Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:28 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Well S&S is an $18 CAD indie title made by two people and it's very polished, with excellent hitboxes and precise combat, so I don't think the "it's indie" has many excuses... S&S didn't disappoint and even exceeded my expectations, so the bar has been raised!

Great, thanks for making the waiting game even harder then :grr:
Anyway, since you've played it - how would you rate it length/content wise? Is it like a 10+ hour romp or a longer haul, and is the amount of the content justifies the playtime?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:51 am 

It's hard to say because the counter got fucked (I used Rest Mode on the PS4 without fully quitting the game and it still counted, lol), but I'd estimate S&S took me about 20 hours the first time. It's a pretty damn meaty Metroidvania and there are tons of secrets too. And pretty much no filler. I replayed the game with different builds too, which I only ever do in actual Souls games. :)

I think the devs estimated June for a PC version, FWIW.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:55 pm 

So Star Fox Zero and its animated short by Nintendo made me feel nostalgic for this franchise, but since I don't have a Wii U and acquired a New 3DS a while ago, I decided to buy the 3DS remake of Star Fox 64 a couple of days ago.

First of all, gyro controls are awkward. I always end up using the circle pad to guide my Arwing. And it's also very impractical to pick up the stylus to touch the screen all so I can hear ROB saying "location confirmed, sending supplies". However, I do like it that you're able to play any stage you've beaten already whenever you went to in that mode for beating enemies shot down in each stage records. Sometimes I might feel like playing a stage again and that way I don't have to play the whole game again.

I beat the game once so far and I don't really feel compelled to beat it again any time soon. Which is odd considering I LOVED this game back when I was a kid and could never get tired of it. Stages such as Fortuna/Fichina, Venom 2 and Katina where all you do is fight in all range mode just feel like a chore to me now. Honestly, I'm starting to regret spending money on this game, and this saddens me because this was one of my favorite games when I was a kid. SF64 was the first game ever where I've heard a lot of voice acting. Never before it had I heard so much of VA and with such high quality. it really is impressive how quotable this game is to a point where "do a barrel roll!" is a Google feature as you type "do" into the search box.

I used to think Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 not being as fun nowadays as they were back in the 90s was already disappointing, but SF64 is my biggest one thus far. Which surprised me because it still looks graphically fine compared to most games of its time, and this is the 3DS remake with enhanced graphics. Maybe it just feels a little too short compared to modern games?

Also, am I the only one who thinks Nintendo doesn't put that much work into Star Fox? The first couple of Star Fox games were critically acclaimed and a 2nd Star Fox game almost came out for the Super Nintendo until it was axed when it was pretty much finished already, which is odd. The GameCube games didn't really convince critics much, especially Assault, but still sold respectable numbers considering they were GameCube titles. I think Star Fox has a lot of potential and could be a good way to get people who aren't much into your typical Nintendo games to by Nintendo consoles. Their libraries are not exactly full of games where you shoot enemy spaceships in space.

As a kid, I used to see Star Fox as one of Nintendo's main franchises. Same for F-Zero, but that one hasn't had a game in like a decade and the last one was a Japan exclusive. Fortunately every F-Zero game to this day has been pretty damn good. I never heard anyone being disappointed with an F-Zero game.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:22 am 

Star Fox 2 exists as a complete ROM. There are also repro carts.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:32 pm 

Festivus wrote:
First of all, gyro controls are awkward.

Jesus christ, fuck that. Man, an actual, decent new Star Fox game would be incredible. Well, I think it would. Your post made me really sad, to be honest.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:54 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Festivus wrote:
First of all, gyro controls are awkward.

Jesus christ, fuck that. Man, an actual, decent new Star Fox game would be incredible. Well, I think it would. Your post made me really sad, to be honest.

Many people have complained about them in Star Fox Zero. They also complain about the game being too short and too similar to SF64. I wouldn't know since I haven't played it.

And what saddens you about my post? My opinion of the SF64 remake or the state of the Star Fox franchise?

And yes, I'd love to see an amazing Star Fox game again. One that rocks the world like 64 did back in the 90s.

WebOfPiss, I'm aware of that. But never got around to play it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:07 pm 

Yeah it sorta blows my mind that SF64 was the one that took the world by storm and Nintendo just never capitalized on it. It's such an easy formula that should be easy to milk forever, and that might possibly be why Starfox and F-Zero sorta faded. Because even though it's easy to joke about them cranking out new Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games all the time, they do at least constantly reinvent themselves or at least base it off a new gimmick. Only so much room to do that with space fighters and racing games I think. I feel like it wouldn't matter though, I'm one of the idiots who buys the new Dynasty Warriors games every time there's a new one, I'd absolutely do the same for Starfox.

Wasn't the Gamecube one not even supposed to be part of the franchise? I swear I read somewhere that during development one of the higher ups thought one of the characters looked like Fox and ordered the studio to reskin and rework it to be a Starfox title. Just give me a new and updated SF64 with classic gameplay and I'll buy a whole damn system just for that game alone.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:35 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah it sorta blows my mind that SF64 was the one that took the world by storm and Nintendo just never capitalized on it. It's such an easy formula that should be easy to milk forever, and that might possibly be why Starfox and F-Zero sorta faded. Because even though it's easy to joke about them cranking out new Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games all the time, they do at least constantly reinvent themselves or at least base it off a new gimmick. Only so much room to do that with space fighters and racing games I think. I feel like it wouldn't matter though, I'm one of the idiots who buys the new Dynasty Warriors games every time there's a new one, I'd absolutely do the same for Starfox.

Wasn't the Gamecube one not even supposed to be part of the franchise? I swear I read somewhere that during development one of the higher ups thought one of the characters looked like Fox and ordered the studio to reskin and rework it to be a Starfox title. Just give me a new and updated SF64 with classic gameplay and I'll buy a whole damn system just for that game alone.

What, Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures? I think so. That one was made by Rare iirc.

Nintendo franchises do go dormant occasionally, though. Metroid missed the Nintendo 64 generation, per example. And I'm surprised Nintendo brought Kid Icarus back to life about 20+ years later. F-Zero has been dormant for a decade or so now. Then again, GX set the bar too high. But if Nintendo thought like that all the time then Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time would have been the last Mario and Zelda games, respectively.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:38 pm 

Actually the sadness came from the combination of the state of the franchise as well as the hints of the possible reality of even a really good Star Fox game not really being able to hold my interest. The nostalgia factor would be strong, but yeah, maybe not strong enough.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:43 pm 

Yeah, Dinosaur Planet was originally going to star Krystal IIRC, until they made it a Star Fox title, with Krystal as a side character. It's still pretty cool though, but more of a Zelda-style game. Worth playing if you like that kind of thing.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:24 am 

Btw, does anyone still love Star Fox's graphics? maybe it's due to nostalgia but I really love how that game looks. Even if it looks EXTREMELY dated. Also, that game is hard man. Sector Z and Fortuna, two traumas of my childhood. Sector Y was a pain too. I'm yet to beat that game through the hardest route. Always end up dying at either Fortuna or Sector Z. And what about the Black Hole and that level where you fight a slot machine at the end? The fuck were the designers on when they came up with that? :lol:

Last edited by Festivus on Sun May 08, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:39 am 

Designers, not programmers. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:36 pm 

Right. Edited.

diseas3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 pm 

Does anyone here plays Battlefield ? The new Battlefield trailer looks amazing ! They are going back to WW1, something I wasn't expecting at all.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 pm 

It looks alright. As interesting as any other war-based FPS coming out these days.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:39 am 

Uncharted 3 slipped a little bit but oh man is Uncharted 4 awesome. Plus this is easily the best version of the Uncharted theme.

What I like is that some of the areas are huge and it's not needlessly open world, but large enough to fully immerse you and not make you feel confined. You feel like you're exploring but it's not large for the sake of being gigantic.

A game is actually taking my attention away from Dark Souls 3. That's an accomplishment!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:56 am 

Some random Fashion Souls:
Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:27 pm 

Worst opinion ever?

Quote:
Super Metroid is one of my absolute least favorite Nintendo games ever. It's roommates with the likes of The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Source: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=115

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:29 pm 

anyone playing doom? it looks like fun imo but i am not sure about its lasting power

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:01 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Worst opinion ever?

Quote:
Super Metroid is one of my absolute least favorite Nintendo games ever. It's roommates with the likes of The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Quote:
The feeling of getting lost and walking around in circles to grope for progress is by far my least favorite gaming trope and I despise how the Metroid series accomplishes this. It's extraordinarily unintuitive and frankly very unfun for me.

They should try Fusion. :lol:

In fact I'm currently playing Fusion. It's like "Super Metroid was very popular, we should make another game just like that, except undermine it's main gameplay strength in the most obnoxious way possible."
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Worst opinion ever?

Quote:

Well, it is NeoGaf. So what's so surprising about it?

And it«s funyn you mention this because I bought Super Metroid off the 3DS eShop the other day and have been playing it. Ofc I'm still early in the game so I can't really comment on it yet.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:07 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
anyone playing doom? it looks like fun imo but i am not sure about its lasting power

Bethesda refusing to issue ANY pre-release review codes definitely doesn't bode well for it.

On the plus side, TotalBiscuit seems to dislike it so there's still hope it might be good.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:30 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Bethesda refusing to issue ANY pre-release review codes definitely doesn't bode well for it.

On the plus side, TotalBiscuit seems to dislike it so there's still hope it might be good.

lol i know what you mean i usually dont trust games which do not release codes for reviews however i have seen some people stream the first hour(wont ruin any more than that for myself) and it looks enjoyable

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:19 pm 

Festivus wrote:

What do you mean? NeoGAF isn't a hivemind, but Super Metroid is still a widely respected and revered game there.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:30 pm 

Really the main problem with Super Metroid is once you learn the game it's really fucking easy. There's not a lot of replay value in terms of challenge, as there is with most Mario games and some of the Zelda series. It's still awesome of course, but doesn't keep me coming back like some other Nintendo games do.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 am 

Festivus wrote:
Btw, does anyone still love Star Fox's graphics? maybe it's due to nostalgia but I really love how that game looks. Even if it looks EXTREMELY dated. Also, that game is hard man. Sector Z and Fortuna, two traumas of my childhood. Sector Y was a pain too. I'm yet to beat that game through the hardest route. Always end up dying at either Fortuna or Sector Z. And what about the Black Hole and that level where you fight a slot machine at the end? The fuck were the designers on when they came up with that? :lol:

The Landmaster levels kinda kicked my ass, especially Titania. And the motherfucking sun. But at least the corridor soundtrack to the sun/Sector Y (they had the same track) was probably my favorite in the game. Sector X is pretty annoying too, but it had the coolest level design outside of Venom.
Also, what black hole?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:13 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Festivus wrote:

What do you mean? NeoGAF isn't a hivemind, but Super Metroid is still a widely respected and revered game there.

Being such a big forum you're bound to find some people with terrible taste there. Same for IGN.

Wilytank wrote:
Festivus wrote:

The Landmaster levels kinda kicked my ass, especially Titania. And the motherfucking sun. But at least the corridor soundtrack to the sun/Sector Y (they had the same track) was probably my favorite in the game. Sector X is pretty annoying too, but it had the coolest level design outside of Venom.
Also, what black hole?

The post of mine you've quoted is about the SNES Star Fox game, not the N64 one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:36 pm 

@SatanicPotatOS
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:50 pm 

I've been playing Batman, Arkham City a lot lately. Wow, this game is truly incredible in all aspects, can't wait to have a new videocard + decent ram to play Arkham Knight.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:24 am 

Weirdly enough, not releasing review copies was probably one of the best thing about Doom's launch. I went in with no expectations other than what their gameplay demos showed and I'm absolutely fucking being blown away right now. The gameplay is fast and quick to punish player mistakes. The graphics are way more detailed than I thought they were according to the gameplay videos. Compressed videos can't do those graphics justice. The enemy design and AI is actually pretty innovative too. I love how they constantly keep you on your ass and circle strafing by moving and chasing the player around aggressively.

If you liked Wolfenstein: The New Order, Doom 2016 is an absolutely mandatory playthrough. Also, Ultra-Violence or nothing. The difficulty really brings out the gameplay imo, it's a game of kick ass or die.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:54 am 

I really want it. I'm not sure how I feel about the glory kills system; from what I've seen it seems to keep the flow and pace up alright enough but I'd have to try it to really know. Hopefully just blasting everything to fuck instead is still a viable option though.

But I'll either have to blow a few hundred pounds on upgrading the GPU (and probably power supply) on my PC. PS4 isn't something I'd really consider.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:22 am 

darkeningday wrote:
@SatanicPotatOS

thank you i always go to ACG for the first review i watch for pretty much any game

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:02 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
I really want it. I'm not sure how I feel about the glory kills system; from what I've seen it seems to keep the flow and pace up alright enough but I'd have to try it to really know. Hopefully just blasting everything to fuck instead is still a viable option though.

But I'll either have to blow a few hundred pounds on upgrading the GPU (and probably power supply) on my PC. PS4 isn't something I'd really consider.

According to reports it's actually not that demanding hardware wise (the fact that it's among the very few current gen games that runs at 1080p, 60FPS on consoles might be your case in point, unless you have absolutely no other references).
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:36 am 

The minimum specs for Doom ask for 2Gbs of VRam, so I figure with half of that I'm going to struggle. But I CAN run Wolfenstein: The New Order just about - do they use the same engine? Might just be able to get away with it.

Last edited by wrathchild_88 on Sun May 15, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:52 am 

Just wait until you get a better PC. Don't pay full price for a game you probably won't be able to run in any playable fashion.

The only serious complaint I've heard about Doom 4 so far is it apparently uses a pretty poor checkpoint system, which sucks but I guess that's just par for the course these days. I'll take checkpoints and no regenerating health over the other way around.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:44 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Weirdly enough, not releasing review copies was probably one of the best thing about Doom's launch. I went in with no expectations other than what their gameplay demos showed and I'm absolutely fucking being blown away right now. The gameplay is fast and quick to punish player mistakes. The graphics are way more detailed than I thought they were according to the gameplay videos. Compressed videos can't do those graphics justice. The enemy design and AI is actually pretty innovative too. I love how they constantly keep you on your ass and circle strafing by moving and chasing the player around aggressively.

If you liked Wolfenstein: The New Order, Doom 2016 is an absolutely mandatory playthrough. Also, Ultra-Violence or nothing. The difficulty really brings out the gameplay imo, it's a game of kick ass or die.

Is the music always as horrible as this Meshuggah wanna-be?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:46 pm 

The entire soundtrack is pretty much djent-influenced industrial metal. I would give it a chance because the in-game music is dynamic depending on what's going on and I think it suits the atmosphere of the game too. If you don't like it after the first level then you could just turn it off because there aren't any stylistic changes in the game's music.

PS4 version runs great and looks amazing if you plan on getting it. Even with a dynamic resolution I didn't expect for them to be able to pull off 1080p at 60 fps.

PC version doesn't run as well, apparently because AMD gpus don't handle the game well. Not sure if it's Doom or a driver issue though.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:01 pm 

I'm only really interested in the Doom campaign, which I hear is a mere 8.5 hours long, so I really don't think I can bring myself to pay full price for it, blehhh. Makes me wish you could still go down to the video store and rent games lol. Oh well, maybe I can borrow it off a friend or wait five years for the price to drop.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:40 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Holy shit that was horrible. Why they didn't get Andrew Hulshult who made the incredible metal remixes of all of the classic DOOM tracks as well as all of the music for the Rise of the Triad remake is beyond me.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:10 pm 

Doom is at least twelve times better than it had any right to be, from the weapon handling all the way to the music. Everything is incredible and pitch-perfect. It opens strong, drips enough world-building and story stuff to keep things interesting while slow-dripping higher level enemies before cannonball-launching you into the deep end of some truly grisly, insane enemy encounters on the back-nine.

I think calling the music flat-out djent is disingenuous. These songs were built dynamically, so you might get some Fear Factory-esque riffing, but that'll transition into something thrashy for a bit, or some outright industrial atmospheric rhythms. It works, and that's pretty much all that matters.

Morrigan wrote:

Because posting music tracks out of context makes you seem totally awesome and leveling well-reasoned criticisms against a game you haven't played yet. Context matters.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765 ... 940  Next