Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Racist yes, but sexist? Not really, no­. And you know I have sharp eyes for that. :P

I haven't played it since release so I'll defer to you, but I do remember the two articles I posted being more or less right on the money, especially with the "Men always underestimate women" line the megalomaniacal Asian says to him, to which Jensen later ripostes, "Women always underestimate men" accompanied by a swift sock to the mouth. It's true that often times simply bad writing is mistaken for sexist/racist writing, but it's also true the two are often hand-in-hand. Miser(able writing) loves company.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:26 pm 

If I remember correctly the asian woman is actually trying to kill Jensen...and she is the main villain. "well, I know she's the evil mastermind behind the enslave all augmented people plan and she is trying to kill me, but she's a woman so I'll won't punch her in the face trying to save the world." :scratch:

From the Deus Ex wiki:

Zhao is a cutthroat, ruthless, and brutal woman that uses military force and corporate sabotage to drive her competitors out of business. She attempts to buy out all of her enemies, and when that doesn't work, she hires freelance hackers to steal their secrets. Despite her criminal activities, her substantial wealth and usage of Belltower as a private army renders her untouchable, legally or otherwise.

How is sexist?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:55 pm 

It's not that he punches her, it's that he says "Women always underestimate men" and THEN punches her. But I'm not really sure if that's deepseated sexism or just shitty writing. Either way, it's not good.

While Zhao (the name alone makes me cringe) is brilliant, self-actualizing and has mountains of agency, she's also evil, and that makes all the difference. It's that longstanding notion that powerful, intelligent women can only be evil.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:02 pm 

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

I'm not gonna say that game developers should represent all facets of society, or give credence to the more extreme examples such as that one, but I have met women who talk and act like that. In Kentucky, Alabama, South Carolina, and Georgia primarily. I've also firsthand lived with black guys for months that spoke completely in ebonics. Why either of those would fit in a game like Deux Ex I wouldn't know because I never played any of them. Something tells me it wasn't required.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
It's not that he punches her, it's that he says "Women always underestimate men" and THEN punches her. But I'm not really sure if that's deepseated sexism or just shitty writing. Either way, it's not good.

While Zhao (the name alone makes me cringe) is brilliant, self-actualizing and has mountains of agency, she's also evil, and that makes all the difference. It's that longstanding notion that powerful, intelligent women can only be evil.

Eh. She said the reverse to him first, so it just seems like shitty, "oh snap!" writing to me. It's just a crappy back and forth. Nothing sexist about it.

This megalomaniac happens to be a woman. I don't see anything wrong with it.

edit

I'm pretty sure the majority of CEO type major characters in games are evil, women just as much as men.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:25 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I'm not gonna say that game developers should represent all facets of society, or give credence to the more extreme examples such as that one, but I have met women who talk and act like that. In Kentucky, Alabama, South Carolina, and Georgia primarily. I've also firsthand lived with black guys for months that spoke completely in ebonics. Why either of those would fit in a game like Deux Ex I wouldn't know because I never played any of them. Something tells me it wasn't required.

I'll admit before I made my comment I completely forgot about Letitia the trash diver, but yeah haha.

Still though... it does seem alien to me if you've somehow grown up in this world and not been around that in some form. Talk about sheltered! I'm laughing at GTA5 now because half this shit is too damn true. Crazy flashbacks to my childhood best friends place, his mom yelling at him to get "the goddam fucking remote!" We were in like 4th grade.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:59 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm pretty sure the majority of CEO type major characters in games are evil, women just as much as men.

I agree, but remember that I took issue not with the fact the game had an evil CEO woman (at least, not this fact by itself) but with your assertion that because she was a powerful woman that somehow barricaded her character from sexist criticism. My point was that you can have a powerful woman without her being an empowered woman.

But I mostly agree with you and we're kind of spinning our wheels here anyway, AND I don't even have a vagina so I probably have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about :P .

I still think Zhao is a really stupid name for an evil Asian lady though...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:03 pm 

Political correctness is becoming a mask for the trigger-happy. Turns out people of all races and genders have questionable behaviors. Latinos are barely even in games and even more rarely playable. The one (one!) playable character who is Puerto Rican (as far as I know) is Killer 7's Coyote Smith, who (while pretty cool to use) was a petty thief, thug and generally good-for-nothing hooligan and has literally no development that even hints at other dimensions of his personality that could redeem him. And let's not even talk about examples of Puerto Rican NPCs. But I recognize the fact that these Puerto Ricans exist, and these stories happen to include them. Whoever is stupid or bigoted enough to paint us all with the same brush due to baseless assumptions made from pieces of media, isn't worth my time in the first place.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:15 pm 

And the term "politically correct" is one invented and primarily used by right-wing conservatives as a way to white-wash and dismiss anything that they find could be a threat to the status quo.

And the problem extends itself far beyond lack of Puerto Rican representation in video games.

You're more than welcome to keep the wool tightly fixed over your own eyes but I'd ask you not to poke and prod those who don't. Also the, "Well I'm X and I'm okay with Y, therefore it isn't an issue" is silly. There are women who are misogynists and there are black people who are racist against black people. Maybe it's not my place to call them out because it's something that needs to be dealt with within their communities, but I sure as hell can recognize it.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:30 pm 

Not enjoying GTA V much. Honestly it doesn't feel like a game, it's just seemingly random tasks to get money to buy shit and unlock shit, then rinse and repeat. You know a game is bullshit when you fail a mission, not because of time or difficulty but because you don't know the controls. Oh I was supposed to read the little black box that popped up momentarily when I was driving at full speed through heavy traffic? I simply get more enjoyment out of Crackdown, and on that note maybe I should buy the Just Cause 2-pack?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 pm 

Have you seen Yahtzee's review of it? Your opinion seems to mirror his (which will probably mirror mine as well):

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:05 am 

darkeningday wrote:
And the term "politically correct" is one invented and primarily used by right-wing conservatives as a way to white-wash and dismiss anything that they find could be a threat to the status quo.

Let's start by separating meaning ("the attitude or policy of being careful not to offend or upset any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage"; which is what I use and is written in what you linked) and use. What was it intended for in it's inception or what do some people use it for is not my concern.
darkeningday wrote:
And the problem extends itself far beyond lack of Puerto Rican representation in video games.

Examples, darkeningday, it's an example. Must I explicitly point that out? OK, then: it's an example.
darkeningday wrote:
You're more than welcome to keep the wool tightly fixed over your own eyes but I'd ask you not to poke and prod those who don't. Also the, "Well I'm X and I'm okay with Y, therefore it isn't an issue" is silly. There are women who are misogynists and there are black people who are racist against black people. Maybe it's not my place to call them out because it's something that needs to be dealt with within their communities, but I sure as hell can recognize it.

I'm skeptical to the idea that everyone that presents members of a group in a negative light, has some sort of pernicious agenda or ill will towards the group. All kinds of discrimination exist, no doubt about that. But not every instance of tastelessness is a malicious discriminatory message. My example pointed out that we (Puerto Ricans) have absolutely no positive representation in videogames, and Latinos in general have very little representation as a whole. That needs to change, but I can't expect every single representation of a Latino individual to be positive because that is not accurate. A member of my race can be depicted in a negative fashion because we (or any other group in society) have members that exhibit whatever derogatory adjective you can think of, as does any other group in society. You can point it out, you have the right to do so, but you also have to watch where you point your finger, because if the accusation is unwarranted, you belittle the problem of discrimination by equating it to trigger-happy nitpicking.

darkeningday wrote:
There are women who are misogynists and there are black people who are racist against black people.

Oh, I sure hope you aren't implying that I dislike my race or my own nationality, because I take great offense to that, and out of respect for you and anyone who reads, I will not elaborate further on that.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:22 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Not enjoying GTA V much. Honestly it doesn't feel like a game, it's just seemingly random tasks to get money to buy shit and unlock shit, then rinse and repeat. You know a game is bullshit when you fail a mission, not because of time or difficulty but because you don't know the controls. Oh I was supposed to read the little black box that popped up momentarily when I was driving at full speed through heavy traffic? I simply get more enjoyment out of Crackdown, and on that note maybe I should buy the Just Cause 2-pack?

It's kind of superficial on my part, but nowadays, if sandbox games don't have a cool gimmick like RDR's Western setting or superpowers, then I just don't really care. What's the point of playing in a huge, elaborate environment if it's going to look completely mundane and/or I can't tear the place up at will?

And yes, Just Cause 2 is badass. Buy it yesterday.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:47 am 

I might be burned out on more open games coming out of Far Cry 4, but I'm also not sure what to think of GTA5 so far.

Also not sure what to think of Dragon Age.

Played many great games this year, guess the streak was maybe going to end at some point... lol.

Here's my list for the year so far:
Spoiler: show
1. Dead Space 3* + Awakened (PS3)
2. Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD (WiiU)
3. Super Metroid* (WiiU)
4. Binary Domain (PS3)
5. New Super Mario Bros U (WiiU)
6. Silent Hill 4 The Room (PS2)
7. Deus Ex: HR* Director's Cut (WiiU)
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
9. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
10. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
11. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (WiiU)
12. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
13. Dark Souls (PS3)
14. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut (PS3)
15. Killzone 3 (PS3)
16. Zone of the Enders 2 HD (PS3)
17. Metroid Fusion* (WiiU)
18. Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
19. Shovel Knight (WiiU)
20. Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
21. New Super Luigi U (WiiU)
22. Doom II Master Levels (PS3)
23. Doom II No Rest for the Living (PS3)
24. Final Doom: Plutonia (PS3)
25. Final Doom: TNT Evilution (PS3)
26. Super Mario World* (WiiU)
27. Super Mario Bros 3* (WiiU)
28. Super Mario Bros* (WiiU)
29. Doom II* (PS3)
30. Metroid* (WiiU)
31. Ultimate Doom* | Doom Classic Complete (PS3)
32. Zelda II: Adventure of Link (WiiU)
33. Kirby's Adventure* (WiiU)
34. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island* (WiiU)
35. Super Mario Bros 2* (WiiU)
36. Fatal Frame* (PS2)
37. Kirby Superstar* (WiiU)
38. Silent Hill Shattered Memories (YT)
39. Fatal Frame 2 (PS2)
40. Silent Hill Origins (PS2)
41. Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction (PS3)
42. Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)
43. Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty (PS3)
44. Silent Hill Downpour (360)
45. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
46. Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii)
47. Resident Evil Zero (Wii)
48. Resident Evil* (Wii)
49. Resident Evil 2* (PSX)
50. Ratchet & Clank: Future Crack in Time (PS3)
51. Resident Evil 3* (PSX)
52. Bioshock* (PC)
53. Bioshock 2* + Minerva's Den (PC)
54. Bioshock Infinite* + Burial at Sea 1-2 (PC)
55. Wolfenstein The New Order (PC)
56. Half Life 2* (PC)
57. Half Life 2 Episode One* (PC)
58. Alien Isolation (PC)
59. Half Life 2 Episode Two* (PC)
60. The Evil Within (PS4)
61. The Last of Us + Left Behind (PS4)
62. Far Cry 4 (PS4)

* = replay

Dropped:

1. Kirby's Amazing Mirror (GBA)
2. Lightning Returns (PS3)
3. Lost Planet 3 (PS3)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:52 am 

Yeah that line wasn't sexist, just a really dumb "no u" retort haha. Personally I don't mind evil female masterminds too much, female villains can be interesting if they're shown to be actually smart and resourceful and not just lame femme fatales. Zhao isn't too great because her dialogue is cheesy, but it's a start and definitely an upgrade over the oversexualized fighting fuck toy or the helpless dumb broad. And she wasn't the only "strong female" of the game, Malik was pretty cool.

As far as "evil female CEOs" go, however, Scylla Cartier-Wells from Remember Me is way, way, way better than Zhao. :) Like, there's no comparison haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:18 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's not that he punches her, it's that he says "Women always underestimate men" and THEN punches her. But I'm not really sure if that's deepseated sexism or just shitty writing.

He never punches her; that's either a delusion or an outright fabrication.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:23 am 

Yeah I don't actually remember that, but then again I didn't even remember the line to begin with, possibly because I just rolled my eyes and preferred to pretend I didn't hear it. xD

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:26 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Have you seen Yahtzee's review of it? Your opinion seems to mirror his (which will probably mirror mine as well):
Spoiler: show

The characters are very much this guy's write up, something I intentionally didn't bother to include, and his spiel about total sandbox until mission point, misstep because of unclear parameters and MISSION FAILED is dead on. It's like the game assumes you've done it before and are aware of the failure points. It's also lame how the list of mission objectives are sometimes really mundane things, and you have to do them all or you won't pass.
Xlxlx wrote:

:nods:

I would have bought Far Cry: The Wild Expedition today if Far Cry 1 and Blood Dragon weren't listed as digital-only on the back of the box. What a load of rubbish.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:32 am 

Alex Cranz didn't seem to bother to edit her article accordingly anyway, even when it was pointed out to her that Jensen doesn't flirt with Malik, something which she affirmed and said she'd "make a note" of. Bah.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:58 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:
... maybe I should buy the Just Cause 2-pack?[/b]

Word of warning; don't bother going for 100% in Just Cause 2, it is NOT worth it. Incredibly fun, casual game, but getting to 100% will get monotonous and you get nothing for doing so.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:06 am 

That and there is a glitch in Just Cause 2 where it is impossible to get 100% unless you mod it.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:15 am 

Derigin wrote:
Word of warning; don't bother going for 100% in Just Cause 2, it is NOT worth it. Incredibly fun, casual game, but getting to 100% will get monotonous and you get nothing for doing so.

Sounds like a game I shouldn't play.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:20 pm 

Same here, I have a really bad completionist habit with games.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:12 pm 

Same. I had to force myself to stop collecting shit in FC4. :lol:

That and I'm a bit weary about the "open world" trend getting even bigger lately, with Japan finally taking the plunge with FFXV, Zelda, MGS, etc... though I have a feeling they'll do it better.

Maybe I'm weird, but I still like linear games.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:31 pm 

Yeah it seems like AAA developers have lost the art of making really good linear games, with level design that flows logically and doesn't require a compass and objective markers and whatnot. Games like HL2 or FEAR just don't get made by big developers anymore, from what I've seen.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:37 pm 

Wolfenstein The New Order was a good one, probably the best simplistic single player FPS since Bioshock Infinite to me. But I replayed HL2 afterwards and my only complaint about Wolfenstein is that it's broken up a fair bit, sometimes levels feel short, you're often going back to this "safe" small hub area with the main characters, etc. I was kind of blown away for the 50th time with how utterly nonstop HL2 is with its action, once the roller coaster gets going it doesn't let up. The action in Wolfenstein was incredible, but often felt far too brief for its awesomeness.

I still keep wondering if you've touched Dark Souls FSM? I feel like they're pretty much perfect for me when it comes to level design. Linear but with branching paths, fairly Zelda/Metroid-esque to me.

But yeah, for instance... I could go for more games like The Evil Within and Last of Us right now. Definitely my style.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:47 pm 

Derigin wrote:

Oh yeah, I can imagine that. I've never been big on 100% completion myself, and much less so for games as stupidly big as Just Cause 2. Besides, one of JC2's main selling points is making your own fun, and what is more fun than hooking enemy soldiers to passing vehicles or hijacking planes mid-air?
failsafeman wrote:
Yeah it seems like AAA developers have lost the art of making really good linear games, with level design that flows logically and doesn't require a compass and objective markers and whatnot. Games like HL2 or FEAR just don't get made by big developers anymore, from what I've seen.

Which is exactly why sandbox games are still going strong. I know quite a few people here aren't fond of the style, but precisely because sandbox titles don't require intricate level design, devs can just concentrate on other aspects, usually to positive effect.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:08 pm 

SUIKODEN 2 IS FINALLY 100% OFFICIALLY COMING TO PSN

http://kotaku.com/rejoice-suikoden-and- ... 1667738873

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:49 pm 

Bwahaha, Squenix you magnificent trolls. "People really really want a new version of FF7 on PS4? Well alright then, anything for the fans! We have this PC version here, we'll just port that. They'll be happy right?"

In other PlayStation Experience news:

Uncharted 4 looks pretty as fuck.

Day of the Tentacle remaster, sweet!

I was wrong about the Deus Ex reveal. :(

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:23 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
SUIKODEN 2 IS FINALLY 100% OFFICIALLY COMING TO PSN

Morrigan ten months ago wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING REGRETS

:thumbsup:

I hope for your sake this doesn't get released on PSN for $10 next week or something... :oh shit:

BastardHead, in response wrote:
I swear if that happens, I'm gonna hunt down and strangle... uhhh... Zelkiiro! Yeah, we'll go with him.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:47 pm 

You'll have to find me, first!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:16 pm 

:lol:

Man, the tears from those who expected the FF7 remake are delicious.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:44 pm 

Apparently, there are going to be procedurally genereated dungeons in Bloodborne:

It seems like they are meant to be tackled in co-op. Speaking of which:

Two things; 1) that boss seems to showcase the way the beast form (Bloodborne's take on going Hollow) will work, or at least I seriously hope so, because awesome, and 2) Victorian. Era. Flamethrower.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:35 pm 

Dayum.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:23 pm 

Was never a huge Uncharted fan, saw no desire to play 3. But after The Last of Us, knowing this one has that writer (I think?), I'm definitely curious about this one.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:42 am 

Screw that, look at the water droplets on his pants!!!11

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:48 am 

It's rather impressive how gradually his pants get wet, and how detailed it is.

Also, you may want to spoiler that. It's slowed the page down to a crawl for me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:51 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Also, you may want to spoiler that. It's slowed the page down to a crawl for me.

Applies hundred fold for that "worst song" thread.

That gif was pretty neat. Could be a QTE sequence with the action marks removed for demonstration purposes. I never played any of the Uncharted games but was always interested. Don't think I'll get around to this one just because I don't want a console. Barely any time to play games anymore. :(
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:56 pm 

On the topic of Bloodborne, I noticed the old-Englishy world seemed oddly familiar. Well, I thought on it a bit, and I think I’ve found the answer. Remember the DLC package in Dark Souls? Remember Marvelous Chester, that asshole merchant who sells items at twice their cost? Remember how he said he was from another world? Could the world of Bloodborne be the home of Marvelous Chester? Will we see more of him? GOTTA WAIT ‘TIL MARCH, BRO.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643 ... 940  Next