Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:18 pm 

I got the entire series of Breaking Bad and the entire series of the show Walter Cronkite did in the late 90s, "Cronkite Remembers" - both are excellent so far. Also nabbed some new clothes and this thing that cooks potatoes easier for you. Nifty.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:21 pm 

I did pretty decent this year. Between my wife and kids I got a bunch of thrash CDs, a new Destruction t-shirt, an Overkill beanie, Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on the DS, a Back To The Future Lego set, and a new floor lamp for my dirty dark dog den.

Between friends, parents, in-laws, and other assorted family I got some more thrash, an argyle Space Invaders sweatshirt, a new fishing pole, a Punisher t-shirt, Donkey Kong Jenga, and an r/c Dodge Ram that looks like my truck.

Best of all I spoiled my kids rotten. Throughout the year I like to teach them how to make, save, and spend money responsibly. But when Christmas rolls around, I like to go totally nuts.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:43 pm 

Stuff I got as gifts or with the money I received:
-Feist - Metals
-Muse - Live at Rome Olympic Stadium CD/DVD
-Muse - The 2nd Law
-NHL 14 for PS3
-A book about Lego's history from my dad
-A very nice scarf
-An external hard drive, WD my passport 1to

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:52 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Got my dad a ticket to Wacken 2014

That has to be the greatest gift I've heard of. Not only that but having a dad that would want to go to Wacken would just be awesome. Anyways, my wife gave me Diablo III and the new Skyrim for Xbox360 plus the Atari flash back pack. I'm gonna be holed up in front of the t.v. for months to come :-D :-D

My Dad's liked metal since pretty much the NWOBHM came about, if not a little before, his first album was Sabbath's Sabotage. He's never been out of it either, went to see Nile, Kreator, repulsion and cryptopsy with him this year, all great shows.

We both love Emperor and haven't seen them, so wanted to do that. My parent's are really cool with me still living at home for the months since I finished university, and despite working full time they don't want a lot of money for rent, so I splashed out for Christmas. Thought a Wacken ticket seemed ideal. Could've done Bloodstock, but Wacken is Wacken :p

This "Grind madness at the BBC" 3CD set I got is awesome so far. First disc is Napalm Death and Extreme Noise Terror. I adore ND, but ENT are a band I was never that into. I got a holocaust in my head on CD, and didn't really like it, only listened to it once, but their sessions on this are insane! Regret missing them at the all dayer a few months back now, but considering that was 9 hours I needed to eat at some point :p

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:54 pm 

I got a good haul of CDs.
-Avenged Sevenfold - Live in the LBC and Diamonds in the Rough
-Black Sabbath - 13 (Deluxe Edition)
-Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
-Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation (Remastered)
-Blue Oyster Cult - Curse of the Hidden Mirror
-Motörhead - Aftershock
-Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
-White Stripes - Elephant

I also got both Infamous games with DLC, which is utterly awesome.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:10 pm 

I got a little cash (something like 40 dollars) and a Latin dictionary from the family (oh man, it's good to have grandparents) and a fuckaloada chocolate from Secret Santa.

I googled it to know the English word and it doesn't say much about Secret Santa around the world, while we do many and many of these along the year in Brazil. Is it just some autistic tradition of ours or do you have this kind of game?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm 

With my gift cards I bought Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian and got some vinyl - Illmatic by Nas and a special edition of Cult of Luna's Vertikal. Also planning on getting this shirt from the Giant Squid guy:
http://www.cottoncrustacean.com/?page_i ... age_id=685

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:49 pm 

My parents got me this huge turnable c-d tower. Holds like 2000 c-ds. I have it a little over half full. Its nice. Before that I had all my c-ds in storage bins and had to dig through them to find stuff when I was in the mood to listen to it. Spent all Christmass morning putting it together and my two days off from work transfering my c-ds onto it. Other than that I got clothes and the usual needed but uninteresting stuff.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:53 pm 

A lot of dress clothes, sweaters, 4 very nice ties, a scarf, and a bottle of scotch. Everything is excellent and I'm very thankful for it; the scotch is a nice Speyside single malt that my father got for me.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:25 am 

I got Emperor, Rush, Led Zeppelin (meh), and Vektor t-shirts, in addition to finally getting a keyboard! I can actually make my own music now (I play drums, and have nobody to play guitar for me, which I suck at :P). Prepare for me to find my way onto the archives one day!

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:47 pm 

What kind of keyboard?

Didn't really ask for anything from my family as they already helped me out financially with my move to Chicago over the fall, though I still ended up with a few stocking stuffers like socks and a gift card. The real treat was being able to use my aunt and uncle's cabin in northern Wisconsin (near the Michigan border) with some friends between the 26th and 29th. Ice fishing, brandy, a roaring fireplace - good times. Then my girlfriend got me some books and a pocketknife with my name engraved on it.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May Greenfield
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 pm 

*"End The Fed" by Ron Paul
*Beneath The Remains by Sepultura
*High quality Soul headphones
*New Xbox 360 controller

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3