Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 am 

I was originally going to start this thread in metal discussion, but I wanted it to be as broad as possible. While it basically applies mostly to metal, it could easily go across the board into other genres (especially classical and film music).

Now here is the question: Isn't there something simultaneously intriguing and also incredibly creepy about music that genuinely sounds 'evil' in a near or totally inhuman way? Keeping in mind that most rational people, myself included, do not believe in black & white definitions of good and evil, what I am really referring to is a sound that isn't cheesy or cliched, but genuinely frightening. Let's look at some examples from different music genres.

From metal, the only album I can think of that really feels this way to me is Incantation's Mortal Throne Of Nazarene, and I only fully realised this today after a nightmare I had last night. In this dream, I was traversing a really massive, eerie, insanely dark underground place with some people. It was far enough underground that the light came solely from flaming torches on the walls. After nearly falling down some immeasurably deep chasm, we found this door, and were going to head through it, only to see these two zombie priests heading out of said door and coming our way. While the idea of zombie priests might sound silly, for some reason these two 'things' were absolutely terrifying. They didn't make any sound...they just walked inexorably towards us carrying a candle in each hand. The creepiest part was that somehow, whenever I shone my torch in their faces, they stopped for a second and uttered low growls. They could still walk towards us when the torch was shining on their faces, but much more slowly. It's as if they fed off the dark. Eventually we were unable to stop them, and as they cornered us, one of them literally leaped into the air and pounced on me. At that moment I woke up, deeply disturbed.

What has this got to do with the title of the thread and Incantation? Well, this morning I was still thinking about that dream, and I also ended up thinking about music and in particular death metal. I started thinking about Incantation's second album, Mortal Throne Of Nazarene. As I did, I also thought about the dream. I'd always thought that the song "Demonic Incarnate" was one of the most sinister and inhuman sounding death metal songs I'd ever heard. When I thought about it in relation to this truly horrifying dream, I realised just how well that song would have suited the atmosphere of the dream. As I thought more about it, I realised that this meant Demonic Incarnate, and the rest of that album, could actually be disturbing and frightening to listen to if played under the correct conditions and atmosphere. That's more than I can say for almost any other death metal album I have heard, a lot of which are (IMHO) often too cheesy and over the top to be actually creepy.

Going deeper into analysis, what is it that makes Mortal Throne Of Nazarene inhumanly evil and thus really creepy and unsettling? The vocals are a big part of it, because they don't even sound human. You can't understand anything being growled, and that's the point. You aren't supposed to. The melodies and chord progressions used are extremely chromatic and flirt with atonality, while still maintaining a level of tonality that could be described as genuinely evil due to the intervals used, and the way that they DON'T sound evil in a 'hammy' manner, but in a twisted, nightmarish one. Quite honestly, I'd be hard pressed to name any other album in the death metal genre that I've heard personally which sounds this inhuman. It's so avant-garde that it's not really even rock at all - it's as far from conventional metal and conventional hard rock as the weirdest, most freaky free jazz is from old school jazz ballads.

If anyone can name any other metal albums that have this kind of atmosphere, I'd be interested to hear them and discuss them.

For non-metal, let's have a look at classical music.

One of the most unsettling classical pieces that I have heard would have to be Dmitri Shostakovich's Thirteenth String Quartet in B-Flat Minor. It's not necessarily 'inhumanly evil', but it's certainly horribly twisted, eerie as hell and insanely dark in an almost nihilistic manner. Have a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YrajPOL_c

There are tons of other examples out there, for sure. But generally speaking, the subtler the effect here, the better. Remember, this can be music from literally any genre in the world.

Hope this sparks an interesting discussion!

alflord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am 

For me most of the Esoteric songs do it. Unusual vocals, weird sound effects, sweeping guitars and an otherwordly atmosphere overall. Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZBVivL4sRA
There are many bands that sound inhuman, many of them are underground. Could give dISEMBOWELMENT (well, not really THAT underground), Darkspace or finnish Unholy (if you haven't heard that one, I strongly recommend to do so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyJMlKfw7X0) as examples.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 am 

Seconding Darkspace. It's basically a trip somewhere dark and really far away in space where horrible, inexplicable things happen, and there's no way of coming back.
Check out this video, it'll give you a much better idea.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 am 

Swans, Swans and Swans. Even though I don't enjoy much of it, yeah, Swans. Raping a slave, probably.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:28 am 

Church of Raism is probably want you are looking for, James Havoc the main guy also has written some books, the sort of esoteric horror I'm sure I want to try reading.... As for the music, its varies track by track, but if you like old-school industrial at all its worth checking out.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:01 am 

Abruptum.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 pm 

Anything with auto-tune.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 pm 

those gulaggh/Stalaggh "projekts" that fucked up dutch guy did are pretty unsettling bits of noise music, basically they took mental patients, rape victims, and deaf children and put em in an old abandoned monastery and told em to go nuts I guess, breaking shit, screaming as loud as possible, apparently one of the schizophrenic guys tried to murder somebody during the Projekt Misanthropia sessions, I always found the erratic trumpet playing in Vorkuta to be especially disturbing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuO9xtNsRs0

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 pm 

Well the easy direction to take is probably dark ambient. It's loaded with otherworldy horrors like Lustmord, Kerovnian, Atrium Carceri etc.
The aforementioned intertwines with neoclassical darkwave, probably the best example of evilness being Elend's A World in Their Sreams.

Classical is such a tough topic to touch on this matter, since majority of works has their glimmers of light and the depths of darkness.
Prokofiev has some disturbing stuff, and Wojkiech Kilar's work "The Mother of God" is pretty mindtearing.

As for metal, the latest shivers have been delivered by the newcomers Malthusian, not to mention Deathspell Omega.

Last edited by Bishop_Drugsalot on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorblethorp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:56 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
Swans, Swans and Swans. Even though I don't enjoy much of it, yeah, Swans. Raping a slave, probably.

Came here to post this. Swans evokes feelings of extreme discomfort and insanity that no metal band has come close to achieving IMO. Metal can sadly be a little restrictive is some ways.

rexxz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 pm 

Easy.

In Slaughter Natives - Fifth Skin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_-u2OuK6c

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:45 pm 

I'm reading the OP, and immediately the violin grinding at the beginning of Insidious comes to mind.

Seriously though,I'm not trying to do anyone a favor, but just because it is what it is: ShaolinLambKiller released a song under the name Ange De La Mort - Evocation of That Which Appears Behind the Stones of Sorrow. It has all the creepy, ghostly undertones of what I think you are looking for. Sounds like Hell.... literally, as in you are watching the torment of those poor disembodied souls through the entertainment end of a one-way mirror. And no, not in the cheesy pre-soaked rinse cycle of a neo-second wave black metal band. This is some heavily demented shit.
I'm trying to view the worst songs thread, by the way.

Someone started posting your music and the mods wanted to spare your feelings. ;)

Arkhane, Progressive Melodeath

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:17 pm 

A lot of 8MM stuff is really unsettling and feels 'inhumanly evil', as you put it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVTwxp ... Q&index=75

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:09 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Easy.

I made that video :p

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 am 

This one by Fushitsusha. Though they were "cosmic heads" and had no interest in the concept of evil, this particular song of theirs always managed to make me wink rather fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVkjC9ojOA

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:03 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
those gulaggh/Stalaggh "projekts" that fucked up dutch guy did are pretty unsettling bits of noise music, basically they took mental patients, rape victims, and deaf children and put em in an old abandoned monastery and told em to go nuts I guess, breaking shit, screaming as loud as possible, apparently one of the schizophrenic guys tried to murder somebody during the Projekt Misanthropia sessions, I always found the erratic trumpet playing in Vorkuta to be especially disturbing

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I was gonna recommend some Penderecki, but nothing tops that.

syx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:31 pm 

I was going to post about Stalaggh! Brilliant project!! I also think Khanate's first album fits the bill here, just something about the slow monotonous droning along with Alan's 'nails down a blackboard' vocals seems so downright evil to me!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I was gonna recommend some Penderecki, but nothing tops that.

Creepy, but I'm pretty sure the "disturbed people in a monastery" bit of Stallagh and co. was called out as a hoax some time ago.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 pm 

I couldn't find anything. There was a rumor that some Lebanese guy was really behind it all, but it turned out he just remixed the first two albums. Seems like it's all just speculation.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm 

Since someone mentioned Penderecki, I realized I forgot Luigi Nono's La Lontananza Nostalgica... Crank this to the max if you have ballz. Prometeo also had some potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-CKVm8MXxU

rexxz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:23 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
rexxz wrote:
Easy.

I made that video :p

lol, nice. It is a super creepy song, that looping vocal sample just sounds so wrong haha

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am 

There's alot of rumors abound concerning the Stalaggh/Gulaggh stuff, not sure what all is true and what's made up about it, that whole attempted murder can apparently be heard like halfway through projekt Misanthropia but the sound quality is so low-fi it's kinda left up to the imagination. Stalaggh's one of those things I listen to on an earth-shattering shitty day and just kinda zone out for the rest of the day, I feel like its impossible to sit through one of those recordings and not walk away feeling a bit "off" for some time. maybe more fucked up than "evil".

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 am 

rexxz wrote:
Easy.

I've always seen In Slaughter Natives mentioned in these kind of discussions, but never actually tried them and now that I have its actually pretty underwhelming, Laibach has done better in this vein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqiVE6ch20

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 am 

I came in expecting this suggestion to take the cake, but most of what you other guys have posted is like...wow.

I'll show myself out.

Spoiler: show

Last.fm

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:20 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsf4F7Oe7A

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 am 

Byrain wrote:
rexxz wrote:
Easy.

I've always seen In Slaughter Natives mentioned in these kind of discussions, but never actually tried them and now that I have its actually pretty underwhelming, Laibach has done better in this vein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqiVE6ch20

Nah, you need to listen to the full ISN albums to get the full impression. Plus they never made Beatles covers :P

(Joking, I love Laibach)

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Nah, you need to listen to the full ISN albums to get the full impression. Plus they never made Beatles covers :P

(Joking, I love Laibach)

Where would you recommend I start?

Erotetic wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsf4F7Oe7A

:nono:

rexxz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am 

Laibach is nothing at all like In Slaughter Natives, there's no reason to compare them so directly. And even if you were to find some grounds to do so, they definitely aren't better than ISN :lol:

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

Nova Akropola (album) is clearly better than that song, I don't care that much about other Laibach material. I could of also compared them to Skinny Puppy who is also more interesting, I'd even rather listen to Zaraza. Who would you suggest is better to compare to ISN? Lots of industrial is pretty different, but still comparable, its not like black metal.

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:11 pm 

Some of Sophia's material is similar to ISN.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:18 pm 

I'm liking Sophia so far, thanks for pointing them out. They'd probably fit in this thread well, they got that unsettling martial vibe down.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 pm 

When I was quite a bit into death industrial I stumbled upon a band called Dead Man's Hill.
Veeeeery unsettling, maybe evil to some, sounding stuff. I don't have the time right now
to look for proper samples but check them out if you're interested ;)

click to visit my Deviantart-Page for some logo and shirt design work
(contact me if your band needs a new logo or anything design related)

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:43 pm 

I made a similar thread a while ago. I think one of the scarier albums out there is Infester - To the Depths, In Degradation.
Then I can absolutely second Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral, and maybe also Immolation.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:09 am 

Re ISN, you should start with "Enter now the world". It's not an album that has "hit singles" as such, but it is certainly an eerie, queasy piece of work. The Self-titled one is fairly primitive drum-machine driven stuff, "Sacrosanct bleeds" is more guitar driven and pummeling, "purgate my stain" is quite ambient and brooding and "Return of a king" is a bit more modern sounding in the production and synthesises all the elements of the previous albums. The thing about ISN is that they/he somehow seemed to capture a lot of the atmosphere of classic Black Metal without actually utilising any of the techniques. Maybe MZ.412 is the closest analogy.

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 pm 

I would agree with Enter Now the World being the best place to start. Resurrection: the Return of a King is my favorite overall; you just can't beat "As my Shield" for purely biblical Book of Revelations-esque apocalypse in audio form. It has been years since I listened to Sacrosancts Bleed but I found it more grating than gratifying when I did, though I suppose that was probably the point.

I haven't heard all of Sophia's work but Herbstwerk is classic stuff*. I think the single best track he ever did though was the second track on the Seduction of Madness ep.

If I feel like it I might contribute some more recommendations at a later date.

*fun fact: as I've pointed out before, Urfaust pretty much completely plagiarized the opening string section from "Herbstwerk" for the 5th song on their Geist ist Teufel album (which was also on their first demo I believe).

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:59 am 

Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz Freejazz
Did I forget to list Freejazz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8
I had to stop at 3 minutes in. Thought Satan himself was coming through my headphones

Earthcubed
Peregrinus sine aetate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:

No, but In Slaughter Natives did write a song about a naked boozing Jesus:

http://inslaughternatives.com/downloads ... 20hand.mp3

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:00 pm 

Elend's album The Umbersun. They're a dark ambient/modern classical band, and I swear what they compose has a more genuinely evil and malevolent atmosphere than just about any metal I've ever heard.

As far as metal bands go, I gotta go with some of those bands from the new "dark/atmospheric death metal" wave that's gotten so popular in the past few years, particularly bands like Abyssal and Aevangelist. For me, these are the bands that are pushing the limits of what death and extreme metal can be without sounding like dissonant noise (which is why I could never get into Portal).
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Morsay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:41 pm 

For me it's either Phantom's DIVINE NECROMANCY (metal)

or any Korriban song (weird trance)

or

video games soundtracks can also be pretty good but i couldn't tell you which ones

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm 

I think this is pretty evil sounding, myself:

Or maybe terrifying would be a better adjective, especially with the right intoxicants...

There's also a Current 93 track on Dog's Blood Rising (I think) that always gives me a horrible shivery feeling of evil. It's pretty intense but I can't remember what it's called at this time...

I can second whoever mentioned Esoteric. Particularly The pernicious Enigma. Very harrowing.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next