Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:57 am 

Back in the 90's rock and roll and I mean REAL rock and roll ruled the world, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Radiohead etc. These bands sold tons of records, Rockstars were larger than life, their music spoke to a lot of youth and most importantly they had balls.

Nowadays there are no bands like those that I have mentioned, The last time rock was big was in the early 2000's while most of them were terrible nu-metal but they were still somewhat "rock" and it's been like 13 years since and there is still not a single rock band as big as those of the past.

Will there be another rock renaissance? or was it the end of an era that will never happen again?

teh_Foxx0rz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 am 

I don't know if Chuck Berry would really recognise the sounds of bands like Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins.

But semi-jokes aside, I think it's just one of those things. Trends are waves, and roll over and past each other, sometimes receding. Rock took over from jazz and swing, and jazz and swing from classical, and electronic music and rap has been taking over from rock for ages now. Although in the modern world of the internet, nothing will ever truly take over, since everything is able to brew just below the surface in its more niched online fanbases; it just needs a band to tour a lot and get onto peak TV or possibly a game somehow for it to brew over.

I'm sure someone will be able to name a few newer rock bands who're still big though.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:29 am 

REAL rock and roll, like RADIOHEAD!

FYI, edm culture is basically the replacement for rock hype. Producers are effectively the same as frontmen of a hugely popular rock band in this day and age, and shows often have moshpits now. It's really just a case of a lot of people jumping ship, as is what usually happens when something becomes big.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:48 am 

Radiohead's OK Computer was a rock album and it was really good and creative for 1997.

Radiohead WAS a real rock band before the electronic album KID A. which was also good but not rock.

Expedience
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 am 

'Radiohead' and 'balls' in the same sentence... now I've heard it all.

I'm not 100% familiar with today's popular music but I think the lack of a movement akin to 90s rock is pretty much due to how it is disseminated. Instead of being channeled by radio or TV into mainstream trends, people now discover music for themselves through a much more diverse range of methods. Internet has had a massive effect. So I don't think it will ever be like it was with Nirvana/Soundgarden/Pearl Jam etc, but not because the music isn't out there.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 am 

it's pretty much inevitable that some form of rock music will become popular again. it's really just a question of when. the rock star image has never gone away - as crick said, a lot of those EDM guys are bearing that torch right now, and a lot of rappers do too. i remember rob zombie saying something interesting about that:

Quote:
In the ’90s, when the grunge rock thing hit, with NIRVANA and all that, everybody thought it was cool to be anti-rock star. But in a way they sort of anti-rock starred themselves right out the door, because the rap guys came in and they said, ‘Fuck it. We’ll be the rock stars then, if you guys are going to wear flannel shirts and stare at your feet.’ And in the U.S., truthfully, rock music has never recovered from that. A whole generation of kids thought, ‘Fuck this! Rock music is boring. Let’s go listen to rap music.’ And it’s never recovered.

and he's pretty on the money there.

another thing worth noting is that while rock music's next bout of popularity is inevitable, so is that it'll probably be some incarnation of rock that we all absolutely fucking hate. hell, lots of you already hated grunge and nu-metal - keeping in mind that whatever the "next big rock thing" is, it's gonna have to entertain mostly teenagers, and they've all got awful taste. a completely older style that you like (i dunno, like journey or toto or AC/DC) isn't coming back. it'll be something new, full of teen angst and shitty haircuts and stupid fucking hats and piercings. haha.

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 am 

Turner wrote:
it'll be something new, full of teen angst and shitty haircuts and stupid fucking hats and piercings. haha.

So... Like when heavy metal became a thing? Or punk? :???:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am 

what makes you think i exclude my own tastes from the "has shitty haircut and caters to teenagers" thing?

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am 

Just checking. :p

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 am 

Azerath wrote:
Nowadays there are no bands like those that I have mentioned

Except Alice in Chains, who you didn't mention in the first place. :(

Personally I'd rather have a resurgence of glam rock than a resurgence of grunge and overrated haydays like those enjoyed by STP. Grunge and hard-alt were never my favorite styles.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 am 

The world has moved on from rock. It is up to the true disciples to carry on the cult until the end times.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:13 pm 

Rock is still listened to by young people. I live in the rural Midwest, and a lot of young people listen to alternative rock. It doesn't sound quite like 80s or 90s rock, but it's definitely still out there.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 pm 

Classic rock has never been bigger.. the new Pink Floyd CD is the most pre-ordered album of the year. Electronic crap is only listened to by teenagers and trendy wankers, everyone else just shrugs and puts up with it. Then they go home and listen to Led Zeppelin.

Modern rock is pretty much on its arse though. The best active rock bands are all either from the 70s or the 90s, and it's funny how bands like Pearl Jam have embraced proper rock star behaviour. Apparently at the last concert they did here Eddie Veddar gave free booze to all the residents of the houses surrounding the stadium and was drinking his own supply all during the show, which is a far cry from his sooky mid-90s behaviour.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:56 am 

While Turbonegro are still around rock continues to have a pulse

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:21 pm 

This topic again. It's amazing how this comes up and changes every couple of years. A 13 yr old discovers Aerosmith or Pearl Jam or AC/DC for the first time and pines about when kids will live real rock and roll again. Nothing will ever repeat in pop culture directly. Heavy Metal as we superficially know it will forever be the province of retro 80s schlock. Like hippies in the 60s, etc.

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 am 

Exigence wrote:
This topic again. It's amazing how this comes up and changes every couple of years. A 13 yr old discovers Aerosmith or Pearl Jam or AC/DC for the first time and pines about when kids will live real rock and roll again. Nothing will ever repeat in pop culture directly. Heavy Metal as we superficially know it will forever be the province of retro 80s schlock. Like hippies in the 60s, etc.
I'm not 13, I grew up in the 90's with metal and rock.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:22 am 

Azerath wrote:
Exigence wrote:
I'm not 13, I grew up in the 90's with metal and rock.

Yeah. I'm 28. So did I. I already went through all these motions in college. "Yeah! Real rock is coming back!" with shit like The Darkness in 2003 and friends of mine from Los Angeles telling me about 'next big thing' bands like Vains of Jenna, etc. Who's gonna be the next Guns 'N Roses in the 2000s? Ten years later I can happily answer "Nobody."

I was playing in bands because the thought was "Somebody is gonna be the next big rock band" but the reality is, that ship has long since sailed. I don't know why you included stuff like Radiohead in your example unless your intentionally trolling. 90s alternative was just 80s indie rock finally breaking mainstream.

I'm sorry I've gotten off track. This topic is stupid.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:37 am 

Exigence wrote:
This topic is stupid.

Pot, kettle.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:45 am 

Well, it takes one to know one after all. But seriously, he's absolutely right.

As an aside, I can't say that I have ever seen somebody claim the 90s as being the decade of the "Rock Renaissance." That honor normally goes to the 70s or 80s. So thanks for the laugh OP.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:20 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:

As an aside, I can't say that I have ever seen somebody claim the 90s as being the decade of the "Rock Renaissance." That honor normally goes to the 70s or 80s. So thanks for the laugh OP.

I guess this will be the next prominent feature in the generation gap as we spend the next few years suffering retro 90s nostalgia. We already got a made for TV movie about Saved By the Bell.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:40 pm 

Oh man, the thought of 00s nostalgia is painful.

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:04 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:

You're retarded, 80's mainstream "rock" was your favorite glam bands, 70's mainstream "rock" was mom and pops prog, I don't know what world you lived in.

In the 90's everyone was saying Nirvana saved rock and roll from glam, Grunge and early 90's Alt.Rock was basically bringing real rock back to the mainstream.

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:05 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:

You're retarded, 80's mainstream "rock" was your favorite glam bands, 70's mainstream "rock" was mom and pops prog, I don't know what world you lived in.

In the 90's everyone was saying Nirvana saved rock and roll from glam, Grunge and early 90's Alt.Rock was basically bringing real rock back to the mainstream.

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:10 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I don't know why you included stuff like Radiohead in your example unless your intentionally trolling.

Basing on your taste on death metal, I don't know if I'll take your posts seriously

Exigence wrote:
I love hearing Six Feet Under's covers of classic songs. You can hear how a well written song can be buried under the distortion of death metal. Vice versa, I don't think AC/DC could do a death metal song and elevate it to hit radio material.

You're probably the first shithead I've heard who liked six feet under's covers lol, You've got a terrible taste on music, Kill yourself man.

Last edited by Metantoine on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user has died.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:10 pm 

Azerath wrote:

:lol: Goddamn it, you're killing me over here. This guy is a troll right?

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 am 

And now he's gone. Praise be to Tony!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:13 am 

Crick wrote:
And now he's gone. Praise be to Tony!

Praise Rang for that.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 pm 

Azerath wrote:
You're probably the first shithead I've heard who liked six feet under's covers lol, You've got a terrible taste on music, Kill yourself man.

I don't. They are awful. I'm just entertained by their covers as it highlights the problem with death metal for most people.

Reply to topic