Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:29 pm 

Thats another great thing about this series. You have some guys who are all-stars in this game but no guys of the Lebron or Kobe status or the past players you mention.

Hopefully Rondo breaks out and makes his way to that elite level! Probably not, but that would be very awesome. Rose, too, now that Calipari is at UK.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Thats another great thing about this series. You have some guys who are all-stars in this game but no guys of the Lebron or Kobe status or the past players you mention.

Exactly. Being this is a metal site, I can draw the analogy of it being like how most fans hold original bands like Bathory, Death and Morbid Angel in highest regard over newer bands that they inspired while still being a fan and listening to said inspired newer groups etc.

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 pm 

" Yes, I realize that there a couple great basketball players like Lebron and Kobe now but they are nowhere near the competors that their predecessor superstars like Bird, Magic, MJ and Julius Erving were. There would not be the style of play there is today without those guys nor the big marketing deals that Jordan inspired not to mention the style of play he inspired on the court.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but how can you say that Lebron is not near the competitor like Bird, Magic, MJ, and Dr.J? I have the utmost respect for those legends, but LeBron is going go down as one of the best ever. When he scored 29 of the Cavs' last 30 pts in that 2ble OT game in the ECF in 2007, that was one of the competitive and masterful performances ever seen. LeBron's first of many NBA titles with the CAVS starts this year. And also, screw Boston, go Chicago.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:24 pm 

The best as far as the best since MJ. But no matter how good he is(he is more dominant at his age than Michael was at the same age) but there is no way he will top Jordan as far as the impact on the sport.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:48 pm 

fiercetroll wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Neil Robertson is in the semi-finals for the World Snooker Championships, a feat that has not been achieved by an Australian since Eddie Charlton, in 1982. I'm happy for Robertson's success and hope he does well. To make the finals, he has to defeat Shaun Murphy who is currently ranked 3rd and the match is 4-4 after the first session. I'll be keeping an eye on this match.

Too bad its 9-5 right now

Second session has finished and the score is 9-7. Neil may be behind, but it's only two frames; nothing to worry about. Well just have to wait and see who can hold form.

- Tim Minchin

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:02 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
The best as far as the best since MJ. But no matter how good he is(he is more dominant at his age than Michael was at the same age) but there is no way he will top Jordan as far as the impact on the sport.

While we don't know that for sure, I will agree with ya on that point. There prolly won't be anybody who will have more of an impact on basketball than Jordan.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:07 pm 

As far as on the court, when or if (and it could very well be soon) Lebron wins a title, I certainly would entertain the notion that he might be as good as Michael.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:53 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
fiercetroll wrote:
marktheviktor are you by any chance following the Chicago Boston series?

As good as a series as that might be, I think you may not have been around or old enough to remember the days when Boston and Chicago played that '86 series where Michael scored like 63(BEFORE he hit his prime) points against the Celtics or the Bird-Magic rivalry. Yes, I realize that there a couple great basketball players like Lebron and Kobe now but they are nowhere near the competors that their predecessor superstars like Bird, Magic, MJ and Julius Erving were. There would not be the style of play there is today without those guys nor the big marketing deals that Jordan inspired not to mention the style of play he inspired on the court.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying, the series is just really exciting. I personally think that MJ is the greatest full stop and while I grew up watching MJ I recently managed to download some of his documentaries and only now do I fully appreciate how really great he is and the worldwide impact he had.
But all in all, I think the series is great for how tight it is rather than the for the players that are in it. I mean we have a thug in Rondo playing the series who probably should have been thrown out twice?

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 am 

Rondo is not a thug at all. If you watched him pretty much at all the past 3 years and in college you would know he is not a thug. He probably should've gotten a flagrant on one of those fouls (was it on Ben Gordon? I forget).

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:50 am 

Carlton almost pulled off a miraculous win against Hawthorn today. Fevola usually kicks those goals, but hit the post instead. A thrilling finish.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:05 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Rondo is not a thug at all. If you watched him pretty much at all the past 3 years and in college you would know he is not a thug. He probably should've gotten a flagrant on one of those fouls (was it on Ben Gordon? I forget).

I'm judging him from his past two games, the flinging of Hinrich into the scoring table and smashing Miller in the mouth otherwise I have nothing against the guy

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:23 pm 

Well Rondo is gonna have to mug people at home until next season because the Bulls are taking that shit TONIGHT. It will probably be a 17 overtime game or some shit and be decided by a questionable call at the end, and we will all remember this series for a long time. I'm really looking forward to watching this!

The_Cyborg_Seadog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:46 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Its so close I can taste it. I will be packing tonight and travelling up to Liverpool tomorrow morning to party-on-down for the night, then going to the game against Newcastle at Anfield. :) I'm so excited I could shit myself.

I predict we'll win 3-0, providing we get the early goal. Newcastle don't seem to expect much from this game, so hopefully they won't put up the same defensive show as they did against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Gerrard is back and will cause endless problems.

You better beat Newcastle. The only solace I can have this season is if the Jawdees go down.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:50 pm 

Before the season started, I was predicting that the Blue Jays might just be a good team. So far they are because they have the best record in the American League. I think they can really stay strong. Talks of them shopping Halladay are tabled for now. The GM was quoted as saying they would ask for a "boatload" in return. You know it's the Yankees as one of the teams that are interested. But they don't have any prospects or vets to give up for a guy like that.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:08 pm 

Toronto is doing far better than expected, but subconsciously, I'm still expecting the wheels to fall off. Maybe I'm just cynical.

To be honest, Halladay (despite having 5 wins) is not as sharp as he normally is. If Toronto does trade him, they better get something DAMN good in return. Personally, I'd like to see them keep him, cuz they do have a chance of being contenders within the next 3 years. Once McGowan and Marcum get healthy, their pitching staff should be formidable. Ricky Romero's performance (before his injury) was quite impressive (he was their #1 draft pick a few years ago). Plus they have a stockpile of other promising arms.

I guess my primary concern with Toronto has been addressed so far: offense. Its been pretty decent thus far. Plus, they actually can come from behind now. When Gibbons was the manager, they NEVER came from behind, ever. They also seem to rack in 10+ hits every game.

A huge relief/surprise for me his the performance of Aaron Hill. Not only has he proved he's over his concussion, this is the best I've ever seen him hit. I think he leads the majors in multi-hit games, and his average is around .370 or so. Nothing to complain about, for sure.

Scott Rolen seems to be doing well, but his power isn't quite there.

The 2 disappointments are Rios and Wells (Wells isn't doing bad, per se, but his numbers aren't clean-up material). I'm sure they'll both turn it around soon.

If Toronto can get some consistent pitching after Halladay, they could make some teams' lives miserable this year. And supposedly, Toronto can expand their payroll upto 130 million this year, so they could go after another arm or two if they're still in contention later on. I'd love to see them go after Jake Peavy. Him and Halladay would be a lovely 1-2 combo.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:08 pm 

If he gets shopped, I would like to Milwaukee go after him. I think that franchise is hungry to make another run after losing Sabathia. I think they could pull it off with a top prospect and perhaps with Prince Fielder(who they won't be able to re-sign anyways)

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 pm 

I'd shop him to whoever has the most talent. :p

The thing I LOVE about Halladay is, he actually has some semblance of team loyalty. I think his only condition for being there is that the team tries to put a contender on the field.

I think Toronto has a FAR better chance of contending next year than this year.

Even if Toronto shops Halladay, their future still looks bright, since their farm system is loaded with pitching prospects. Mind you, replacing Halladay (who's one of the best arms in the game) won't be easy.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:22 pm 

The team that has the most talent to give in return would be either Tampa or the Marlins. Those clubs are loaded with prospects especially the latter. Florida farmed Josh Beckett, Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez. Whether they'd be willing to part with the top prospects for Roy is another matter though as I know both club's GM's are quite demanding in trades.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:25 pm 

Not sure what type of prospect Toronto needs in return. Their outfield is shored up for several years... I guess getting a 1B, SS, and 3B prospect may be a good idea (Aaron Hill will man 2B for many years to come). And of course, no one can get enough pitching.

Rolen and Scutoro won't be around forever. Actually, Toronto has a 1B prospect in the wings, so they'll be covered there.

For the outfield, Rios and Wells aren't going anywhere, and Snyder is a touted prospect. Lind will have the DH manned for some time, I'm sure.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:38 pm 

If the Jays are still in contention just before the trade deadline, look for them to sign Pedro. Would love to see it happen.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:42 pm 

That could be interesting. I think Pedro, at this juncture, is asking for far more money than he's worth. Mind you, he's set for life, and he knows it.

I'd laugh if Toronto turns out to be this year's Rays. Stranger things have happened.

I think for that to happen, Romero will have to be a rookie of the year, and they'll need some other young arms to REALLY suck it up. Richmond I like a lot, actually. He's hung in there quite well.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
fiercetroll wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Neil Robertson is in the semi-finals for the World Snooker Championships, a feat that has not been achieved by an Australian since Eddie Charlton, in 1982. I'm happy for Robertson's success and hope he does well. To make the finals, he has to defeat Shaun Murphy who is currently ranked 3rd and the match is 4-4 after the first session. I'll be keeping an eye on this match.

Too bad its 9-5 right now

Second session has finished and the score is 9-7. Neil may be behind, but it's only two frames; nothing to worry about. Well just have to wait and see who can hold form.

Damn, Neil lost to Murphy 14-17. Oh well, semi-finals is nothing to sneeze at. It's worth £52 000 to the guy.

- Tim Minchin

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:13 pm 

The_Cyborg_Seadog wrote:
You better beat Newcastle. The only solace I can have this season is if the Jawdees go down.

I only just got home from the game. I left on Saturday morning and it is now Tuesday. I got so drunk up North. Its so cheap.

I watched the game, of course, at Anfield. It was amazing. SIMPLY AMAZING! Loved it. Will go to many more games next season. Newcastle were awful. We played them off the park after the first 20 minutes after we had settled. Seeing the playeres up close was surreal, but we were very good. Lovely passing, Yossi and Kuty moved well. Gerrard controlled. We hit the bar 3 times. Barton's tackle was awful. No Newcastle fan around me complained (I was sat in the away end, it was hard not to cheer for Liverpool). We played very well. :)

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Well Rondo is gonna have to mug people at home until next season because the Bulls are taking that shit TONIGHT. It will probably be a 17 overtime game or some shit and be decided by a questionable call at the end, and we will all remember this series for a long time. I'm really looking forward to watching this!

That was a great series, as close as it could get. Three or four of the games went to overtime,and there was even a scoring error in the last game. Not that it makes a difference, but it made that last game just a little more exciting.

As for my Pistons, we suck. Every game was lost by double-digits. What a joke!

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 pm 

Are any of you guys keeping up with the IPL?

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:49 pm 

Sir_Lucario wrote:
KC_Slaanesh wrote:

I hear ya man. My 2 favorite teams are Detroit and Phoenix, so really I don't care so much who wins the title. Good bsketball is always enjoyable, though. This Houston-L.A. series could prove to be interesting as well, since L.A. dropped game 1.....

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:26 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Sir_Lucario wrote:
KC_Slaanesh wrote:

I hear ya man. My 2 favorite teams are Detroit and Phoenix, so really I don't care so much who wins the title. Good bsketball is always enjoyable, though. This Houston-L.A. series could prove to be interesting as well, since L.A. dropped game 1.....

I'll watch the finals no matter who plays in them. I'd just prefer it if Detroit were there. =)

I'd really like to see the Nuggets make it. The acquisition of Billups has turned them into worthy contenders (Iverson... :fuck:).

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:55 pm 

NBA playoffs bitch!!!!

been going down to the sportsbar (70 plasma screens) down the road to watch the playoffs on ESPN. watched 2 games per week in the regular season (all you can get in NZ), but then moved to a place without cable.

i just hope Lakers dont win coz thyre soooooo overdone, and lame. i was hoping PHO made it to the first round but didnt (i'll just have to take them all the way in my Dynasty on NBA LIVE) other than that, MAGIC could be good. dont think CELTs will take it without GARNETT in the mix, though they are playing damn well without him. Rondo, anyone?

dont like LAL or HOU so that series is kinda uninteresting to me, but still watching it anyways.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:44 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
NBA playoffs bitch!!!!

..dont think CELTs will take it without GARNETT in the mix, though they are playing damn well without him. Rondo, anyone?

Fuck yeah. I was at the game tonight! and when Rondo drove for that dunk and everyone went fucking berserk, the guy next to me spilled his beer all over me. :(

Anyway, shame on you...they're taking it all without Garnett anyway. :p

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:32 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
NBA playoffs bitch!!!!

..dont think CELTs will take it without GARNETT in the mix, though they are playing damn well without him. Rondo, anyone?

Fuck yeah. I was at the game tonight! and when Rondo drove for that dunk and everyone went fucking berserk, the guy next to me spilled his beer all over me. :(

No no no, ur dreaming if the Celtics are gonna repeat. This is the Cavs' year. LeBron and the Cavs are on a mission and that to win the NBA title

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
Are any of you guys keeping up with the IPL?

Not much, but I'm forced to do tipping (I get a Sri Lankan cricket buff in my class to help me with it :P) but I know who the teams are and are vaguely interested in the results. It's already one hell of a competition considering it's young age, I have to give it that, insane worldwide following and all.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:14 pm 

MEGANICK89 wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
NBA playoffs bitch!!!!

No no no, ur dreaming if the Celtics are gonna repeat. This is the Cavs' year. LeBron and the Cavs are on a mission and that to win the NBA title

im not a CELts fan so i dont mind. i woulve like to see SUNS go somewhere, but shaq affected their gameplay too much, they used to be a fast team. i have nothing against CAVS. Mark Price, anyone? So wouldnt mind if they take it. maybe ORL as well. as long as LAL doesnt get it, im happy really

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Not much, but I'm forced to do tipping (I get a Sri Lankan cricket buff in my class to help me with it :P) but I know who the teams are and are vaguely interested in the results. It's already one hell of a competition considering it's young age, I have to give it that, insane worldwide following and all.

I live close to the Newlands Cricket Ground, in Cape Town, and the atmosphere when games were played here was a really enjoyable one.

The cricket itself was good too :)

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:48 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
NBA playoffs bitch!!!!

Rondo--next years league MVP! You better thank Kentucky for him! He's really the only reason I give a shit about the Celtics now.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:55 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
NBA playoffs bitch!!!!

Rondo--next years league MVP! You better thank Kentucky for him! He's really the only reason I give a shit about the Celtics now.

Yeah, Rondo had a nice triple double yesterday.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm 

Manny Ramirez is suspended for 50 games! The NL West is open again. The Dodgers still have a sizeable lead though.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:54 am 

Phil hughes that new australian opener is going to go down in the history books by the time he retires.... aready averages 70 runs per innings in domestic cricket.

Is playing county cricket warming up for the ashes

4 innings 3 hundreds and a 70 not out....

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:53 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:

I live close to the Newlands Cricket Ground, in Cape Town, and the atmosphere when games were played here was a really enjoyable one.

The cricket itself was good too :)

Ah.. too bad they moved it out of India, I had watched 2 matches live in my city and had followed almost everyone on TV. The atmosphere during the games, to put it mildly, is electrifying..
Following it this time around too!! I put my money on Rajasthan Royals to win it this time around too..

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:58 am 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Following it this time around too!! I put my money on Rajasthan Royals to win it this time around too..

It's so close at the top right now that literally any of the teams could win it, except Kolkata- of course :grin:

I'd never put money on something so unpredictable.

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:08 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Manny Ramirez is suspended for 50 games! The NL West is open again. The Dodgers still have a sizeable lead though.

Really, I think it'd be easier to suspend all the players that don't use 'roids.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 136  Next