Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm 

Cold Creek Manor - 3/5

Not the greatest thing ever. This is okay, but honestly, if you've seen The Shining, you've seen the best parts of this. The villain is too over the top and plastic, and the main guy can't seem to act well at all, and overall this is just a waste of time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:17 pm 

Les Revenants (They Came Back) - 4/5

Not exactly feel good movie of the year, this one. Les Revenants is a bleary, dark, blackened little "avant zombie film" concerning what happens to a small French city when the dead come back without warning. Nothing in this movie is really made clear, and I think that would ruin the appeal. It isn't really a horror, more like an amalgamation of that and a weird sort of dark science fiction, but it isn't trying to be. No, Les Revenants is not for those who want gut-munching action and staggering, face-melting aberrations crawling around, but it is a nice view of what a situation like this would really be like. Not as coherent and powerful as it could be, but very much worthy.

Audioslave666raj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 am 

The Postman Always Rings Twice(1946) - 4.5/5

Its a romantic thriller movie based on the novel by the same name.The lady in the lead actress is so pretty and the actor has done a great job too.I also watched the remake of this movie back to back starring jack nicholson and sadly it didnt match the quality of the original version.
The 1946 one has a very good climax that justifies the title of the movie very well.A must must watch.

EzraWeeden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:13 pm 

The Resurrected - A pretty good adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." I've heard people complain about it not being exactly like the story, but I couldn't complain. Highyly enjoyable, and recommended to any H.P. Lovecraft fan. I just wish that they wouldn't have changed Ezra Weeden's name to Ezra Ward. 7/10

House by the Cemetery - Pretty good Fulci film, better than City of the Living Dead, but not as good as Zombi 2 or The Beyond. Just like every film, it doesn't really follow a linear plot as it has some parts that just don't make fucking sense. The gore is good and it's entertaining enough for a watch. 6/10

The Beyond - My favorite Fulci film so far, the atmosphere is great and it has some pretty creepy fucking parts. The tarantula attack scene is stomach-churning to anyone who gets creeped out by spiders (me) and the ending is one of my favorite horror endings ever. Must watch for any horror fan. 8/10

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 pm 

I finally watched Black Hawk Down in its entirety (I had only seen parts of it before). Man, that was probably the most tiring-to-watch film I've ever seen, especially as I watched it at a friend's house at 2am. Non-stop, unrelenting intensity and adrenaline through the entire length of it, basically one massive battle scene, is something quite rare in most films.
4/5, as it eventually just got a bit too tiring despite the awesomeness.

Also watched Reno 911!: Miami before Black Hawk Down last night. Horrible, horrible film. Wasn't funny in the slightest. Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen, as it wasn't even one of those movies that are so bad that it's good. It just fails in all aspects.
0/5

Watched Kingdom of Heaven last night as well. The battle scenes were sort of nice (though with some suspiciously striking similarities to LOTR battles), but overall the plot, character development, etc. weren't very good. The start of the film seemed particularly rushed along. Not too bad but not terrific either.
2.5/5

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:38 am 

Balth wrote:
Watched Kingdom of Heaven last night as well. The battle scenes were sort of nice (though with some suspiciously striking similarities to LOTR battles), but overall the plot, character development, etc. weren't very good. The start of the film seemed particularly rushed along. Not too bad but not terrific either.
2.5/5

KoH had the makings of greatness, but it was crippled by the narrative reliance on Orlando Bloom: he wasn't strong enough an actor to carry the film, and neither was the character. An epic like this needed a number of story strands, and frustratingly there were plenty there to choose from. Especially considering the supporting cast: Jeremy Freaking Irons as Raymond III of Tripoli, Edward Freaking Norton as Baldwin IV, Brendan Freaking Gleeson as Raynald of Chatillon, Liam Freaking Neeson as Balian's father... How can you have these fine actors and choose to concentrate on bloody Legolas and his story?

Plus no Battle of Hattin = FECKING...

BOOOOO!

EDIT: On similarities to LOTR battles: How so?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 am 

Little Miss Sunshine - 4.25/5

For a movie called Little Miss Sunshine, this surprised me a lot. I mean, come on, just look at that name. Little Miss Sunshine. It reeks of "prepubescent teen girl flick."

Well, that actually isn't too far off, but when you consider that this is really a quirky, silly family movie that includes the word "fuck" an obscene amount of times, a grandpa that gives his grandson sex advice, and, most colorfully good of all, a scene where a dead body is smuggled out of a hospital, this is pretty damn good. Get it if you want something fun.

Jekyll + Hyde - 4/5

Such modernized tripe should be loathed by me, but I like this one. It isn't the most memorable film ever, but it does pack a nicely dark and creepy backdrop and a well done attempt at recreating a classic for the modern day. It shouldn't be stacked up to the original book, but it is a fine movie on its own, so check it out if you like horror.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:24 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Cold Creek Manor - 3/5

Not the greatest thing ever. This is okay, but honestly, if you've seen The Shining, you've seen the best parts of this. The villain is too over the top and plastic, and the main guy can't seem to act well at all, and overall this is just a waste of time.

Wasn't that scene with the snakes just awful? The whole family is running terrified from something like 6 whole snakes. That's a pretty "meh" movie overall. Dreadful music, too.

I don't know why, but when I saw commercials for that all those years ago, I was certain it was a haunted house picture--not a "mean hicks being mean to city folk" movie. Like a tame, uninteresting Deliverance.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Cold Creek Manor - 3/5

Wasn't that scene with the snakes just awful? The whole family is running terrified from something like 6 whole snakes. That's a pretty "meh" movie overall. Dreadful music, too.

I don't know why, but when I saw commercials for that all those years ago, I was certain it was a haunted house picture--not a "mean hicks being mean to city folk" movie. Like a tame, uninteresting Deliverance.

Yeah, it was pretty embarrassing to watch - I guess it was supposed to depict how sheltered those darned cityslickers are, or something, but really. =/

I guess I wanted a haunted house movie, but even the Amityville remake, which was as lame of a The Shining ripoff as they come, was way more exciting than this. At least Amityville packed some ok shocks.

Never seen/heard of Deliverance though.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:44 am 

Empyreal wrote:

That has got to be sarcasm. From what I can tell, you seem to be quite the movie fan and you haven't seen or heard of Deliverance?!

I mean, come on! First time a rape was featured on film!

Go now and order it. Watch it. Many pop cultural references have been borrowed from it. But that has to be sarcasm you posted. It has to be.

Fuckin' "Squeal like a pig!!"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 am 

Naw, I was just brought up pretty sheltered. :lol: Always discovering new (or old) stuff.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:49 pm 

Watching the Ramones documentary- End of the Century for the second time. One of my favourite bands. Watched Mask of Satan last night, it was okay, some great parts visually. Barbara Steele was hot. Both are available on google video...go figure.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Go and watch it now.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Naw, I was just brought up pretty sheltered. :lol: Always discovering new (or old) stuff.

Okay, you need to watch Deliverance right away. Blockbuster, Netflix, Hollywood Video, whatever--just get to it!

For crying out loud, there was a whole Kids In the Hall skit based on it!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm 

Haha, will do.

Basic - 4.5/5

This was a well-placed kick in the ass. Basic is not the most original movie out there, but it is an incredibly addictive, punchy and entertaining crime thriller with a plethora of twists around each corner - even if you don't like twists, the great acting and hard-boiled core of the plot will keep you interested.

The only thing I can pinpoint as being really wrong with this is that the plot twists do get a bit silly toward about the halfway point, but they are surprisingly well held up, and the ending is both dark and witty. Impressive movie.

ScaryMonsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:44 pm 

I saw Wall-E with my fiance and I tell you, I thought it was really great. The environmental issue is addressed in a way that couldn't be more unsubtle, but it was great fun and I loved the use of sound effects.

http://www.myspace.com/artanor

Artanor

REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:02 pm 

Belial_ wrote:
Seul Contre Tous (english title: I Stand Alone): 4.75/5

yeah. very good.

the only thing i didn't like was that 'you have 30 seconds to leave' shit.
if you're gonna put sth in your movie, then do so.
that warning was just a commercial thing, so that the movie would be talked about more.

Empyreal wrote:
The Air I Breathe - 4/5

yeah. very good.

A L'Interieur 6/10. beautiful atmosphere and music. on the other hand, it had some (like 7) plot holes and was unrealistic at times.

13 game sayawng 7/10. great premise and good execution. it makes you ask yourself what would you do for money. some situations were unrealistic.

L'homme qui aimait les femmes 8/10. main protagonist is fascinating, spends his free time only with women. he doesn't have male friends.

Obsluhoval Jsem Anglickeho Krale 8/10. a jewel from czech republic.

picture perfect 7/10. ok movie.

the life 7/10. about some cop working in a district filled with drug fiends. depressing. has a documentaristic quality to it.

Definitely, Maybe 6/10. too happy for my taste. takes too long to end, because you know it's gonna end the way it ends like 20 minutes before the credits start to roll.

Southland Tales 4/10. a fucking mess and a waste of time. makes me wonder why did i like donnie darko so much.

In Bruges 7/10. great in places. had many great lines and situations, and some things that would NEVER happen in real life. too bad.

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy 7/10. typical woody allen.

shanghai triad 8/10. some boy starts working for his mobster uncle's girlfriend. very good. never out of place. beautiful.

wicker park 7/10. good, but inferior to the french original in every way.

Un homme et une femme 8/10. clever drama. unlike a lot of man-meets-woman drama, you don't learn anything from this.

Identificazione di una donna 8/10. antonioni obviously can't make sth lower than a 7.

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) 9/10. excellent! like it more than the book, and it has all the good things from the book.

A.Tale.Of.Two.Sisters 7/10. eerie atmosphere's the strongest point of this film. great acting too.

pride and prejudice 7/10. good. dialogue is great.

I.Want.Someone.To.Eat.Cheese.With 6/10. if you like marty (1955) and/or curb your enthusiasm.

The Tao of Steve 5/10. general idea is true (and revealing to some), but the movie ain't special in any way.

Mang jing 8/10. dark in both style and plot. very good and non-preachy drama.

sivi kamion crvene boje 5/10. blah.

mediterraneo 7/10. good humor, fine acting. hasn't aged the best way.

Beerfest 4/10. had some good jokes, but overall it was shitty. and i like beer!

Ba wang bie ji 10/10. perfect. so far the best chinese movie i've seen. it even made me change my opinion of chinese opera.

davitelj protiv davitelja 9/10. excellent. dark comedy at its finest.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:57 am 

Just came back from seeing Get Smart. Once again, Steve Carrell delivers on the funny, and I think it's a good send-up (albeit highly modernized with product placement of iPods, Subway, etc.) of the original.

Oh, and Anne Hathaway is totally fuckable. :love:

8/10

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:17 am 

Just saw Smokin Aces, I thought it was pretty cool, some parts were a little cheesy, and they could've expanded upon Israel's decline a little more (some of the scenes involving Israel felt rushed), but the ending made up for it. One of the best movies I've seen in a while and made me want to start watching movies again.

4/5.

I also watched 10,000 BC. My shiny new 48" HDTV and 5.1 surround sound made it epic, but the plot left a lot to be desired. The tiger had a whole 15 or so seconds, despite being featured so heavily. The battle was cool, but the plot just felt like it was rushed to get up to that point. When the hero's close companion (yeah, it was THAT rushed that I forgot the hero's name) died, I didn't really feel sorry, it happened so suddenly and you had no real reason to like the guy that no connection was really felt to make it significant. He's also completely forgotten about in the end.

For a movie that clocked in at under 2 hours, it was a subject that would've been acceptable to exceed 3 hours in length. The timing also got very confusing as scenery seemed to change so quickly that it left you guessing how long it had been between parts.

3/5.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Haha, will do.

Basic - 4.5/5

This was a well-placed kick in the ass. Basic is not the most original movie out there, but it is an incredibly addictive, punchy and entertaining crime thriller with a plethora of twists around each corner - even if you don't like twists, the great acting and hard-boiled core of the plot will keep you interested.

The only thing I can pinpoint as being really wrong with this is that the plot twists do get a bit silly toward about the halfway point, but they are surprisingly well held up, and the ending is both dark and witty. Impressive movie.

That movie was playing in the waiting room the day I was sworn into the Army. I didn't really seem much of it though.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:45 am 

So we've all heard of Alien vs Predator, yes?

Well, what about the blatant rip-off, Alien vs Hunter?

It looks awful, yet I want to watch it out of curiosity.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:48 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
AVH: Alien vs Hunter is a 2008 direct-to-video film by The Asylum starring William Katt and Dedee Pfeiffer.

Wikipedia wrote:
It's often regarded as one of the worst movies ever made.

It's made in 2008 and is already considered one of the worst movies ever made? Wow, it must be REALLY bad.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:50 am 

That's why I wanna see it. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 am 

MikeyC wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is the most blatant and poorly-disguised rip-off I have ever seen. Hell, even the actual design of the aliens and hunters, and the promotional poster, are similar. I MUST see this.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 am 

Well the question is whether it's bad enough to be good, like Striborg is with black metal.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:54 am 

Isn't the Predator a hunter?

Anyone know where I could get some REALD 3D glasses?
Me and my friend are going to attempt a hexahop, and we can't afford starting later.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 am 

aChapo wrote:

Well, Wikipedia also mentions that "hunter" and "predator" mean pretty much the same thing. :D

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:56 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Well the question is whether it's bad enough to be good, like Striborg is with black metal.

Yeah, like Plan 9 From Outer Space.

aChapo wrote:

That's the point. :P

EDIT: Beaten by Bezerko.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:20 am 

Still haven't seen Alien vs hunter yet, but it seems promising, as a connoisseur of rubbish films I recommend komodo vs Cobra which I mentioned earlier in the thread, check that beauty of a terrible film for an example hilariously bad movies released recently.

However last night I saw House of the Dead, directed by Uwe Boll, that managed to be a film that is equally as awful as that movie, yet not funny. Seriously, that guy is the worst film maker on the planet, at least when I watched Plan 9 I was able to laugh a lot and get horrendously hammered playing drinking games to it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:21 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Still haven't seen Alien vs hunter yet, but it seems promising, as a connoisseur of rubbish films I recommend komodo vs Cobra which I mentioned earlier in the thread, check that beauty of a terrible film for an example hilariously bad movies released recently.

You should check out Boa vs Python, then. What better way to fight a huge serpent than with an equally huge serpent!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Nacherer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 am 

If you like [old b&w] gangster movies, men with hats, coats and machine guns?
Then the movie [1949] White Heat trailer is definitively the stuff for you. James Cagney [as Cody Jarrett] at its best here, also Edmond O'Brien [as Vic Pardo], Virginia Mayo [as Verna Jarrett] and Margaret Wycherly [as Ma' Jarrett].
One of the greatest gangster movies, imo - highly recommended!

edit: Whole movie in 11 parts is available on YouTube.

Last edited by Nacherer on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:43 am 

Also, the guys who made Aliens vs Hunter just make films that are basically low budget theft of other films, they also have a film called Transmorphers, and no points for guess what that's stolen from. There are some others, but I don't remember which.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:54 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Also, the guys who made Aliens vs Hunter just make films that are basically low budget theft of other films, they also have a film called Transmorphers, and no points for guess what that's stolen from. There are some others, but I don't remember which.

HAHAHAHA

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 am 

Holy shit, I need to see all those movies. :lol: Nice find there, aChapo.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:18 am 

I love I am Omega, takes from both, genius.

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:12 am 

The same company also made Snakes on a Train. :lol::lol::lol: Who on Earth would want to rip-off that already atrocious movie.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:43 am 

Balth wrote:
The same company also made Snakes on a Train. :lol::lol::lol: Who on Earth would want to rip-off that already atrocious movie.

I actually think they managed to rip it off BEFORE snakes on a plane came out... they're nothing if not fast working.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:48 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Yeah, like Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Apparently they are remaking it http://www.plan9movie.com/, I can't say I've ever watched it from start to finish it's like an endurance test :lol:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:19 am 

Anyone seen the new Mongol film or whatever it's called, I'll refrain from calling it Mongloid.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 am 

American Psycho - I'm just going on a bit of a CB binge in anticipation of The Dark Knight, really really captivating performance by CB.

The Usual Suspects - Well its starting to live up to the hype that surrounded my watching of this movie. Really well thought out movie although I'm not sure how he could act so crippled and just change at his own free will.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 819  Next