Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:13 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Daigo resides and trains in Japan, I believe. How the fuck did you connect to him from all the way over there?

It's not hard at all. Dunno how it's done in SFV but in IV, all you had to do was pick ranked online match or endless. And then you'd have a list of players looking for fights from all over the world. That being said, Asian players usually don't play with American or European players because there's a lot of lag due to poor peer-to-peer connection. I've managed to play a few times with Japanese and Korean players before, though.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:51 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:
if people care jim sterling gave quantum break an 8.5, if people do not care jim still gave it 8.5

Or did he??

lol he was a bit early i knew the review was taken down but i still read he gave it an 8.5 out of 10 but i could be wrong

reviews are out now, it gets mostly positive but mixed reviews, worst i have seen was 6 the best was 4.5 stars out of 5 stars

doom is looking good

its strange how on metacritic quantum break has 70 reviews for the xbox one and the divison has 28, i suppose because the divison was also released for the playstation 4

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 pm 

Worst I've seen was actually 2/5 by Jeff Gerstmann on Giant Bomb.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:51 pm 

that aint a good score i will watch/read the review now, the mixed scores kinda make me want to play the game even more

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:55 pm 

I've been replaying Doom 3 in preparation for Doom-not-4, and honestly Doom 3 isn't very good. Good atmosphere but underpowered ranged enemies and overpowered weapons mean only the enemies who bum rush you are a threat, and as long as you kill them before they reach you, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if they do reach you, you're better off just quickloading because the damage they dish out is monumental and you'll be dead in nanoseconds. So basically, combat is just a giant snoozefest.

Note that I'm only playing on Veteran, not Nightmare, because it wasn't unlocked from the start.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:47 pm 

DooM 3 did have a cool atmosphere and I enjoyed their effort to include a bit more of a story but the game overall fell flat for reasons you described and more. Can't fucking wait for the new one, I get a nerd boner every time I see it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 pm 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's still fun and the writing and atmosphere are fantastic. I think I've just been spoiled because I've been going through Raven Software's back catalogue, and those are some of the finest FPS games ever made, imho. Heretic II and Soldier of Fortune still hold up today, gameplay-wise.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:59 pm 

Cool WADs to play from recent years?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:06 am 

Pretty much anything not called Brutal Doom (yes, I know it's not technically a WAD, but still).

I really enjoyed all 3 episodes of Temple of the Lizardmen, though some parts more than others.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:35 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Daigo resides and trains in Japan, I believe. How the fuck did you connect to him from all the way over there?

Well with Ranked or Casual matches you pretty much set up the connection speed you're willing to fight against with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the best. I always set it to 5 and rarely run into lag. I fought Daigo in the Battle Lounge, which is a player created lobby. Before you join you can see how well your connection is and he had full bars so I joined his lobby and fought him twice.

Symun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:14 am 

Hello guys,
Pyro is my favourite game because it is awsome game ever , but I can't get past level 6-I can light the torch on the right, but the other one (on the left) won't light....

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I've been replaying Doom 3 in preparation for Doom-not-4, and honestly Doom 3 isn't very good. Good atmosphere but underpowered ranged enemies and overpowered weapons mean only the enemies who bum rush you are a threat, and as long as you kill them before they reach you, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if they do reach you, you're better off just quickloading because the damage they dish out is monumental and you'll be dead in nanoseconds. So basically, combat is just a giant snoozefest.

Note that I'm only playing on Veteran, not Nightmare, because it wasn't unlocked from the start.

I went into this one taking it for what it was, and with no high expectations, and somewhat enjoyed it, but overall yeah, a fair disappointment. If the gunplay felt even a fraction as satisfying as the original games, combined with the game's at least decent atmosphere, it could have been an alright if unspectacular game.

darkeningday wrote:
Pretty much anything not called Brutal Doom (yes, I know it's not technically a WAD, but still).

:roll: Brutal Doom is absolutely worth checking out if you haven't already.

Been thinking about giving the Serious Sam games another shot, my only experience is the original (non-HD) game and I stopped when it became frustratingly difficult and I wasn't getting into the rhythm as easily as I thought I would. I might be ready to buckle down and lay those utterly bizzare enemies to waste.

F.E.A.R. is another game I'm looking forward to trying again. My experience is trying it on an old-ish laptop and it being not very playable even on lowest settings with shadows turned off, and the PS3 port which was butchered and felt like I was wasting the experience of the game by continuing to play it.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:42 am 

I think the main failing of Doom 3 was simply that it tried to be something that wasn't Doom. The original games were fast paced, high octane run 'n gun action through vibrant colors, creative and distinct enemies, cool weapons and powerups, and a bitchin' MIDI soundtrack. That shouldn't be too hard to update, but Doom 3 took it in a completely different direction. Normally I'd applaud trying to innovate and avoid stagnation, but it just so completely missed the point of what made Doom what it was. They nailed the setting but whiffed on almost everything else. The monsters are mostly indistinct grey blobs, I don't remember any of the weapons being nearly as cool as the double barrel shotgun or the plasma rifle, like DD said it's basically instant death if anybody gets in close while long distance enemies are basically buzzing flies, it just didn't feel like a Doom title. If I look at it on its own merits, the tense atmosphere was very good, and while I hated the flashlight mechanic as a kid, I'm a bit more split on it now (it is irritating to constantly have to switch to it and then fire blind at half the enemies, but it also does add to the oppressive atmosphere and keeps you on your toes). Basically it's a F.E.A.R. title more than a Doom one.

This new one looks more like a return to spirit of the first two games to me. I'm not liking some of the modernisms like the takedowns and whatnot, but it probably won't be worthless.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:55 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I think the main failing of Doom 3 was simply that it tried to be something that wasn't Doom.

It tried to be Dead Space.

Actually, I'm curious to know if any of the devs from Doom3 carried over to the Dead Space dev team. The two feel so similar in terms of art design, level design, pacing... Even some of the enemies from DS are reminiscent of enemies in Doom3 (like say, Lurker in DS and Cherub in D3).

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:38 pm 

Speaking of Dead Space, I played all 3 in the past half year and really enjoyed them. Well, the first two at least. The whole time I was playing the first title I was loving the atmosphere, art direction, awesome combat/weapons, controls and thought it was overall just great. Not up to par with Resident Evil 4, but certainly scratched the itch. Decided to check out the sequel expecting much the same but maybe a bit weaker and with a bunch of unnecessasary bullshit tacked on or something and was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it as much if not more than the first one (although I never tried any of the new weapons).

The third one, however, and I'd already been told to expect "just an action game" instead of everything that previous installments offered so I sorta knew what to expect, basically fell at the first hurdle. You start off fighting other humans, which was already a bad indicator. "Press [whatever button] to hide behind cover", uh oh. Then, less than 5 minutes into the game I came across a glitched door that wouldn't open and I had to restart the game.

Then, not long after, I realized my ammo was never depleting. Turns out it happens when you save&exit from the weapon testing arena, and the glitch lasts up until the second last chapter of the game. As if it wasn't already a trigger happy type of game. So there went any semblance of challenge (up until I got to that second last chapter and the glitch randomly stopped, leaving me with no ammo because I'd sold it all to buy upgrades).

The weapon system looked like it had a lot going for it, but I honestly never really bothered. Just made a couple of logical decisions early on in the game and more or less stuck to them. I guess it gives the game some replay value. I also sort of forgot that the game had been made with multiplayer co-op in mind. Despite all of these gripes, and the absolute departure from the totally fucking cool atmosphere of the first two, it was still mildly fun to play solely because the combat in this series is just so satisfying.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:12 pm 

The eye... surgery... scene in Dead Space 2 had me cover my eyes IRL. Holy shit I'm a pussy. I wonder how that would look in VR, from Isaac's perspective... :o

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:03 pm 

Anyone know what the really blue WAD was? Was it something other than Plasmaplant?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:06 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Speaking of Dead Space, I played all 3 in the past half year and really enjoyed them. Well, the first two at least. The whole time I was playing the first title I was loving the atmosphere, art direction, awesome combat/weapons, controls and thought it was overall just great. Not up to par with Resident Evil 4, but certainly scratched the itch. Decided to check out the sequel expecting much the same but maybe a bit weaker and with a bunch of unnecessasary bullshit tacked on or something and was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it as much if not more than the first one (although I never tried any of the new weapons).

The third one, however, and I'd already been told to expect "just an action game" instead of everything that previous installments offered so I sorta knew what to expect, basically fell at the first hurdle. You start off fighting other humans, which was already a bad indicator. "Press [whatever button] to hide behind cover", uh oh. Then, less than 5 minutes into the game I came across a glitched door that wouldn't open and I had to restart the game.

Then, not long after, I realized my ammo was never depleting. Turns out it happens when you save&exit from the weapon testing arena, and the glitch lasts up until the second last chapter of the game. As if it wasn't already a trigger happy type of game. So there went any semblance of challenge (up until I got to that second last chapter and the glitch randomly stopped, leaving me with no ammo because I'd sold it all to buy upgrades).

The weapon system looked like it had a lot going for it, but I honestly never really bothered. Just made a couple of logical decisions early on in the game and more or less stuck to them. I guess it gives the game some replay value. I also sort of forgot that the game had been made with multiplayer co-op in mind. Despite all of these gripes, and the absolute departure from the totally fucking cool atmosphere of the first two, it was still mildly fun to play solely because the combat in this series is just so satisfying.

i played all 3 and honestly if you look at dead space 3 as not a dead space game its a tonne of fun but it doesnt really feel like a dead space game, its a lot of fun though but i loved the first the best, i would love to see a new dead space on the new consoles, the weapon system of the 3rd game was a lot of fun but kinda removed from the horror element when you can create OP weapons that kill everything fast

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:40 pm 

Honestly, the concept of straight horror games is a bit silly, as they're almost never scary at all. You know what IS scary? Games in genres you're not good at on their harder difficulties. Pure stealth games on Extreme mode? Holy shit, that's frightening stuff.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:

Everything good about it was shamelessly ripped from Beautiful Doom, whose latest version (6.1) far surpasses Brutal Doom. And unlike Brutal Doom, Beautiful Doom wasn't made by a sociopathic, racist piece of shit who's been banned from pretty much every DooM forum on the entire planet for good reason.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:42 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Honestly, the concept of straight horror games is a bit silly, as they're almost never scary at all.

Yeah? What horror games have you played?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:46 pm 

horror is a difficult genre to scare people in, a few games have scared me but its a genre where its easy to fail at

unlike everyone else doom 3 was actually my first ever doom game so for some reason i grew up thinking it was a horror game which is kinda sad that i thought that, doom 3 was a fun game imo it just went on a bit long i think but i cant wait for doom 4

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:49 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
Honestly, the concept of straight horror games is a bit silly, as they're almost never scary at all.

Yeah? What horror games have you played?

Quite a few, actually. ResEvil 1/4, Silent Hill 1/2, Dead Space, FNaF 1, Amnesia, Alien: Isolation, F.E.A.R., and System Shock 2. And yet, the scariest experience I've ever had playing any video game was Metal Gear Solid 3 on the highest difficulty, because being found and ushering in a platoon of aimbotting Russians is horror personified. Honorable mention goes to the original Kingdom Hearts on its Hard difficulty when you're underleveled and fighting Dragon Maleficent. Fucking hell, that fight is terrifying when every single attack gobbles your HP bar like a fat kid gobbles cake.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:26 am 

I think Zork: Nemesis remains the scariest game I've played to date. Just completely unsettling from beginning to end, with all of the live action bits directed by one of the best X-Files directors. Although I'm sure the fact I first played it when I was like 10 had something to do with it.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:05 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Foulchrist wrote:

Everything good about it was shamelessly ripped from Beautiful Doom, whose latest version (6.1) far surpasses Brutal Doom. And unlike Brutal Doom, Beautiful Doom wasn't made by a sociopathic, racist piece of shit who's been banned from pretty much every DooM forum on the entire planet for good reason.

Well, I can't say I recommended it because I thought the developer has a good personality, rather than beacause I thought the mod was a bit of fun, but I hadn't heard of Beautiful Doom. Gonna have to check it out. However, just from the description on moddb, I'm not really getting that everything good about Brutal Doom was "shamelessly ripped from Beautiful Doom".

"introduces virtually no gameplay changes". Okay. And unless in Beautiful Doom, the enemies get satisfyingly torn into pieces when you fire at them, I'm going to say "everything good" was not lifted from this mod.

Been a while since I was genuinely frightened by a game. When I was a kid, Resident Evil 2 did it for me. The first survival horror I ever played, and I didn't quite get it. Didn't know why ammo was so scarce and why it was so easy to get killed and so on. The game had a really thick atmosphere, largely due to the awesome music. I remember playing it with my sister and a friend in the dark, and the part where you get lured in by a box of ammo then turn around and a licker comes flying through the window made all three of us jump off the bed and run downstairs to safety. :lol:

Tension and panic are what make a game scary, as Zelkiiro is getting at, but a spooky atmosphere is what puts you on edge to make it really work.

hots_towel wrote:

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:25 am 

Are all those action games really horror? Scary, yes, but horror? If Lovecraft wrote a book about them what would it say?

"Wilbur Whateley turned the corner. An Eldrich being approached and he shot it. He turned another corner...another being! Again, Wilbur fired and killed the unfathomable beast. He only had two bullets left. Up the corridor he ran and around another corner..."

Ad nauseum.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:43 am 

"Silent Hill 2 is not scary, but Kingdom Hearts is" ~Zelkiiro

I know what you're getting at, and that's that tension is what is truly terrifying, but holy shit I don't think I've ever played anything as intense as the Fatal Frame series and early Silent Hill games. Resident Evil 2 and 3 would scare me as a kid, but it was mostly jump scares and just never knowing when Nemesis was going to burst through the wall and turn my spine into buttermilk. I haven't played Amnesia but that's because I'm a pussy.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:23 pm 

Outlast was a pretty cool horror game

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Are all those action games really horror? Scary, yes, but horror? If Lovecraft wrote a book about them what would it say?

"Wilbur Whateley turned the corner. An Eldrich being approached and he shot it. He turned another corner...another being! Again, Wilbur fired and killed the unfathomable beast. He only had two bullets left. Up the corridor he ran and around another corner..."

Ad nauseum.

:lol: Shit I'll give it a try.

-----------------------------------

Wilbur stumbled and fell through the slightly open door of the next room. Writhing on the floor from his bleeding wounds, his heavy panting was briefly arrested by that smell: A stream of organosulfurs and amines, intense enough to break the driest and deadest of eyes. He rested his bloody hands against the moist floor, trying to push himself back up, only for his hands to slip in front of him, knocking his heavy head against the metal tile. Motionless, he slowly opened his bleary eyes, and lo a pile of deformed and mutilated corpses of human abominations occupied the far right corner of the room, surrounded by a halo of reflected light radiating from the holo-board behind them: "Where would you be without science?" Wilbur stared in despair at the image before him; the fate of all mankind, to become an orgy of blood, bowels and nails, shaped by their own failure. He shut his eyes again in an ultimate concession of defeat.

"Welcome to the IXO Healing Station, brought to you by the Jonas Brothers Corporation. Please step forward for DNA identification and diagnosis."

Wilbur moaned and writhed again on the floor, as if inconvenienced by the machine's interrupting call before he could enter Death's door. He opened his eyes again and spotted the now-illuminated medical interface at the centre back of the room, buzzing and beeping about as it was initializing and deploying its mechanical arms. He could still live, at least enough to be able to fight again. Breathing heavily, he slowly and achingly pushed himself back up, limping towards the interface, his figure stained red and black with the creatures' blood as well as his own, as he covered his mouth and nose from the overwhelming putrescine. "Analyzing skin cells. Engineer Wilbur Whateley, welcome. Scanning. One moment please... Severe polytrauma and infections detected. You are in urgent need of blood transfusion, foreign body removal, and cauterization. You may choose to contact your physician via this terminal to request a secondary diagnosis... *Beep* Be advised, your credit rating does not allow you access to the advanced medical care features of this station."

Wilbur unholstered his modified PExL torch and cut through the station's secure storage compartment and pried it open, releasing a thick cold fog and revealing a slew of refrigerated blood packets, antibiotics, disinfectants, anesthetics, sedatives, and consumable sterile tools including bandages, blades, probes, sutures, syringes and cautery torches, all neatly arranged and compartmentalized for use by the machine. "Warning. Compartment pressure below normal levels. Beginning nitrogen gas purge. Please check for any possible leaks." A valve in the compartment started hissing as the machine released the nitrogen. Meanwhile, Wilbur clumsily reached for a disinfectant spray, bloodying half the compartment at once. He started spraying on his back wound, then maniacally sprayed himself all over. "Nitrogen purge failed. Please contact a JBC qualified technician for servicing." The machine stopped. And yet, there was still a hissing sound. Wilbur, surprised, looked at the spray bottle. It wasn't leaking. He examined the gas valve in the compartment, but the gas release had stopped. The hissing continued. Wilbur slowly stood back. He caught the reflection of something on one of the aluminium flasks. As he reached for his PExL torch, the hiss turned into a moan, then quickly into a scream. He turned around and was promptly attacked by a humanoid abomination. He had no time to react. It started clawing through him with its sharp bone protrusions, pinning him almost inside the compartment. He tried to grapple with it, but the bones were cutting through his hands. It vertically split its head into two mandibles and attempted to chew his face off. Left with no other choice, he sacrificed his left forearm to a bite in order to grab his PExL torch with his right. The creature violently shook its head to tear his arm off. Screaming in pain, he managed to aim the torch from below his hip and cut through the creature's stomach. It jolted backwards in agony. Wilbur, adrenaline still pumping, stood back up and tried to aim at its neck, but he was too injured and trembling. The creature roared, preparing to attack again. Wilbur couldn't bear the weight of the torch anymore, his hand slumping slowly down towards the floor. He fired regardless, severing one the creature's legs from its knee, before dropping the spent torch. In a last ditch attempt fueled by instinct and a raw desire to survive, he hurried and started trampling with his boots on the fallen creature still squirming and slashing against the metal tiles. He stomped on its spine over and over again, enough times to hear the loud cracking of the bones, then stomped on its head and neck in a frenzy to decapitate it. Then, in the midst of the struggle, he collapsed unconscious on the floor, going into shock. The room became dead silent.

"Thank you for using the IXO Healing Station. We wish you a speedy recovery. Now playing: Lovebug by the Jonas Brothers."

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:40 pm 

Somehow I doubt that Wilbur Whateley would be the protagonist in such a story, since he himself was at least as much Eldritch abomination as man. ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:18 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
"Silent Hill 2 is not scary, but Kingdom Hearts is" ~Zelkiiro

Hahaha sounds about right.

Horror isn't about being scared of losing at the game, FFS.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:17 pm 

Super Meat Boy is the scariest game evar.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:49 pm 

The best horror games aren't the ones that "scare" you (i.e. startle you after some moments of tension). The best ones are those that disturb you, and this goes for horror in every single medium. Having ambiguous meat shapes blindly stumble towards you with unclear, yet surely unwholesome intentions in places where the laws of reality are dysfunctional drug addicts is infinitely more memorable than zombies popping out of lockers.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 pm 

I absolutely get the sentiment, but it's a shame that people often sell the old Resident Evil games short in these conversations. The second one specifically, it had such an atmosphere of dread, and superbly haunting music. Nah, it's not the cerebral sort of spooky like Silent Hill, but it felt more like the real world had been cursed with something terrible and you're stuck in the middle of it, rather than having a bad dream.

hots_towel wrote:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 pm 

Oh no, I get that, and I actually have quite the soft spot for the old PS1 RE titles (plus RE4, but I like that one for very different reasons). However, with the years, I have come to infinitely prefer the more surreal forms of horror over stuff that relies on the visceral side of things, and while it is true that the earlier Resident Evil games actually had a pretty damn oppressive atmosphere, the actual threats such as the zombies and the T-virus mutants induce a "oh man, that's a neat monster" sort of reaction in me, rather than a "WHAT IS THAT AND WHERE'S THE NEAREST EXIT DOOR" kind of response, and the mundane urban environments where you encounter them sure don't help.

I really wish more horror game devs were into uncanny, "reality currently hates you" type of horror. A subtle feeling of wrongness and a hazy atmosphere that follows dream logic can carry you far.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:11 am 

The best horror games are the ones that have limited inventory. REmake, System Shock 2, etc. ZombiU was the first game in years that genuinely scared me, something that all the no-combat BS like Amnesia failed to do. Five Nights at Freddy's gets a bad rap, but I still think it's highly effective, and that's entirely because of the resource management.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am 

gamespot gave dark souls 3 8 out of 10

actually there are a tonne of reviews out now

polygon gave it 7 out of 10

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:51 am 

Lots of 9 on various outlets, including a 9.5 from IGN.

Not that it matters one bit to me. I know I'll love it and getting it day 1. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:56 am 

lol same here i will get it day 1 no matter what but its still interesting to watch/read reviews before i can play the game

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:21 am 

I am reading nothing! Going in as blind as I can.

One more week to go... :(

Edit: oh, FWIW, the Gamespot reviewer who reviewed past Souls games is gone (Kevin Van Ord, he went to work on some MMO for some reason...), so that may explain why the newer one scored lower since it's a different guy. Haven't read the review though, don't care to.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759 ... 940  Next