Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:06 pm 

do you guys prefer longer hair or short hair. I currently have long short hair and am trying to grow it out. I like longer hair.

What about you guys? how do you feel?

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:35 pm 

I prefer my hair long, but was forced to cut it short due to a number of external factors: Work, most notably, but also- most girls in the area I live prefer men who look "clean cut"- i.e. with short hair. Even most "metal chicks," and there really aren't many of those around here. So, I cut it. Its been a long time and I miss rockin' the 'do, but such is life.

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:48 pm 

Crypticide wrote:
I currently have long short hair

If only there was a word to describe something between long and short!

I've had long hair for ehhh, about 5 years now. When I first grew it out I swore I wouldn't become one of those dudes who is way too attached to their hair length and never cut it all off, but I totally did.

Oxenkiller wrote:
most girls in the area I live prefer men who look "clean cut"- i.e. with short hair.

Many women don't care for long hair, but those who like it like it a lot!

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 pm 

Sometimes I miss my long hair (I started shaving my head around a year ago), especially when headbanging, but then I remember how much more comfortable it is to have little to no hair, and yeah...

Long hair is cool, but also a pain in the ass to mantain.
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:31 pm 

In my opinion, men look better with long hair and women look better with short hair most of the time.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:32 pm 

Going completely by looks I would rather have long hair. And I did have long hair for a long time. Then I decided to get a haircut because "change is good", regretted it a month later and started to grow my hair out again. Half a year goes by during which I enter and exit Kurt Cobain phase.

So all is fine right? Nope. During that period of cutting/growing my hair it had been thinning on the front of my head. I just let it be for a while with the silly hope it would fix itself (??????) but I recently had it cut again. Luckily the thinning isn't that apparent with a short haircut and people seem to prefer it to my long hair. I just hope the thinning won't completely screw me over in the near future.

@Xlxlx Shaving it all off sounds really appealing purely because of convenience. I just don't think it would fit me at all.

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:46 pm 

Makino wrote:
In my opinion, men look better with long hair and women look better with short hair most of the time.

Out of curiosity, are you LGBT? I am, and I tend to agree with you more often than not.

I grew out my hair for 2.5 years a few years back before I got sick of the maintenance and cut it. Nowadays my hair is pompadour-ish in the front and undercut on the sides, and speaking purely in terms of myself I think it's a massive improvement in appearance. I'm still attracted to guys with long hair under certain circumstances, but I don't think it's for me.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 pm 

Quote:
If only there was a word to describe something between long and short!

That was a typo, sorry. I have short hair, but I want long hair

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:52 pm 

Makino wrote:

I will agree with the men part, but the hottest girl with short hair would still look better with long hair.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:04 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Makino wrote:

Out of curiosity, are you LGBT? I am, and I tend to agree with you more often than not.

I'm a woman who is very much into other women, though I've been in a devoted relationship with a man for years now. It has very possibly affected my opinion on many things related to aesthetics. It's good to come across an LGBT person on MA.

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:09 pm 

Crypticide wrote:
do you guys prefer longer hair or short hair. I currently have long short hair and am trying to grow it out. I like longer hair.
What about you guys? how do you feel?
I feel this thread is superficial and utterly boring. Better go grab some pantene pro v and three different kinds of conditioner so I'm proper metal guy man.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:09 pm 

I started growing my hair in middle school, and I never cut it since then. It's been 11 or 12 years now and to this day I fuckin' love it. As weird as it sounds, I feel a bit of pride in the fact that I've kept it after all these years, while most of my friends from that time have long since pussied out. At this point I feel like it's an extension of my body :lol:, it's part of who I am and I will never cut it, there is no other hairstyle option for me...also because if I ever did, I know I'd want to grow it back and for us with thick, curly hair, the "Kurt Cobain" phase is more like the "jewfro" phase. No, I'd rather look like Erik Rutan or Jim Matheos than fuckin' Jonah Hill or Seth Rogan :lol:.

As far as maintaining it...I've never had a problem. True, sometimes "combing" is more like a "ripping & tearing" sensation :lol:, but I basically brush my hair when it's wet and it's no problem. I've long since gotten used to it.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:00 pm 

I'm gonna hop on the 'queer and a fan of long-haired men and short-haired women' train that we got going on in this thread.
Personally, I've got long hair. It goes most of the way down my shoulder blades, so it's gotten to about the length I'd like it. I don't see myself cutting it any time soon. I've gotten too used to it at this point and I think it's probably my most attractive feature.

Luvers666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 pm 

My hair is naturally a deep dark shade of red, close to the color of blood, and, at one point, ended just past my waist. Once it became like blood, a cut was required but was cut extremely short. It has stopped growing now halfway down my back.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:19 pm 

I had shoulder length hair but then got to Korea and had to cut it. I asked all the K-girls and maybe 2 out of ~200 said they liked my long hair. For ease, short hair by far. Learned that you can make that shit work nicccccce. Long hair was cool but it was a bitch to manage. Plus I've had the military cut for +6 years so I just kind of revolve around that now.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:01 pm 

I had crazy long hair for most of my school life but I chopped it all off and I think I look way better. I have an undercut/Hitler Youth haircut now and I've been debating on whether I should keep growing out the top and keep the back and sides down to a #1.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:09 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
@Xlxlx Shaving it all off sounds really appealing purely because of convenience. I just don't think it would fit me at all.

That really depends on the shape of your head, for the most part. Some guys look like a friggin' lollipop with a shaved head, while others really pull it off. It's also not recommended if you have, like, lots of scars up there. Makes ya look like a skinhead or something :lol:
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:51 am 

Makino wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

I'm a woman who is very much into other women, though I've been in a devoted relationship with a man for years now. It has very possibly affected my opinion on many things related to aesthetics. It's good to come across an LGBT person on MA.

:beer: We need more women (and queers!) on MA. Such a sausage fest haha.

I used to have long hair but I got rid of it like a bit more than 2 years ago. I even shaved the whole thing twice and only kept the beard. I also grew a big beard while I had short hair. I shaved my hair before Christmas this year but I've been growing it since then since I want to have long hair again. Starting to look decent but the phase between short and long hair is awkward and annoying.
Pic of me with shaved hair:
Spoiler: show

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:58 am 

I grew my hair out a few times in high school, with the longest it got being roughly shoulder-length. I shave my head now because I'm awkwardly balding and because I've always been a fan of the shaved head/beard look.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 am 

Bald/beard is a tried and tested combo.

I had like shoulder length hair in high school but since college I've had the buzzed on the sides and longer on the top look. I'm a fan. It's easy to maintain and looks good.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:16 am 

I would love an on/off button between work and my free time. Got super long hair but it's stuck in a boring pony tail most of the time.

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 am 

I have not short hair but something similar to "Beatle style". Long hair is something impossible for me taking into acount what sort of hair I have. Anyway it must be very toilsome to take care of it.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:51 am 

I hope the guys in this thread complaining about the "difficulty" of having long hair don't have pets or kids, or even worse, a cast iron pan.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:05 am 

I don't get how anyone can do bald/beard. Hair is nice and soft, protects you from cold and heat - while beard is rough, itchy and uncomfortable.

It just seems like the worst of both worlds. Medium to long hair and clean-shaven is the best.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:58 am 

I don't have a preference between long and short hair, I just think that some persons look better with short hair and others with long hair.

I grew my hair when I was 16 just for a change and it looked awful. Though when I got short hair it looks wavy when I grow it it gets totally curly, but curly in a chaotic way. Some parts of my hair were almost totally striaght and others were afro-like curly, the result was awful. No one (including myself) liked how it looked on me. Even so, I became kind of reluctant to cut it and I didn't do it until I was 19.

Now I wear short hair, a little bit shorter on the sides in a kind of mowhawk style ad usually with some grease or wax. After trying several hairstyles this was the one that looked better so I sticked to it. I've shaved my head several times and it also looked awful on me because I have and egg-shaped head (that's why I am so afraid of getting bald).

Anyway, I have friends who wear long hair and it looks wonderful on them, I would never recommend them to cut it.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:07 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Sometimes I miss my long hair (I started shaving my head around a year ago), especially when headbanging

Yeah, I also miss it when headbanging :-D

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:01 am 

Suppose I might be in the minority but I think long hair looks feminine on men unless they have the right physique for it. Certainly wouldn't look great on me and very rarely have I ever liked the look on others. But to each his or her own, I couldn't care less what anyone looks like.

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 am 

Fuck all hair, everywhere, always. It's a hassle and it's a pain in the ass to maintain. Just shave everything, everywhere, always. It's great! No hair. It's great.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:46 am 

I tried the long hair thing from the moment I turned 18 on. But my hair is kinda thin so once it grew past a certain point it'd get messy. I lose control of my hair if it grows past the middle of my neck. My type of hair only looks good when it's straight. I've always envied people with naturally strong curly hair.

I got a haircut sometime ago. Buzzcut to boot. I don't dislike it, but I can't wait for it to grow a bit significantly. However, I am balding and already have a bit of receding hair so I don't think my hair will be able to grow much again. I mean balding is not the end of the world but I kinda like my medium/light brown hair, you know? Despite its flaws. But eh...

acid_bukkake
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:52 am 

My hair grows so damn fast that I can alternate between having it long and keeping it short every couple of years. I had a buzzed head two years ago and now it's a few inches past my shoulders, with last year seeing a cut every few months. The longest I've had it was down to my waist.

Nolan_B wrote:
Always a bad idea to get black out drunk while hanging around bearded Russian mystics.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:00 am 

I used to have hair down to my shoulders in high school, and then just regular short hair. But my hair is just the type that never does what I want it to, so for the past two years I've just kept it shaved to a buzzcut. Much easier to manage.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:34 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
My hair grows so damn fast that I can alternate between having it long and keeping it short every couple of years. I had a buzzed head two years ago and now it's a few inches past my shoulders, with last year seeing a cut every few months. The longest I've had it was down to my waist.

The longest my hair has gotten was about 1cm-2cm past the top of my shoulders. It took about a year to reach that far. Never had hair down to my waist but I know a guy who did and he told me that, beyond a certain point, hair growth will slow down significantly. Maybe that was just his case, dunno.

The funniest thing about the longer your hair gets is the different color shades that might show up. The longest my hair got the more lose lighter brown hairs would pop up. I know people to whom this happens in their facial hair even. And speaking of that, I've always disliked how my hair is brown but my facial and body hair are black. Doesn't make a good combo, imo. When I was a kid I always wanted to have natural black hair for some odd reason, so maybe I was predicting the future lol

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:26 am 

Yeah my facial hair does that. It only started recently too. I have super super dark brown hair that's pretty much black and it has always been that way, but recently my facial hair has been growing in with lots of red. I can't help but like it, but it is weird.

My bass covers. Latest cover: Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom"

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:33 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Yeah my facial hair does that. It only started recently too. I have super super dark brown hair that's pretty much black and it has always been that way, but recently my facial hair has been growing in with lots of red. I can't help but like it, but it is weird.

You're not the first guy I see/hear saying this. I knew this black haired guy whose facial hair(also black) would eventually start growing a few red hairs on his beard.

Is it only a recent thing, really? I mean, I know hair colour darkens with age but never heard about facial hair darkening and certainly not getting lighter with age.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:13 am 

About a year ago a couple red hairs popped up and I was wondering what the fuck I hope I'm not losing my souls or some shit, but as of about a couple months ago the red comes in pretty good. The more time continues the redder it gets too. I fear I may be turning...

My bass covers. Latest cover: Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom"

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 am 

I'm not sure who would win, but I'm glad to have a few of the short-hairs here on my side. On the OTHER hand you longhairs would have King Asshole and I don't really want to do battle with him. It would be a gory end for us all, I reckon.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:54 am 

I just hope the day I eventually go bald I'll be a bit more jacked, since being a scrawny bald guy would make me look weird. Like a Buddhist monk or something. That' why I need to get bigger in order to look like a badass by then!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:23 am 

I think long hair works for most metalhead men, but I do think there comes a point in your life between young and old age where it just looks stupid. Destructhor or that vocalist from Sadistik Exekution look quite bad with long hair and most middle-aged people would look better having it neck-length, at most.

My hair's super curly and at this stage it doesn't look that good and it's annoying (it's just beyond shoulder length) but I think it'll look much less freaky once it reaches the middle of the back.

Derigin, on Tim Lambesis, wrote:
Man, if only the rest of us could get money for our man tits this place would be a goldmine!

Ку.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:27 am 

Being a guy with super long hair also makes it difficult for you to get a decent job. So yeah, by the time you're in your early/mid 20s it's time to let it go. Unless you get a job where you aren't required to cut your hair that is.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:35 am 

Festivus wrote:
Being a guy with super long hair also makes it difficult for you to get a decent job. So yeah, by the time you're in your early/mid 20s it's time to let it go. Unless you get a job where you aren't required to cut your hair that is.

Can't you put it in a ponytail though? I've seen some eccentric professors that managed to do that but generally IDK.

Derigin, on Tim Lambesis, wrote:
Man, if only the rest of us could get money for our man tits this place would be a goldmine!

Ку.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next