Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:14 pm 

You know All Shall Perish, the deathcore band? Well, Mitch Lucker, who sadly died, may be gone. But all of a sudden, after 11 months, Suicide Silence is off hiatus. Herman from All Shall Perish is now their new vocalist. Honestly, because All Shall Perish are one of those deathcore bands that are so metallic I would consider them metal since most deathcore I don't consider metal and the only bands could be all shall perish, new whitechapel and new carnifex, I just think that the next Suicide Silence album is going to be more metallic than anything they've ever done. Although deathcore bands who are on this site but I don't consider metal (like Despised Icon and Thy Art is Murder) sound just as metal as certain songs by Suicide Silence like the song "Wake Up" as the band got more metallic on their 2nd album. I think this album might make them "metal enough" to go on metal-archives. Honestly, I like Suicide Silence but I don't consider them metal. What do you think of Mike joining the band? Will the band become the "metal deathcore"? Do you think they'll suddenly become instead just death metal? (I don't think so.) Do you think they'll stay the same? Suicide Silence do look a lot like a death metal band though, especially with Herman in the band since they got all these black shirts, beards and about every member has long hair. I think the band are a deathcore band with at least 4 members who make them look like a death metal band. Give your opinion here.

Last edited by METALSANDMETALS on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 pm 

"There's many who tried to prove that they're faster, but they didn't last and they died as they tried."
-Judas Priest, "Hell Bent for Leather"

RIP Mitch Lucker.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 pm 

METALSANDMETALS wrote:
deathcore bands who are on this site but I don't consider metal (like Despised Icon and Thy Art is Murder)

Listen to Consumed by Your Poison and The Adversary, respectively. Both are about as death metal-influenced as deathcore can get - they're heavily fueled by Crytopsy-styled tech-death riffage (especially Despised Icon, considering that they, like Cryptopsy, are from Quebec) that's interspersed between the breakdowns.

I don't hear much metal in No Time to Bleed (if anything, the most metal parts of Suicide Silence's discography are in their self-titled EP and The Cleansing and then everything after that packs on more deathcore and nu-metal), and I hear even less metal in The Black Crown. Admittedly, I don't know enough about Suicide Silence to know who writes most of the songs, but considering Mitch wasn't an instrumentalist as far as I know I'd be willing to bet that the shift to nu-deathcore on The Black Crown was mostly the guitarists' decision. There's that, and the fact that I don't think the band would be all too willing to let a brand new member shift the band's songwriting too far out of their comfort zone. This'll go either one of two ways, I'm wagering: either the band will channel Mitch's death into one of those "unbridled rage" albums that quasi-metal bands seem to invariably make in times of stress (which would be nice - I feel like The Cleansing was relatively close to such a beast and that worked astonishingly), or they'll continue moving further towards nu-metal to the point where they essentially sound like Emmure or Attila (which would almost certainly be godawful).

TL;DR - too early to tell but I think you're overplaying the significance that a vocalist is going to have on the band's songwriting process.

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 pm 

maybe they'll make a tribute album to mitch

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:52 pm 

I'm not a Suicide Silence fan by any stretch of the imagination (they have some good songs, but it's just not my cup of tea), but Eddie is a much better vocalist than Mitch in pretty much every regard. He's not as throaty, his sustain is longer, he doesn't (to my knowledge) cup the mic, and he's got way more power than Mitch ever did. I'll give the inevitable new album by them a curiosity listen, and I'm sure there'll be at least one song on it that I find to be acceptable.

MCF - When it comes to his significance in the greater picture of the band, the only real input Mitch ever had into SS's writing process was he did all the lyrics. I don't know if Eddie wrote the lyrics in All Shall Perish, so if he didn't then one of the instrumentalists will take over in that regard.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:58 pm 

Who the fuck is Mike? The vocalist from All Shall Perish is named Herman or something weird like that. It's kinda sad though because All Shall Perish was actually a pretty decent band despite their latest release. Oh well hopefully they'll get a decent replacement and maybe even go more into traditional death metal.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 pm 

The Archives say his full name is Hernan Hermida, but he goes by "Eddie" for whatever reason.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:15 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The Archives say his full name is Hernan Hermida, but he goes by "Eddie" for whatever reason.

You wanna hear a real name? Eddie. Eddie is a real name.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:13 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Subrick wrote:

You wanna hear a real name? Eddie. Eddie is a real name.

My name is Vince, and that skit that wasn't remotely funny or accurate.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm 

All Shall Perish plays excellent fast and technical death metal. With riffs that can be perfectly heard and held in memory. The departure of the snger is a tragic loss, but I wonder if there is the need to draw boundaries east or left of those a replacement may be fitting or not. I'm waitin' for a new album and then and only then I'll judge.

I'm still saddened, anyway.

Reply to topic