Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:57 pm 

Having a blast revisiting the USG Ishimura. Love the small changes they made with the remake, such as the ship being a bit more open to explore, as well as the addition of circuit breakers, side missions etc. Dead Space is still awesome.
Fire walk with me"

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:30 am 

Almost 2 weeks I started playing Dante Inferno in satanic mode (Hard difficulty mode) and the devil on skates almost dragged me all over the floor. However, today I already have it 90% complete. What has surprised me the most and also given ordeal is that there are almost no guides in the game and that the obstacles are so extremely complex to such an extent that they seem almost impossible to overcome, which made me lose in the attempt up to 5 and 10 times. If it hadn't been for this, I finish the game in a matter of 2 days or 6 days maximum. 9.7 rating for this game, I loved it overall from start to finish.

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:10 pm 

I already finished it.

Veh3mence
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:35 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Having a blast revisiting the USG Ishimura. Love the small changes they made with the remake, such as the ship being a bit more open to explore, as well as the addition of circuit breakers, side missions etc. Dead Space is still awesome.

I agree, feels good to finally have another good AAA game release, even if it is a remake. Runs like shit on my PC, but thats on my end

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 am 

For some reason I decided to try out Fallout 76 and it's OK I guess. I get why people hated it at first and it's a game with 10 year old graphics and mechanics but I'd be laying if I said I'm not having a blast killing super mutant and scorched people in Appalachia all day long. 7/10 game. Could have been great with a modern engine and better single player implementation.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:39 am 

During the last winter sale on Steam I bought some cheap indie games and a Castlevania collection.

Alwa's Awakening - This isn't that good. It's a Metroidvania but the pacing is so slow and playing it feels like a chore. You move slow which makes exploring and getting around slow. Combat is just swinging a staff (slowly) when the monsters get right next to you. There are many retro inspired Metroidvania games out there and this one only has looking kinda cute going for it. 2/5

Alwa's Legacy - The sequel is better. Movement is faster and the world is bigger for more exploration. Combat is still dull though, but some of the magic abilities have more use compared to the last game thanks to the upgrade system. It's better but still didn't really find it that great at the end. 3/5

Cathedral - The best of the 3 games. It's like a Shovel Knight inspired Metroidvania. Lots of rooms and levels with different designs and gimmicks and bosses that are challenging enough, if not kinda bullshit at times. This is the hardest of the 3 and the difficulty isn't consistent (the other two aren't either but its worse here) Cathedral plays the fastest of the lot and offers the most combat and different level designs. Some of these levels suck though, there is an entire underwater area and its just not that fun. If you like platformers and Metroidvania games on the harder side you might like this one. 3.5/5

Castlevania Anniversary Collection
I do recommend this collection if you are a fan of the series or if you want to play the older ones, but only get it on sale. There are 8 games and you can play them all in English or Japanese but some aged poorly. There is a quicksave feature so you can cheese it and not worry about dying and having to restart a level, just save and load whenever you die. Overall I'd give it 3.5/5 but buy it half of or greater if you want it.

Quick thoughts on each game
Spoiler: show
Castlevania - Too short and easy by today's standards. I beat it in about an hour. 3/5

Castlevania II Simon's Quest - This game is fun if you know what to do. Similar to Zelda II, if you don't know where to go or what to do it will be frustrating and not fun at all. I played this as a kid and remember some of what I needed to do so it was easier, but if I didn't remember any of it I'd probably hate how slow and frustrating the running around can be. 2.5/5

Castlevania III Dracula's Curse - Unlike Castlevania I, Castlevania III is still hard and that quicksave feature will come in handy. This one has more than one character with different weapons so you can replay it. It's fun but its the hardest of them all. 3/5

Super Castlevania IV - My favorite Castlevania game. This one has the whip you can use as a grapple and swing. The bosses are more interesting as the game progresses and the difficulty feels challenging but fair in the later levels. The platforming isn't as bullshit as the earlier ones thanks to the grapple system and music to this one is topnotch. 5/5

Castlevania The Adventure & Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge - Both are these are terrible don't bother. There were original Gameboy games and they aged like milk. You move so slow, and your whip has no range and the black and white pixels hurt my eyes looking at them. 1/5

Castlevania Bloodlines - This is another great one. Rocking those awesome Genesis graphics and soundtrack I like this one plays similar to Castlevania III. Play with either a whip or a spear (spear op) and fight some creative bosses and enjoy some of the best level design these have to offer. 5/5

Kid Dracula - This game is really cute and charming I enjoyed it a lot. Your main attack is like a Megaman gun and you can switch its charge as you advance. The levels are large and spacious so if you die you will have to start all over which can be annoying if you aren't using the quicksave, but I liked how cute it was and the outdated look of this old Familycom game was charming. 4/5

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:33 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
During the last winter sale on Steam I bought some cheap indie games and a Castlevania collection.

Alwa's Awakening - This isn't that good. It's a Metroidvania but the pacing is so slow and playing it feels like a chore. You move slow which makes exploring and getting around slow. Combat is just swinging a staff (slowly) when the monsters get right next to you. There are many retro inspired Metroidvania games out there and this one only has looking kinda cute going for it. 2/5

Alwa's Legacy - The sequel is better. Movement is faster and the world is bigger for more exploration. Combat is still dull though, but some of the magic abilities have more use compared to the last game thanks to the upgrade system. It's better but still didn't really find it that great at the end. 3/5

Cathedral - The best of the 3 games. It's like a Shovel Knight inspired Metroidvania. Lots of rooms and levels with different designs and gimmicks and bosses that are challenging enough, if not kinda bullshit at times. This is the hardest of the 3 and the difficulty isn't consistent (the other two aren't either but its worse here) Cathedral plays the fastest of the lot and offers the most combat and different level designs. Some of these levels suck though, there is an entire underwater area and its just not that fun. If you like platformers and Metroidvania games on the harder side you might like this one. 3.5/5

Castlevania Anniversary Collection
I do recommend this collection if you are a fan of the series or if you want to play the older ones, but only get it on sale. There are 8 games and you can play them all in English or Japanese but some aged poorly. There is a quicksave feature so you can cheese it and not worry about dying and having to restart a level, just save and load whenever you die. Overall I'd give it 3.5/5 but buy it half of or greater if you want it.

Quick thoughts on each game
Spoiler: show
Castlevania - Too short and easy by today's standards. I beat it in about an hour. 3/5

Castlevania II Simon's Quest - This game is fun if you know what to do. Similar to Zelda II, if you don't know where to go or what to do it will be frustrating and not fun at all. I played this as a kid and remember some of what I needed to do so it was easier, but if I didn't remember any of it I'd probably hate how slow and frustrating the running around can be. 2.5/5
This is off the top of my head: MOQD KVCW TVKU VZJC. That's the code for the Fire Whip and pretty much everything.

Castlevania III Dracula's Curse - Unlike Castlevania I, Castlevania III is still hard and that quicksave feature will come in handy. This one has more than one character with different weapons so you can replay it. It's fun but its the hardest of them all. 3/5

Super Castlevania IV - My favorite Castlevania game. This one has the whip you can use as a grapple and swing. The bosses are more interesting as the game progresses and the difficulty feels challenging but fair in the later levels. The platforming isn't as bullshit as the earlier ones thanks to the grapple system and music to this one is topnotch. 5/5

Castlevania The Adventure & Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge - Both are these are terrible don't bother. There were original Gameboy games and they aged like milk. You move so slow, and your whip has no range and the black and white pixels hurt my eyes looking at them. 1/5

Castlevania Bloodlines - This is another great one. Rocking those awesome Genesis graphics and soundtrack I like this one plays similar to Castlevania III. Play with either a whip or a spear (spear op) and fight some creative bosses and enjoy some of the best level design these have to offer. 5/5

Kid Dracula - This game is really cute and charming I enjoyed it a lot. Your main attack is like a Megaman gun and you can switch its charge as you advance. The levels are large and spacious so if you die you will have to start all over which can be annoying if you aren't using the quicksave, but I liked how cute it was and the outdated look of this old Familycom game was charming. 4/5
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:08 pm 

Currently playing Ys: Oath in Felghana on the PSP to hold me over until Octopath Traveler 2. Thankfully a demo for it just dropped yesterday and I've been loving it.

Still need to play the new Fire Emblem...and Trails to Zero...and Atelier Ryza 3 comes out next month...

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:46 am 

I've tried the sudden release Hi Fi Rush and love it. It's a modern take on PS2-era action games. It's like a mash-up of elements of Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, No More Heroes, mixed with a healthy dose of Scott Pilgrim and Kill la Kill. Basically, everything is tied to the beat of the music, and if you attack by keeping up to the rythm, you hit harder and have other bonuses; but the whole world moves according to the beat, it's really awesome to look at.

I've also started Hogwarts Legacy. I don't think this one needs introduction. I guess even if you're not a Harry Potter fan, you could like it; it's set in the past, so it's all new characters, and the tone is closer to, uh, those Fantastic Beasts movie (the first one especially - close enough that you know you're in the same world, while being its entirely own thing). Exploring the school, the grounds and the area is great, it's very well done, and it fu;fills your magic schooling fantasies.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:19 am 

I'm not a Harry Potter fan in the slightest, but I might end up getting sucked into that game.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:20 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I'm not a Harry Potter fan in the slightest, but I might end up getting sucked into that game.

Same here. I'm curious.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:30 pm 

Around 12 hours into Hogwarts Legacy and it's really good. The alround magicschool stuff is charming as hell and on the other hand the combat is tight and satisfying. Also doesn't feel like a Ubibloat garbagefest open world. Really happy to have picked it up.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:20 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Around 12 hours into Hogwarts Legacy and it's really good. The alround magicschool stuff is charming as hell and on the other hand the combat is tight and satisfying. Also doesn't feel like a Ubibloat garbagefest open world. Really happy to have picked it up.

Same here, even though PC optimization is garbage. Tons of stuttering and FPS drops even though my RTX 3060 TI is barely hitting 40%. I should have picked the PS5 version, I will never learn.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:52 am 

It's a bit hit or miss on PC as to performance from what I heard. I was planning on getting it on Steam until my fiancé expressed her desire to bring Hufflepuff joy and havoc to Hogwarts. So I got it on PS5 instead so she could play as well.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:06 am 

Oh man.

The OUTRAGE at people playing Harry Potter is ridiculous.

Someone created a website that tracks who's played it.

Great use of your time.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:23 am 

Loving the Octopath 2 demo. Sea of Stars demo was good too. Can't wait for the full release of both.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:28 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Oh man.

The OUTRAGE at people playing Harry Potter is ridiculous.

Great use of your time.

I'm fine with people who boycott the game. Not so much with people who harass other people online.

Some people need to learn there is no absolutely ethical consumption, and there are far worse offenders. We have businesses who steal water and bottle it for profit, others that cause lasting environmental damage to make their profits even more obscene and others who literally employ child labour or other slaves. I get that Rowling is a transphobic cunt, but this feels like the ultimate virtue signalling. Also the game literally allows you to play a trans character.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:18 pm 

Agreed.

If you don't want to buy the game boycott it. Great. But, there's nothing constructive or helpful with harassing people online for playing it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 am 

Not to mention JKR is already rich as sin, sales from that game won't move the needle whatsoever on her power and influence so it's not like it would change anything. It remains and should remain a personal choice.

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Great use of your time.

How pathetic.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:14 pm 

OH MY GOD!

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:55 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
there's nothing constructive or helpful with harassing people online for playing it.

It lets people know (in a very blunt way) that they're continuing to consume and support monetarily the work of a disgusting human being, and if they are comfortable with prioritizing their own personal entertainment over the safety and validity of a very downtrodden group of people, they are also disgusting human beings. Drill it into their skulls in whatever way. They need to know. If that isn't constructive or helpful, I don't know what is.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:42 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
there's nothing constructive or helpful with harassing people online for playing it.

It lets people know (in a very blunt way) that they're continuing to consume and support monetarily the work of a disgusting human being, and if they are comfortable with prioritizing their own personal entertainment over the safety and validity of a very downtrodden group of people, they are also disgusting human beings. Drill it into their skulls in whatever way. They need to know. If that isn't constructive or helpful, I don't know what is.

Oh fuck off. I support trans people, I vote for progressive people, I fight back transphobia online whenever I see it, but I buy a game and I'm disgusting? And you support people harassing other people? Fuck. Off.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:19 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Beyond it being her IP, JK Rowling had nothing to do with the development of the game. The game itself isn't transphobic nor is the studio that made it. Harassing people online for playing it does nothing but alienate and is the ultimate pointless virtue signal - and probably does more harm than good.

And yeah Rowling has an estimated net worth of 1 billion dollars. Not buying the game does nothing to combat her views.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:44 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Beyond it being her IP

And that is all that matters. People who consume any Harry Potter related content in the year of our lord 2023 while making excuses or without getting the willies are absolutely worthy of being judged for it. The art cannot be separated from the artist. Therefore, by extension, spin-off works done by others cannot be separated from the universe's original creator. If the studio wasn't transphobic (or, at best, trans-skeptical), they wouldn't have made the stinking game.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:29 pm 

Imagine thinking an innocent tale about kid wizards in now Mein Kampf because J.K. Rowling is a TERF or whatever lol

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:20 pm 

Sorry LoD, but I have to disagree with you much like others here. We all listen to metal, so in some capacity, everyone separates art from artist. Hogwarts Legacy was made without J.K. Rowling's input, so I don't think playing that game is being transphobic or pro-Rowling in any way. It's more pro-Harry Potter. If I had to not play games because of shady characters, then I wouldn't play Borderlands or Anno 1800 because of Randy Pitchford or Ubisoft respectively.

I don't think playing Hogwarts Legacy or not is a black-and-white dichotomy of "you're with me or against me." People just want to play a good game.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:01 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
We all listen to metal, so in some capacity, everyone separates art from artist... People just want to play a good game.

I guess you're also fine with listening to metal music made by disgusting people because the riffs are good and the lyrics don't reflect the artist's views or are "just shock value"?

All that I have said appears to have just bounced off your heads, apparently, and that saddens me. It's pretty mind boggling that a take such as mine would be controversial around here. If you don't want people to call you sketchy, don't associate yourself with sketchy people or things made by sketchy people. It's that simple. And don't you dare for one fucking second tell me that, as a member of the queer community, which is directly affected by JK Rowling's influence, my stance is irrational or disagreeable. I think you know why you shouldn't.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:33 pm 

You haven't said anything to connects JK Rowling's transphobia to this game. Her being the original creator of the franchise is not enough to call everything and everyone connected to it sketchy. You would have had more of a point if the source material itself had anti-trans messaging.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:48 pm 

Y'all're a bunch of super defensive dorks that are completely missing what this whole fiasco is even about.

The whole drama around the wizard game isn't about trying to make JK poor, or about just pointlessly bullying people because every copy sold has a direct 1:1 effect on a trans kid being murdered or anything like that. It's about showing solidarity to the marginalized communities that by and large don't want this game being promoted because JK has actual power and is the most famous terf on the planet so hey maybe don't spend sixty bucks on just this one videogame. That is a shockingly fucking small ask. Seems like this was one of the first big tests for nominally liberal "allies" to put up when the chips were down and a stunning amount of them were unprepared and/or unwilling to actually do so, even something as trivially easy as *not* spending money on a product. If you can't manage something this god damned small then how the hell are trans people supposed to expect you to stick your neck out for them if/when it becomes illegal to do so. Supporting trans rights and being an ally requires more than just like, tweeting good. You have to actually have beliefs and principles that you stick to even when it's inconvenient for you. If you're going to prioritize your own frivolities over solidarity with a marginalized class of people, maybe don't be so shocked when said marginalized class calls you and asshole for it.

And if you don't care about trans issues at all and never claimed to, then most of the ire isn't really directed most pointedly at you but you can take solace in the fact that you are still likely an asshole for that reason.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:06 pm 

Yeah I don't care if I'm not perceived as being a good ally by not boycotting an entire franchise when the franchise itself doesn't mirror the creator's terrible views in any way. Especially when I think the effect is negligible or even harmful. Especially when other big figures in the franchise have come out in opposition to JK's views. That's not being lazy or betraying your principles. I'll still be voting for the most pro LGBTQ party in my country like I've done since I turned 18 and I'm still prepared to boycot actual harmful shit.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:09 pm 

Ahhh, apathy and refusing to take a stand for the selfish sake of your own personal entertainment. You love to see it.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:13 pm 

I'll take a stand when I see actual harm to stand against.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:18 pm 

If you don't see harm being done by Rowling's massive presence and platform outside of her fiction being a megaphone for disgusting views, then you have no right to call yourself supportive or on our side in the slightest. We don't want or need people like you declaring your support for us because it means absolutely nothing if you crumble so easily and refuse to stand with us wherever we go.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:00 pm 

Of course I see the harm. It's the most obvious thing. But I don't see how this harm translates over to/is worsened by a game made without JK being involved with the production/creative process in even the slightest way. I wouldn't buy something new she was personally involved in though. I'm starting to loop so I'll leave it at that.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:47 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
If you don't see harm being done by Rowling's massive presence and platform outside of her fiction being a megaphone for disgusting views, then you have no right to call yourself supportive or on our side in the slightest. We don't want or need people like you declaring your support for us because it means absolutely nothing if you crumble so easily and refuse to stand with us wherever we go.

I feel like there should be a middle ground between being pro-JKR and harassing people online.

Currently playing Atomic Heart and other than some minor problems with subtitles and the English voice over which is a bit too stereotypical over the top I'm having a blast. I can't even remember the last time I played a game this polished in terms of performance from the start, ditching raytracing at the last moment was the right call.

I'm also not getting the criticism towards the studio and the story, do people not realize the game heavily mocks the URRS, communism, Russia, etc? Do people not understand context anymore?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:09 am 

Not all harassment is equal. Some of it's justified. Good, even. Bigots, people who downplay bigotry, and people who refuse to take a stand against bigotry because they want to be entertained all deserve to be harassed. There's no other way that's as direct and effective to get the message across that their view of the world and the way they think of people is wrong. At a certain point, all you can do is say "You're an asshole and I'm going to treat you like one."

I would love to play Atomic Heart simply because of Mick Gordon's score, but the studio's crappy "apolitical" stance and refusal to delay the game to not be in very poor taste in current world circumstances has turned me off. I might pirate it at some point or just wait for the soundtrack to release.

Last edited by Morrigan on Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned 1 month for justifying harassment

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:45 am 

Fuck right off with saying harassment is justified for... playing a video game. Jesus Christ I always knew you were a moron with brain rot, but you truly have lost the plot here.

Even stupider is that this video game that will absolutely not move the needle in any way whatsoever with regards to JKR's wealth and power anyway, so frankly even the idea that you are a bad ally for not boycotting a specific product is a huge reach. It's not like you are financially contributing to a transphobic cause by buying that game, or contributing to a pro-trans cause by not buying it. It's like saying buying Call of Duty contributes to fuelling American propaganda and therefore you're enabling drone strikes, how dare you! You are now therefore an imperialistic pig and so let me harass you for peddling warmongering American propaganda and I am totally justified. :wanker:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:20 pm 

So I finally got around to snagging Cyberpunk 2077, like two years after it was all the rage. Enjoying it so far, but man, this is like the worst example of 'illusion of choice' in a video game I've ever seen. Pick whatever dialogue option you want, doesn't matter. Pick one of the special responses based on skills/level, doesn't change anything. Even when the game seems to very directly offer you a choice, both options instantly converge back into the same path, usually without even a cosmetic change. Pretty frustrating for a game that seemed to bill itself as driven by player choices and roleplaying.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:52 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Currently playing Atomic Heart and other than some minor problems with subtitles and the English voice over which is a bit too stereotypical over the top I'm having a blast. I can't even remember the last time I played a game this polished in terms of performance from the start, ditching raytracing at the last moment was the right call.

I'm also not getting the criticism towards the studio and the story, do people not realize the game heavily mocks the URRS, communism, Russia, etc? Do people not understand context anymore?

I pre-purchased this game. I have it downloaded, just haven't started it yet. It looks really good and I'm looking forward to starting it when I can.

Ezadara wrote:
So I finally got around to snagging Cyberpunk 2077, like two years after it was all the rage. Enjoying it so far, but man, this is like the worst example of 'illusion of choice' in a video game I've ever seen. Pick whatever dialogue option you want, doesn't matter. Pick one of the special responses based on skills/level, doesn't change anything. Even when the game seems to very directly offer you a choice, both options instantly converge back into the same path, usually without even a cosmetic change. Pretty frustrating for a game that seemed to bill itself as driven by player choices and roleplaying.

This is another game I want to get back into. I did play a bit of it like 2 years ago, but never returned. Now that I have a better PC, I think this'll be a much smoother experience. I do understand your criticism about illusion of choice, though. For me, as long as it's a fun game without too many game-killing bugs, I'm sure I'm going to have a blast.

Speaking of choice, I've currently been playing a bit of Detroit: Become Human. That game is intense, but only because there's a lot of choice. I think I've failed about 75% of the missions I've done, and I've killed one of my main characters twice already, but overall it's a really in-depth, fun game.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:03 pm 

Got Octopath Traveler preloaded and ready to go. So stoked.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937 ... 940  Next