Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fpqxz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:28 pm 

I neglected to mention how much I love mid-period Bad Religion (Suffer through Generator). Absolutely perfect blend of melody and hardcore punk. And I challenge anyone to tell me that Greg Graffin wasn't one of the greatest English-language rock lyricists of all time. He was a true genius. These guys (along with the Dead Kennedys) defined the sound and feel of political punk, at least on my side of the Atlantic.

Some of BR's later stuff was pretty good, but it varied in quality. But with this span of four albums, they quite literally went 4-for-4. Not a single weak track on any of them.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:25 am 

MortalScum wrote:
Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
I may not know much about post rock, but dammit this is a good album. It has this atmosphere that is calming, sad, and happy all at once, somehow. I highly recommend it to anyone here.

That album is fucking boring. There are much better Mogwai albums. Young Team, Come On Die Young, Happy Songs For Happy People.

The Peel Sessions CD is probably the killerest.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:56 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
I may not know much about post rock, but dammit this is a good album. It has this atmosphere that is calming, sad, and happy all at once, somehow. I highly recommend it to anyone here.

That album is fucking boring. There are much better Mogwai albums. Young Team, Come On Die Young, Happy Songs For Happy People.

The Peel Sessions CD is probably the killerest.

It may not be the best Mogwai album, but it sure isn't more boring than CODY or Happy Songs. Boring is not a criticism I can understand for this album, coming from someone who has enjoyed the previous albums more.

It's got a lot of things going on, just like Mr. Beast, although everything happens a bit more slowly and subtly. It has some pointless songs, but all of them are pretty nice anyway, and some songs rock so hard I would count them among Mogwai's best.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 am 

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
The Stalin - Stop Jap
Yellow Magic Orchestra - S/T
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor
Rush - 2112
Yes - Close To The Edge
Roxy Music - S/T
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Lush - Spooky
Dre Dog - The New Jim Jones
Dre Dog - I Hate You With Passion
Jun Togawa - Suki Suki Daisuki
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:35 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It may not be the best Mogwai album, but it sure isn't more boring than CODY or Happy Songs. Boring is not a criticism I can understand for this album, coming from someone who has enjoyed the previous albums more.

It's got a lot of things going on, just like Mr. Beast, although everything happens a bit more slowly and subtly. It has some pointless songs, but all of them are pretty nice anyway, and some songs rock so hard I would count them among Mogwai's best.

Your right. Boring is the wrong word, i just didn't like any of the songs. CODY was quite mellow, but i enjoyed the vibe of that album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:47 am 

Yeah, I can understand not liking the style/atmosphere. It's much less ambiguous and more in your face. None of the songs have the hazy atmosphere of the earlier albums.

AreYouGammaRay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:57 pm 

Headstones - Smile And Wave

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:43 am 

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Kraftwerk - Die Mensch Maschine
Nas - Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die
System of a Down - Toxicity

And some House/Trance/Electro Live Sets I've seen

hnv1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 am 

call me a pussy but Franz Ferdinand S\t
groovy energetic and good rhythm
Jacqueline is one of the finest rock tracks in the 21st century I believe

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm 

A non-metal album of mine that definitely gets 100/100 from me is World's on Fire by The Prodigy. Classics like Their Law, Firestarter, Smack My Bitch Up and Breathe are better, while weaker songs like Take Me to the Hospital and Warrior's Dance are given life. Even tracks that are barely played are pulled out of the sack, like Colours and Weather Experience. Just one last thing; this must be played on surround sound speakers at deafening volumes whilst off your nut on... adrenaline.

shiduba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm 

schwuppe wrote:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Kraftwerk - Die Mensch Maschine

Absolutely agree with all of these. Well, maybe not Toxicity, that would be more like a 95 from me but it's still a classic. I like rap, especially the gangsta style but I still haven't even heard Illmatic (or that another album) and I am really ashamed. Might as well listen to that one next..

But Kraftwerk. So fucking perfect.

Edit: Yeah Illmatic is fucking good. Should honestly listen to this shit more often

AquaDiabolicom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:32 pm 

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
I have a soft spot for classics in rap, sue me.
Even though the lyrics seem mediocre,
the way he delivers them along with those old-school beats are just to damn catchy.

Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning
This album is pretty damn heavy considering it's the band that made, "The Boys Are Back In Town".
Not to mention the solos in this album are pretty bad ass.
The new guitarist did a great job.

Elton John - Madman Across the Water
I don't think I need to explain this one.

NightmarePersona
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:42 am 

I don't listen to very much non-metal music, I'll admit. But I still know a few albums I'd give 100%.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Before saying why I love this album so much, I should probably say that I freaking love Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd is by FAR my favorite non-metal band, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. That being said, I would probably give every Pink Floyd album a score in the mid to high 90's, but I would only give Dark Side and "Wish You Were Here" 100%. Now, first off, to anyone who hasn't listened to this album, you are missing the fuck out. There is a reason that this album is loved by just about everyone who hears it. It has poetically written lyrics that both sound beautiful and leave you with thinks to think about long after the songs are over. Just go look up the lyrics to "Time" or "Brain Damage" and tell me that Rodger Waters isn't one of the greatest lyricists of all time. And the band the lyrics aren't the only great thing here. The band shows their ability to write great instrumentals with such tracks as "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Any Colour You Like". Also, despite being recorded almost 40 years ago, it is still more psychedelic than anything else released since imo. While each track is amazing, and could easily be the standout track of any other album, the only way to listen to Dark Side is from beginning to end. So for those who have never heard it, go and buy or download the album, smoke a bowl or two, turn your speakers up to max, and get ready for one of the greatest musical experiences of your life.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
I never can decide whether this one or Dark Side is my favorite Pink Floyd album. Where dark side is spacey and psychedelic, this one tells a story. The story of former Pink Floyd frontman "Syd Barrett", who went from brilliant musician to schizophrenic weirdo. The album starts and ends with the lamenting ballad that is "Shine on You Crazy Diamond". This song is separated into 9 parts, with track 1 made up of parts 1-5 and track 5 (The last track) is made up of parts 6-9. The other three tracks are "Welcome to the Machine" (My personal favorite off of the album), "Have a Cigar", and the title track "Wish You Were Here". Dark Side of the Moon is obviously the more psychedelic of the two, while Wish You Were Here shows off more plain classic rock type songs such as "Have a Cigar" or the title track. And what about the lyrics you say? Well, considering that this was still when Rodger Waters was writing the lyrics, they are of course amazing as always. Definitely a fantastic album.

Gorillaz - Demon Days
I know, I know.... I'm probably going to get a bunch of shit for liking an album by the Gorillaz, but hear me out. Demon Days is actually a pretty incredible record. For starters, let me say that I don't like anything else by this band. After DD the band seemed to get..... I don't know.... Happier. This also happens to be the only thing close to rap that I like. The thing that originally drew me towards this band was how dark they were. The first album was okay I guess, but it seemed boring to me. Anyway, Demon Days is definitely a very dark album, and has a very dark and depressing feel. Track like "El Mañana" and "All Alone" have a very dark and depressing feeling to them, but the feeling is consistent on most of the songs on here. Also, just for me it's very nostalgic, being the first album I ever bought.

Aphex Twin - Druqs
I don't want to explain this one. Just go listen to it. Trippy as fuck.

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:05 pm 

schwuppe wrote:

This. One of the few albums that I can listen to over and over and never get bored. Great music and awesome vocals.

plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:21 pm 

Quote:
Aphex Twin - Druqs

Haha yeah, not a bad record, but not a classic like ambient works vol. 2.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm 

I think that 100s are handed out far too lightly, far too often, in metal or otherwise. The only album that I can feel completely confident in giving 100% to is Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. It is quite the cerebral journey and the full sessions are also quite impressive.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:07 pm 

Maybe my most guilty pleasure.

Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
Meteora - Linkin Park

When the nu metal elements and Shinoda rapes were perfect.. don't blame me.

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Areskelian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 am 

ld50 wrote:
I think that 100s are handed out far too lightly, far too often, in metal or otherwise. The only album that I can feel completely confident in giving 100% to is Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. It is quite the cerebral journey and the full sessions are also quite impressive.

This is seriously like, one of the only good answers this thread has gotten so far.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 am 

I would give all these albums a 100%.

Pink floyd- The piper at the gates of dawn, dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals. A few others come close to 100% like meddle and the wall.
The beatles- Rubber soul, Revolver, Sgt peppers, magical mystery tour, abbey road.
I would give the White album a 100% except it has a few songs not up to par with the rest.
My bloody valentine- Loveless
Neil young- after the goldrush
The velvet underground and nico
Funkadelic- maggot brain
The beach boys- pet sounds
Talk talk- spirit of eden
David bowie- ziggy stardust

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:27 am 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
I would give all these albums a 100%.

Pink floyd- The piper at the gates of dawn, dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals. A few others come close to 100% like meddle and the wall.
The beatles- Rubber soul, Revolver, Sgt peppers, magical mystery tour, abbey road.
I would give the White album a 100% except it has a few songs not up to par with the rest.
My bloody valentine- Loveless
Neil young- after the goldrush
The velvet underground and nico
Funkadelic- maggot brain
The beach boys- pet sounds
Talk talk- spirit of eden
David bowie- ziggy stardust

Great list.

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock is probably just as amazing i think.

Few other Neil Young and Bowie albums you could add. Their 70's output had some brilliant work.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:58 am 

Cultosaurus Erectus! Where the hell did I put that CD because I want to listen to it right this instant.

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:51 pm 

CapricornSupernaut wrote:
A non-metal album of mine that definitely gets 100/100 from me is World's on Fire by The Prodigy. Classics like Their Law, Firestarter, Smack My Bitch Up and Breathe are better, while weaker songs like Take Me to the Hospital and Warrior's Dance are given life. Even tracks that are barely played are pulled out of the sack, like Colours and Weather Experience. Just one last thing; this must be played on surround sound speakers at deafening volumes whilst off your nut on... adrenaline.

..Interesting, will have to check it out.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm 

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Doesn't really need an introduction. If you enjoy hip hop, you should already know of this.

Currently Playing: Resident Evil 3 Remake

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm 

There aren't a whole lot of non-metal albums I can listen to straight through, but I did find two:

Bad Religion - No Control
Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview

Covoira
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 am 

Shinedown-The Sound of Madness

Unholy_Desecrator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:03 pm 

Dead Can Dance: Spleen And Ideal
Pink Floyd: The Division Bell

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:18 am 

Since I'm a big hardcore punk fan...

Shitlickers - Spräckta Snutskallar EP
Moderat Likvidation - Marionett I Kedjor EP (it's a reissue of an old demo)
Anti-Cimex - Raped Ass EP
Brutal Personal - Tala Är Silver Skrika Är Guld EP
Discharge - Why 12"
Snobbslakt - Anti-Disco Tape
Eddie Meduza - Practically everything!

That's some of the best stuff I can come up with at the moment...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 am 

Guys, I hate to be the one to do this in this thread again, but it will be closed soon if you keep simply namedropping albums you happen to like. Your posts do no good to anyone this day and they're not fun or interesting to read. If you're really into killing the thread, go right ahead...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 am 

So... what do we do now?

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 pm 

Tonatiuth wrote:
So... what do we do now?

Well, you could read some of the very early posts in the thread to get a good idea. The purpose of these threads is to get discussion going.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 pm 

plagueofangels wrote:
Quote:
Aphex Twin - Druqs

Haha yeah, not a bad record, but not a classic like ambient works vol. 2.

Those are the only two Aphex Twin albums I own, and I definitely enjoy Drukqs a lot more. I was really disappointed once I listened to all of Ambient Works vol. 2. Prior to purchase, the only track I had heard was "Rhubarb," which was a stellar track. Only about three or four tracks on the album even come close to matching it. While Drukqs is super good, I'm not sure if I would give it a perfect score.

HolyMoly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 pm 

Well, honestly, the only non-Metal Album I'd give 100% would be Led Zeppelin's Presence which in my Opinion contains some of the greatest Music ever made. Not only that it starts with a 10 min. epic, no but it ends with one too, Achille's Last Stand , and Tea for One respectively. The other Songs are not as long as those two, but they are really good in their own rights.
First of all are the Riffs, of course. They are great, catchy yet without being overly complex. A great example would be For your Life: The Riff is fairly simple but in my Opinion effective as hell, and in the middle of the song Page starts this kick-ass Riff which just makes you want to drive down the Road blasting the song with open windows on a hot Summer's day.
ALS starts with this simple Intro, which sets the mood for the whole song. This mood is dark and melancholic. Actually this dark, melancholic Atmosphere is found throughout the whole Album, partly because it was recorded in a shabby Studio. During recording sessions, Plant was wheelchair-bound, due to a car accident. His ''mournful'' vocals really add to thee overall mood of the album. Oddly he wasn't pleased with his performance, which i find weird, because, honestly his vocals fit the music hellishly good. The production is great, you can hear every single note, John Paul Jones' bass parts are clearly audible aswell, the drums, well, are great, the fills are great, and pose a great variety in the whole album, from fast and punishing in ALS , to slow and bluesy in Tea for One. The latter is, beleive it or not, one of my favourite Songs of all time, and yes, it is WAY better than Stairway to Heaven.
It starts out with an almost cheerful intro, but for me it has a somewhat dark atmosphere when you listen to the rest of the song, which lyrically and musically is pure depression. The solo is one of the greatest aswell, somewhat chaotic, somewhat melodic, and the lyrics, as far as i understand them, are about time passing so slowly, and being ditched by his woman - and the resulting despair.
Royal Orleans is the only song that is somewhat cheerful, it even has funny lyrics :P Look it up if you want to, especially the story behind it!
Nobody's Fault but mine is a great song aswell, but not as memorable as Tea for One of course, but Plant's Vocals and JPJ's Bass are a standout here.

Candy store Rock, is I guess the only track where Plant is pleased with his performance, and it still has this dark mood to it. I don't know, the album in general is a very dark one.
Well the last Track, Hots on for nowhere is weird, lyrically aswell as musically... I honestly don't understand what is going on O_o, but the Lyrics seem to be describe something unpleasant. I don't know.

Well yeah, that's it, one of hte only albums i'd give 100%.

I guess Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull is a close second, lyrically it's dark aswell, and the music is fantastic : Basically it's a 40 min. song ! Not quite 100% tho, but I guess at least 95% :)

Oh, and :BLARGH

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:43 pm 

I'd say definitely Selling England By The Pound & Foxtrot. Both Genesis albums. I love that era with Peter Gabriel doing the vocals and flute play. Anyone else think its amazing? The solo in Firth Of Fifth gets me every time.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:58 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
I'd say definitely Selling England By The Pound & Foxtrot. Both Genesis albums. I love that era with Peter Gabriel doing the vocals and flute play. Anyone else think its amazing? The solo in Firth Of Fifth gets me every time.

Definitely. There are a number of early Genesis fans on the board. I'm still discovering great things about these albums after having them for years. I'm not sure if I prefer Selling England or Nursery Crime. "The Musical Box" is a bloody incredible piece of music.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:02 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
There are a number of early Genesis fans on the board.

Early Genesis fan, reporting in!

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:08 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Harlequin_Fetus wrote:

Definitely. There are a number of early Genesis fans on the board. I'm still discovering great things about these albums after having them for years. I'm not sure if I prefer Selling England or Nursery Crime. "The Musical Box" is a bloody incredible piece of music.

Still haven't listened to Nursery Cryme much but "The Musical Box" is amazing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:15 pm 

The Musical Box and The Return of the Giant Hogweed! God damn those two songs are so killer, they make the album for me.

I haven't given Foxtrot enough spins but Get Em Out By Friday and Can-Utility and the Coastliners both really struck my fancy. Still haven't heard a note of Selling England by the Pound, but yeah, I'd definitely put myself down as a fan of the Gabriel-era.

edit: I'm considering throwing The Book of Taliesyn into the ring for a (near) perfect album. It doesn't sound anything like the Deep Purple we all know and love, but there is something so...magical sounding about it. I know that's cliche but there is a nearly impenetrable atmosphere going on here, some combination of the impeccable keyboard playing, the very very active and upfront bass, the unbelievable guitar leads, and the wizard-like intonations of Rod Evans. They completely pervert the covers for their own clandestine purposes. The whole thing, despite not being "heavy" in the metal sense, strikes me as very sword and sorcery.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:31 pm 

Yeah Can-Utility is amazing and so too is Get 'Em Out By Friday. Gotta love the sweet bass. Foxtrot seems more quirkier than Selling England or Nusery Cryme.

Defacedcreation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:54 am 

As several before me have said (however I'm somewhat drunk and loving this album right now):

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
The sound is simple but incredibly passionate. The singer is not perfect by any means, but conveys emotion better than any conventionally 'great' singer could.

Neutral Milk Hotel's name is ridiculous in some ways, but the singer/genius behind the music Jeff Mangum really has a way with words. They are somewhat scattered, but the images they stir in the mind are powerful. They're simultaneously melancholy, sexual, tragic, and happy.

What a fucking album.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:37 am 

King Crimson are perhaps my favorite non-metal band, and they defiantly have a few Flawless Victories up their sleeve. In the Court of the Crimson King is perfect, every note of it - even the fuckery at the end of 'Moonchild'. It is so eerie and dark and morose, yet so colourful and inventive. Gotta love it. The other gem is Red. Red is perfect - fucking paranoia captured in music. Taut, claustrophobic, intense music. Not one misplaced note on this album either.

Also, Felt Mountain by Goldfrapp is incredible. This is before Goldfrapp went all electro-pop or whatever the fuck, mind you. Felt Mountain is trip-hop noir brilliance. The music reminds me of those classic James Bond scores only chilled out against some soothing beats, and features angelic vocals. Think Portishead, only not as dense and not as depressing. Certainly a 100% album.

There are too many classical albums to name here. Leonard Bernstein's Nocturne: Music for Quiet Listening is one of my all-time favorites, perhaps the most beautiful recording of all time. Daniel Barenboim's recording of the complete Chopin nocturnes is flawless. Too much goddamn classical to list.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 43  Next