* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:18 pm 

Quote:
Anything involving Heyman is instantly watchable
i agree. The only things worth watching in that movie is his commentating and maybe (call me sick i don't care) Rebecca romjin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm 

Corey Taylor's story behind Slipknot's cameo in the Rollerball remake is pretty hilarious, going through the technical issues with the scenery during their performance, the fact that nobody in the movie's Mongolia actually looked Mongolian, and noting that John McTiernan started crying after they shot the scene and lamented the plight of Native Americans.

--

I watched Hush last night. Loved it. Ultra tense, scary movie. That's how you do a home invasion flick right. Mike Flanagan does it again.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:33 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Spoiler: show
The thing is that in the original she dies in a rock climbing accident and she's also older (in her 20s IIRC?), so that could have been avoided easily without doing away with the ethical questions. But I guess if it's the big screen moar cancer moar drama?

But that would just sorta raise the question of why she can't just, y'know, forbid her daughter from going rock climbing that day? I think the idea of inoperable cancer was that it was inevitable no matter what anyone did. But that's my problem with this sort of time travel/predestination story - they start falling apart pretty quickly once you start asking questions.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 am 

Well see,

I think the point is that the predestination part doesn't even really matter in this specific case. The woman either accepted that evens couldn't be changed, or more plausibly, just decided to let things play out the way she saw in her visions because maybe she's selfish and wanted to fall in love and wanted to be with her daughter even if her daughter DID get incurable cancer. Her husband thinking that's fucked up, presumably also assuming it would be possible for her to choose other than that life, is also a position we can empathize with. I think it did a great job of humanizing both positions. I mean, do we also criticize people in fucking awful living conditions for having kids? Maybe some of us do, but it's not exactly universal. The drive to have kids is really strong for many people, and I can absolutely understand how that would be amplified by a longing for a child you, in your special experience, have already known and loved and who you miss horribly.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:51 am 

Sure, the film did a decent job at that. It was fine. But even the visions aspect doesn't really make sense if you think about it for a second - unless there is predestination, simply knowing the future changes it - like, if I know that in the next second I'm going to stub my toe, I'm obviously going to do something different, or at the very least it won't be a surprise, which means I won't feel the natural shock and/or anger that I would have otherwise. The whole Dune series did a much much better job of this, where the perception of time allows you to see a vast network of ever-evolving futures, depending on what choices you make. Slaughterhouse 5 did a much better job of perceiving time in that 4th dimensional way. Honestly I'm pretty sure the book/movie is the result of the author reading Slaughterhouse 5 and missing that the predestination/4th dimensional perception of time thing was supposed to be satire.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Sure, the film did a decent job at that. It was fine. But even the visions aspect doesn't really make sense if you think about it for a second - unless there is predestination, simply knowing the future changes it - like, if I know that in the next second I'm going to stub my toe, I'm obviously going to do something different, or at the very least it won't be a surprise, which means I won't feel the natural shock and/or anger that I would have otherwise.

100% the issue I had with how it ended.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 pm 

Right but we don't see that that isn't the case, either. All we know is that she
decided to attempt to recreate the same future she saw in her predestination visions.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:10 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Right but we don't see that that isn't the case, either. All we know is that she
decided to attempt to recreate the same future she saw in her predestination visions.

That's true, but then...
for her visions to make any sense she must enact them, otherwise it becomes null and void. Then the whole "fate vs. free will" debate reignites.

We'll probably be going around in circles, haha. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 am 

Right, it would've made a lot more sense if she also had visions of a life where she didn't have her daughter, and saw herself as being unhappy or unfulfilled or whatever.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 pm 

Has this been discussed already? I just visited IMDB and got this message on just about every movie / TV show / actor message board:

Quote:
IMPORTANT: IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Full announcement here.

Even though I've never registered to post there, I think this is disappointing. Sure, it gets old seeing almost every mediocre or slightly bad movie described by at least one topic starter as "the worst movie I've EVER seen." And the "Jack Nicholson: I warned him!" jokes were probably never that funny. But I still enjoyed going there and finding out what people thought about whatever flick or TV episode I just saw.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:14 am 

Good riddance, message boards and comment sections are usually fucking garbage. imdb's are no exception.

Watched a few flicks lately...

Manchester By the Sea - Really excellent drama. Layered character writing and performances, and a story that uncoiled itself as it went along... quite good, intense and classy drama that was compulsive to watch all the way through and never felt dull. Casey Affleck and Lucas Hedges are powerhouses and the film is directed in a somber, powerful way. Just a very solid, no frills drama.

Chopping Mall - Just a fun, turn your brain off slasher flick. This was really energetic, gory and stupid in an enjoyable way. The kills were over the top and the plot moved along with the ferocity of a hungry wolverine. I liked it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:47 am 

Huh. That news came out of left field. I wouldn't be upset seeing them go, but I also enjoyed reading some opinions on the movie, even if a lot of threads devolved into hate if gone on too long. I guess it doesn't matter if reviews are still there. I don't mind reading those.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:50 am 

Yeah honestly GOOD RIDDANCE. IMDB's message boards were full of ulgy hateful/shallow comments. The amount of times I saw a star's looks described in reasoning why a film was legitimately good and "oh i have a crush on the villain even though he raped and killed someone", or making fun of dead actors/actresses comments, and that's just a tiny minute example of the cesspool of shit that was on there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 am 

Split - I guess M. Night Shyamalan didn't care if we saw this one like he did with The Visit, as he didn't advertise with himself sitting in front of a camera begging us to see it before every other movie. This is a goofy, weird, over the top flick and I actually had fun with it... just for the sheer randomness and unpredictability and energy it had. The story and writing were pretty crap and the way it portrayed mental illness was pretty dumb and ignorant, and the twist at the end was dumb. But I enjoyed this in a 'so bad it's good' way.

Like, really, the "twist" is that this takes place in the same universe as Unbreakable... it's not a twist if you just withhold one random part of the story's universe from the viewers. At least he was able to pay Bruce Willis to come back I guess.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Pretty creepy, chilling fun horror movie. Atmospheric and tense and it had some great directing, with nice, eerie scenery and some stark, spooky moments throughout. I'm not sure it had enough substance to be a full hour and a half movie, as it seemed to stretch itself later and lost some mystique with the reveal of what was happening. But I liked more about it than not.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:08 am 

Yeah Split was decent, nothing incredible but I'd probably give it a 7/10. I will say that scene where

Kevin slowly stands up on the train as the newly-formed Beast while that awesome string melody swells was super-cool. Actually the whole soundtrack was a great blend of creepy industrial noises and dramatic orchestral bits.

But,

The psychiatrist's dialogue just sounded clunky and I had a hard time taking her seriously - her attempt at sounding shocked when she finds the girls in his cellar sounded ridiculous. :lol: And how often is MNS going to use the "character flashes back during the climax to some important skill/memory" thing - Remember the baseball bat thing at the end of Signs? But on the whole I'm legitimately interested in the sequel he's apparently already working on. Seeing Bruce Willis and McAvoy square off would be ridiculous fun.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 am 

Yeah, on the psychiatrist character

That was just his problem in all his movies - just boring, clunky dialogue, made worse this time because that actress was just not interesting at all. Every scene with her was just terrible filler and all her lines were both written and delivered poorly. Some of the other characters had the problem too, where their conversations felt ancillary to the entire rest of the movie - a common problem of his.

I would actually enjoy seeing Bruce Willis fight McAvoy's character, I admit. I hate that I actually want to see anything from Shyamalan.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:16 am 

the psychological thriller "Unknown" is great!
10/10

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 am 

Good review. I'll subscribe to your newsletter for more hot takes.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 am 

One sentence movie reviews have their place.

10,000 BC - Pleasant scenery, but not much else.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Tim Burton seems to be back in quirky mode, after making the surprisingly conventional Big Eyes. When his grandfather dies, the kid from Ender's Game visits Eva Green's version of the mutant school from X-Men. He has to decide if he wants to embrace his destiny there, or chicken out and go back home with his father, who's actually kind of a jerk.

Sometimes I rate movies more leniently if they're intended for people younger than me, so I'll say this was rather entertaining overall. It took a bit too long for the main conflict to present itself, and some things felt rushed, like the story's explanation of time travel. OTOH the visuals were good, and it did a nice job balancing the fun stuff with the scary stuff; the monsters were more brutal than I expected from this kind of movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JbO9lnVLE

This movie Get Out looks really awesome. Can't wait.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:04 pm 

^Yeah I think it has great potential. Though the trailer looks to have basically spoiled the entire movie which is such a shame! For a film like this, so much of its impact is through the viewer being right there with the protagonist in the mystery of what the heck is going on and then as the crazy reveal is shown. Imagine watching for the first time [the original version of] The Stepford Wives not knowing anything about its plot and how mind-blowing that was or would be. I wish trailers better veiled the plots and twists of movies...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 pm 

Oh yeah the movie made by Jordan Peele. It actually looks fucking hilarious.

Looking at everywhere it's just saying "horror". The trailer is totally a pisstake on modern horror movie tropes.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:33 pm 

As much as I love Key and Peele, I have to say their movie Keanu was a bit disappointing :-/.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:40 pm 

I haven't bothered with it. Even though I'm a fan of Key and Peele they're largely hit and miss, and it appears Keanu is the latter with a cute kitten.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:41 pm 

Yeah, the kitten is pretty fuckin' cute, that I won't deny. Still wasn't enough to make me recommend it to anyone.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 am 

I just got back from seeing Split. The "twist" was, uh, not great in the sense that its omission would've made more sense. Kinda agree with Emp about it being dumb. However the movie as a whole was pretty good, even though it was pretty
rapey

at times. It took various duds and a semi-okay film with The Visit to make this one good. :)

EDIT: James McAvoy was fantastic, too.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I just got back from seeing Split. The "twist" was, uh, not great in the sense that its omission would've made more sense. Kinda agree with Emp about it being dumb. However the movie as a whole was pretty good, even though it was pretty
rapey

at times. It took various duds and a semi-okay film with The Visit to make this one good. :)

EDIT: James McAvoy was fantastic, too.

Yeah all the creep shots of characters who are supposed to be teenagers was a little off-putting.

In fairness, I feel like the "twist" wasn't really supposed to a twist - the movie itself was played pretty straight and I think MNS deliberately kept "huge shocking twists" out of it to avoid all the self-plagiarization that his last few movies had. That thing at the end felt more like a "stinger", if that makes sense.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:36 pm 

^Well put. After hearing that there was a twist, I watched it and wasn't sure what everyone was talking about haha. I thought that the last bit was fun though and got me wondering/excited for what might come next.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:13 pm 

So right about now I would be seeing John Wick 2.. Had it actually been given any cinema release in Australia.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:40 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Yeah all the creep shots of characters who are supposed to be teenagers was a little off-putting.

In fairness, I feel like the "twist" wasn't really supposed to a twist - the movie itself was played pretty straight and I think MNS deliberately kept "huge shocking twists" out of it to avoid all the self-plagiarization that his last few movies had. That thing at the end felt more like a "stinger", if that makes sense.

Yeah, I agree, but I think it was supposed to be unsettling. Doesn't make the various half-naked shots, rape suggestions, and the apparent sexual abuse of young Casey make it any easier, haha.

Good point about the twist, though. I was actually expecting something stupid at the end - like it was all in Casey's mind or the therapist made it happen or it was all a big dream and we'd end up in the bloody Matrix - but it was handled well. I won't say M. Night Shyamalan is back, but this is definitely his strongest effort in a long time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
So right about now I would be seeing John Wick 2.. Had it actually been given any cinema release in Australia.

Erm, didn't you say you never watch films in the cinema anymore?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:31 pm 

My cinematic standards bar is pretty damn high, I rarely watch movies in the cinema unless it interests me or it's Star Wars, Disney or Marvel. Because Disney charges $50 for their physical releases (over double of a normal release) and that's outright bullshit. So probably four movies a year if there's stuff that's good and perhaps one movie if it's a shit year, so rarely is an accurate estimate and "never" (If I did say it) was an exaggeration.

Has anyone seen Bates Motel (NOT THE TV SHOW)? So randomly 30 minutes in, what is Lori Petty doing in this movie? I seriously don't get her appeal and literally anything she's in she's the worst part. Not funny and she's meant to be comic relief - check, annoying - check, unjustified chip-on-shoulder/rebellious attitude - check, bad acting - check, no chemistry with co stars - check. What an assortment of quality!!

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 am 

I'm pretty new to the horror genre. I'm looking for recommendations of good gory horror movies.

So far I like the Evil Dead, Halloween, and Hellraiser series.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:20 pm 

The Beyond ain't a bad place to start. Just be warned, the story is a bit of a mess.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:25 pm 

Try From Beyond while you're at it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm 

You must watch The Thing as soon as possible. Some of the absolute best gore effects you'll ever see in a movie.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:51 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
I'm pretty new to the horror genre. I'm looking for recommendations of good gory horror movies.

So far I like the Evil Dead, Halloween, and Hellraiser series.

Braindead/Dead Alive by Peter Jackson is one of the goriest, campiest horror-comedy movies ever made. Check that out if you don't mine some laughs with a mix of genuinely disgusting over the top gore.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:47 pm 

So the Mallrats 2 TV Series and Clerks 3 aren't happening.
Kevin Smith wrote:
Yes, Kids - Jay and Silent Bob are coming back! Here's the story: Sadly, Clerks III can't happen (one of our four leads opted out of the flick). So I worked on a #Mallrats movie instead... which also didn't happen because it turned into a #Mallrats series. I've pitched said sequel series to 6 different networks only to find no takers thus far. Mind you, I'm not complaining: nobody gets to make EVERYTHING they wanna make in this business (do they?). And I've been lucky to make anything at all, there's so much competition out there, so many much cooler ideas from fresh folks. And besides: I had #comicbookmen and then @tuskthemovie and @yogahosers (which all came together so crazy quickly), and the podcasts and #fatmanonbatman. With all of that, how could I bitch about no Clerks III or Mallrats 2? Then when I started directing @thecw shows, it was such a slice of Heaven on Earth, I happily put my Askewniverse sequels to the side. Since I sold #Clerks and #Mallrats years ago, they're owned by others, which limits my moves with my own material. I don't mind: back in the day, all I ever wanted to do was sell my stuff so I could be in the movie biz in the first place. So I don't own Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy or #Dogma... But I DO own #jayandsilentbob. So while I love playing with someone else's new toys on @cwtheflash and @Supergirl, I'm getting eager to play with my old toys again in the inter-connected View Askewniverse I spent the first half of my career creating. And so all last month, I had the time of my life laughing while writing "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot" - a fun flick in which the Jersey boys have to go back to Hollywood to stop a brand new reboot of the old "Bluntman & Chronic Movie" they hated so much. It's a tongue-in-cheek, silly-ass satire that pokes fun at the movie business's recent re-do obsession, featuring an all-star cast of cameos and familiar faces! And I already met with the good folks at Miramax and they're into it, so I'm hoping we'll be shooting in the summer! Never give up, kids. You CAN do anything you want in life, so long as you're patient and malleable.
:ugh:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:11 am 

Quote:
And so all last month, I had the time of my life laughing while writing "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot"

"Jay and Silent Bob are stupid characters. A couple of stoners who spout dumbass catchphrases like a third rate Cheech and Chong, or Bill and Ted."

Whatever, Kevin Smith. Get your act together and make Moose Jaws already.

Quote:

Have you watched anything from the Saw franchise? I thought the first was clearly the best, but IIRC all of them had their gory parts.

I'm also more enthusiastic about the later Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies (except the one with Renee Z and Matthew M) than many are, and those can get pretty violent, but the original is once again easily the peak of the franchise and isn't as gory as you'd expect.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:37 am 

The first Saw's the only really good one, and coincidentally it has the least emphasis on gory set pieces. Every movie after that gets progressively dumber and incoherent, although the sixth movie is actually kinda good. The final movie is the drizzling shits, though. Avoid that at all costs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642 ... 819  Next