Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
King Crimson are perhaps my favorite non-metal band, and they defiantly have a few Flawless Victories up their sleeve. In the Court of the Crimson King is perfect, every note of it - even the fuckery at the end of 'Moonchild'. It is so eerie and dark and morose, yet so colourful and inventive. Gotta love it. The other gem is Red. Red is perfect - fucking paranoia captured in music. Taut, claustrophobic, intense music. Not one misplaced note on this album either.

I always felt that the jazz fuckery at the end of Moonchild always killed it for me. It would be a perfect album if they didn't have it for so long. Yeah Red is amazing. I love Fallen Angel.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 am 

Moonchild paints such a perfect picture of evening for me, and that fuckery at the end reminds me of my black cat slinking around the house at night, falling off of tables and chasing invisible frogs and whatnot. So it all goes together. I could see how it would kill the song for some, though.

Isn't Red amazing? The title track is just a fucking masterful mindfuck, and let us not forget Starless! Everything on that album. Chills. Fucking everywhere.

MrFister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:01 am 

I have Smurfs CD :-D It's like over 10 years old.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:20 am 

Moonchild paints such a perfect picture of evening for me, and that fuckery at the end reminds me of my black cat slinking around the house at night, falling off of tables and chasing invisible frogs and whatnot. So it all goes together. I could see how it would kill the song for some, though.

Isn't Red amazing? The title track is just a fucking masterful mindfuck, and let us not forget Starless! Everything on that album. Chills. Fucking everywhere.

Ever listen to Lark's Tongue In Aspic? Have only really listened to the title track. I love when the main riff comes in though. Also the really strange riff after.. you'll know what I'm talking about. They were way ahead of their time.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:52 am 

Defacedcreation wrote:
As several before me have said (however I'm somewhat drunk and loving this album right now):

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
The sound is simple but incredibly passionate. The singer is not perfect by any means, but conveys emotion better than any conventionally 'great' singer could.

Neutral Milk Hotel's name is ridiculous in some ways, but the singer/genius behind the music Jeff Mangum really has a way with words. They are somewhat scattered, but the images they stir in the mind are powerful. They're simultaneously melancholy, sexual, tragic, and happy.

What a fucking album.

Great fucking album, i even bought the LP. Nice Dylan feel about it.

Possibly the uncoolest of all the classic indie records in the 90's.

Defacedcreation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Possibly the uncoolest of all the classic indie records in the 90's.
[quote="lennonlikesmetal"]

What exactly do you mean by uncoolest? (Just curious).

Also, Demon Days is amazing. Gorillaz (Damon Albarn) is a an incredible musician. It's very difficult to appreciate his musical talents looking at specific songs or singles. The beauty of his work comes out in the way that his albums are built. The meaning in them can only be fully derived by listening to the full album. Similarly to a novel, he builds a story and atmosphere throughout every album that few artists/producers are able to.

Also, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but:

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
I liked Kanye's Graduation album. It had awesome raps and great production. If there is anything that Kanye has done, it is perfecting the use of samples and backing tracks in his songs. The beats aren't necessarily astounding, but the emotion and ideas conveyed by his production are unparalleled (Look at Jay-Z's "Lucifer" for early evidence of this).

This album is his magnum opus, I believe. It combines the brash, boastful Kanye from his earlier works with a new-found self-criticism and distaste that can be heard in every one of the tracks. The samples are excellent, the collaborators are on an epic scale, and the lyrics are as honest as you can find anywhere. There is no gangster hip hop bravado in this album. There is no pimpin, no thuggin. It is a grandiose, mad, and unmatchable reflection on what it is to be an entertainer of Kanye West's calibre.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:15 pm 

Defacedcreation wrote:
What exactly do you mean by uncoolest? (Just curious).

Well compared to albums like Weezer, Odelay, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain etc. There was no hit/breakout singles anything upon release. Took a while for most people to catch on to Aeroplanes genius, and now it's seen as a classic.

The legendary Guided By Voices went through a similar thing.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:22 pm 

Been spending a bit of time with Nick Drake - Pink Moon lately. Beautiful, and pure rawness. All his stuff is great actually.

drewwilliam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:30 am 

Thanks for providing these album names to us..Actually, I want to know latest list of heart discography, please also provide it to me. Thanks

heart discography

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:25 am 

T-Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4oye57zpQ
The whole release is amazing!
LSD - Life Sex and Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josoQvU9b_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpxlrWTd ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAumBFk ... re=related

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:47 am 

Ok, I went through 2 pages of this and found some great albums! Thank you guys. Will be interested to know what else is in here :D
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:53 pm 

hot chocolate - everyone's a winner, what a cool tune! i just 'discovered' this the other day and really like it, how catchy can one song be?!

video/audio link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubCItLvNhE

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 pm 

The first one off the top of my head is queen greatest hits album

Also pink floyd's dark side of the moon, the wall and wish you were here

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:04 pm 

queen have 4 greatest hits albums now i think?

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:07 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
queen have 4 greatest hits albums now i think?

The one with the all time classics like "we are the champions" "bohemian rhapsody" "another one bites the dust" "someone to love" "killer queen" "bicycle" etc,

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm 

well that's interesting, apparently different countries had different track listings, i never knew that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_H ... ck_listing

Mayhem1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:30 pm 

I know im going to get shit for this but i love Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral was my first album i owned(Im only 15 =p) and i still till this day will listen to whole album once or twice a month. Others would include Led Zeppelin-4, The Doors- The Doors, Misfits-Walk Among us, Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon, Nirvana- Nevermind, Tool-Aenima, Charged GBH- City Baby Attacked by Rats,Boston- Boston and Ac/Dc- Highway to Hell

NoisyPanther
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 pm 

I don't know if anyone shares my opinion (never bothered to read the full thread), but I don't like giving 100% to anything. Although, the closest things I can think of are Dynasty Warriors 4 and The King of Fighters 2000 soundtracks (yeah, video game music albums).

For non-video game and non-metal, I'd say any François Pérusse album (he's a Québecois comedian, and I think he's hilarious).

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:37 pm 

Mayhem1349 wrote:
I know im going to get shit for this but i love Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral was my first album i owned(Im only 15 =p) and i still till this day will listen to whole album once or twice a month.

downward spiral and the fragile are great albums. Youll catch no shit from me :-D

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:48 pm 

i recently got NIN 'broken' but typically it was missing the mini cd

TRexJoser
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:17 am 

Soundgarden - Superunknown

For an album exceeding 70 minutes, this one is very easily listenable from start to finish. There's such a dynamic variety of songwriting and influence here, that it is simply too difficult to identify any one defintive song off the album. An amazing vocal performance by Cornell, I should mention.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29 am 

soundgarden are one of my favourite non-metal bands, his solo stuff and audioslave aren't to my liking though.
actually i think he just came here recently? or will soon...

moshforce
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 pm 

Led Zeppelin - Led zeppelin II
Golden earring - the naked truth

Iconoclast_107
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:35 pm 

Steven Wilson's newest album Grace For Drowning gets a solid 100% from me. Same foes for may of the Porcupine Tree releases.

CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 am 

There are a few others that were really hard to not put on the list, but I wanted to keep it under control. I think all of these albums are phenomenal from start to finish.

Tori Amos- Under the Pink
Fiona Apple- Tidal
Fiona Apple- When the Pawn
Cocteau Twins- Treasure
Dead Can Dance- Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F#A# Infinity
Jethro Tull- Thick As a Brick
Jethro Tull- Aqualung
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson- Red
King Crimson- Discipline
The Mars Volta- Bedlam in Gomorrah
Pink Floyd- Darkside of the Moon
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
A Silver Mount Zion- This is Our Punk Rock
Swans- Young God
Swans- Children of God
Swans- The Burning World
Swans- Soundtracks for the Blind

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:52 am 

Pink Floyd - Piper At the Gates of Dawn & Saucerful of Secrets
I think both of these are easily qualified as overlooked in the Floyd discography. Piper to me is the best psychadelic album of all time including some of the most imaginitive lyrical concepts and jam oriented ideas. One of my favorite mindfuck moments is during Interstellar Overdrive when the guitar is doing the pinch-harmonic bendy thing.
Saucerful is much overlooked in its wholeness and really engineering the whole melancholic Pink Floyd trademark. This album provides full on nostlagia at it's best (ex. Remember A Day) and one of the most truly heartbreaking songs of all time, "Jugband Blues" which drowns in the line of:

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
That I'm not here."

Syd Barrett had his last moment (so to speak) and really shines in his god-like transcendence. This album also serves as David Gilmour's first light and proof that not only is he one hell of a guitar player, but an original guitarist in style and in contribution to songwriting.

Both albums represent the Floyd in their most psychadelic, jammed out, innocent-passionately emotional driven state, and really push the boundaries that to this day, which is still untouchable.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 pm 

I think Ten by Pearl Jam is great, especially the B side of that album. I think songs like Oceans, Garden and Deep are amazing songs. The entire album is phenomenal. The Les Paul vs. Stratocaster sound, with screaming solos still blows me away to this day. Even though I know after 5 or 6 albums the sound would of probably gotten stale, I still wish they had continued with that direction of music. I really don't care for anything else by them with the exception of Vs.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 pm 

heathinjersey wrote:
I think Ten by Pearl Jam is great, especially the B side of that album. I think songs like Oceans, Garden and Deep are amazing songs. The entire album is phenomenal. The Les Paul vs. Stratocaster sound, with screaming solos still blows me away to this day. Even though I know after 5 or 6 albums the sound would of probably gotten stale, I still wish they had continued with that direction of music. I really don't care for anything else by them with the exception of Vs.

Vs just pips it in my opinion. Classic 90's albums.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 pm 

I'd give Hel (the Swedish rock band) album Blodspar 100%. I really love it, great vocals and melodies. Never get tired of it

Explosions In The Sky - Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is also a flawless album to me. Great atmosphere and buildups
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:41 pm 

cKy - Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 am 

I would have to say No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical by Showbread. It was the first album I ever bought that was heavier than pop, and is a perfect post-hardcore album.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Deh Dabbler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:41 am 

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
Bad Religion - Suffer
Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Anyone like any of these albums?

Deh Dabbler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 am 

heathinjersey wrote:

I concur. Pearl Jam had some truly great stuff and Ten was probably their magnum opus. I love that they were mentioned in this thread, however, I wouldn't give any of their albums a 100%

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:09 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Explosions In The Sky - Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is also a flawless album to me. Great atmosphere and buildups

I consider Those Who Tell The Truth.... to be better.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 am 

Deh Dabbler wrote:
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Anyone like any of these albums?

Very much so. Loveless is musical genius.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:13 am 

Loveless is hypnotic. Can't say that I can just throw it on and enjoy it whenever - like anything, I've gotta be in a pretty specific mood for it, but it certainly is a wonderfully unique album that has some pretty incredible effects when listening to thoroughly.

Not a 100% though. At least not for me.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am 

Loveless is boring. Amazing ideas, poor execution, shit songwriting.

pefak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Pink Floyd - Piper At the Gates of Dawn & Saucerful of Secrets
I think both of these are easily qualified as overlooked in the Floyd discography. Piper to me is the best psychadelic album of all time including some of the most imaginitive lyrical concepts and jam oriented ideas. One of my favorite mindfuck moments is during Interstellar Overdrive when the guitar is doing the pinch-harmonic bendy thing.
Saucerful is much overlooked in its wholeness and really engineering the whole melancholic Pink Floyd trademark. This album provides full on nostlagia at it's best (ex. Remember A Day) and one of the most truly heartbreaking songs of all time, "Jugband Blues" which drowns in the line of:

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
That I'm not here."

Syd Barrett had his last moment (so to speak) and really shines in his god-like transcendence. This album also serves as David Gilmour's first light and proof that not only is he one hell of a guitar player, but an original guitarist in style and in contribution to songwriting.

Both albums represent the Floyd in their most psychadelic, jammed out, innocent-passionately emotional driven state, and really push the boundaries that to this day, which is still untouchable.

I totally agree with you. Syd Barret's era with Pink Floyd is remarkable and those two albums you mentioned deserve a 100% for sure.

Deh Dabbler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:01 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Very much so. Loveless is musical genius.

Indeed. It is one of the albums that really got me into music and changed the way I look at music.
Loveless is hypnotic. Can't say that I can just throw it on and enjoy it whenever - like anything, I've gotta be in a pretty specific mood for it, but it certainly is a wonderfully unique album that has some pretty incredible effects when listening to thoroughly.

Not a 100% though. At least not for me.

Definitely agree. I can't listen to it on a whim...but it's perfect for certain moods.

It's absolutely a 100% to me. The atmosphere and effects of the album really strike me even after dozens of listens.

And Wu-Tang is the greatest rap group ever.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:13 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Loveless is boring. Amazing ideas, poor execution, shit songwriting.

With enough volume it's certainly not boring for me. Poor execution? The production is/was quite different and takes a few spins. Songwriting isn't amazing, but the vibe of Loveless is. There are other Shoegaze albums i can throw on that have better songs. Overrated/over hyped? Yes. Still every time i listen to that album i can't turn it off.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 43  Next