Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:55 am 

Here is a super awesome megathread for all Dark Souls and related discussion! With so many people getting into the franchise recently and the sequel looming on the horizon, I thought it might be prudent to have a dedicated thread for Souls discussion so as to not crush all life out of the reg'lar video game thread.

[Morri's edit: new players who feel daunted at this allegedly difficult and harsh game, feel free to read the tips below! Enjoy the best game of its generation.]

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:16 am 

WHY DIDN'T THIS THREAD EXIST A YEAR AGO!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 am 

R.I.P. Video Game Thread.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:53 am 

Okay, somehow I got a fucking pyromancy debuff. I have no idea how this happened except there is now a little down symbol over a pyromancy flame symbol next to all my buffs under the health bar, and my pyromancy spells do like 20 damage. I've been in Lost Izalith recently but I wasn't aware of getting cursed or doing anything that would cause this. Any ideas?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:50 am 

homeboy, you get hit by the spray those octopus things spit out? that damages your weapons and armor, your flame is prolly broken dude. just repair it at a bonfire.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 am 

Aaaaah, I noticed it broke some of my armor and got it repaired...Didn't realize pyro flames could also get "broken." Cheers.

I managed to get my Gargoyle's Halberd back to regular status then buffed it to +10...Looking for a nice titanite chunk to electrify it, if that's a good route to follow.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:10 am 

what's your build again? i wouldn't bother with lightning - the additional damage isn't as useful as having the standard scaling - especially if you're doing both dex and strength. I'd just throw on some pine resin if you want lightning damage.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:13 am 

Pyro tank. Moslty Giant's Armor, Wolf Ring, Havel's Ring. I've been putting most of points into End and Strength lately (They're 27 and 30 at the moment, as I'd like to give the Black Knight Greatsword a try when my strength hits 32.) Dex is at 21.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:14 am 

ahh yeah, if you're gonna do mostly strength, you could also just use the black knight halberd or the greataxe - you'll swing for a whole lot. I'd ditch the wolf ring since you have giants armor and place something else on though - giant's offers a pretty great poise rating.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:23 am 

Lost count of how many builds and runs I did on Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls to a lesser extent). I preordered Dark Souls II on Amazon; March can't come soon enough, can't wait to die a billion times again!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:25 am 

even blacksmiths need a hobby.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:41 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
even blacksmiths need a hobby.

He certainly needs hobby.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 pm 

:lol:

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm 

This is on the top of my list of games that I want to play before moving on to the new consoles.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:19 pm 

When I finish with exams I am going to get GFWL to work. Worked on my pirated copy as I could bypass GFWL but only play single player but now I have the Steam version I can't save or do multiplayer...

I'm a little worried multiplayer is going to be dominated by hackers though. Hackers piss me off a great deal.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:36 pm 

I'm gonna start playing again when they patch out GFWL. I want to start a new character and actually play online this time.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:58 pm 

I run into so many hackers - especially this late in the game. I encountered one guy who had 6200 health. I was like "nice glitching bro" and he's just like "whatever dude, you have no skill".

No skill? I did over 3200 damage in like ten seconds with toxic and Priscilla's Dagger... -____-

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 pm 

Pfft the video game thread folks are salty their favourite games don't get enough attention because the GotG destroys 'em all? :P Oh well.

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I run into so many hackers - especially this late in the game. I encountered one guy who had 6200 health. I was like "nice glitching bro" and he's just like "whatever dude, you have no skill".

No skill? I did over 3200 damage in like ten seconds with toxic and Priscilla's Dagger... -____-

You got trolled. Why would you even bother PMing these idiots, you're giving them the attention they crave.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:48 am 

I thought toxic did damage incredibly slowly, that's actually how I beat some bosses on my first play through got them poisoned with toxic then just waited in a safe corner until they died... usually took incredibly long.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:34 am 

That's because they're bosses. Ever got hosed down by them shooters at Blighttown? It's no joke, I tell you.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 am 

Morrigan wrote:
You got trolled. Why would you even bother PMing these idiots, you're giving them the attention they crave.

Exactly, this only encourages them to keep doing it.

I had one troll invade me once in Anor Londo and all she/he kept doing was turning up or down the middle spiral stairs and every time I tried to cross by the side (via the broken window and the path with the Painted Guardians) she/he would be waiting for me there with a DragonSlayer Bow to knock me off the ledge. I made the mistake of complaining via PM but then got a reply in a language I could not understand, don't remember what it was but it was quite short so I guess it was something like "nie nie you sux!" or something...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:47 pm 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Accessible
lol

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:56 pm 

If I encountered a hacker I would just alt f4 if I had a chance to. Not going to waste my time with them.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:30 pm 

yentass wrote:
That's because they're bosses. Ever got hosed down by them shooters at Blighttown? It's no joke, I tell you.

Ofcourse lol, I dont know who hasn't it is one of the most frustrating enemies and status effects in the game, but I was still able to clear out ALL of blighttown while dying from toxicity just because it takes life so slow and I was able to keep using pots. That one area with like 8-10 of those guys is pretty ridiculous, but I allways clear it for that special goodie.

Thanks for that link, cannot fukn wait until DS2, been saving my sick days for the last year in preparation. Also these words are just beautiful to me and should be applied to all media, games, music or movies... "A main theme in all games developed by FromSoftware is to not fully explain all the elements of how to play and challenge players to figure it out for themselves."

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 am 

I think ya may be confusing poison for toxic! Poison is only 3dmg/sec and toxic is 5dmg/sec - but that being said, it's still crazy useful in pvp - a lot of people don't run around with purple clumps in their inventory - so you can really fuck people up. Imagine getting 5dmg a second while also occasionally getting hit for 300 dmg and being on a timer that will inevitably kill you (toxic last for like 600 seconds if untreated).

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am 

how bad can you possibly suck at the game?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:38 am 

Onikage wrote:
how bad can you possibly suck at the game?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM

I think he is putting on the stupid act. He has no idea you can lock on, no clue what souls do, spent a while trying to figure out how to switch items and the next clip shows him get the drake sword and he has a Zweihander in his inventor. Only then does he figure out what souls do.

Oh and of course he tries to kill the Titanite Demon with a bow and arrow, bitching about how he enemy can move. Yet he has the tearstone ring...

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

Hehe that video reminded me of this one (a rage quit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_3eh4D3uY

I don't know if he is putting an act or something but found it funny still.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:32 pm 

So I'm having trouble with Dark Souls and I'm stuck in this area:
Quote:
Oops, sorry!
An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Seems like the hardest part is getting the fucking thing.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm 

Edited the OP with something most people should probably read before venturing into the game the first time, especially if the alleged difficulty daunts you. :)
Onikage wrote:

Oh gods, DSP.... that guy is probably a troll. All his gameplay videos suck horribly and he makes a point of being the stupidest, douchiest, most obnoxious player ever, bitching about everything when he's clearly just terrible at the game. I saw some clips of his MGS2 playthroughs and it was unbelievable. I sincerely hope it's on purpose to get views and just be a troll and all, because if he's really that much of a stupid douche, well... :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm 

Weeeeeooow, finally have enough strength to use the black knight greatsword. Using the power attack to flip the giant skeletons in the Tomb of Giants off of ledges is hilarious. :lol:

Also, what does that list mean by "poise is useful but will sometimes get you killed?" Would that be from the risk of getting mobbed if you're just standing in one place during attacks, as opposed to how being knocked down can sometimes knock you out of immediate combat?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

Yes, being knocked down obviously has disadvantages but you have some invincibility frames that you'd otherwise not get by "tanking" with poise. It's fairly rare though. One example that does come to mind is Quelaag's AOE blast attack. With high poise it won't knock you down, but it simply means that you'll eat more hits from that blast, whereas the first hit of the blast will instantly knock you down with 0 poise and the rest of the blast will not hit you while you're downed.

Honestly though I can't think of more examples, but there are probably a few here and there. More poise is almost always better than less poise, but it should be at the smallest cost of mobility possible.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:27 pm 

So my new rig for Dark Souls just arrived. Going under the Christmas tree!

One thing I haven't seen any of you folks discuss thus far in connection with DS is the notion of online rendezvouses. Is it even possible to meet up with specific players (i.e. any of you people) within the game or does the online system make it too difficult to even conveniently manage? I'm not really one for WoW-style group gaming but I thought it would at least be interesting to be able to cross paths with some MA folks within the game world. Presumably so that I can be laughed at and told that I sux.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:38 pm 

you got the ps3? you'll basically have to join a chat channel independent of the game (if it's anything like 360, you can't have parties in the same comm channel - maybe to give a sense of loneliness?) and tell them where to place their white soapstone signs - it's iffy, but it works 90% of the time. I have had runthroughs with my two good friends four or five times. It's an absolutely blast and you level up way faster because you all fight the same boss three times.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:11 pm 

Yeah, it's hard to organize coop or PvP sessions on the PS3 but definitely doable, I did it many times. It works better when using Skype on a laptop or mobile phone for chatting, though, since the PS3 text chats are pretty terrible and the interface is horribly laggy when a game is running. Still, feel free to add MorriganStark or ArrogantSmirk* (yes, I have two PSNs because 10 saves is not enough... xD made lots of different PvP and low-level role-playing builds) on your friend list.

*ArrogantSmirk is actually a perfect anagram of MorriganStark... couldn't resist registering that. :D

For the PC version owners, my Steam ID is also MorriganStark, as is my GFWL ID (though with a space, Morrigan Stark there), feel free to add me. Haven't played either version in a while though, been playing Dragon's Crown, Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen instead. :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:36 pm 

Sounds good, I'll let y'all know once I get acclimated.

Hmm...it also just occurred to me that my internet speed might not be up to gaming requirements. I only just realized today that you can take your PS3 online for free using only your existing internet connection. I am a complete next-gen gaming noob. I'll be like a virgin wandering alone in a mall-sized whorehouse, staring and agape.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:54 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
So I'm having trouble with Dark Souls and I'm stuck in this area:
Quote:
Oops, sorry!
An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Seems like the hardest part is getting the fucking thing.

Yup, gotta love GFWL.

But, perhaps, there might be other outlets for Steam games that aren't, well, Steam.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
For the PC version owners, my Steam ID is also MorriganStark, as is my GFWL ID (though with a space, Morrigan Stark there), feel free to add me. Haven't played either version in a while though, been playing Dragon's Crown, Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen instead. :oh shit:

On that note, to all interested parties, my Steam ID is Kurt Mansmith and my GFWL ID is Smokinggnu12.

(For what it's worth, Kurt Mansmith is not my real name but the byproduct of an old and mostly stupid joke within a group of my friends. :P)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:34 am 

Just began my first playthrough tonight. Had tons of trouble committing to a class since I'm totally in the dark as to what their actual strengths and weaknesses are, but finally ended up going with a female wanderer. Gift was the Old Witch's Ring for no other reason than that it seemed intriguing.

Gameplay-wise, it's something of a shock jumping from Silent Hill 1 - in which you have all the mobility of an agile shopping cart - to this. Will definitely take some getting used to. Barely really made any headway in the game itself tonight since I spent hours making my character (worth it? not sure) but so far it seems like it's going to be awesome. Wish I had a bigger TV to play on, but eh, can't spare the money right now.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:41 am 

yentass wrote:
Yup, gotta love GFWL.

But, perhaps, there might be other outlets for Steam games that aren't, well, Steam.

Also region locked (US).

I can definitely buy the game code on Amazon since I have a US billing address, but I'm not sure about what will happen afterwards. It says that I'll still need Steam and GFWL to install and play. Steam might not let me play it and I don't know if GFWL will work at all. (edit: GFWL isn't even working for me now)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next