Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm 

Really excited about this news. They way they set up the "leak" is pretty awesome, a really surreal paper trail leading through numbers stations, clandestine 12" releases and password protected websites:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/did-bo ... -hole-ever

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 pm 

holy shit! Most unexpected, awesome news

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:18 pm 

http://2020k.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/boards-of-canada-distribute-new-vinyl-releases-out-for-national-records-day/

Scroll down through the edits to the very end. People solved the puzzle and got information about the album title and release date. For the very lazy, it's an album called "Tomorrow's Harvest" due for release on June 10th.

I haven't really followed BoC since the last full-length, but unlike other fans who didn't like "The Campfire Headphase" so much, I thought the use of fairly untreated guitar made it their most compelling music to date. All the more reason to look forward to the new one.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:02 pm 

yeah, I thought it was their best by a mile. I guess the way I'd describe most pre-Campfire stuff is that while it was brilliantly made, it was also really rather dry. My PhD maths friend loves Geogaddi, and I'd say that was the target market for that album in particular..

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 am 

I was not all that into campfire and trans-canada, but I love Geogaddi, in a beautiful place, and music has the right to children (as well as the mixtapes etc). I actually walk around with every track they have ever done (that I can find) on my ipod....the 2 live bootlegs I've tracked down (atp festival and warp records 10th anniversary party) are surprisingly heavy.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 am 

Yep first thing I did was preorder the 2XLP. Been a fan of BoC for 8 years. One of my favourite releases is the High Scores EP especially for the track Everything you do is a Balloon.

Honestly I love it all though, extremely influential for me, reminds me of night driving in the big city. Very solitary music imo.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:14 am 

So, anyone heard it yet? I've listened to it about 10 times over the last week, and it's brilliant. Not as immediately accessible as some of their early work, but it's well worth repeated listens on headphones or a good stereo. Lots of 70's/80's soundtrack influences, particularly John Carpenter stuff.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 am 

Setting aside time to sit down with copy and give it a good fucking listen. Adore BoC.

LuciferianImperium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm 

Gave it quite a good amount of spins. It feels a lot more subtle than their other albums, I need to focus to hear some the background shit going on. I enjoy it. Not as much as Geogaddi(my favorite) or campfire headphase. Been a long time since we heard anything from them, a welcome return.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:23 am 

"In the early nineties mainstream electronic music had mostly become really terrible dance music. We’ve never been into dance music. We were big fans of all the great industrial bands in the eighties, so when dance music came along it was almost as though all that great dark stuff in the eighties had never happened. In the early days of the band our music was much more influenced by what you might call new wave or post-punk and industrial. We’d begun making very experimental music ourselves in the mid eighties, and then by the start of the nineties we were making melodic ambient electronic music, and it felt to us that almost nobody else out there at the time was interested in melody. I think that is why we gravitated towards the artists on Warp. It felt to us that there was actually a strong connection between artists who wanted to make really extreme noise-based music and those who wanted to make extremely minimal, melodic ambient music. Anything as long as you’re not just somewhere in the middle."

http://de-bug.de/musik/10677.html

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm 

Fucking brilliant news, love all their stuff but I must say the Hi-Scores ep mentioned previously is easily my favourite. Can't wait to give this a listen.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm 

SO freaking good.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:56 am 

http://mute2.rloc.eu/#vinyl-represses-2013

Make of this what you will. Looks like October 21st. Honestly would not surprise me - Warp have just done all the Aphex Twin albums on vinyl again and there have been "hints" that they would do BOC

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
http://mute2.rloc.eu/#vinyl-represses-2013

Make of this what you will. Looks like October 21st. Honestly would not surprise me - Warp have just done all the Aphex Twin albums on vinyl again and there have been "hints" that they would do BOC

Link is dead, if you could re-link that'd be great because I would totally buy represses.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:29 am 

Ah, looks like they have taken it down.

Looked very much like a warp records page for the re-issues - all the domain name records pointed to warp. Very slick programming, way too much for a hoax site. It was specifying late October release dates. I suspect it was a development/testing site and they have realised that people have found it and taken the link down. Anyway, they were talking about bundle packs being available - buy the albums or ep's all at once, or buy the whole back catalog. Watch this space I guess.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 pm 

Aaaaaand, its back and official:

http://boardsofcanada.com/vinyl-reissues/

I just ordered the 2 bundles - $157 inc postage to Australia for 6 LP's.

Stoked - I've been looking for decent prices on this stuff for years.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 am 

It's a minor work by them. I've only managed to make it through to the end twice. I used to listen to Geogaddi all the time, and now I'm starting to think BoC is a one hit wonder band.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:41 am 

Expedience wrote:
It's a minor work by them. I've only managed to make it through to the end twice. I used to listen to Geogaddi all the time, and now I'm starting to think BoC is a one hit wonder band.

Hmm, one hit wonder? Have you tried the older stuff and the EP's? You have to try the Hi Scores EP if you haven't.

I think the track New Seeds on the new album is absolutely killer, and it's like the second or third last song.

Reply to topic