Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:50 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I aint even gonna bother with the new DS3 dlc, can't FROM come up with anything new instead of just rehashing DS1 things? i feel most of DS3 was just like "you remember this from DS1 don't you? well here it is again! woo nostalgia!"

There was like... one thing like that. "Most of DS3", bitch please.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 am 

The first DS3 DLC looks terrible.

Currently playing through the Shadow Hearts series. Fantastic stuff.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:50 am 

More castles and cathedrals than medieval England, another posion swamp, another fire level, more catacombs, another painted world you access with a rickety bridge, firelink shrine again,
Spoiler: show
Anor Londo again
, crestfallen warrior yet again, Andre again, Maiden in black again, I'd go on but I'm on my phone

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 pm 

How does everyone feel about Star Wars games as a whole? I understand that they've gone down the toilet since Disney took over and shut down Lucasarts; I wouldn't know from experience, because the last one I played was Knights of the Old Republic 2. I'm (re)playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy right now and loving it. I didn't catch it when it was new, though I did play Jedi Outcast. To me it's aged extremely well. There's something primally satisfying about running into a room full of storm troopers, blasting them all with Force Lightning, and watching them go flying through the air. Fun times. And, of course, lightsabers. I decided last year that orange was my saber color. It just looks so damn potent, like you're wielding fire. This go-round, I've used the traditional blue, later switching to green when I got to the part where you have to build a new lightsaber. Gotta love the classics! I also prefer to wield one single-bladed saber. When I was younger I thought dual-wielding and double-bladed lightsabers were the coolest things ever, but now I much prefer the simplicity and elegance of the one-one approach.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm 

Star Wars Galaxies was the last great MMO as far as I'm concerned. The amount of player-generated content and player-driven worldbuilding was unmatched. Now everything's just WOW-esque grinding and raiding.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm 

I have never played the souls games myself, but I do know that every consecutive part is build on the idea of death/rebirth. With each world being different but also similar to the world before it. The whole "link the fire to give life to the next empire/world" thing? The recurring generic settings (fire level is not a specific setting) you mention are settings used in hundreds of games, and I don't know why you are complaining about firelink shrine being there considering it's one of the main features of the series....

Also it's a series taking place in the same universe build on the idea of rebirth?

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm 

I haven't gotten too deep into the lore, but DS3 takes place in a future version of the DS1 world. You visit a few places from the first game, though they're changed up a bit.

It is kind of lazy, but the game is enjoyable enough.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:00 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Star Wars Galaxies was the last great MMO as far as I'm concerned. The amount of player-generated content and player-driven worldbuilding was unmatched. Now everything's just WOW-esque grinding and raiding.

you should have played UO in its prime. Even better than SWG

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

you should have played UO in its prime. Even better than SWG

From what I've read, it sounded amazing. Definitely disappointed I missed the boat on that one.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:

It's... not? The main boss is great (really hard too) and PvP arena is fantastic, a super addition.

Folkemon_ wrote:
More castles and cathedrals than medieval England, another posion swamp, another fire level, more catacombs, another painted world you access with a rickety bridge, firelink shrine again,
Anor Londo again
, crestfallen warrior yet again, Andre again, Maiden in black again, I'd go on but I'm on my phone

First of, spoiler-tag that shit. Show some respect to those who haven't played it yet.

Also you pretty much just described 95% of Dark Souls 1 when compared to Demon's Souls (minus the Painted World thing and NPCs which weren't in Demon's, obviously). Complaining that a Souls game features castles, fire levels, catacombs and poison swamps is like complaining that a Mario game features mushrooms, turtles and a fire-breathing dinosaur. The only area that was DIRECTLY reused was [spoiler area] and that was honestly a super nice surprise, I was giddy when I reached it.

Oh, I guess there was also
Lost Izalith + Ash Lake in its burnt out state, but that so deeply transformed that it can't really be called "the same area", hell a lot of people didn't even recognize it.

Aeonblade wrote:
I haven't gotten too deep into the lore, but DS3 takes place in a future version of the DS1 world. You visit a few places from the first game, though they're changed up a bit.

It is kind of lazy, but the game is enjoyable enough.

No? As I said above, the only area from DS1 you re-visit is
Anor Londo and to a lesser extent, the burnt out Ash Lake
. That's literally it. I guess you could mention Firelink Shrine but it's different enough that they could have called it something else and you'd be none the wiser (physically/artistically it looks more like the Nexus from Demon's Souls than it does Firelink Shrine).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 pm 

That +

The Grand Archives

but I agree with you and henk in that it's presented differently enough and in a contextual manner that I was never bothered at all.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:51 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
That +

The Grand Archives

but I agree with you and henk in that it's presented differently enough and in a contextual manner that I was never bothered at all.

I don't agree that this area is re-used from DS1 at all? What would it be from DS1? It's part of Lothric Castle which is a completely new area.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
That +

The Grand Archives

I don't agree that this area is re-used from DS1 at all? What would it be from DS1? It's part of Lothric Castle which is a completely new area.

I thought it was

part of the Duke's Archives? Especially because there's crystal magic all over the place, and it / the Twin Prince cathedral is on top of an elevated peninsula just like DA was in DS1. I figured Lothric Castle was partially built over it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:02 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Aeonblade wrote:

It's... not? The main boss is great (really hard too) and PvP arena is fantastic, a super addition.

Folkemon_ wrote:
Anor Londo again

Also you pretty much just described 95% of Dark Souls 1 when compared to Demon's Souls (minus the Painted World thing and NPCs which weren't in Demon's, obviously). Complaining that a Souls game features castles, fire levels, catacombs and poison swamps is like complaining that a Mario game features mushrooms, turtles and a fire-breathing dinosaur. The only area that was DIRECTLY reused was [spoiler area] and that was honestly a super nice surprise, I was giddy when I reached it.

Eagerly awaiting counter arguments to this. Especially the bolded parts.

My collection

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06 pm 

Catching up on my already slow progress in DSII recently, because Christmas and family stuff.
Dragonrider was fairly easy, did him in one try, though damn Heide Knights nearly killed me inside the boss room afterwards. Damn you SotFS!

EDIT: FUCK I don't know how to spoiler

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm 

It was nice to have an actual challenge in the SotFS version of that area instead of how I just cruised through it in vanilla.

I actually need to get back to DSII and finally complete it, left off pretty close to the end last summer.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
It was nice to have an actual challenge in the SotFS version of that area instead of how I just cruised through it in vanilla.

Yeah and it's already a
much smaller area between the entrance and the boss compared to the Forest of the Fallen Giants, I can imagine what a piss-easy task it was in the original version.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 am 

DS2 Scholar of the First Sin in the Company of Champions is the hardest Souls game. Believe me. Did a full playthrough not that long ago and it was straight out brutal some times.

Thank you From for the brightbugs, at least. I don't think I can solo the Ivory King or L&Z in the DLC without them.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I thought it was

part of the Duke's Archives? Especially because there's crystal magic all over the place, and it / the Twin Prince cathedral is on top of an elevated peninsula just like DA was in DS1. I figured Lothric Castle was partially built over it.

lol no, it looks nothing like it, and that doesn't even make any sense geographically...

You actually go to Anor Londo in DS3, and we know the Duke's Archives is near there, and obviously Lothric Castle isn't in the same place at all -- you can actually see the building of the Grand Archives, as well as the bridge of the Dragonslayer Armour fight, from the High Wall of Lothric in the very beginning. See this screenshot I took a while back, I found it neat how you could see it so early on. Here's another one, you see the bridge in the back, and then that little roofed building way up where you fight the 3 fatties and pick up the Hunter's Ring.

Anor Londo is wayyyy further, past Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. You can barely make out the silhouette of Irithyll from above Farron Keep (which is already getting pretty far from Lothric), and you can't see Anor Londo at all.

There isn't "crystal magic all over the place" either, it's just that one Crystal Sage shooting that magic around, and there's also one in the Crucifixion Woods but you aren't saying that this woods is the former Crystal Cave or anything, right? :P

According to the lore gathered from various item/spell descriptions, the two Crystal Sages we see in the game were pupils of Big Hat Logan, that's why they know crystal magic. One went to serve as a guide to the scholars in Lothric, the other went to teach magic to the Undead Legion of Farron.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 am 

You can kinda see Anor Londo from Lothric. It's not that far off. And remember, Duke's Archives were way up on top of the mountains surrounding Anor Londo. The Grand Archives are similarly elevated. The "Duke's Archives and Grand Archives are the same place" theory basically posits that Lothric was built on the mountain ramparts surrounding Anor Londo, with the Grand Archives being build on top of the Duke's Archives. Similarly, Firelink Shrine in DkS1 would be the same place as DkS3, lying just slightly outside of the mountains surrounding Anor Londo.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm 

You never know when you'll run into a Metroid fan:

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 pm 

Started Resident Evil 4 again. This game aged really well both in the visual and gameplay department.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am 

Hmm, might have to do a few playthroughs of that sometime. One of my favorites and it's been a while! Always gotta do two playthroughs though, one normal and one with the tommy gun for hilarity.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 am 

why wrote:
Started Resident Evil 4 again. This game aged really well both in the visual and gameplay department.

Hmm...I DO have a working Gamecube in my room, still...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 pm 

So... that Nintendo Switch huh? How much of a disaster is it?

- $300
- Paid online (price unknown so far)
- No in-console voice chat, you need an external smartdevice app :lol:
- Said app not available at launch, only summer 2017 :lol:
- Online subscription gives... one NES or SNES virtual console game monthly. But only for that month. After that you lose it unless you buy it :lol:
- $80 USD per Joycon pair controller
- $70 USD for a classic pro gamepad controller (loooool)
- Weak-ass list of launch titles, there's Zelda, obligatory gimmicky mini-games ("1-2-Switch"), and... a bunch of ports

Absolutely pathetic.

And to think I was semi-excited for it 'cause I could probably play Monster Hunter on a console again... yeahhhhh maybe not.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm 

Yeaaaaaaaah, that's pretty rough...but goddamn if Mario Odyssey doesn't look amazing.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:06 pm 

Yeah I have no desire to buy a Nintendo Switch.

The communication between Nintendo and their fans is so absent, that'd re-release the Wii before releasing a good console. They release probably 10 good games next to a cesspool of quick/cheap/bland gimmick games, they've done this since the Wii. I get all the fanboy worship and nostalgia goggles but surely at some stage you wake up and realize those old consoles are literally as good as Nintendo will get.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 pm 

Mario Odyssey is scheduled for Christmas 2017 apparently, I will not be buying one until at least 1 year after launch since I'm not ready to pay 399.99 (Canadian price for it).

80 bucks for a controller? WTF

I think I'll just get a new Gamecube with new controllers and invest in a copy of Super Smash Bros Melee.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 pm 

Nintendo always goes weird and they're always, technologically, like five years behind everybody else. Not really sure how any of this is a revelation.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:50 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I think I'll just get a new Gamecube with new controllers and invest in a copy of Super Smash Bros Melee.
Much better idea. Get Serious Sam: Next Encounter too :thumbsup:

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 pm 

I'll probably get one after a price drop. If it ever happens. Nintendo seem hellbent on never dropping their prices.

Mario looks fantasticm but I'm mostly interested in Xenoblade 2.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
80 bucks for a controller? WTF

$80 USD. That's gonna be like, $100 CAD for us. lol

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 pm 

Ah, just you wait, they'll roll out New Super Mario New Bros. New 3D Switch, Mario Party 27, Mario Kart Racer X (with DLC to play as a coin-block), Metroid: Other Housewife, Legend of Zelda: Link's Switch-Hitting Training, and a new Star Fox game that you control by sprinting in place to move forward and doing cartwheels to barrel roll.

They'll make their money back in no time.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Much better idea. Get Serious Sam: Next Encounter too :thumbsup:

That game's from my country btw, woo hoo! Good pick

Pseudonym99
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:52 pm 

Diablo 2 US East, get at me, pm me for duel, non ladder

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 pm 

Damn, it's like Nintendo doesn't really want to sell any units lol. Is it a Wii U? A DS? a Wii?

Too expensive for what it offers, accessories and offensively overpriced, battery life is ridiculous and 32GBof internal memory? Hahaha

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

That's what everyone said about the Gamecube and the Wii.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:11 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
That's what everyone said about the Gamecube and the Wii.

The Gamecube sold like shit, not sure how this is helping your argument?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm 

rexxz wrote:
You never know when you'll run into a Metroid fan:

name of the video? .....for research

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 pm 

Don't know, reposted it from twitter.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:22 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
name of the video? .....for research

"Maya Bijou’s day job is handling your package"

On the actual topic of video games, I am stoked for the Nintendo Switch. Definitely gonna get it.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790, 791 ... 940  Next