Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:29 pm 

My great-grandmother died at the age of 94, she had been in a nursing home for almost 10 years and didn't remember anything from day to day. She had Alzheimer's and it really started to wear on her and the family. She would get hurt and not remember where the phone was to call for help. She would forget who all of us were, she started getting to the point where you couldn't take her out in public without causing a scene.

I remember very few moments where she was lucid and understood what was happening. She once remarked that things would be better for all of us if she just wasn't around. It was very saddening, and was excrutiating for my family. In a case like this I could support Euthanasia, especially when the person in question might at some point realize what's happening.

Now my grandfather is starting to show signs of Alzheimer's and it sucks, cause he always said he wouldn't let himself wind up like his mother. If anything were to happen and he wound up in a hospital I think the family would have no problem if he asked to be put under and never wake up. Still, to actually do the physical act of Euthanasia would be difficult for any of my family.

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:53 pm 

Kruel wrote:
I completely approve of euthanasia. But this isn't really an issue to solve 'morally,' especially seeing how most people on the forum don't believe in absolute morality(seen from the thread 'Beyond Good and Evil').

I didn't see that thread and I wasn't able to find it using the search, do you have a link?
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:36 pm 

This is exactly why people should make living wills, so your family doesn't have to make an excruciating choice concerning your fate should a tragic but non-lethal happenstance occur that makes euthanasia an option. If a terminal patient has specified that they would prefer to be euthanized, then that relieves their family of guilt in that regard.

As far as euthanizing someone whose wishes you are not sure about, then it seems to me they would have to be physically on the verge of death, as opposed to suffering from Alzheimer's as mentioned above. The only time a family would make a decision like this would be when there is a great deal of pain and there was no positive outcome in sight, or if the person was a vegetable for more than a few months.

I really don't want to ever make this call for someone else, and my last wishes are in writing so I know I will not put other people in those circumstances.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:15 am 

I support it, but it's definitely a trick issue, most people say they support it if the person is of sound mind, but that's definitely a term that provides a lot of room for personal interpretation. Plus some people will say that if you are of sound mind, you wouldn't consider the option of euthanasia, plus in most scenarios where I would imagine one would consider the option of euthanasia I would think it is very difficult to have the type of ability to make decisions one would ordinarily when in a highly stressful situation like a potential euthanasia patient would be in, ie terminal illness.

But in saying that however, I will always support an individuals right to choose what they wish to do with their own bodies.

The_Cyborg_Seadog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:50 pm 

I talked about this today funnily enough and it's a heavy issue. Personally, I believe it should be legal, however I believe the way Dignitas (with their inclusion of depression and a ridiculous 4 day period where the "client" can decide) and some Doctors (Dr. Kerkovian who made a living out of assisted suicide) go about it is absolutely wrong. I think each case should be judged on a case by case basis, in front of a Judge, multiple doctors, a psychologist and possibly a jury.

Duffy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 pm 

100% for, be it for physical suffering or mental illness.
I think it's an important topic that unfortunately isn't discussed enough in the media, particularly commercial news media obviously (because it's controversial/polarising etc.).
Interestingly it was legal not long ago in part of Australia but was soon after abolished.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2