Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 pm 

I did. It's not awful or anything, but it's still just another pre-rendered CGI trailer that says roughly nothing at all about the game itself other than they're keeping the same gravel-voiced protagonist and the art design will (sadly) not be significantly altered from DX:HR. :|
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:12 pm 

what. The art design was literally the best part about that game.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 pm 

Someone please ban dark from being able to talk about art direction.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 pm 

Done!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:09 am 

Meh, earlier I wrote, "the uninspired art design which completely retconned the originals' in favor of a generic-ish anglicanized sci-fi anime theme (think Ghost in the Shell dusted with gold leaf)." What's so troubling about that? The art direction was completely detached from the original two games (which, admittedly weren't exactly great to begin with) and the yellow filter looked awful.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:29 am 

Morrigan wrote:
"Analysis"? That's not an analysis of anything, that's just you being a dumbass. "Some of them walk on two legs, therefore they're similar". Please.

I admitted that the intangible 'feel' I get from enemies was a very superficial way of looking at things, but it impacts my enjoyment of the game. I wasn't attempting some objective, mechanical analysis of the game, I was just talking about how much I enjoy it.

Morrigan wrote:
No, they're not. By your own logic, the black knights and manserpents are similar to the hollow soldiers, the miners in Stonefang and Latrian guards are similar to the 1-1 dreglings, etc. Complete bollocks.

For whatever reason, the black knights, manserpents, and hollow soldiers just feel different to me. The sackwielders and undead peasants do not. It's a reasonable assumption to say that this may be born out of my relative lack of experience/serious interest in videogames, but in terms of my own subjective impression of the game, it makes a difference.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Meh, earlier I wrote, "the uninspired art design which completely retconned the originals' in favor of a generic-ish anglicanized sci-fi anime theme (think Ghost in the Shell dusted with gold leaf)." What's so troubling about that? The art direction was completely detached from the original two games (which, admittedly weren't exactly great to begin with) and the yellow filter looked awful.

HR without the gold = Director's Cut = Mass Effect = generic.

You bringing up "art design" for every game lately has gotten tiresome...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:07 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Discussions in this thread and especially regarding certain "favored child" developers are regularly taken deeply personally, where a criticism or a jab or a snide comment about them or one of their products is seen as not only unreasonable in the "greater scheme of things" but often as some sort of personal attack towards anyone who happens to enjoy their games..

Oh fuck off. People were addressing criticism that was seen as bogus and ignorant, it has nothing to do with fanboy favouritism and the worst part is that I'm sure you know this and you just want to be that guy again.

darkeningday wrote:
Meh, earlier I wrote, "the uninspired art design which completely retconned the originals' in favor of a generic-ish anglicanized sci-fi anime theme (think Ghost in the Shell dusted with gold leaf)." What's so troubling about that?

Because it looks nothing like that. Once again, whether or not you like the art direction, your comparison is asinine and completely off-mark. Anime look? Ghost in the Shell? WTF?

CardsOfWar wrote:
For whatever reason, the black knights, manserpents, and hollow soldiers just feel different to me. The sackwielders and undead peasants do not. It's a reasonable assumption to say that this may be born out of my relative lack of experience/serious interest in videogames, but in terms of my own subjective impression of the game, it makes a difference.

Um. Okay. (PS: you're still wrong, not to mention inconsistent, but, whatever.)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:31 pm 

If only everyone was as polite and all knowing as Morrigan the world would be such a great place. You might need to edit this post with a sarcasm spoiler.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:53 pm 

If only Sick6Six wasn't so butthurt for people calling him out on his bullshit, the world would be such a great (but sadly not as entertaining) place.

In any case to move on, anyone here picked for the Rainbow Six closed beta?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Meh, earlier I wrote, "the uninspired art design which completely retconned the originals' in favor of a generic-ish anglicanized sci-fi anime theme (think Ghost in the Shell dusted with gold leaf)." What's so troubling about that?

Because it looks nothing like that. Once again, whether or not you like the art direction, your comparison is asinine and completely off-mark. Anime look? Ghost in the Shell? WTF?

Um...it actually does look a lot like Ghost in the Shell, minus the rampant tits and purple hair and other anime-isms. I don't really see that as a bad thing.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:07 pm 

The original Deux Ex games were ugly as hell. The further we get away from that the better.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:07 pm 

I make no bones about being anime illiterate but c'mon, HR's aesthetic is strongly redolent of some cyberpunk-ish anime. Hell, this poster for Appleseed II, which came out long before HR had even been announced, could have well been concept art for the game. And not just the yellow filter; the armor design is almost identical.

And it's with good reason, of course; most of the animes HR takes its influence from dealt directly with transhumanism, so it's easy to see why Eidos Montreal went in that direction. I just don't like it personally (the oversaturated colors clash with the darker tone the game seems to be aiming for) and don't think it fits in well with the previous two games.

Sick6Six wrote:
If only everyone was as polite and all knowing as Morrigan the world would be such a great place. You might need to edit this post with a sarcasm spoiler.

I know where you're coming from but if you took a second to see what she's achieved with this site and the selflessness with which both she and HB continue to operate it, you might think twice before saying something like that ;) .

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:45 pm 

I have complimented them plenty of times including Morrigan on her gaming skills, and we can see where that ends up. I find it really hilarious that my whole argument over this bug is total bullshit according to you guys, and that From Software knew all about it. You guys are so far up your own asses to even consider for a second that maybe I'm right and they fucked up. They already patched a duping and game progression bug that they missed until players figured it out. Take a look at the game credits, they have about 50 programmers, 4 QA Testers, and 100+ other people. 4 testers for a game this huge is completely insane, I genuinely feel bad for those guys, they probably work like slaves. So when they announce they are trying to patch this "unintentional bug" as all the sites are reporting it, I will still be full of shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:10 pm 

Sick6Six is getting a time out for a week. If you can't stop bitching and moaning and whining, this is what happens.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:15 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I have complimented them plenty of times including Morrigan on her gaming skills, and we can see where that ends up. I find it really hilarious that my whole argument over this bug is total bullshit according to you guys, and that From Software knew all about it. You guys are so far up your own asses to even consider for a second that maybe I'm right and they fucked up. They already patched a duping and game progression bug that they missed until players figured it out. Take a look at the game credits, they have about 50 programmers, 4 QA Testers, and 100+ other people. 4 testers for a game this huge is completely insane, I genuinely feel bad for those guys, they probably work like slaves. So when they announce they are trying to patch this "unintentional bug" as all the sites are reporting it, I will still be full of shit.

I don't think anyone was really commenting on the actual situation with the Bloodborne bug, just on the fact that the statement that game companies would never release games with known bugs in them is completely ridiculous...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:18 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Um...it actually does look a lot like Ghost in the Shell, minus the rampant tits and purple hair and other anime-isms. I don't really see that as a bad thing.

Those things are pretty ubiquitous to the GitS look, IMO. That's like saying "this looks like a Blizzard game minus the giant spikes, horns and pauldrons and garish colours everywhere". :D

Sick6Six wrote:
I have complimented them plenty of times including Morrigan on her gaming skills, and we can see where that ends up. I find it really hilarious that my whole argument over this bug is total bullshit according to you guys, and that From Software knew all about it. You guys are so far up your own asses to even consider for a second that maybe I'm right and they fucked up.

But... no one has said they definitely knew about it. FSM said they might have known about it but were trapped by a release date, and I said the opposite, that they might have missed it, and explained why.

The only one with his head so far up his arse is the one who doesn't even know what he's arguing about anymore. Jesus fucking christ. :lol:

HellBlazer wrote:
I don't think anyone was really commenting on the actual situation with the Bloodborne bug, just on the fact that the statement that game companies would never release games with known bugs in them is completely ridiculous...

Indeed. I think hey's post summed it up quite nicely. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:52 pm 

Butbut, UBI released two AssCreed games at the same time, surely they can get a fair pass for a such noble, pro-consumer endeavor!

Oh wait. Both games were $60 fucking dollars each, with Rogue being the shortest AC game yet and having massive animation and asset re-use from Black Flag, and Unity being a drinks coaster for nearly a full month after release.

If games were formally disallowed from being released due to having any major-ish bugs whatsoever, pretty much none of my favorite games would ever have been released. STALKER: SoC, any Gothic game, X3: Reunion, Vampire Bloodlines, KOTOR2, the list goes on. Bloodborne's bug is almost a non-issue in comparison.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:54 pm 

Demon's Souls never patched the duping glitch*, nor a gamebreaking bug (if you die at the same time as defeating the Dragon God boss, you'll be screwed later and won't be able to access the end-game...). :lol:

* Which had the side effect of letting the PvP community to thrive a lot longer than it would have had otherwise, haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:07 pm 

Haha, and let's not forget this gem (which was patched but plenty of other issues weren't):

Probably still the funniest bug I've seen.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:22 pm 

Ahahaha that's like some David Lynch shit. The combination of the super nice, calm tone and the horrific head spinning is so great it could almost be intentional, if it were Silent Hill: New Vegas.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:25 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Ahahaha that's like some David Lynch shit. The combination of the super nice, calm tone and the horrific head spinning is so great it could almost be intentional, if it were Silent Hill: New Vegas.

Goddamn. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:50 pm 

Hahahaha I remember that one. I have to agree, it's the funniest bug ever. Even better than the flying horses and shit from Red Dead Redemption. I still laugh every time I see that old man's head spinning around.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:37 pm 

Yeah, I don't typically keep up with video game news and stuff (other than this thread) but back when I was playing LotRO like crazy and staying active on their forums, every single release (full-blown expansions, major content updates, even minor updates) would come right out of the gate on release date with a list of "known issues."

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm 

I don't think it should be considered an unacceptable practice if the game is functional. A spinning head is a long way away from, say, the entirety of Battlefield 4 for the first two months it was out.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:54 pm 

How far are you guys in the Chalice Dungeons? Loran's second boss is destroying me. Bloodletting Beast was crazy too. Lots of unique enemies and bosses popping up now. This is way harder than the core game. Granted, it was probably designed with co-op in mind.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:51 am 

So I've started playing Divine Divinity after darkeningday continued to recommend it. I'm a few hours in, and have completed the first dungeon. I was surprised by how tough it got in the later sections, though I noticed my character improving with every level up pretty substantially. At first I was a bit cautious of the game as dark likened it to Diablo, which is a game I really don't like. Fortunately, it's been a bit different. Combat hasn't just been charge in and butcher everything aimlessly but a bit more tactful. I wouldn't really call it strategic, but it certainly doesn't feel like brainless hack and slash. This could be because I'm playing a mage character, though. The spells feel really satisfying to use.

I also rather like the art design, which I know is a bit of an issue for many people. While wholly unrealistic, the whole Conan and Red Sonja thing has always been rather charming to me. Romanticising masculine savagery and feminine beauty in a cruel world where the strong rule. It appeals to me.

And the music is very good too. I'm really enjoying the game so far. Hopefully it holds up throughout.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:22 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Hahahaha I remember that one. I have to agree, it's the funniest bug ever. Even better than the flying horses and shit from Red Dead Redemption. I still laugh every time I see that old man's head spinning around.

Yes that game had some amazing glitches. The bird people one being my favourite.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:24 am 

Xeogred wrote:
How far are you guys in the Chalice Dungeons? Loran's second boss is destroying me. Bloodletting Beast was crazy too. Lots of unique enemies and bosses popping up now. This is way harder than the core game. Granted, it was probably designed with co-op in mind.

Here are the "story" (or, non-root) chalice dungeons I have left:
- Pthumeru Ihyll (and whatever's after)
- Sinister Hintertomb
- Sinister Loran
- Isz (all)

The worst so far was by far the Defiled Chalice. Holy shit. The penalty is
Spoiler: show
50% health
and it's like NG++ difficulty, it's brutal. I've been breezing through NG+ in comparison. Unseen Village? Pah, didn't die once. Those hunters and scary boxed monstrosities that used to scare me so much in NG? Barely a threat and the boss was a joke. Almost disappointing. :D

But that defiled chalice dungeon almost broke me. Goddamn. Just cleared it tonight and I feel like a badass. :D

Edit: oh, btw... you thought the wheel skeletons were bad? HAHAHAHAHA you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til you see the
rolling naked fatties... :eek:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:23 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
So I've started playing Divine Divinity after darkeningday continued to recommend it. I'm a few hours in, and have completed the first dungeon. I was surprised by how tough it got in the later sections, though I noticed my character improving with every level up pretty substantially. At first I was a bit cautious of the game as dark likened it to Diablo, which is a game I really don't like. Fortunately, it's been a bit different. Combat hasn't just been charge in and butcher everything aimlessly but a bit more tactful. I wouldn't really call it strategic, but it certainly doesn't feel like brainless hack and slash. This could be because I'm playing a mage character, though. The spells feel really satisfying to use.

I also rather like the art design, which I know is a bit of an issue for many people. While wholly unrealistic, the whole Conan and Red Sonja thing has always been rather charming to me. Romanticising masculine savagery and feminine beauty in a cruel world where the strong rule. It appeals to me.

And the music is very good too. I'm really enjoying the game so far. Hopefully it holds up throughout.

Could probably move this over to the PC & Indie Game thread; it needs some serious love!

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:11 pm 

Even though I bought Majora's Mask on the 3DS at launch, I haven't really played it until today. Several things are to blame: Vacation in Vegas, Monster Hunter 4 launching at the same time, Bloodborne, work, getting ready to move, etc.

But I finally got a piece of that Zelda game today and it's quite amazing. Already I like it better than Ocarina and I only played a couple of hours.

There's constant suspense with the always looming threat of 3 days until..........you know. It's eerie and dark and suspenseful. It's Zelda with a different style and mood and atmosphere. I'm happy with this one. So far I don't have a strong 3rd favorite Zelda game. As of now it's the Gameboy version Link's Awakening. Nothing will beat out A Link to the Past it seems. Twilight Princess is heavily solidified as my 2nd favorite. Maybe Majora's Mask can be a strong third place. Unless I like Windwaker HD more, which I haven't touched yet either.

Oh and in Bloodborne, I beat the first boss of the defiled chalice. Bloodborne is still tons of fun.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:13 pm 

Majora's Mask 3D was an absolute pleasure to play. Easily one of my favourite Zelda games (way too hard for me to actually pick favourites) and such an amazing remake. I only wish I didn't burn through it so damn quickly, even though collecting every heart piece and all the stray fairies seemed to take forever. Enjoy it.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:27 pm 

I wasn't that fussed on the change they made to the the Twinmold boss fight. But yeah, it's a great remake apart from that. It was nice revisiting the game.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:53 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Even though I bought Majora's Mask on the 3DS at launch, I haven't really played it until today. Several things are to blame: Vacation in Vegas, Monster Hunter 4 launching at the same time, Bloodborne, work, getting ready to move, etc.
Either have I, hell, I have 30 Xbox games I haven't played and 20 Gamecube games including Bounty Hunter and Batman Begins plus every other Batman game waiting. I need a vacation for videogames.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:12 pm 

Why am I having so much trouble with Blood-starved Beast all of a sudden? Now I'm stuck on him in both the Loran Chalice and main game on NG+! :grr:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Why am I having so much trouble with Blood-starved Beast all of a sudden? Now I'm stuck on him in both the Loran Chalice and main game on NG+! :grr:

The Monstars zapped down to Earth from Moron Mountain and stole your talent so that they could beat the Looney Tunes in a Bloodborne zero-death naked dagger-only NG+ challenge.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:05 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

The Monstars zapped down to Earth from Moron Mountain and stole your talent so that they could beat the Looney Tunes in a Bloodborne zero-death naked dagger-only NG+ challenge.

It just came out of nowhere since he was an absolute joke on the first run. He was bonkers aggressive this time around and exploding with poison diarrhea so that was half the battle too. Finally took him down wearing the black church clothes (highest poison defense) and using the blunderbuss which was easier to stagger him with, so I got some visceral attacks on him. I was so pissed I immediately went back into the Loran Chalice dungeon and finally killed him there too haha.

Damn!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 pm 

Maybe your first game was glitched and you had the dumb AI? :P

I had no problem with him on NG, but he almost killed me in NG+, had some close calls and almost ran out of vials. In the chalice dungeon he killed me once, but I came back with a poison resist rune and it made a huge difference.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:22 am 

That or I wonder if I pulled some magical glitch that made everything 10x harder now. :LOL:, seriously NG+ was a cake walk up through the first two bosses, but now overnight it just got way harder. Obviously expected in a sense, but good lord... not sure what happened haha.

I read somewhere last week someone thought leveling up too much actually ends up being counterproductive and makes the game harder, because the enemies start scaling or something? Seems kind of BS to me, since I don't know if these games have ever worked quite like that. Demon's got easier with every level up. Think I'm 105-115 somewhere in there in Bloodborne.

The story is bonkers. Any takes on it?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:38 am 

I vote bonkers. I alternated my NG+ between story progress and chalice dungeons so I'm quite high level (I don't care about level caps on this first character, not bothering min-maxing) and I'm like level 150, and the story gameplay (weird thing to say I know, I mean the non-chalice game) has been piss-easy for the most part. The first few bosses such as Amelia and BSB were a bit "whoa, they don't fuck around" but that quickly passed, I've been powering through quite easily and haven't died to a single non-chalice boss other than once on Amelia*. Compared to depth 4 and 5 dungeons, NG+ is a total cakewalk at this level (and a +10 weapon). Died plenty of times to chalice bosses or mobs, though. The bell maidens and their red spiders.... gaaaaaah.

And the rolling fatty. I actually haven't killed him yet. I ran around him and opened the sarcofagus he was guarding then I ran like a little bitch. Harder than most bosses, he is!

* So far, what's left for me in non-chalice NG+ is:
- Ebrietas (so this may change the "no dying" streak xD)
- Amygdala
- Mergo's Wet Nurse
- Last boss

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688 ... 940  Next