Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:08 pm 

So there's a Mad Max game coming out accompanying the reboot of the series and it actually looks kinda cool.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 pm 

MORE OPEN WORLD FOR THE OPEN WORLD!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 pm 

To be fair a Mad Max game kind of needs to be open world. I'm not sure about that AssCreed melee combat but the vehicle combat looks cool at least. I'll definitely be checking that out. The graphics look cool as shit for sure.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:19 pm 

I don't know how you'd do a game in the Australian outback that wasn't open world, unless you just had invisiwalls fucking everywhere.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 pm 

The vehicle stuff does look cool, some straight up Twisted Metal right there.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:21 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I don't know how you'd do a game in the Australian outback that wasn't open world, unless you just had invisiwalls fucking everywhere.

Easy: if you stray too much from your path the fauna murders you.

Immersion stays intact (more or less) and you could implement a whole variety of hilarious death scenes. :-P

(obviously I'm taking this out of context here since none of this works in a Mad Max scenario)
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:43 am 

Nice to see the Bloodborne patch. I hope that they also fixed the bosses being stupid if you left the system on to long, maybe this time cleric beast will actually attack me and not the edge of the bridge.

For the other Jrpg fans today at 11am PST There is a Nintendo Direct and treehouse for Xenoblade Chronicles X so hopefully we will finally get the release date.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-24-2015/

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 am 

Haha, just a few weeks ago I was wondering why the hell there wasn't yet an open-world game based on Mad Max because the concept would work perfectly for the format. Guess that void has been filled. This looks pretty damn cool, all things considered, though it looks a little too overproduced and compulsive-action-fest for its own good. Shit like fancy rotating menus doesn't fit in the Mad Max atmosphere. And I had a bit of a laugh at "the wasteland is no place for a conscience" while the group of psychos politely stand in a circle and wait their turn to be killed.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:58 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
To be fair a Mad Max game kind of needs to be open world.

Sure...

Quote:
I'm not sure about that AssCreed melee combat

Aaaaaand I'm out.

Fuck off nowadays modern games.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:46 am 

It's annoying that they'd try to force a bunch of hand-to-hand combat into a Mad Max game since the films never focused on that at all. Sort of like turning a game based on John Woo films into a kung fu brawler or something.

And yeah, there's no real reason a Mad Max game would necessarily have to be open-world, but the landscape and the societal fabric of that fictional reality would seem to work well with it, provided the game was designed sensibly and well.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:51 am 

Morrigan wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
To be fair a Mad Max game kind of needs to be open world.

Sure...

Quote:
I'm not sure about that AssCreed melee combat

Aaaaaand I'm out.

Fuck off nowadays modern games.

I wonder if the melee combat is there just so they can say it's there, and the game doesn't revolve around it at all.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:08 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
It's annoying that they'd try to force a bunch of hand-to-hand combat into a Mad Max game since the films never focused on that at all. Sort of like turning a game based on John Woo films into a kung fu brawler or something.

And yeah, there's no real reason a Mad Max game would necessarily have to be open-world, but the landscape and the societal fabric of that fictional reality would seem to work well with it, provided the game was designed sensibly and well.

I hope it's the equivalent of fighting bare handed in Bloodborne. Hope melee is some kind of last resort mechanic.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 pm 

The new Mad Max movie looks dope but I'd never expect a video game adaptation to be much good. Even when video games adapted from films turn out to be decent, they're usually purely on-the-rails and offer practically no replay value.

After typing that, the cumulative months of playing GoldenEye as a kid flashed through my mind's eye.

TheSorrowfulNorth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:26 pm 

GrtUnclean wrote:
Nice to see the Bloodborne patch. I hope that they also fixed the bosses being stupid if you left the system on to long, maybe this time cleric beast will actually attack me and not the edge of the bridge.

For the other Jrpg fans today at 11am PST There is a Nintendo Direct and treehouse for Xenoblade Chronicles X so hopefully we will finally get the release date.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-24-2015/

The memory leak issue with leaving the system on too long has been fixed in the new patch:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/04/ ... d_prettier

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:36 pm 

I think that, if you're gonna include melee combat in a Mad Max game at all, it should probably be something like what you see in The Last of Us; very short, brutal beatdowns. Keep the emphasis on the shootin' and the drivin'.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Keep the emphasis on the shootin' and the drivin'.

Don't forget the sabotagin'.

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:30 pm 

Reminder that the game doesn't release until Sept 1st, so hopefully Avalanche will take time to better refine the melee combat. Hopefully it's more like how Naughty Dog does it in The Last of Us and the Uncharted games; simple, yet brutal and satisfying.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:22 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I think that, if you're gonna include melee combat in a Mad Max game at all, it should probably be something like what you see in The Last of Us; very short, brutal beatdowns. Keep the emphasis on the shootin' and the drivin'.

I'm pretty sure there are less than a dozen shots fired across the entire trilogy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:48 am 

Yeah, they bring that up in the video linked above: ammo is super scarce so there can't really be that much shootin'. Though there seemed to be one part where if you do a mission for that guy, he'll provide you with all the ammo you could ever want, so maybe it gets shootier later in the game.

I know everyone loves to hate AssCreed/Batman combat these days but I kinda like it. "But these guys are just standing around in a circle waiting to be killed!" So what! That's how all the fight scenes go down in so many movies that are just awesome, so playing a game version of that kind of thing seems A-OK by me. I just don't think it really ought to be a major part of the gameplay of a Mad Max game, though. I hope it's a pretty small part of the gameplay and that the vehicle combat is the main focus.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:47 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
"But these guys are just standing around in a circle waiting to be killed!" So what! That's how all the fight scenes go down in so many movies that are just awesome

No, you mean that's how the fight scenes go down in movies that are lame.

Plus it's brain-dead gameplay wise. Mash square to win, sometimes tap triangle to dodge. :zzz:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:08 am 

I think this is a common misconception people have about the Arkham games. Thing is, if you only mash the attack button and dodge, you may not die, but the fights end up taking forever because the default attacks do very little damage. The incentive for learning combos and gitting gud is finishing fights quickly. Trying to chain advanced combos also means risking taking damage and dying, but it still never occured to me to play it safe because that was obviously the wrong way to play. So that particular criticism is somewhat misled, at least when it comes to Batman. Sure, they could have nuked the safe route completely, but we're talking about a western AAA game here after all, so noobs need a way to get through the game.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:24 am 

Ninja Turtles >>> Morrigan.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
No, you mean that's how the fight scenes go down in movies that are lame.

Plus it's brain-dead gameplay wise. Mash square to win, sometimes tap triangle to dodge. :zzz:

I fear that you're basing your opinion of Arkham combat purely on Shadow of Mordor. This is a serious misrepresentation. Now while I'm no fan of Batman or Rocksteady I still have to admit that it's a solid combat system and having a variable difficulty setting in this day and age is a dream. I wish more AAA games would follow suit (apparently Watch Dogs has one? might actually have to give it a look-see now).

However, AssCreed combat can go suck a fuck. Awful, awful, completely boring combat that's all flash, zero substance. 100% challenge-free and games of its ilk can all go die in a fire.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:16 pm 

They feel like they're based on the same blueprints, but yes the Arkham combat is about 100x better than any of the AssCreed combat. You at least have to get a few combos in, instead of the winning one button input for AssCreed as the enemies stand around casually taking turns to die. It really is amazing, the combat is the equivalent to a one button input QTE. Deeeeeeeeep.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:48 am 

So apparently P.T is getting removed from the PS Store at the end of the month. RIP Silent Hills.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:13 am 

Well, fuck Konami in its legal person's face. Del Toro has shitty luck working on videogames. Real shame, because I'm very curious to see what he has to offer to the medium and a Silent Hill game was a great opportunity.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 am 

Yeah I'm pretty positive Silent Hills is not even happening at this point. Konami clearly doesn't give a fuck.

Get the demo while you can, probably won't be obtainable ever again.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:38 am 

Looks like Del Toro says it's not happening.
https://twitter.com/tvsmatthackney/stat ... 7427447808

Not surprising. RIP Silent Hill. It's baffling because the marketing hype behind it was insane, it was destined to be a success. Good job Konami.

http://i.imgur.com/qXwdlJ1.gif

Looks like Guy Chii is in another game though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEeevL4239I

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:26 pm 

Seriously, the heads of Konami, Capcom, and Square-Enix need to be abducted by aliens and replaced with people who actually WANT to make money.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:47 pm 

Hahaha,

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:25 pm 

It's just amazing to me how little they seem to care about what has historically been a pretty profitable franchise. For years now they've been dumping it on rookie developers and not giving them enough of a budget/timetable to do much of a good job, and not giving them a chance to try again either. I really think the guys who did Downpour could've made a really great Silent Hill game if they'd had another shot (and learned from their numerous mistakes the first time around, of course). It honestly just felt like a first draft of a game, but a really good game.

Oh well, we'll probably end up waiting another 5 years for a mildly disappointing game.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:30 pm 

The recent Silent Hill installments were lame, but my curiosity was piqued. I think it's stupid as shit that they'd waste all that time and money making that trailer, only to pull the plug on the game some months later.

Obligatory Last FM Link

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
It's just amazing to me how little they seem to care about what has historically been a pretty profitable franchise. For years now they've been dumping it on rookie developers and not giving them enough of a budget/timetable to do much of a good job, and not giving them a chance to try again either. I really think the guys who did Downpour could've made a really great Silent Hill game if they'd had another shot (and learned from their numerous mistakes the first time around, of course). It honestly just felt like a first draft of a game, but a really good game.

Oh well, we'll probably end up waiting another 5 years for a mildly disappointing game.

Silent Hill 1 sold less than 800k (Looking at NPD + Japan), and that was (sales-wise) the franchise's high point. Silent Hill 4 less than 300k. Granted, I don't know the budgets of these games, but it's hardly surprising that the franchise isn't given a ton of money.

The only classic horror franchise I really bother with these days is Fatal Frame. There are some gems like the original Amnesia, ZombiU, and FNaF (don't hate), but for the most part I really don't expect anything anymore.

Last edited by The Red Snifit on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:15 pm 

The PT hype machine was insane though, it was pretty much one of the biggest things on the PS4 to this day. With Kojima and Del Toro behind it, it was guaranteed to be a blockbuster.

Too much logic for Konami though.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:22 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
The PT hype machine was insane though, it was pretty much one of the biggest things on the PS4 to this day. With Kojima and Del Toro behind it, it was guaranteed to be a blockbuster.

Too much logic for Konami though.

I was talking more about the franchise in general, but yeah, you're right. It's almost amusing to see the most successful viral marketing campaign in recent memory result in nothing more than a cancelled project.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:42 pm 

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:04 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
FNaF

I was very impressed the first time I saw the game, very compelling mechanics and honestly kind of creepy (assuming, of course, you went in blind) and memorable (likeable?) enemies. It does wear off extremely fast, but the lore and back story propel it back into relevance. Honestly, I think Cawthon is a genius, not for creating an amazing game (because it isn't) but he made all the right moves to get people interested. It was basically the (very successful, if ultimately disappointing) approach Lost took a decade back, put into a videogame. Clever fella.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:10 pm 

I like it because my favorite thing about old horror games is that they put a heavy emphasis on resource conservation, and FNaF is about nothing but resource conservation. I'm probably one of the few people who liked the franchise more for the gameplay than the lore.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 pm 

Five Nights at Freddy's had gameplay?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:30 pm 

If anyone wants MK9, it's down to $5 on GetGames atm.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692 ... 940  Next