Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Emptiness Cycle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:10 am 

Shouts and general activity seems at an all-time low. Hopefully the new site in Beta will bring a few people back. I've set up an account if anyone wants to connect. I do 99% of my talking there.
It would be a shame to see the site disappear.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:39 am 

I terminated my account earlier this year (must be like the 10th time I've done that :p). The new site would have to be a vast improvement in order for me to make a new account. I do like "collecting" scrobbles though, but I think I get bored after 20k or so.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:44 am 

I have no idea if that site is in decline or not since I only started scrobbling last May. I do realize that the shouts on most band pages are sort of non-existent, but I still see plenty of people using it and I get random friend requests/messages (not spam!) often enough.

Last.fm

Emptiness Cycle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I have no idea if that site is in decline or not since I only started scrobbling last May. I do realize that the shouts on most band pages are sort of non-existent, but I still see plenty of people using it and I get random friend requests/messages (not spam!) often enough.

Add another to your requests ;)

@Perdition666 - the new site is very, very good. There's a full beta preview to members.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:49 am 

It's incredibly how persistent that site is in staying exactly like it has always been. All I can remember them changing in the last 5 years is the visual design a little bit, which is an eternity in internet time. They must have a lot of faith in their userbase remaining loyal while ignoring any and all suggestions for new features improvement of existing ones. What is this beta thing you mentioned? Another design change to give the illusion that they're still employing a programming staff worth speaking of?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Sat May 30, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emptiness Cycle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 am 

inhumanist wrote:
It's incredibly how persistent that site is in staying exactly like it has always been. All I can remember them changing in the last 5 years is the visual design a little bit, which is an eternity in internet time. They must have a lot of faith in their userbase remaining loyal while ignoring any and all suggestions for new features improvement of existing ones. What is this beta thing mentioned? Another design change to give the illusion that they're still employing a programming staff worth speaking of?

http://beta.last.fm/about/whatsnew

It's worth a browse around. I like it.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:54 am 

I like last.fm. Even though it's a bit frivolous, I like to be able to see records of all of my music listening habits. In addition to that, there are a number of actual functional benefits. (The live music notifications are nice and the recommendations are just another way of exploring music) I also like the shouts and messages, even though virtually nobody shouts at me. :P

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

Emptiness Cycle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:57 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
I like last.fm. Even though it's a bit frivolous, I like to be able to see records of all of my music listening habits. In addition to that, there are a number of actual functional benefits. (The live music notifications are nice and the recommendations are just another way of exploring music) I also like the shouts and messages, even though virtually nobody shouts at me. :P

Fixed :P
Edit : Holy crap, I'm twice your age.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:08 pm 

last.fm has changed a bit in terms of use. It used to be popular for social stuff back in the 00's but since then has just turned into a keep track of gigs, scrobbles and recommendations thing for most people seemingly.

I do use it, primarly to get recommendations and to keep track of gigs.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:55 pm 

Yeah, I use it almost everyday and will soon hit 150k scrobbles. I find it pretty useful. My username's Begravelse if anyone gives a shit.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:22 pm 

I have a few complaints- mostly towards the complete lack of moderation on tagging schemes, but it's a fairly useful site which I still use. www.rateyourmusic.com tends to be a bit better as far as that goes.

I hate music

Reply to topic