Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:45 pm 

mojotfb wrote:
Hey everyone, please take a minute to fill out my survey about file sharing. It's for a grad school project and is anonymous.
Thanks!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TLKKG7G

Done!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:05 am 

Byrain wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
This^^^ there shouldn't be any other answer or confliction to that. To think and expect all music to be free is living with a bag on their spoiled head.

Except in reality it is free, its entirely in my power to take a CD I bought and upload some flac files for whoever wants them and no one will be deprived of anything. Whether you think that is right or not doesn't change that it happens and will continue to happen.

they'll be deprived of their monopoly on the product.
if I dress up my cat in a superman outfit and try to charge people $10 a photo, but you walk by and take pictures when I stupidly let my cat roam free, you've deprived me of the opportunity of making a customer of you and anyone else you share that photo with for free. whether what you've done is an atrocious breach of my rights, and whether I have any blame in undermining the financial success of my art, is up for discussion.

Gus Kiriakis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:32 am 

Done.

It's all a matter of perspective. I believe that the artist should be compensated for the time/effort invested in making music, so he can make new music.

On the other hand I hate capitalism with a vengeance, so in my book music should always be free. Since our communities are strictly capitalistic though that can't be applied in reality.

Since I am a professional musician I try to make a compromise between these two extremes: Our stuff is free with the option of donation.

Besides, the real money is in live performances, not selling CDs, at least anymore.

And yes I download music all the time. But I also own physical copies of most of my downloaded music, unless its obscure and/or out-of-print.

PS I find it more disrespectful to set a price on my music. Because the moment I do that I turn from musician to merchant.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
they'll be deprived of their monopoly on the product.
if I dress up my cat in a superman outfit and try to charge people $10 a photo, but you walk by and take pictures when I stupidly let my cat roam free, you've deprived me of the opportunity of making a customer of you and anyone else you share that photo with for free. whether what you've done is an atrocious breach of my rights, and whether I have any blame in undermining the financial success of my art, is up for discussion.

Uhh...just because two people are taking photos of the same thing it does not mean they are doing the same thing or will even have the same result and this does not really apply to digital files that can be copied countless times. Your example would work better if you said you posted the photo online and then I copied and pasted it elsewhere which is a perfectly fine thing to do, you're more than welcome to do that with any of my photos. What would be lame is if I pasted your cat photo elsewhere and pretended that I was the one that took the photo...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2