Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:21 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Medal of Honor also had GC games. But yeah... I'd rather GC didn't have them or CoD games for that matter either.
Well you can't blame Nintendo for not catering to all tastes, Nintendo were certainly about variety and catering to all ages during the Gamecube.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
I agree with you. Also, because Nintendo's attempts at deviating from the series' status quo almost always end badly. Super Princess Peach, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Star Fox Adventure, etc

I thought people generally liked Adventures? They sure seem to prefer it to Assault.

Tanuki wrote:

Eh, don't feel bad, I've only played Revengeance all the way through. The MGS series is always something I've had more fun watching other people play because I suck at it. And geez, good luck following the story. English is my only language and I still had no idea what was going on.

Some people watch those games as a movie on youtube. Maybe I oughta try that someday.

And I didn't play A LOT of big games considering the only Sony console I've owned was a PS2 and never owned MS consoles. I've mostly played on Nintendo and Sega consoles.

volutetheswarth wrote:
Festivus wrote:
Medal of Honor also had GC games. But yeah... I'd rather GC didn't have them or CoD games for that matter either.
Well you can't blame Nintendo for not catering to all tastes, Nintendo were certainly about variety and catering to all ages during the Gamecube.

I was being facetious.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:32 pm 

Star Fox Adventures isn't nearly as bad as people say. Go into it expecting nothing but Arwing gameplay and you'll be disappointed but I rather enjoyed the world building and story, could have done without the backtracking, but overall was a decent fun adventure game with nice graphics for it's time.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Star Fox Adventure isn't nearly as bad as people say. Go into it expecting nothing but Arwing gameplay and you'll be disappointed but I rather enjoyed the world building and story, could have done without the backtracking, but overall was a decent fun adventure game with nice graphics for it's time.

Never played it. I only own Assault.

Honestly, after how much Star Fox 64 3D disappointed me, I think I'm done with Star Fox. Sad to say since I really like SNES StarFox after all these years and StarFox 64 was one of my favourite N64 titles. But with tis remake, I bought it , beat it in less than an hour and... never touched it again. Clearly its shortness and repetitive nature makes the game quite dated. Oh and screw gyro controls, but fortunately you can turn those off.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:37 pm 

I love the first 3 Metal Gear Solid games to death. I mean, overlong cutscenes have always been a thing in the franchise, but #4 just took it way too far--I beat it in 13 hours or so, and I can only remember ~5 of those hours being actual gameplay, making it feel really anemic. It doesn't help that #4 is grim-faced and serious almost the entire time, when #1 was a tongue-in-cheek send-up of action movies, #2 was a wacky and surreal postmodernist take on #1, and #3 was a silly James Bond-esque spy thriller. And the fact that #3, despite its goofiness, is also one of the more emotionally-engaging video game stories around should be a good indicator as to why many say it's the best in the series.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:39 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I thought people generally liked Adventures? They sure seem to prefer it to Assault.

volutetheswarth wrote:
Star Fox Adventures isn't nearly as bad as people say. Go into it expecting nothing but Arwing gameplay and you'll be disappointed but I rather enjoyed the world building and story, could have done without the backtracking, but overall was a decent fun adventure game with nice graphics for it's time.

Maybe you guys are right, it's been a while since I played it. I thought the combat was pretty repetitive, but the graphics really were great and the story was pretty unique, from what I can remember.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I love the first 3 Metal Gear Solid games to death. I mean, overlong cutscenes have always been a thing in the franchise, but #4 just took it way too far--I beat it in 13 hours or so, and I can only remember ~5 of those hours being actual gameplay, making it feel really anemic. It doesn't help that #4 is grim-faced and serious almost the entire time, when #1 was a tongue-in-cheek send-up of action movies, #2 was a wacky and surreal postmodernist take on #1, and #3 was a silly James Bond-esque spy thriller. And the fact that #3, despite its goofiness, is also one of the more emotionally-engaging video game stories around should be a good indicator as to why many say it's the best in the series.

Yeah, lots of people seem to list MGS3 as one of their all-time favourite games.

yeah long cutscenes are annoying but the worst part is NOT BEING ABLE TO SKIP A LONG ASS CUTSCENE AFTER THE FIRST TIME. So I see a new cutscene. Fine. But then I die and need to restart a level or mission or wtv. But have to watch it ALL OVER AGAIN? Jesus.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:48 pm 

Festivus wrote:
onestly, after how much Star Fox 64 3D disappointed me, I think I'm done with Star Fox. Sad to say since I really like SNES StarFox after all these years and StarFox 64 was one of my favourite N64 titles.
As far as shortness and repetitiveness, um, that's the game? It's a 3D arcade style flying shooter. If you're looking for world to explore that's decently longer go with Star Fox Adventures. Also there's a couple levels were you switch vehicles which changed things up quite well I thought.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:50 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Festivus wrote:
onestly, after how much Star Fox 64 3D disappointed me, I think I'm done with Star Fox. Sad to say since I really like SNES StarFox after all these years and StarFox 64 was one of my favourite N64 titles.
As far as shortness and repetitiveness, um, that's the game? It's a 3D arcade style flying shooter. If you're looking for world to explore that's decently longer go with Star Fox Adventures. Also there's a couple levels were you switch vehicles which changed things up quite well I thought.

Yeah but I thought the remake would improve some things in order to make it feel more modern. And I thought I'd still enjoy playing the Katina level in 2016 as much a I did in 1998. Yeah bought that remake purely out of nostalgia. Silly me.

Sure but Adventure wasn't even originally meant to be a Star Fox game. Hence why it's quite different from your typical Star Fox game.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:53 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Maybe you guys are right, it's been a while since I played it. I thought the combat was pretty repetitive, but the graphics really were great and the story was pretty unique, from what I can remember.
Yeah the combat is repetitive but dunno for me it was ignorable because of the puzzles and exploration.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:05 pm 

WW was a really fun game to play. I beat Wind Waker twice, which says a lot to me, because I don't beat a lot of games. Even when I claim to love them haha Meanwhile Twilight Princess I never really got into. I remember watching my older brother play it when it first came out, but I didn't have an interest to pick it up the controller myself.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:13 pm 

FunkyBurlin wrote:
WW was a really fun game to play. I beat Wind Waker twice, which says a lot to me, because I don't beat a lot of games. Even when I claim to love them haha Meanwhile Twilight Princess I never really got into. I remember watching my older brother play it when it first came out, but I didn't have an interest to pick it up the controller myself.

WW started out good and that Tower of Gods where you fight Gohdan was my favourite dungeon of the game by far. Sailing was also fun albeit annoying to keep switching the wind direction, but heard the HD remake fixes that.

But then the game loses some steam, imo. Also the triforce quest is tedious.

It's the only Zelda game I've played without ever seeing the game over screen. Ok, it's not like Ocarina of Time was a super hard game either, but some of the enemies were quite challenging at least. Never played Twillight Princess but I've heard it's also ridiculously easy and that, unless you're new to video games, it's unlikely for you to die in it.

The toughest Zelda game, though... Zelda II. Zelda I gets crazy hard in the last dungeons as well.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:21 pm 

Twilight Princess is essentially a larger, more expansive version of Ocarina of Time. Which a lot of people should have liked if they didn't have their 90s nostalgia glasses on and proclaiming instead that Ocarina of Time was still a better game, which is wrong. :)

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:24 pm 

Festivus wrote:
FunkyBurlin wrote:

WW started out good and that Tower of Gods where you fight Gohdan was my favourite dungeon of the game by far. Sailing was also fun albeit annoying to keep switching the wind direction, but heard the HD remake fixes that.

But then the game loses some steam, imo. Also the triforce quest is tedious.

It's the only Zelda game I've played without ever seeing the game over screen. Ok, it's not like Ocarina of Time was a super hard game either, but some of the enemies were quite challenging at least. Never played Twillight Princess but I've heard it's also ridiculously easy and that, unless you're new to video games, it's unlikely for you to die in it.

The toughest Zelda game, though... Zelda II. Zelda I gets crazy hard in the last dungeons as well.

I've seen a gameplay of Zelda II and I have no interest hahaha It's a totally different kind of game in a way with the Zelda name attached. I've also never played Zelda 1, but I kind of want to. I should get on that.

It's been a while, so I don't really remember all the details but yes. The HD version of WW certainly fixed up alot of the really annoying stuff. The Swift Sail in particular was the best because it would automatically change the wind direction. There were little things as well that made parts of the game play more effective. I wouldn't even replay the original at this point, to be honest.

I don't remember dying much either, but the combat system was more intuitive then the OoT for sure. For me fighting was a joy in WW as opposed to a bit tedious at times in OoT

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:29 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Twilight Princess is essentially a larger, more expansive version of Ocarina of Time. Which a lot of people should have liked if they didn't have their 90s nostalgia glasses on and proclaiming instead that Ocarina of Time was still a better game, which is wrong. :)

Well I dunno, WW also had its throwbacks to Ocarina of Time.

On a superficial level, TP doesn't seem like Ocarina to me at all. Wolf Link, Midna, etc.

However I can say this, Ocarina feels like a more expansive 3D version of A Link to the Past.

FunkyBurlin wrote:

I've seen a gameplay of Zelda II and I have no interest hahaha It's a totally different kind of game in a way with the Zelda name attached. I've also never played Zelda 1, but I kind of want to. I should get on that.

It's been a while, so I don't really remember all the details but yes. The HD version of WW certainly fixed up alot of the really annoying stuff. The Swift Sail in particular was the best because it would automatically change the wind direction. There were little things as well that made parts of the game play more effective. I wouldn't even replay the original at this point, to be honest.

I don't remember dying much either, but the combat system was more intuitive then the OoT for sure. For me fighting was a joy in WW as opposed to a bit tedious at times in OoT

Zelda II is not a bad game at all, but yes it's clearly the ugly duckling of the series.

Zelda I? No point in playing that if you played every other Zelda already. It was my first Zelda and while there's nostalgia for it it's clearly dated. Unlike SMB which is still enjoyable nowadays despite SMB3 and SMW being way better games.

I've heard in Ocarina 3D you don't have to constantly bring up the menu to switch between boots and such. That makes the Water Temple a smoother ride.

Yeah, WW had very smooth controls, that is true. I'll "excuse" Ocarina for being a considerably older game, although its gameplay was great in the 90s due to the Z targeting and automatic jumps

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:46 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:

You're drunk, go home.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:52 pm 

Controversial opinion time!

- All Zelda games except A Link to the Past are boring;
- Zelda clones like Alundra and Legacy of Kain are better than Zelda games;
- Hyrule Warriors is more fun than any Zelda game;
- Link sucks, and is my least favourite character to play as in Hyrule Warriors (Impa, Ganondorf, Sheik and book-using Lana being the best ones).

Not so controversial opinions: Zelda needs to star in her own game already. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:55 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Not so controversial opinions: Zelda needs to star in her own game already. :nods:

It happened way back in the 90s already, and twice... but the less said about those games the better

What about in Smash? Do you like Link there?

Also, unrelated, it irks me when people say "oh yeah that game is cool That Zelda guy with the sword!"

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:59 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

It happened way back in the 90s already, and twice... but the less said about those games the better

What about in Smash? Do you like Link there?

Also, unrelated, it irks me when people say "oh yeah that game is cool That Zelda guy with the sword!"

Oh god, you're not talking about those awful CD-I games, are you? The Faces of Evil or whatever nonsense?

Nah, I'd be totally down for an actual Zelda game. Just, for the love of god, don't let Team Ninja work on it.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 pm 

Tanuki wrote:

Oh god, you're not talking about those awful CD-I games, are you? The Faces of Evil or whatever nonsense?

Nah, I'd be totally down for an actual Zelda game. Just, for the love of god, don't let Team Ninja work on it.

Haha indeed I am. Those animated parts and the voices, man. :lol:

But nah, they don't count since they weren't made by Nintendo.

Well I guess a spin-off game or two starring Zelda would be cool.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:07 pm 

Festivus wrote:

:lol: Easily the best part

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:08 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Festivus wrote:

:lol: Easily the best part

Angry Video Game Nerd's reaction to them... priceless :lol:

I feel bad for him at times, especially when he had to sit through plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:10 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:

You're drunk, go home.

No seriously, play the game. It follows the same formula of dungeons, (1st forest, 2nd fire, 3rd water, etc.) Midna is essentially Navi, combat is exactly the same and so many other things. The few different things about TP I can think of are Wolf Link, the ability to learn new sword-fighting skills, and a few extra melee combat items and whatnot. That's it.

Morrigan wrote:

You haven't met the Zelda fandom then if you think that's not controversial, oh dear...

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:16 pm 

The Zelda fandom is very divided as far as opinions go when ti comes to what's the best Zelda game. Plus there's also some people who are only fans of top down Zeldas and others who only like 3d Zeldas. They're minorities in the fandom but significant ones.

But generally, I'd say that Ocarina, Majora's, Wind Waker, A Link to the Past and the Oracles are the most liked Zelda games by Zelda's fanbase. Majora's and WW seem to have VERY vocal fans. Twillight Princess is a bit polarising as far as opinions go and not many seem to have loved Skyward Sword in comparison to other Zelda titles.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:27 pm 

Those CD-i games don't count, c'mon brehs :P

Sepulchrave wrote:
You haven't met the Zelda fandom then if you think that's not controversial, oh dear...

Ugh, why would it be? Why would anyone object to a game featuring Zelda as playable protagonist in her own adventures existing, other than being misogynists? Gamers aren't known to be misog... oh.

Oh. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Those CD-i games don't count, c'mon brehs :P

Sepulchrave wrote:

Ugh, why would it be? Why would anyone object to a game featuring Zelda as playable protagonist in her own adventures existing, other than being misogynists? Gamers aren't known to be misog... oh.

Oh. :(

I doubt it's that. It's just that the protagonist has always been Link so a sudden change like that would be odd for most people. Plus I'm sure many Zelda fans are Nintendo fans in general and also play Metroid, a game with a female protagonist.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm 

It's a combination of both misogyny and an unwillingness to shake up the LoZ lore a little bit, IMO. But mostly the latter, to be fair.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm 

Majora's Mask was talked about quite unfavorably initially, game reviewers praised it but players didn't. Most thought it was a weaker effort compared to OoT and the time mechanic seemed unnecessary and a way to hinder exploration. As someone who beat Skyward Sword it was pretty bad, not the worst thing but mostly empty and boring in comparison to other titles. The flying mechanic could have been cool but the side-quests were few and largely insignificant.

Having Zelda as a playable character is not a bad idea. Always wondered why they've never offered different playable characters.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:39 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
It's a combination of both misogyny and an unwillingness to shake up the LoZ lore a little bit, IMO. But mostly the latter, to be fair.

The thing is, Zelda is a princess and Link the hero. It's the old "hero/knight saving princess" story. So if Zelda starred in her own game, especially if said game wasn't a spin-off but part of the main canon, what would Link do? Maybe he could be a mercenary working for Hyrule's royal family and go on Zelda in a quest with both aiding each other. Hmm... I guess that could work if done right.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 pm 

Unless they use Sheik, what is Zelda supposed to do?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:

Eh that one is easy to work around. Just give her some special powers such as Nayru's Love like she has in Smash.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:10 pm 

"Unwillingness to shake up the lore" IS misogyny, when it's used to promote gender inequality. I mean that's basically the justification for preventing women from holding certain religious offices and such.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
"Unwillingness to shake up the lore" IS misogyny, when it's used to promote gender inequality. I mean that's basically the justification for preventing women from holding certain religious offices and such.

I only speak for myself, but I had honestly never really stopped and wonder if a Zelda game where Zelda herself would be the protagonist would be a good idea or not. I guess I'd find it odd not to play as Link but if the game was good I'd certainly play it. I also would find it just as odd if Link got replaced by another male character or if a Metroid game or a Tomb Raider game came out where the protagonists wouldn't be Samus or Lara Croft.

And again, even if several people would have sexist motives behind it, I'm sure just about as many don't have them at all.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:23 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

Eh that one is easy to work around. Just give her some special powers such as Nayru's Love like she has in Smash.

Ehh. Loading her down with magical shit doesn't sound that interesting to me. It works for stuff like Smash and Hyrule Warriors, but a traditional adventure type Zelda game? I dunno.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:24 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:

Ehh. Loading her down with magical shit doesn't sound that interesting to me. It works for stuff like Smash and Hyrule Warriors, but a traditional adventure type Zelda game? I dunno.

Well yeah, it'd depend what kind of game it would be and its gameplay mechanics. I guess it'd work better for a J-RPG than for an Adventure game with mild RPG elements like Zelda.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:29 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I only speak for myself, but I had honestly never really stopped and wonder if a Zelda game where Zelda herself would be the protagonist would be a good idea or not. I guess I'd find it odd not to play as Link but if the game was good I'd certainly play it. I also would find it just as odd if Link got replaced by another male character or if a Metroid game or a Tomb Raider game came out where the protagonists wouldn't be Samus or Lara Croft.

I'd agree with that if that's the only option. It's different if Zelda is a playable character though, or the tech/information friend of Lara is a playable character.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:31 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Festivus wrote:

I'd agree with that if that's the only option. It's different if Zelda is a playable character though, or the tech/information friend of Lara is a playable character.

Agreed.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:31 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

Well yeah, it'd depend what kind of game it would be and its gameplay mechanics. I guess it'd work better for a J-RPG than for an Adventure game with mild RPG elements like Zelda.

I'd like to see a Zelda RPG, actually. Nintendo generally did a good job with the Mario ones, why not Zelda?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:

I'd like to see a Zelda RPG, actually. Nintendo generally did a good job with the Mario ones, why not Zelda?

Confession, for years I thought Zelda games were RPGs. It wasn't until my teens that i realised what your typical J-RPG was.

Mario RPGs are fun yes, but I have sort of a love-hate relationship with J-RPGs. I wouldn't mind a Zelda RPG if done right but it isn't something I'm exactly dying to see for.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:37 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Tanuki wrote:

...and we're back to 2007 when Youtube Poop was a thing. :-P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 787, 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793 ... 940  Next