny stories about that guy.

There was the one Manga with this ronin type who was full of demon worms so he couldn't die, had an in-yo (yin-yang) on his kimono, he was the bomb.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:16 pm 

"Figures of Soviet soldiers at the base of a Soviet Army monument were previously transformed into superheroes in Sofia, Bulgaria."

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:26 pm 

Villains: this one is a three-way tie for me. My first favorite is Dr. Doom. First of all, I just really dig his character design - the imposing armor, the ostentatious cape/hood, the fact that he packs so much weaponry and technology into his suit. He's like Iron Man crossed with an evil wizard. Second, what makes him so interesting to me is that he's a tyrant, but he genuinely wants to do good. He sees a world filled with war, drugs, hatred, oppression, and, as a crazy genius and hereditary ruler of a small country, legitimately thinks he could do a better job. The problem of course is that the rest of the world doesn't, but - aside from a total lack of democracy, he's done pretty well for his home country. There are plenty of democracies in eastern Europe that are stuck in the shitter, and democracy doesn't seem to help them very much. In the Marvel 2099 continuity he actually succeeds in conquering the US and becomes president, and does a pretty good job, too.

Next is Darkseid. This really doesn't need much explanation - he's the dark god of a whole planet, he's actually a match for Superman, and his goal is the annihilation of all life. Also, I love the conception of Apokalips, part hell part sci-fi, with cyberdemons and all that jazz.

Last is Apocalypse from X-Men. Just a great villain, a perfect example of the kind of mutant all the anti-mutants fear. He has this awesome Lovecraftian Great Old One vibe going on too, what with his slumbering for thousands of years and waking up to raze civilization and remake it in his own image. What I dig about him is that it's hard to pin down his actual powers, since he merged with the ancient alien technology. Age of Apocalypse is of course a classic.

I only have one favorite hero, and I'm probably going to be the only one here who picks him, but it's the Flash. This clip from JLA illustrates why. In a universe of ultra-serious heroes who get all gritty and punch crime in the face, and one-dimensional "ideals" that don't act like actual people (I'm looking at you, Superman), the Flash actually has empathy for his villains and treats them like people, while acting like a person himself. He's like Spider-Man without the angst. I get so tired of the self-righteous "might makes right" attitude most superheroes have.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:43 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I only have one favorite hero, and I'm probably going to be the only one here who picks him, but it's the Flash. This clip from JLA illustrates why. In a universe of ultra-serious heroes who get all gritty and punch crime in the face, and one-dimensional "ideals" that don't act like actual people (I'm looking at you, Superman), the Flash actually has empathy for his villains and treats them like people, while acting like a person himself. He's like Spider-Man without the angst. I get so tired of the self-righteous "might makes right" attitude most superheroes have.

The 'new' Flash comic series from the late 80's where Wally West was the Flash had a great run for the first twenty issues or so. Really enjoyable to read and some fun storylines, especially with that Vandal (Dr?) villain. DC Comics were damn weird in the 80's for the most part, I remember the original Flash fighting that giant gorilla a lot and travelling in time back then, as a kid those storylines seemed really confusing and complex, but overall I agree - out of the mainstream DC universe the Flash is definitely one of their best heroes. Not sure if Animal Man counts as that became Vertigo-ey but he was all right too when Morrison was handling him. But that's the thing with DC, all these heroes and villains but not really sure who the hell they are - reading Kingdom Come was like that, great art and a good story but looking at a lot of the characters and wondering 'Who the hell are these people'.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:26 pm 

I have several favorite Heroes and Villains, but I'll just narrow it down to my current favorites.

Heroes:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

-Supreme - I recently found out about this Superman knock-off by Rob Liefeld, and am absolutely obsessed with him. Liefeld's run with him in the mid-90's is really enjoyable, not particularily well-written, but still very entertaining. Supreme is essentially Silver-Age Superman turned up to 11 with a massive Ego. He is not at all opposed to killing, and at several points in Liefeld's run brutally kills his enemies as well as fighting numerous Image super-teams, moping around with Spawn, and even defeating the God of Thunder Thor and taking Mjolnir for himself. Alan Moore revamped Supreme in the late 90's as an homage to the Golden Age of comics, scrapping the Egoist version established by Liefeld and creating someone much more like classic Superman while still retaining the ludicrous feats and powers Supreme is known for. Easily one of my favorite Superheroes as of late, I'm working on buying up both the Liefeld and Moore runs for my collection.

ImageImage

-Silver Surfer - I have a huge interest in Marvel Cosmic, so the Surfer is an easy choice. He's one of the most powerful superheroes in comics, has an awesome design, and his stories always interest me. One in particular that I read recently was In Thy Name which paints the Surfer as the godlike being he is watching, and eventually attempting to intervene, in the downfall of two clashing civilizations. For the sake of the MCU, I hope Marvel somehow gets the rights back to him and Galactus so they can appear in the eventual Infinity Gauntlet film.

ImageImage

-Son Goku - Goku is a staple in my superhero tastes. I've been a fan of DBZ for close to 15 years now, and my interest was recently reinvigorated due to the release of the new film and of course the TFS abridged series. I used to be of the persuasion that viewed him as this invincible fighter who could take anyone, including Superman, but have since humbled my opinions of him. I've always liked his innocence and purity that stemmed from how naive he was early on and the level-headed warrior that he becomes by the end of the series. I look forward to where Toriyama and Toei take him with the new film series, especially now that it seems they're trying to end all of the fan arguments by making him a God.

Villains:

ImageImageImage

-Thanos - The Mad Titan. Thanos is on the top of the list of my favorite Supervillains. He is cunning, powerful, and a damn tactical genius with his own agenda no matter the events at hand. This recent revitalization of the character has been amazing for a fan of the character, such as myself, and tons of great stories have been released involving his purple grimace. My favorite Marvel arcs have involved Thanos, such as the Annihilation series, Infinity, the Infinity Gauntlet, the Thanos Imperative, and Thanos Quest. I nerded the fuck out when I saw his face at the end of the Avengers film, and had a similar reaction with his full appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. Thanos is one of the ultimate villains in my book, simply because how he switches alliances at the drop of a hat to suit his own agenda.

ImageImage

-Broly - While not the most deep character, Broly resonates with me out of all the DBZ villains just because of how different he is. He was the only villain who seemed to be truly insane while still being incredibly powerful. His first movie is still my favorite DBZ film due to his nigh-invincibility. It was obvious that the writers of that movie wrote themselves into a corner with Broly, and had to defeat him with Goku's "plot device" punch because he was unstoppable. His character design in his final transformation looks like something right out of a Liefeld comic, and I've always liked the green tinge of his Super Saiyan transformation compared to the other 600 characters with the form.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 pm 

Porman wrote:
Although he's more of an anti-hero, I'd say Preacher. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jesse Custer.

This is what I came here to say. My love for the classic Marvel and DC heroes and villains has always been #1 in comics until I came across the Preacher series. That is easily my favorite Comic series of all time.
AMC green-lit a show for it with Seth Rogen at the helm. A bit skeptical, but it is AMC and has Garth Ennis' approval.

Reply to topic