Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm 

Just a random question for you lot:

Did any of you guys out there listen to metalcore or deathcore etc. before getting into 'real' metal? I know quite a few people who listened to bands such as BFMV, Avenged Sevenfold, KSE etc. as a teenager but now love Death, Black and Thrash metal. Did any of you guys have this sort of phase? Do you think these bands are a sort of 'bridge' to proper metal? I'm guilty of a bit of a BFMV (The Poison, some of Scream Aim Fire) phase when I was 12/13. That was it really, I mainly started out on Ozzy and Metallica/Megadeth. And also, do any of you listen to this sort of music now?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:05 pm 

I started out with Metallica's symphonic album, so I started with thrash and heavy metal directly, but I did "regress" a bit to some -core music. I still like a KSE, that one good All that Remains album (The Fall of Ideals), August Burns Red (for whatever reason) and a handful more.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm 

I guess there were songs more than albums that I got, kinda liked a few Trivium songs off of Ascendancy and maybe one or two other I can't really think of right now but other than that not really. For however long I liked some core stuff it wasn't very long, I kinda forged my own path into metal. It's really strange while all my friends were listening to Chimaira, Slipknot, BFMV and bands like that I was more into Metallica, Megadeth etc... and from there I just pushed onto extreme metal, bypassing deathcore while it was really prominent. My first taste of extreme metal was Carcass Heartwork and Hypocrisy Eraser and then onto bands like Death, Pestilence, Bolt Thrower and from there onto heavier and heavier stuff. I think when I was younger the big thing was nu metal so I did have a slight phase then of listening to System of a Down, Korn and stuff like that. Core was relatively young by the time I was seriously into metal.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm 

Yeah, I did! I started out with bands like In Flames/At the Gates and Meshuggah, and heard that metalcore/deathcore were basically a combination of those bands. I actually went to a lot of deathcore/metalcore shows in my hometown of Cleveland for a year or two. I still listened to real metal during those times though, never forgetting my love for bands like Entombed and even the old school thrash of Violator from Brazil!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:16 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I guess there were songs more than albums that I got, kinda liked a few Trivium songs off of Ascendancy and maybe one or two other I can't really think of right now but other than that not really. For however long I liked some core stuff it wasn't very long, I kinda forged my own path into metal. It's really strange while all my friends were listening to Chimaira, Slipknot, BFMV and bands like that I was more into Metallica, Megadeth etc... and from there I just pushed onto extreme metal, bypassing deathcore while it was really prominent. My first taste of extreme metal was Carcass Heartwork and Hypocrisy Eraser and then onto bands like Death, Pestilence, Bolt Thrower and from there onto heavier and heavier stuff. I think when I was younger the big thing was nu metal so I did have a slight phase then of listening to System of a Down, Korn and stuff like that. Core was relatively young by the time I was seriously into metal.

Yeah, that was basically how I was.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

I got into metal almost exclusively through extreme metal that I found online when I thought 90s alt hard rock/mallcore was "metal." I got into metalcore a bit later because there were a lot of good bands putting on good shows in the area and there was quite a concentration of good music coming out. The scene at the time was a good mix of hardcore, metalcore, and melodic death metal and other northern-European-2000-style metal. There was almost no mallcore, post-hardcore, or metalcore-lite (BFMV etc) bands playing these shows. Nearly all of the bands at these shows were playing live-friendly music, which often didn't translate to album well, but the music worked well for shows. I saw a lot of bands that became a lot more famous playing small, intimate venues - small clubs, VFWs, warehouses, parking lots, and other odd spots. One that stands out is All That Remains, because they used to put on a good show, but since 2006 I've seen them a few times and they have been unforgivably awful, plagued by gear problems and simply not having much of anything that works for them.

To answer the question, no, I didn't have a metalcore phase, I've enjoyed it some of it just like other styles of metal for over a decade.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:47 pm 

Yeah. In retrospect, I listened to all sorts of stuff when I was getting into Metal. I started on Metallica, then Megadeth, then Slayer etc. Then, my cousin showed me Hypocrisy and Amon Amarth, and I liked that. I also got into Machine Head through 'Davidian'. I remember thinking that the outro riff to that song was the heaviest thing ever haha. Then I moved onto Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus, Decapitated, and there my love of all things Death Metal begun. All of that was interspersed with the occasional Bullet or Trivium song, although after my Extreme Metal 'Epiphany', I stopped listening to them altogether. The only metalcore I listen to nowadays is Himsa, Converge, Darkest Hour and a bit of Dillinger. My favourite genre to this day is Death Metal though. How tastes change!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:52 pm 

Nope. And I thought I was stupidly awesome for it, which is pretty dumb.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 pm 

What do you mean, "did"? :P

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:18 pm 

Does grindcore count?

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:29 pm 

I became a metal fan around the time that nu metal had heavy rotation in the media here so around 2002 or so.
It did actually help me start off as a metal fan and branch off to proper metal.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm 

Not really I guess, I was really into Nu Metal when it was popular and from there I got into Killswitch Engage around the time "Alive or Just Breathing" came out but at the same time got into "real" metal.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 pm 

I love Hardcore, Powerviolence, Grindcore, and all that stuff.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:20 pm 

I got started into metal by Sabaton and Hammerfall, but I did listen to a bit of Rammstein at the time. I don't listen to Rammstein anymore though.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:46 pm 

I kind of got my start in Cradle Of Filth, there was really no gateway band for me. Though, in grade 7 I was a pretty big fan of Drowning Pool for a little while, haha.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 pm 

Bands like Megadeth, Kreator, and Vio-lence were my gateway bands so I didn't go through a nu-metal/-core phase before getting into 'real' metal. At some point, I did end up checking out quite a few bands and basically thought, "hey, this stuff isn't as bad as everyone says it is."

Of all the bands I listened to, I think Animosity is the only one that I regularly listen to.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:17 pm 

shit.... Killswitch Engage, Heaven Shall Burn, System of a Down, and Korn were big for me back when I was a teen. Then I discovered the internet. No more CD exchanges from friends and sorting through their extremely bad to halfway decent tastes.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 pm 

Whenabouts did nu-metal start? 1994??

I got into metal at a fairly young age when my uncle would play me his Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Metallica CDs. I discovered thrash soon after that, and found out about death metal by the time I hit high school, and discovered black and doom metal mid way through when I discovered Samael and My Dying Bride.

I had one friend who was a punk who liked the Misfits, the Exploited, Dropkick Murphys, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, and Black Flag.
I also knew another SHARP/old school skinhead who liked Combat 84, OLD Skrewdriver (before they were nazis), the 4 Skins, and the UK Subs.
So I suppose my exposure to "core" music came from that.

There was of course grunge like Nirvana and Alice in Chains, and "alternative metal" like Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, or White Zombie. I was only really half-interested in that stuff, such as feeling momentary relief if it came on the radio.
When Korn and Rage Against the Machine got popular, I despised them. Absolutely nothing about their music or image interested me in any way shape or form.
I also hated grunge, because I went to high school when Nirvana was at their popularity peak, and the grunge kids were the ones who harassed me and called me a "devil-worshipping freak" for liking metal and that I was "stuck in the 80s".

After high school, I got more into goth/industrial/ambient stuff....

So...... I guess I never had the chance to become a mallcore/metalcore kid, as I was already into adulthood when it became popular.
I liked Fear Factory if that counts....

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:48 pm 

Curiously yes. I listened to a whole bunch of metalcore for one moment of my life. i was already into extreme forms of metal (death, black and thrash) and enjoyed them a lot, but metalcore was somehow appealing. Maybe because I was a teenager :lol:
I listened a lot to Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentince, Caliban, Heaven Shall Burn, All That Remains, Bleeding Through, I Killed the Prom Queen, It Dies Today (my god only listen to their ep, everything is EMO :lol:), Killswitch Engage... I still enjoy the breakdowns every now and then but it is not in my daily metal diet.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 pm 

Not a phase per se, but I'd blame the whole wave that happened during the years of 2002-05 that made me want to check the new -core band that had put something out. MTV2 was majorly responsible was it. To be honest I think I only enjoyed the so called iconic bands which had big melodeath influences - old KSE, Shadows Fall and Darkest Hour. The rest of the -core flock like Atreyu, BMFV and numerous hardcore/metalcore bands were terrible vocally as well as musically, that I never got into them.

At the same time, I was listening to bands like Napalm Death, Obituary, Corpse etc. I guess the more extreme genres took prominence then and what little -core I listened to, faded away.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 am 

No, not really. I started with AC/DC, moved into GnR, and then into Metallica, and into thrash, power, and death from there. I went through a brief period where I thought Korn was alright, and I liked the Limp Bizkit song "Rollin", but I was never a full-on fan. As far as -core, I've never liked it at all.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 am 

I went through a short *cringing intensifies* Bring Me the Horizon phase.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:16 am 

First show I ever went to was a Converge/Cave In/BTBAM show back in 2004 so yeah. I was really into metalcore for a few years, did the whole mosh scene kid lifestyle until the culture started moving faster than I did. Once deathcore became the popular style I sort of lost interest and got more into metal and prog, which lasted through the later half of high school and most of college. In the last few years a lot of the metalcore stuff has found its way back into my rotation, along with the more current crop of Deathwish Inc/Southern Lord style metallic hardcore. Can't tell if this is out of nostalgia or a general lack of interest in a lot of the metal stuff that I convinced myself that I liked for cred. At the end of the day, a lot of these genre distinctions don't really matter anymore and I'm just down for cool songs and good times.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 am 

Nope, grunge/alternative metal was basically my "gateway" genre into metal, so-to-speak. I do like Protest the Hero's Kezia and Scurrilous a lot, though, as well as some more classic metallic hardcore and metalcore.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:41 am 

I kinda skipped the Nu/alt/core phased, as I started out with power metal, Rhapsody, angra, Sonata Arctica, dark moor were basically my first metal bands, I also listened to system of a down during that time period, but I never thought of them as metal. However recently I started having some interest in hardcore punk, 90's Metalcore, Between the buried and me (if they count as core, but I listen more due to the similar style as opeth) also a few modern metal core bands I don't mind like trivium and later as I lay dying, early all that remains but that's pretty much it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 am 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:

Hey, the "Count Your Blessings" album is one of the best "Slaughter of the Soul" worship records EVER, and I'll stand by that forever. Shameless, I don't care. Now, I'm not saying I still listen to it, or that I ever will, but fact is fact :P

PushTheButtonFrank
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 am 

Yes. And a big one. All throughout middle school and a little bit throughout my freshman year in high school. Those were dark, grim times for me. The only deathcore I'll listen to now is Veil of Maya and Rings of Saturn.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
RainbowPrius19 wrote:

Hey, the "Count Your Blessings" album is one of the best "Slaughter of the Soul" worship records EVER, and I'll stand by that forever. Shameless, I don't care. Now, I'm not saying I still listen to it, or that I ever will, but fact is fact :P

:???: That album doesn't sound like Slaughter of the Soul at all.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am 

Most of the riffs on it that aren't breakdowns are so influenced by Slaughter of the Soul that I can't ignore it. Play some of the songs from each record on guitar one after the other and you'll understand.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am 

Not really. The closest thing I ever did was listen to about half of the Freddy Vs Jason soundtrack in high school. Even then, I spent more time listening to the songs by Murderdolls and Ill Nino than I did Lamb of God or Killswitch Engage. Of course, I never got into nu metal that deeply either unless you want to count System Of A Down or Rob Zombie's solo stuff. I was too busy listening to V-Rock. :headbang:

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:36 am 

I surprisingly never went through the -core phase. I started out with the old 60s and 70s rock from my father when I was... 6?
Then on a crappy sampler I listened to a Metallica live recording from 1983 (in ~2002, never heard from Metallica or Iron Maiden back then :D) which was just so energetic and different from what I listened to until then, so I then bought Ride The Lightning when I was about 8, even before I knew Metallica were still active or went mainstream. Over the next few years I bought/got the other early Metallica and Iron Maiden CDs, Hammerfall, Megadeth, then Reign in Blood, Darkness Descends, some stuff from Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death... It was always a bit frustrating in high school that no one else listened to extremer metal or generally non-core metal, but later others finished off with most -core and mainstream stuff and listened to proper metal.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 am 

No, but I did listen to a lot of Godsmack and ACDC before getting into metal.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:01 pm 

Not I. My interest in the genre was sparked by Nightwish and Iced Earth (surprise surprise), and from there it was Epica, Stratovarius, Avantasia, Dark Moor, and Grave Digger that got me digging deeper.

To be honest, I've never had even a passing interest in -core bands (if we're not counting "melodic hardcore" as a synonym for pop punk).

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 pm 

I was too old for a core phase. I had a nu phase, though, but I've gotten to the point where I feel strongly enough about my music interests that I don't feel "guilty" about anything I listen to now.

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm 

I skipped the core phase most people I know went through where they became painfully emo and always posted lyrics about cutting themselves and how much they hate the world on facebook and just jumped head first into Megadeth. Which I am glad for since blond hair died black looks about as good as a bicycle helmet to the dinner table.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 pm 

I listen to whatever I want. I'm always open to new music, and refuse to dismiss anything based on genre alone. I'll go blast some Parkway Drive followed by some Creepmime any day of the week.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:50 pm 

Edit: It's nice to hear how everyone got to where they are with their tastes today.

Last edited by FromMarsToSirius on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 pm 

I never had a core phase and always disliked it. I ventured into metal through nu metal back in 2000-2002 though which was before metalcore took off.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:53 pm 

No, because I got into metal by the epic/power side of things, the very first bands that I listened were Manowar and Iron Maiden and I was blown away by the melodies, the vocals and the over the top delivery and all, and I was looking more stuff like that, so screaming tattoed angry jocks didn't appeal to me. I was a lonely geek (not an angry teen) looking for a soundtrack to LotR and Warhammer 40k. And metal is just that, no wonder why I listen to power and black almost exclusively.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:29 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
No, because I got into metal by the epic/power side of things, the very first bands that I listened were Manowar and Iron Maiden and I was blown away by the melodies, the vocals and the over the top delivery and all, and I was looking more stuff like that, so screaming tattoed angry jocks didn't appeal to me. I was a lonely geek (not an angry teen) looking for a soundtrack to LotR and Warhammer 40k. And metal is just that, no wonder why I listen to power and black almost exclusively.

This reminds me of me, but add melodic death metal with the power metal and black metal, those 3 genres are my favorite due to the epicness and fantasy lyrics.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next