Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:02 pm 

I still haven't played it but I feel like I have because I've watched literally hours of it on YouTube while bored at work.

Can't believe there's no PC port :(.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm 

I just bought it. I'm kinda lost for now, but the game seems to have a lot of stuff, so I'll probably catch up with it later on.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 am 

Dragon's Dogma is deeply flawed, but a shitton of fun. I hope you got the Dark Arisen version, Xlxlx. The Dark Arisen expansion is by far the best part of the game, though don't tackle it until very late game or you will get slaughtered.

Diamhea wrote:
The guns are cool at first but...it is still inherently skill-based and rolls a number every time you 'hit' an enemy. So just like the worst aspects of Morrowind, you sit there shooting a target dozens of times and if you aren't skilled enough it does fuck all and doesn't even register as hits.

Are you fucking kidding me? How is this even a thing?

Hype deflated. Now even that $2 seems like too much for such a ridiculously stupid concept. :ugh:

inhumanist wrote:
That is definitely true. Even though virtual dice rolls have much influence on the combat, the FPS mechanics still make half of the equation (except when you use VATS).

Hmmm what is VATS exactly? Can I use whatever that is to bypass this stupid dice roll system?
Quote:
What sucks is when you shoot someone in the head with a sniper rifle and they'll be like "t'is but a scratch" because your stats are too low.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Why do they do this? You can make a full-blown RPG without resorting to shit like this. So stupid.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:05 am 

Oooof, don't ever play Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, then...

(even though you should, because it's awesome)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 am 

Well, take into account that what Diamhea said is completely false. If you aim a gun at a guy and the bullet hits him, it counts as a hit. It's not bloody Morrowind!

It rolls for damage, not for whether you hit a guy, when you're not using VATS.

VATS basically pauses the world and lets you aim for specific body parts with a % chance to hit based on your RPG stats. You can't use it endlessly (unless you build that way) but still it does seem pretty OP, but it also has awesome animations. Basically if you're good at FPS, you can go around sniping dudes regularly, but if you're not, you can go the VATS route and let it be more of an RPG. Or some mix of both, usually.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, take into account that what Diamhea said is completely false. If you aim a gun at a guy and the bullet hits him, it counts as a hit. It's not bloody Morrowind!

It rolls for damage, not for whether you hit a guy, when you're not using VATS.

I see... still dumb but not as infuriating I guess...

Quote:
VATS basically pauses the world

Re- :ugh: x 3

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 am 

Thanks for clarifying; yeah it's been a while.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:13 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Dragon's Dogma is deeply flawed, but a shitton of fun. I hope you got the Dark Arisen version, Xlxlx. The Dark Arisen expansion is by far the best part of the game, though don't tackle it until very late game or you will get slaughtered.

I'm afraid it's the vanilla version. The DA edition of the game was also available, but at twice the vanilla game's price, and I just can't really afford that right now :(

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:15 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
VATS basically pauses the world

Re- :ugh: x 3

So just don't use it? The game is perfectly playable without it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:17 am 

Yeah I never used VATS...didn't really hamper the experience at all. That can safely be ignored (hope I'm actually right this time..).
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
So just don't use it? The game is perfectly playable without it.

I was hoping that it'd be something that let me bypass the stupid dice roll system is all. But it's possibly worse.

Man I don't know anymore, I was ready to let myself get convinced but even for a measly price I fear I'd get frustrated by such a combat system.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 am 

The combat system without VATS is that you shoot at guys or hit them with things and they die. It's no different from Borderlands.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:27 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
The combat system without VATS is that you shoot at guys or hit them with things and they die. It's no different from Borderlands.

:confused:

Now I'm confused.... seems to directly contradict what has been said prior.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:31 am 

Uh no, Fallout 3's FPS combat is far, far inferior to Borderlands's; guns have no real kick or weight to them what-so-ever and enemies require little-to-no ammo management. Braindead A.I. doesn't help matters.

I'd still take New Vegas over Borderlands because cell-shading gives me a headache but, eh, Borderlands has unquestionally superior combat.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:45 am 

Welp. Bought. I'm even more confused but whatever. It's the price of a coffee, so I might as well try it and see what it's like I guess.

....In three days, probably, since I'll be gone for the week-end. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:59 am 

If nothing else, New Vegas has one of the most impressive voice casts ever assembled for a game... excepting Matthew Perry of course :P .

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 am 

Dunno who Perry is, but that is indeed an impressive cast! No Templeman makes me sad though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 am 

...you've never watched/been subjected to FRIENDS? I envy you. Thankfully, Perry has a very small (albeit important) role in the game, so you won't have to hear him much. Zachary Levi, Felicia Day and Danny Treyo are all party members and each turns in a fantastic performance.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 am 

can someone just please gift her New Vegas so she can play it herself.

EDIT: Oh you bought it, good. PLAY IT FOR YOURSELF!

Last edited by Xeogred on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:48 am 

Are you incapable of reading two words into my posts? :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:49 am 

I'm going to bed.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:57 am 

Man, who gives a shit about the voice acting in New Vegas? I pretty much always read the dialog on the screen and then hit the space bar to skip through the slow-ass audio. The real problem with the game is that the challenge basically falls off a cliff about 4-5 hours in, and the game gets very, VERY same-y before you reach the end of the massive main quest. Some of the DLC is much much better in that regard. Old World Blues in particular was tons of fun and just about the right length.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:11 am 

Yeah, I need to get back and actually play the damn DLC. Also, said crusing-through-the-later-sections was brought to an abrupt halt for me when

Spoiler: show
I reached the final boss and realize the energy weapons I had dumped most of my points into were pretty fucking useless against him. :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Man, who gives a shit about the voice acting in New Vegas? I pretty much always read the dialog on the screen and then hit the space bar to skip through the slow-ass audio.

Then you missed out on fantastic voice direction/acting that contributed to the game in ways mere reading simply couldn't. And Michael Dorn. Don't forget about Michael Dorn.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:48 am 

darkeningday wrote:
...you've never watched/been subjected to FRIENDS? I envy you. Thankfully, Perry has a very small (albeit important) role in the game, so you won't have to hear him much.
"Yah, could I BE any more of a house?!" Perry is certainly no John Goodman in the three disc game of Rage.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 pm 

Last of Us confirmed for good, I dig it. Am I'm not really an Uncharted fan at all, the gameplay in this is way better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:44 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
:confused:

Now I'm confused.... seems to directly contradict what has been said prior.

That's because, as I said, the information Diamhea told you is exactly incorrect. There are RPG-ish stats behind how much damage you do, like how good the gun is (a busted-ass rusty musket isn't gonna be as good as a pristine Barrett .50 cal rifle), whether you've upgraded it, etc. along with your character stats and perks that affect gun performance, same as in Borderlands. In other words, if you put zero points at all into explosives and focus on energy weapons, you're not going to be able to totally wreck dudes with a rocket launcher compared to a laser carbine or something even though the rocket launcher is a rocket launcher. So...same as Borderlands. The only time dice rolls come into play in terms of if you'll hit something or not is when you use VATS, which is a totally optional RTWP sort of system that you can build for or not.

I agree with darkeningday that the general gunplay doesn't feel as smooth and natural as in Borderlands, but mechanically the games play similar combat-wise (other than the optional VATS system that I mentioned). Then of course Fallout has things like NPC's and dialogue and choices and different approaches to solving problems and whatnot. Oh, and there are actual melee weapons, so there's more melee variety than just default character attacks or pistol whips or whatever like in Borderlands.

Eh, whatever, just play the damn thing!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 am 

Can we stop reiterating the fact that I never research before I post shit and move on....please! :ah-ha:

Last.fm

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:15 pm 

Man, Friends is dope. Matthew Perry can be in all my media if he wants. That being said, I'd say the majority of the voice acting was fucking terrible, while some of it was really good. I usually skip a lot of the side quest dialogue as a lot of it is boring, but I usually try to listen to it as it helps with immersion.

Morrigan, I totally get why you have such an aversion to "dice roll" RPGs, but I happen to love them. My love of cRPGs comes from a tabletop RPG background, I guess you were never a big role player?

Anywho, the real draw to newer Fallout (especially New Vegas) is the exploration, environments and roleplaying aspects. The combat is sorta secondary. Like fsm said, the difficulty drops off pretty quickly. My current character is level 29, a silver tongued gunslinger who can talk or shoot his way out of any situation, but is not very good at sneaking/hacking/repair stuff. He's been able to blast his way out of any problem since lever 20 or so without much issue. I find myself using my massive stock of jets and med-x simply to use it up. Which reminds me, my guy is addicted to jet... I should take care of that before the whole battle of Hoover Dam thing.

edit: oh and the soundtrack's pretty good too. Once you get sick of the old timey radio, the ambient music is really well executed.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
My current character is level 29, a silver tongued gunslinger who can talk or shoot his way out of any situation, but is not very good at sneaking/hacking/repair stuff. He's been able to blast his way out of any problem since lever 20 or so without much issue. I find myself using my massive stock of jets and med-x simply to use it up. Which reminds me, my guy is addicted to jet...

Charming, technophobe gunslinger addicted to one of the cheapest drugs you can find. Note to self: next time I have to write a character for a story, use a Fallout build as a template. Should make for interesting ideas.

On another note, Unturned is a pretty fun alternative for those of us whose computer would self-destruct tryinng to run DayZ. Still unfinished, but it's getting there and it has been pretty fun so far.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:28 pm 

Risen 1 is $2.49 on Steam. People should buy it, play it, then tell me how shitty my taste in games must be since I consider it to be one of my favorites of all time. :D

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:15 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
edit: oh and the soundtrack's pretty good too. Once you get sick of the old timey radio, the ambient music is really well executed.

Considering half of New Vegas just reuses old Fallout 1-2 music? :P

For the best. They better bring Mark Morgan back for any sequel coming up, I thought Fallout 3's music was awful. Thank goodness for mods... I put Fallout 1-2 music in that one as well and it does wonders.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:31 pm 

I also finished up The Last of Us tonight (PS4). It was really addicting and awesome. I wouldn't put it above Bioshock Infinite (my roommate always compares the two since they came out the same year, and the parallels to Ellie and Elizabeth game design wise are interesting). But yeah pretty damn good, and again I'm not huge on Uncharted or even zombie stuff in general. The melee combat was brutal and reminded me of Condemned more than anything... it's almost disturbing witnessing how much of a monster Joel is himself. But, can't blame him.

And on a final note there, I absolutely loved the ending. Really did not see that coming at all and I'm glad it was not cliche' and they didn't take the easy route. :thumbsup:

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Risen 1 is $2.49 on Steam. People should buy it, play it, then tell me how shitty my taste in games must be since I consider it to be one of my favorites of all time. :D

I don't think people need to play anything more to tell you about your shitty taste...

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:35 am 

To be fair, Risen 1 (on PC) is a legit good game and probably the highlight of Piranha Bytes' more reputable catalogue (though most would say Gothic 2, which is certainly on-par). I can't vouch for darkening's taste in general, but he is on the mark here. For under $3.00, that's a bloody steal.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:40 am 

I've been playing Skyrim lately on my Xbox 360. Never thought I would get into it much but so far it's been pretty good!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:25 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
To be fair, Risen 1 (on PC) is a legit good game and probably the highlight of Piranha Bytes' more reputable catalogue (though most would say Gothic 2, which is certainly on-par). I can't vouch for darkening's taste in general, but he is on the mark here. For under $3.00, that's a bloody steal.

I will never be vindicated for admitting I like Dragon Age. Although, curiously enough, mainly by people who haven't actually played any of the DA games themselves...

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:59 am 

Isn't the first Dragon Age widely praised, though? Can't imagine you'd get much flak for that. The second game perhaps. Not sure what reputation the new one is building. I haven't played any of 'em myself, but it has never seemed like a particularly controversial franchise to me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:55 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Isn't the first Dragon Age widely praised, though?

It was, but not here.

Amusingly enough when it first came out, Shutdown could not stop jizzing over it week after week; in fact, he was the whole reason I bought the game in the first place. Later on he not only disowned it but referred to it repeatedly as "dogshit."

Personally, I'd recommend the first game especially since you can find it for pennies these days (was even free for a while not long ago) and it's extremely PC-centric; the RTWP-combat is serviceable, but the real strength of the game is in its fantastic quest design with a borderline insane number of options for literally every quest in the game, and an astonishingly well-realized world that manages to both be a piece of standard Tolkienian genre fiction while also managing subverting many of those tropes without ever approaching bullshit Cabin in the Woods-style "subversion for the sake of subversion" hipsterism. The whole premise of the game lead writer David Gaider set out to make was one which was outwardly cliche and simplistic, but inwardly rich, detailed and unique, subverting conventions only when they would strengthen the narrative. It's a lovely game, and is certainly the highlight of Bioware's games from a writing perspective.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:45 am 

You know, Darkneningday, I believe that I'd be much more prone to taking into account the things you praise if you didn't trash something I like in the process every single time :lol: And I don't say that in a petty, "stop hating what I love" kind of way, but it's more like, whenever you speak highly of something, I think "alright, this sounds interesting", and right after that I immediately remember that my standards for quality and just overall taste are massively different from yours.

Call me prejudiced, but that's how I feel.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641 ... 940  Next